Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 24th Jan 13, 8:15 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Don't wait till your holiday to buy insurance
    • 24th Jan 13, 8:15 AM
    MSE News: Don't wait till your holiday to buy insurance 24th Jan 13 at 8:15 AM
    "January is busiest time of the year for holiday bookings, and it's best to get travel insurance ASAP..."

Page 1
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 24th Jan 13, 8:41 AM
    • 20,692 Posts
    • 12,821 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 24th Jan 13, 8:41 AM
    • 24th Jan 13, 8:41 AM
    You've made a big issue about airlines going bust, it would have been wise to point out that a very significant amount of Travel Insurers do not cover this. Especially as MSE tends to prompt members to buy the cheapest cover which is even more likely to not include this cover.

Another benefit of taking out cover early is if you subsequently develop a medical condition (Not exisiting at time of arranging cover) the Travel Insurer has to either continue providing cover for the trip or allow cancellation of the trip at their cost
    • skaterboy
    • By skaterboy 24th Jan 13, 4:32 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    skaterboy
    • 24th Jan 13, 4:32 PM
    • 24th Jan 13, 4:32 PM
    One thing about travel insurance confuses me.

If say I am going on holiday on the 1st Aug for two weeks, but I book the holiday in February.

Do I need to buy an insurance policy that covers me from Feb to end of my holiday in August.

Or do I buy the policy to just cover me for the two weeks in August?

My misunderstanding is that for example if the airline goes bust in May, my travel insurance does not start until August.

So how am I covered?

If you get my drift :-)
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 24th Jan 13, 4:36 PM
    • 17,252 Posts
    • 26,858 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 24th Jan 13, 4:36 PM
    • 24th Jan 13, 4:36 PM
    One thing about travel insurance confuses me.

If say I am going on holiday on the 1st Aug for two weeks, but I book the holiday in February.

Do I need to buy an insurance policy that covers me from Feb to end of my holiday in August.

Or do I buy the policy to just cover me for the two weeks in August?

My misunderstanding is that for example if the airline goes bust in May, my travel insurance does not start until August.

So how am I covered?

Originally posted by skaterboy
    Your insurance would also cover you if for instance you had a health problem in May and could no longer go on holiday.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • skaterboy
    • By skaterboy 24th Jan 13, 5:45 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    skaterboy
    • 24th Jan 13, 5:45 PM
    • 24th Jan 13, 5:45 PM
    Your insurance would also cover you if for instance you had a health problem in May and could no longer go on holiday.
    Originally posted by Torry Quine
    So, are you saying I only need to purchase insurance for the two weeks , in my example, for August, but if something happens between when I booked it and August I am still covered?

Cheers
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 24th Jan 13, 5:49 PM
    • 17,252 Posts
    • 26,858 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 24th Jan 13, 5:49 PM
    • 24th Jan 13, 5:49 PM
    So, are you saying I only need to purchase insurance for the two weeks , in my example, for August, but if something happens between when I booked it and August I am still covered?

Cheers
    No, you pay for insurance from the date of booking to cover you for such things a illness before you go. If you were only covered for the actual dates of the holiday then you are only covered for events at theat time.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 24th Jan 13, 5:55 PM
    • 23,231 Posts
    • 58,252 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 24th Jan 13, 5:55 PM
    The way I always understood it was that I purchased (say) 14 days travel insurance with specific dates of travel. It would cover me for certain things relating to those dates of travel (for example, breakdown on the way to the airport), but would also cover me for other things in the period between booking & travel (for example, major illness/death of person travelling).
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • skaterboy
    • By skaterboy 24th Jan 13, 5:55 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    skaterboy
    No, you pay for insurance from the date of booking to cover you for such things a illness before you go. If you were only covered for the actual dates of the holiday then you are only covered for events at theat time.
    Originally posted by Torry Quine
    So single trip insurance will never be worth buying, you may as well go for a annual insurance policy?
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 24th Jan 13, 5:57 PM
    • 17,252 Posts
    • 26,858 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 24th Jan 13, 5:57 PM
    • 24th Jan 13, 5:57 PM
    So single trip insurance will never be worth buying, you may as well go for a annual insurance policy?
    Depends how often you travel.

• Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 24th Jan 13, 5:58 PM
    • 23,231 Posts
    • 58,252 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    The above responses would suggest that I am mistaken. Good job I've never had to claim, if that's the case!
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 24th Jan 13, 6:06 PM
    • 20,692 Posts
    • 12,821 Thanks
    dacouch
    one thing about travel insurance confuses me.

If say i am going on holiday on the 1st aug for two weeks, but i book the holiday in february.

Do i need to buy an insurance policy that covers me from feb to end of my holiday in august.

Or do i buy the policy to just cover me for the two weeks in august?

My misunderstanding is that for example if the airline goes bust in may, my travel insurance does not start until august.

So how am i covered?

you've made a big issue about airlines going bust, it would have been wise to point out that a very significant amount of travel insurers do not cover this. Especially as mse tends to prompt members to buy the cheapest cover which is even more likely to not include this cover.
    Originally posted by dacouch
    q.e.d.......
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 24th Jan 13, 6:09 PM
    • 17,252 Posts
    • 26,858 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    The above responses would suggest that I am mistaken. Good job I've never had to claim, if that's the case!
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    Sounds fine to me. You get insurance cover from the time of booking for unforeseen events and fr events during the two weeks of the holiday in your example.

• Eye2013
    • By Eye2013 24th Jan 13, 8:39 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Eye2013
    This advice doesn't always work. Most people don't realise your not covered for civil disturbances and riot. I had a holiday cancelled a few years back when protestors occupied Thailands airport. Luckily the hotel were prepared to give me a full refund, as were the airline. The only people who wouldn't have given me a refund were the insurance company. Luckily I never took out a policy!
    • luci
    • By luci 24th Jan 13, 11:56 PM
    • 5,815 Posts
    • 4,588 Thanks
    luci
    The way I always understood it was that I purchased (say) 14 days travel insurance with specific dates of travel. It would cover me for certain things relating to those dates of travel (for example, breakdown on the way to the airport), but would also cover me for other things in the period between booking & travel (for example, major illness/death of person travelling).
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    If you buy single trip insurance at the same time as you book your travel, you have to state the dates you will be on holiday. Once you have bought it, you are covered for cancellation due to illness or accident from that date, provided the policy includes cancellation.

There are many threads on here from people who "were going to get it nearer the time" only to have some unforeseen event happen. With no insurance cover they will have lost at least the deposit on a package holiday or the total cost of flights if bought separately.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

528Posts Today

4,537Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Should tax be increased so social care for the elderly is free to all? The Institute for? https://t.co/SlniDzD9Zp

• I'm on my way to @GMB for my 7:40 tips of the week. This week incl a free £175 for switching bank, a sweet Nectar t? https://t.co/y6FrOdBV5d

• Quick twitter poll: Will Theresa May still be the PM of the UK a week today?

• Follow Martin