Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • beadwitched
    • By beadwitched 19th Sep 07, 5:56 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    beadwitched
    • 19th Sep 07, 5:56 PM
    cheap contact lenses
    • 19th Sep 07, 5:56 PM
    The price you quote for monthly coloured lenses from contactlenses.co.uk is for a box of 2 lenses, not 2 pairs. I'm sure most lens wearers know this already, but just wanted to point this out. I buy from lensbase.com - 10.50 for 1 box (2 lenses), slightly cheaper if you buy more. Be aware that if each eye is not the same prescription, you would have to buy 2 boxes minimum (2 pairs 21). P+P is included
    Last edited by beadwitched; 19-09-2007 at 6:07 PM.
  • phaemon
    • 20th Sep 07, 5:31 PM
    I've used the DaySoft ones
    • 20th Sep 07, 5:31 PM
    I've switched from using Focus Dailies to the daysoft ones. I actually prefer the daysoft ones and they are a fair bit cheaper (13.98 a month, or you can get 3 months for 40 I think).

Also, they have four days' worth outside the main boxes, so you can try them out and if you don't like, just send them back. I'd meant to post about these earlier, but I wasn't sure where these things are supposed to be posted.

Oh well, I hopefully joining these forums will get me in gear to get my bank charges back...
  • Debi
    • 20th Sep 07, 9:27 PM
    • 20th Sep 07, 9:27 PM
    The info about Boots own brand dailies is incorrect. They use Ciba Vision Focus Dailies not Bausch and Lomb soflens. They have just launched a Boots premium daily disposable which are Focus Dailies All Day Comfort.
  • dellwear
    • 21st Sep 07, 2:57 PM
    • 21st Sep 07, 2:57 PM
    I find visiondirect.com very good - they also do a discount code regularly.

Currently the code is "fall15" for 15% off your bill

I just ordered a years worth of Focus Dailys for ~130

That combined with the mail in rebates that they offer to US citizens (but will give you too if you ring the head office) they tend to work out the cheapest!
  • pleiades
    • 21st Sep 07, 3:09 PM
    • 21st Sep 07, 3:09 PM
    I've always used Specsavers whom I've found very good. I'm currently using the easyvision elite monthly silicone hydrogel lenses which are 13 a month including the cleaning solution.

And an added bonus is if you pay your contact lenses by direct debit you get money off your glasses (either 30 or 30% - can't remember which!).
  • Agnes
    • 22nd Sep 07, 3:44 PM
    • 22nd Sep 07, 3:44 PM
    Hello I am very interested to find out if I can get my lenses cheaper. I wear Variofocul contact lenses. I cannot find any reference to these can you help?
  • dellwear
    • 22nd Sep 07, 10:54 PM
    • 22nd Sep 07, 10:54 PM
    Hello I am very interested to find out if I can get my lenses cheaper. I wear Variofocul contact lenses. I cannot find any reference to these can you help?
    Originally posted by Agnes
    Try www.visiondirect.com

As above you can use the code "fall15" for an extra 15% off
  • Agnes
    • 23rd Sep 07, 12:53 AM
    • 23rd Sep 07, 12:53 AM
    Thanks for that dellwear, I will look into that . cheers
  • cdownton
    Specsavers and checkups
    Hi
    I agree with the poster who talked about Specsavers. I've been with them for a good few years and whilst some branches are pretty hopeless, you do get very similar prices for contacts as the online stores.
    They even sell direct on their website and if I'm not mistaken that's the same price as in store - where you'll get checkups and emergencies included. For acuvue it's the difference of about 8 every three months - I think this is worth paying for peace of mind that you can go and talk to someone if something is wrong. When you see the optician they can also talk to you professionally about changing lenses, trying new ones etc - you won't get that through a website!
    That's my view anyway!
    Christian
    • liz bartun
    • By liz bartun 29th Sep 07, 10:59 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    liz bartun
    Free aftercare with ASDA website
    Hi. If you are registered with ASDA opticians and buy your lenses through ASDA website, you get a voucher for a free aftercare appointment. Quids in!! I buy Ciba Vision Night & Day at half the price Optical Express wanted me to pay through their branch. I pay 78 for 6 months supply of lenses and can earn 1.95 through Quidco too.

Liz
  • Agnes
    Hi can anyone help me understand my presription? I want to order online now here are both scripts

Right= dist. Sph = +3.75 Cyl= -0.25 Axis = 100
    near add +2.50

Left = dist. Sph = + 5.25 Cyl= -0.50 Axis = 100
    near add +2.50

Contact Lens Multifocal

Right = Base curve = 8.8 Diameter = 14.5 Sph = +3.50 add high
    Left = Base curve = 8.8 Diameter = 14.5 Sph = + 5.00 add high

Hope there is someone who understands this because some of the lenses I selected had base curve only 8.6 and Diameter only 14.00 or 14.2 and I am not sure what this means.
    • liz bartun
    • By liz bartun 8th Oct 07, 10:36 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    liz bartun
    Hi can anyone help me understand my presription? I want to order online now here are both scripts

Right= dist. Sph = +3.75 Cyl= -0.25 Axis = 100
    near add +2.50

Left = dist. Sph = + 5.25 Cyl= -0.50 Axis = 100
    near add +2.50

Contact Lens Multifocal

Hope there is someone who understands this because some of the lenses I selected had base curve only 8.6 and Diameter only 14.00 or 14.2 and I am not sure what this means.
    Hi Agnes. I'm no expert but it looks to me the first prescription is for glasses and the second is the contact lens prescription. Its not unusual for the strengths to be different.

