PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• another NSD for me :j
    was going to go buy odds n ends to make soup for lunches but decided to have a look in freezer first. found a couple of surprise soups so one is out defrosting for tomorrow. :)
    so just got to get some milk on way to work tomorrow for breakfasts.
    last wee drop of fruit loops need eaten before i start on the museli box.
  • Shopping day today

Al** - £29.21
    Pe** at H*** - £9.99
    Lo*al - £2.75

Total Spend £42.65

Hopefully I don't need to spend anymore :)
    Seal pot challenge no 7- :) # 331 Saved £140 SPC - Target £30
    Grocery challenge - £100 a week
    Weekly Spend Challenge - £40 :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    No more shopping to buy this week, and tomorrow DGD is taking me out to lunch and on Saturday night my sis-in-law is treating me to dinner so I have more than enough stuff to use this week and probably into the middle of next week.Tonight I am cutting my rib eye steak from the freezer in half and having half tonight and the other bit tomorrow, more than enough for two nights dinners just for me with lots of salad and veggies
  • annem38
    annem38 Posts: 108
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hello, can you put me down for £240 for a 5 week feb, still chuffed with just coming in under budget for jan, so hoping i can shave a tiny bit more off, to me its more difficult in a 5 week month as tend to do a big shop every 4 weeks. ah well time will tell!

btw, can anyone give me a flour tortilla/wrap recipe, sure i use to do one which was just flour and water and oil, am into my mexican cooking at the moment and have just purchased ( at £5.99 a bag :eek:) some masa harina, as recommended by thomasina miers and it was not good, not good at all!

thanking you in advance

anne
  • Right, I've finally got my head around this stuff!
    I know this is gonna be a real pain, but instead of counting my last spends, I'm gonna go from my next pay day to my following pay day. So this is from 31/01 til 28/02. So I'm scrapping my last budget and go for a maximum of £300.

I've written out a proper monthly budget spreadsheet with annual spends, monthly direct debits, our debts, etc. so hopefully this will help. Fingers crossed anyways...:o
    When it's dark, look for stars. When it's raining look for rainbows.
    DFW - Tesco CC: [STRIKE]£3149.71[/STRIKE]£0! Capital One CC:[STRIKE] £2242.01[/STRIKE]£0! :T Overdraft: [STRIKE]£283[/STRIKE] £0! :T
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,835
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Muffin and cuppa mid afternoon.
    Dinner was Prawn Curry, Basmati Rice and Garlic/Coriander Naan Bread - all from stocks.

Tuesdaysdinner.jpg?t=1359489689
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 1277/2024 March - 1384/406
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 First 4 Week Period £11.75/£100 2nd £33.71/£100 3rd £57.13/£100 4th £13.65/£100 NSD - 60
    2024 Craft Makes - 113 Craft Spends 2024 £205.99/£500
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,045
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Bexim wrote: »
    So, not the best start to my first GC! We began the month with no bread, so both had to buy lunch. I got flustered and suckered in to a Meal Deal (shocking!), £3 down the drain, OH managed much better with his £1.80, but still, nearly £5 wasted on nothing. :mad:

Know it's too late now, but for another time I make pasta salad if there's no bread, e.g. tuna mayo mixed with pasta, or pasta with salad veg dressed in lemon juice and olive oil. Couscous is also nice if you have any in as a change.
    Literally just had a phone call offering me a job I interviewed for yesterday! So much stress off our shoulders :) Financial stability wahoo!

Well done and congratulations
    annem38 wrote: »
    btw, can anyone give me a flour tortilla/wrap recipe, sure i use to do one which was just flour and water and oil, am into my mexican cooking at the moment and have just purchased ( at £5.99 a bag :eek:) some masa harina, as recommended by thomasina miers and it was not good, not good at all!

My wraps recipe:

250g flour, for best results a 50/50 mix of plain and strong flours
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tbsp veg oil

Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the oil and rub in. Add warm water slowly (probably about 120ml). Knead very well (about 10 mins). Divide into 8 balls and leave to rest covered for 30 mins.

Heat a frying pan or griddle to high.

Roll the balls out as thin as you can, until it makes a round of roughly 7 inches. Slap onto the griddle, cook for around 45 seconds until puffed up, then turn and cook on the other side for around the same. Make all the tortillas the same way. HTH!

I'll just add this to the index as well :)
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've went way over budget on jan so i'm down to £40 for feb, with the exception of 2 days when i'm away.

I will be doing a meal plan a meal plan for the freezer, and doing the school snack money envelopes at the start of the month then whats left is what will go in my purse and not a penny more, i will try pick up whoopsie and lidl fruit but if i've no luck i have frozen berries and tinned fruit.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

Literally just had a phone call offering me a job I interviewed for yesterday! So much stress off our shoulders :) Financial stability wahoo!

Congratulations on the job offer:T

Nipped to MR S for sanitary towels, basics jam, basics bread, a pack of choc bics for DH lunches and 2 YS cheese and onion rolls for a post work snack for him. Total spend £5.99 after using a coupon.

I also have a bottle of wine and £2.60 in gr3ggs to add from the weekend. I'm not sure if I added my M&S shop from the weekend so will have to check the thread.

Really pleased with tonight's tea. Recreated the garlic and rosemary diced pots I love from Mr T with the last of the garlic butter and made a GF sponge cake for lunches but used half of it with some warmed value jam and a carton of custard for pud:). That sounds like a lot of cake but the GF flour mixes I get on prescription make cakes that do not rise much at all.

I have also cooked 2 jacket pots while I had the oven on for our lunches tomorrow. When I was in mr s earlier I was thinking we had nothing in for lunches but after a pause in one of the aisles and a good think I realised that we do have enough in to cover lunches this week.

College for me tomorrow so a late tea of omelette, chips and beans planned for when I get in.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • gien
    gien Posts: 1,649
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Argh! Had to pick up extra bits and bobs (including half decent wine) as we had friends pop in and stay (lovely to see them though).
    So,i mislaid some of the receipts but it must be close to 100 so I'm taking my total so far to 256.
    Action plan: list everything in the cupboards tomorrow and plan out a load of meals!
    Trying to keep in budget.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport