Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 28th Jan 13, 3:41 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Spark
    • 28th Jan 13, 3:41 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Spark 28th Jan 13 at 3:41 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Spark

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part

• Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-07-2017 at 3:17 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
  • tazzer8
    • 4th Feb 13, 10:23 AM
    Sparks may fly!
    • 4th Feb 13, 10:23 AM
    well....ive dont it! After being with Southern Electric for both my gas and electric ive switched based on the easy to use new Energy Club by MSE. Heres the comparison.

1. I was on the standard gas and electric tarrif with SE.
    2. I have a 4 bedroom detached and extended home but only two people living here.
    3. I was paying 85 a month via DD for electric and 82 a month via DD for gas.
    4. I was in credit by 400 ish in my electricity account and 146 in credit in my gas account. As Usual SE strongly advise that I keep it in there - hmmm..i wonder why lol! I mean I like a buffer in there for heavy usage months but come on SE!
    5. The comparison in Pence per K/Wh is this:

GAS: SE price = 13.42 ppkw Spark = 11.2 ppkw
    ELEC: SE price = 4.29 ppkw Spark= 2.729 ppkw

In Summary....ill get the 546 credit paid back to my account and ill also be paying around 32 a month less than I was. BINGO!!!!

Im sure that SE would say "we could have matched that if you went for a different tarriff - eg a dual fuel" but if thats the case why not suggest that to me instead of ripping me off for years. Im a savy buyer with insurance etc but never got round to sorting out energy. With this now being the 2nd biggest household expenditure after mortgage im glad I did!

Thanks MSE!
    • markcheng
    • By markcheng 4th Feb 13, 11:47 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    markcheng
    • 4th Feb 13, 11:47 AM
    • 4th Feb 13, 11:47 AM
    When you read the terms and conditions of Sparks, it is not quite traditional as normal supplier. It seems want money first and not sure about the cancellation period. If it is clearer or easier to understand, I would have chosen this one.

At the moment, I am still hesitant to sign up with them.
    • halifax50
    • By halifax50 4th Feb 13, 12:54 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    halifax50
    • 4th Feb 13, 12:54 PM
    • 4th Feb 13, 12:54 PM
    I would so like to make the savings suggested by transferring to Sparks but have read so many negaive things about them.
    A sample can be found on the Review Centre web site:

I cant post a link but the below without the spaces should help you find them.

http:// www. reviewcentre.com / reviews199569.html

I look foward to hearing more positive reviews over the coming months, but for the moment I will not take the risk.
  • Wywth
    • 4th Feb 13, 1:05 PM
    • 4th Feb 13, 1:05 PM
    I would so like to make the savings suggested by transferring to Sparks but have read so many negaive things about them.
    A sample can be found on the Review Centre web site:

I cant post a link but the below without the spaces should help you find them.

http:// www. reviewcentre.com / reviews199569.html

I look foward to hearing more positive reviews over the coming months, but for the moment I will not take the risk.
    Originally posted by halifax50
    Don't, whatever you do, look at any other energy supplier's reviews on that site, else you'll end up using candles
    (that's assuming you don't look at candle supplier reviews on that site )
  • dragonwitch
    • 4th Feb 13, 3:01 PM
    energy comparison
    • 4th Feb 13, 3:01 PM
    I have just used the energy comparison site and was informed that my savings would be around 222 per annum with Spark Energy. I went direct to the Spark energy website and did the exact same comparison with exact same figures and the saving for the exact same deal came up as 17 per annum. So be careful to double check all the figures before you decide on proceeding with a change as all may not be as it appears!!
  • Wywth
    • 4th Feb 13, 3:26 PM
    • 4th Feb 13, 3:26 PM
    I have just used the energy comparison site and was informed that my savings would be around 222 per annum with Spark Energy. I went direct to the Spark energy website and did the exact same comparison with exact same figures and the saving for the exact same deal came up as 17 per annum. So be careful to double check all the figures before you decide on proceeding with a change as all may not be as it appears!!
    Originally posted by dragonwitch
    Did you use Martins site? I really don't think he sits there making the numbers up ... but maybe he is?