You need to use the contact lens prescription and you will need the correct base curve, or the lenses will be extremely uncomfortable. The most common base curve is 8.6 and some lenses only come in this specification. Personally, I need 8.4.

You should be able to find the same lenses you've previously had dispensed from your optician on the internet (although they may be under a different name which can be confusing - just ask your optician). Anyhow - a reputable online retailer will contact your optician to verify they have the correct details.

Hope this helps.

Liz
  • Ed Eichman
    First Comments on Cheap Contact Lenses Article
    Martin's Cheap-Contact-Lenses claims to be updated quarterly, but at the very bottom of the bottom of the page (as of Oct. 11th, 2007) says "last updated 19.12.06". Be aware that the prices have not been updated in a while. I will be commenting on many points of the article eventually, but let's start with...

Ciba Vision - Focus Dailies All Day Comfort
    are very popular contact lenses, and VisionDirect.co.uk comes well under the prices offered by LensPlanet. The prices listed on Martin's site are a small subset of all products and shops, so I would recommend looking at a number of shops for the contact lenses that you need to buy before buying. In any case, VisionDirect.co.uk has been in business for quite a while, and I know for experience that their customer support, ethics and (most importantly) prices are "best of breed" in the UK market.

For price comparison, be sure to also check out Google Product Search (this link is the UK link for contact lenses).

Disclaimer: VisionDirect.co.uk is a client of mine. However, I am also a fan, since I like the way they do business.
    • wishiwasarichgirl
    • By wishiwasarichgirl 11th Oct 07, 7:43 PM
    • 5,386 Posts
    • 6,335 Thanks
    wishiwasarichgirl

Contact Lens Multifocal

the specifications you have are for the Bausch & Lomb Soflens Multifocal, they come in an 8.5 & 8.8 BC, and a low add (+1.50) or a high add (+2.50)
    WigglyFB

• MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 11th Oct 07, 8:01 PM
    • 8,116 Posts
    • 42,295 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Martin's Cheap-Contact-Lenses claims to be updated quarterly, but at the very bottom of the bottom of the page (as of Oct. 11th, 2007) says "last updated 19.12.06". Be aware that the prices have not been updated in a while. I will be commenting on many points of the article eventually, but let's start with...
    Hi ed, actually the article was updated about a month ago. You'll see the date you refer to is at the bottom of every page on the site - and as it states it is the terms and conditions and privacy policy that were last updated on 19.12.06 not the article.

It did make me smile a bit - they say there's nothing new under the sun - but in the four years of this site, that's the first time anyone's ever thought (well reported) that date as being the article update

martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Ed Eichman
    Wow, you actually man the forums? I'm impressed! Thanks for taking the time to correct me.

Sorry for the false accusation, and of COURSE no one ever reported this - it's clear (in retrospect) that the date refers to the privacy policy - duh! Suggestion - could you add the updated date on the cheap-contact-lenses forum?
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • Ed Eichman
    Google Product Search
    Martin has a section title "External Daily Updated Contact Lens Comparisons", and notes that Kelkoo and PriceRunner are paid sites. There is also a comparison site that is free for merchants (and for users, of course) - Google Product Search (a.k.a. Froogle).

I've dealt with all the price comparison sites I can find: NexTag, PriceGrabber, Kelkoo, etc., and I was continually frustrated by the fact that merchants show the quantity discounted price as the single item price (i.e. if you sell donuts for 1 GBP, and 10 for 9 GBP, the would list the price of a donut as 0.90 GBP). The posed a dilemma for VisionDirect.co.uk - should they show their quantity discounted price and "correctly" show as the cheapest, or "correctly" show their 1-item price and show further down the list even though they were cheaper?
    Froogle made this easier - from my experience, they actually ENFORCE that you show the one item price. I was very impressed by how actively a "free" site was reacting.

Ideally, these sites would allow you to list BOTH single item and bulk prices, so that people like us (people trying to be money saving experts) can check the quantity discounted price (we all know about Earning 177% on Bulk Purchases, right?). However, as always, you have to make a user interface that everyone can understand... and try to use it along with merchants that can't agree on what fair is...

YOUR input on this would be appreciated.
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • Agnes
    Hello and thank you all so much I know they are two presciptions, one for glasses and one for contacts, but I didn't know if you needed to know both. Yes the lenses I have used for years now are the Bausch & Lomb, I first had multifocal, about 20 years ago when they first made they were German and I had to keep the one pair for a year, with 3 steps of cleansing and pay an insurance to cover replacement!! Well I have to say a HUGE THANK YOU to MARTIN I found exactly the same ones, on Visiondirect am waiting for delivery I have been paying 300 per anum, and I've paid 130 on here that includes not only the cleaner, but the soothing eye drops.

Once again thank you so much
    • nedmundo
    • By nedmundo 14th Oct 07, 10:16 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    nedmundo
    If you need soothing eyedrops, it suggests that perhaps they might not be the most suitable lens type for your eyes!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,556Users online

Martin's Twitter