Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 28th Jan 13, 6:00 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Utilita
    • 28th Jan 13, 6:00 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Utilita 28th Jan 13 at 6:00 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Utilita

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 23-10-2014 at 12:50 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
    • muddlemand
    • By muddlemand 3rd Jun 14, 5:28 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    muddlemand
    • 3rd Jun 14, 5:28 PM
    Your comparison tool got it wrong
    • 3rd Jun 14, 5:28 PM
    With a Leominster (north Herefordshire) HR postcode, Utilita came up top on your list (I filtered for zero standing charge) but on the phone I was told it's not within their supply area. Just letting you know.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 3rd Jun 14, 6:04 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 3rd Jun 14, 6:04 PM
    Your comparison tool got it wrong
    • 3rd Jun 14, 6:04 PM
    With a Leominster (north Herefordshire) HR postcode, Utilita came up top on your list (I filtered for zero standing charge) but on the phone I was told it's not within their supply area. Just letting you know.
    Originally posted by muddlemand
    To be fair, I would have assumed Leominster (HR6 postcode) was in the Midlands rather than the Swalec supply region.

The Utilita sites says they supply the Midlands region but not Swalec (currently)
    http://www.utilita.co.uk/about-us/utilita-supply-areas

Perhaps you live just on the boundary and are indeed in the Swalec supply region. But I think its a little unfair to single out the MSE comparison service, as I think all comparison sites will also put you in the Midlands supply region based on your postcode. (Energyhelpline certainly puts HR6 in the Midlands region)

So if you are in the Swalec supply region, take care with all comparison sites, as they will probably be giving you results for the Midlands region which will mislead you.

(If you put an unrecognised postcode into EHL, you can then choose the supply region applicable to you)

Edit: I thought you were currently with iSupply? And having only switched to them in September 2013 (and they usually have 12 month early exit fees) why are you looking to switch now?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=65210567&highlight=#post65210567
    Last edited by footyguy; 03-06-2014 at 6:14 PM.
    • muddlemand
    • By muddlemand 3rd Jun 14, 6:59 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    muddlemand
    • 3rd Jun 14, 6:59 PM
    • 3rd Jun 14, 6:59 PM
    Thanks footyguy, but all I did was put the postcode in. That's all the Utilita guy on the phone did, too. So their database and MSE's are different. I wasn't complaining, I was bringing a disparity to MSE's attention. I was being helpful. Don't jump on me!

I haven't come across the term Swalec before. I did look at the map you link to but that was after this happened. I just went through from the Cheap Energy Club to Utilita to get the phone number! (Similarly, I wasn't "singling it out", I tried it before the others. If I'd found they did the same, I'd let them know too. In fact uSwitch doesn't find Utilita on my search.) None of them actually talk about region.

I thought you were currently with iSupply? And having only switched to them in September 2013 (and they usually have 12 month early exit fees) why are you looking to switch now?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=65210567&highlight=#post65210567
    Originally posted by footyguy
    I'm with iSupply, where I live. Good stalking...! HR6 was my mother's house and is empty now. (Could be why I haven't heard of Swalec; I've never lived around there.) After an appalling time with ScottishPower (complaint ongoing), I was looking for a zero-standing-charge tariff since there's no power being used there, and without the MSE comparison tool which lets you search only that kind, I wouldn't have known they existed.

By the way, I just tried the same search with my own postcode - where I live (which is Wiltshire). MSE still tells me Utilita, but Utilita's website does exactly what it does with the HR6 postcode, tells me they can't quote. It only says this could be for many reasons but I'm not going to phone just to check, as I'd pay more with them so it's not worth the time. (Even though their pick-up-the-phone time was fine. )

... And by the other way(!) I'd save 40 just by switching to iSupply's latest fixed tariff, even allowing for the 30 exit fee. But for 40 I probably won't bother, I have lots on at the moment.
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 5th Jun 14, 1:16 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    • 5th Jun 14, 1:16 PM
    • 5th Jun 14, 1:16 PM
    Hi muddlemand

Thanks for your comments on Cheap Energy Club. Would you mind dropping us an email to energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com so that we can take a look into this for you?

Thanks

MSE Dan
    • muddlemand
    • By muddlemand 5th Jun 14, 7:13 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    muddlemand
    • 5th Jun 14, 7:13 PM
    • 5th Jun 14, 7:13 PM
    Hi muddlemand

Thanks for your comments on Cheap Energy Club. Would you mind dropping us an email to energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com so that we can take a look into this for you?

Thanks

MSE Dan
    Originally posted by MSE Dan L
    OK, will do.
  • sallykyns
    • 28th Aug 14, 11:16 AM
    Utilita today - To be trusted or not?
    • 28th Aug 14, 11:16 AM
    Hi forum members.

I've just joined the MSE energy saving club and the best alternative tariff that was offered was with Utilita. My first reaction was to Google the company. I discovered that they existed in the 2000's, went bankrupt in '05, and after some dodgy sounding financial tricks, were bought out by EDF Energy.

They're back, under the same name (but possibly under a different parent company), they are listed by MSE as a new company with little in the way of feedback as yet. I'm really surprised that MSE didn't pick up on the re-emergence of them considering what a disastrous end they came to less than ten years ago.

My first reaction is to avoid them like the plague, given their past track record. Does anyone have information that would change my mind?

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

308Posts Today

3,629Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • These scams are nothing to do with bitcoin. They are just scams. My view on bitcoin (though a little old now) a? https://t.co/i6rRIOr5hk

• SCAM! SCAM! SCAM! I have nothing to do with 'Bitcoin trading' or any get rich quick type advert or scheme. Don't t? https://t.co/WjitDxAc26

• Now I've heard it all. Apparently my politics is dictated by who follows me! You couldn't make this up. PS and for? https://t.co/hoPf6Jp34N

• Follow Martin