I suppose it would be too much to ask for all the details? (Edit: Thought so - Newbie's left without answering )
    i..e
    1. What is your supply region (or first part of your postcode)
    2. What is your annual consumption in kWh
    3. What is your current supplier and tariff
    4. What comparison site did you actually use

Btw, if you use two different comparison sites and get the same results, it is most unlikely they have both made the same error (but still theoretically possible) - so always double check using two
    If you don't get the same result, how do you know which is correct unless you keep trying until you get the same result from another source?
    Last edited by Wywth; 04-02-2013 at 4:03 PM. Reason: No response from Newbie!
    • bebewoo
    • By bebewoo 4th Feb 13, 3:38 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    bebewoo
    • 4th Feb 13, 3:38 PM
    • 4th Feb 13, 3:38 PM
    Did you switch go smoothly? Yes, so smoothly that I didn't even notice Spark had taken over my supply without permission until Npower sent me a "Sorry you are leaving letter"
    Have you had problems since? Yes Spark rejected my erroneous transfer request. Their tariff is way more expensive than my previous supplier was. I'm trying to transfer via the regular route now, but have read so many reviews about them refusing to let people leave that I am not hopeful.
    Is it easy to contact? No, am on hold for ages.

Good luck everyone moving to Spark. They are the Hotel California of energy companies. And they text you all the time, sometimes several times a day. I cannot believe MSE is recommending them.
  • Wywth
    • 4th Feb 13, 4:06 PM
    • 4th Feb 13, 4:06 PM
    Did you switch go smoothly? Yes, so smoothly that I didn't even notice Spark had taken over my supply without permission until Npower sent me a "Sorry you are leaving letter"
    Have you had problems since? Yes Spark rejected my erroneous transfer request. Their tariff is way more expensive than my previous supplier was. I'm trying to transfer via the regular route now, but have read so many reviews about them refusing to let people leave that I am not hopeful.
    Is it easy to contact? No, am on hold for ages.

Good luck everyone moving to Spark. They are the Hotel California of energy companies. And they text you all the time, sometimes several times a day. I cannot believe MSE is recommending them.
    Originally posted by bebewoo
    Can I ask how they obtained your mobile number to text you on if, as you suggest, you never asked them to supply you in the first place?

Why didn't you (a) stop the transfer when nPower sent you a 'sorry you are leaving' letter or (b) ask nPower to process an erroneous transfer if you had left it too long?
    (It's always better to ask the losing supplier to do this as they have something to lose by not acting on your request)

Why do you want to leave them anyway? They seem really cheap, whether that is 222 or just 17. Maybe they have done you a favour and saved you a few quid?
    Last edited by Wywth; 04-02-2013 at 4:10 PM.
    • bebewoo
    • By bebewoo 4th Feb 13, 4:29 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    bebewoo
    Can I ask how they obtained your mobile number to text you on if, as you suggest, you never asked them to supply you in the first place? Er they asked for it when I rang them up to ask what was going on.

Why didn't you (a) stop the transfer when nPower sent you a 'sorry you are leaving' letter or (b) ask nPower to process an erroneous transfer if you had left it too long?
    (It's always better to ask the losing supplier to do this as they have something to lose by not acting on your request) I did and Spark refused npower's erroneous transfer request.

I bet that this cheap deal is the same as Spark's other cheap deal which was only for the first few applicants. Read the reviews about Spark. Or carry on as you are thinking you are getting a great deal, you won't be so happy when the random bills and direct debits start.
  • Wywth
    Er they asked for it when I rang them up to ask what was going on.
    And you gave it them?

I did and Spark refused npower's erroneous transfer request.
    So presumably you escalated your complaint you had made with nPower to the Ombudsman service?
    • bebewoo
    • By bebewoo 4th Feb 13, 5:07 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    bebewoo
    Yes I escalated my claim to the ombudsman.
    They sent me a proforma letter and did nothing.
    I'm stopping talking now, sorry I started.
    • LindieR
    • By LindieR 4th Feb 13, 5:10 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    LindieR
    Wywth are you with sparks? have you had a different experience?? Do you work for them?? are you just here to find fault or do you think you comments are actually constructive?
  • Wywth
    Do you work for them??
    Originally posted by LindieR
    Yeah, and British Gas, and Eon, and Ebico, and nPower, and Scottish Power ,and ...and ... and... if you were to listen to all the responses I get about other posts I make.

I just wish they all paid me
  • huewen
    No energy in SPARK customer service
    They might be top of the MSE list for saving money but are bottom of mine for customer service. I tried to contact them by phone and email and never got a single reply!
    • paulh2008
    • By paulh2008 5th Feb 13, 4:05 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    paulh2008
    I have just used the energy comparison site and was informed that my savings would be around 222 per annum with Spark Energy. I went direct to the Spark energy website and did the exact same comparison with exact same figures and the saving for the exact same deal came up as 17 per annum.
    Originally posted by dragonwitch
    My comparison was exactly the same on both sites, so you should probably double check the figures you entered to each. However given all the negative comments here, never mind reviewcentre I shan't be going there.

Pity Wywth hasn't got something better to do than gainsay everything anyone else says.
  • Wywth
    .Pity Wywth hasn't got something better to do than gainsay everything anyone else says.
    Originally posted by paulh2008
    I'm not a gainsayer, I just think for myself and can see through all the comments by new user accounts that appear to be somewhat sheeplike and based on only internet hearsay

Someone suggested earlier that Spark are perhaps on course to be the new Worldwide Marketing Solutions of MSE
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2530467
    ... and I think they might be correct
    Last edited by Wywth; 05-02-2013 at 5:19 PM.
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 5th Feb 13, 5:52 PM
    • 9,979 Posts
    • 2,970 Thanks
    chanz4
    I have internal intel that sparks dd tariff beats most suppliers.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • HughJarres
    Wary of switching to Spark Energy
    My experience is similar to dragonwitch's above. I signed up to the Cheap Energy Club and immediately got an email to say I could save 315pa on the Spark Advance tariff. I clicked through to their site and re-entered my figures, at which point the saving was reduced to 178. (I noticed that their prices had been updated on 1 February.)
    Nevertheless, the T&Cs are a bit odd, and the company's premise is a bit strange, too - to benefit people in rented property and landlords. Then I searched for feedback on the company: Google found me a forum on a rival money-saving site. Now I appreciate that people tend to post opinions mostly when they're angry about something, but I'd never seen anything like the vitriol that was being targeted at Spark.
    So I decided price isn't everything.
    Sorry, Martin, if that makes me sound like a wimp, but I hope the Cheap Energy Club comes up with some more reassuring comparisons over the coming months. For the time being, I'm staying put with Scottish Power.
    • Pikeman2
    • By Pikeman2 6th Feb 13, 11:45 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Pikeman2
    Bad experiences with Spark
    I have just moved from Spark to First Utility and Spark must have loved having me as a customer as they made the change so difficult.

Spark as always were impossible to contact, (I've spent hours on the phone over the last year trying to get hold of them), and kept delaying things till there was a new balance that needed settling before I could transfer.

I got confirmation from First Utility of my request to transfer on 5th November and the transfer of services completed today 6th February.

Finally Spark free
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

324Posts Today

3,802Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • These scams are nothing to do with bitcoin. They are just scams. My view on bitcoin (though a little old now) a? https://t.co/i6rRIOr5hk

• SCAM! SCAM! SCAM! I have nothing to do with 'Bitcoin trading' or any get rich quick type advert or scheme. Don't t? https://t.co/WjitDxAc26

• Now I've heard it all. Apparently my politics is dictated by who follows me! You couldn't make this up. PS and for? https://t.co/hoPf6Jp34N

• Follow Martin