Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 15th Jan 13, 11:48 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: HMV administration Q&A: gift card, refund and job rights
    • 15th Jan 13, 11:48 AM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: HMV administration Q&A: gift card, refund and job rights 15th Jan 13 at 11:48 AM
    "This is a full HMV Q&A, including whether gift vouchers or returns will be accepted, and the rights of its staff..."

Page 1
    • lnr
    • By lnr 15th Jan 13, 11:58 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    lnr
    • 15th Jan 13, 11:58 AM
    • 15th Jan 13, 11:58 AM
    Regarding using HMV vouchers in Waterstones, your guide states that they can't be used. However, I was able to use some old HMV vouchers in Waterstones a few days ago. Waterstones told me that if the voucher mentions Waterstones on the back (i.e. the vouchers were issued when the stores were owned by the same company), they will still honour them as payment/part-payment in Waterstones.
  • woohoo_postingid
    • 15th Jan 13, 12:08 PM
    • 15th Jan 13, 12:08 PM
    Here's a question. If you bought a gift card for HMV in another retailer eg Tesco as stated above and then couldn't use it in HMV, would this not fall under the SOGA as the goods you purchased were not fit for purpose or as described ?
    • Gueld
    • By Gueld 15th Jan 13, 12:13 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 9,450 Thanks
    Gueld
    • 15th Jan 13, 12:13 PM
    • 15th Jan 13, 12:13 PM
    Paper vouchers from the years when HMV and Waterstones were same company should be okay at Waterstones. Electronic vouchers (plastic) were never available to use in both stores.

• Gueld
    • By Gueld 15th Jan 13, 12:15 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 9,450 Thanks
    Gueld
    • 15th Jan 13, 12:15 PM
    • 15th Jan 13, 12:15 PM
    Probably a silly question but does "gift vouchers" just mean instore gift vouchers, or does it include online credit? If it affects online credit, can you spend what's already in your online account, or does it just stop you from adding more credit?
    Originally posted by thriftymanc
    There's no harm in trying. I'd do it quickly though, before they take the site down (or if they do, rather).

• OrlandoBelle
    • By OrlandoBelle 15th Jan 13, 12:21 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    OrlandoBelle
    • 15th Jan 13, 12:21 PM
    • 15th Jan 13, 12:21 PM
    I have an order outstanding from before Christmas but from pure points. Don't suppose I'll get that now - at least I haven't actually lost any money though
  • mandylou1101
    • 15th Jan 13, 1:11 PM
    chargeback for HMV vouchers
    • 15th Jan 13, 1:11 PM
    I have just contacted my bank to ask about chargeback and they say as yet they are unaware that HMV are not accepting gift vouchers and also that as I purchased a voucher and received it then I got what I paid for? Clearly I was not expecting to keep a bit of plastic and did expect to receive goods at some point. They advised to ring back in a few days when they have more info.
  • Walks12
    • 15th Jan 13, 1:14 PM
    • 15th Jan 13, 1:14 PM
    My 12 year old son is devastated he has been saving hmv vouchers since his birthday in September and has 90 to buy some long awaited sky lander giants and game, we had not had a chance to get into town yet
    We will not be buying vouchers for any stores ever again, we have given the store our money in good faith and they should honour them while still trading in my opinion.
    • highnal
    • By highnal 15th Jan 13, 1:15 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 2,067 Thanks
    highnal
    • 15th Jan 13, 1:15 PM
    • 15th Jan 13, 1:15 PM
    I have just contacted my bank to ask about chargeback and they say as yet they are unaware that HMV are not accepting gift vouchers and also that as I purchased a voucher and received it then I got what I paid for? Clearly I was not expecting to keep a bit of plastic and did expect to receive goods at some point. They advised to ring back in a few days when they have more info.
    Originally posted by mandylou1101
    I rang Amex this morning to see what they could do about the 150 vouchers I bought from an offer they advertised just before Xmas (20% off!). The nice person on the other end said they already had a number of calls on the issue this morning and they were in the process of deciding how to deal with it. They will either ring me back this afternoon or tomorrow morning with more information.

Will report back when I hear from them.
    Last edited by highnal; 15-01-2013 at 1:19 PM.
    • lazer
    • By lazer 15th Jan 13, 1:23 PM
    • 3,230 Posts
    • 4,519 Thanks
    lazer
    My 12 year old son is devastated he has been saving hmv vouchers since his birthday in September and has 90 to buy some long awaited sky lander giants and game, we had not had a chance to get into town yet
    We will not be buying vouchers for any stores ever again, we have given the store our money in good faith and they should honour them while still trading in my opinion.
    Originally posted by Walks12
    They are not trading currently - Deloitte are administering all of HMV's transactions - not HMV itself.

Register as a creditor with deloitte to al least get some return for it, or as with comet they may decide to accept gift cards at some point - but only if they think it is preferential for the creditors.
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
    • LesD
    • By LesD 15th Jan 13, 1:35 PM
    • 2,059 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    LesD
    A friend returned a faulty DVD set last week but has not received a replacement. Does he have any opportunity get something - even a different product?
    • Gueld
    • By Gueld 15th Jan 13, 1:37 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 9,450 Thanks
    Gueld
    It has been confirmed that warranties are still valid but customers claim via Allianz.

• archjsmith
    I read this and the article on charge-back with interest.

I purchased an item from HMV in December but upon returning it (I purchased it as a gift and then discovered the recipient already had that item) I was advised they only offer exchanges or a refund onto a gift card. I wasn't very happy about that, but having already queued for 30mins I didn't want to have to go back onto the busy shop floor, search for something of that value to purchase just for the sake of it and then re-queue. Therefore I accepted the refund onto a gift card.

Does anyone have any idea if this situation will effect my chances of getting the money back?

I am still going to try to claim charge-back, I guess I have nothing to lose. I've adapted the template accordingly to allow for me to explain the refund situation.

Luckily still have the original purchase receipt and the refund/giftcard receipt so hopefully this will help!

Fingers crossed
  • pteron
    Remember - gift vouchers are covered under the Distance Selling Regs
    If you bought your vouchers in the last 7 days from an online source you can reject them under the DSL and get your money back - provided of course you didn't buy them direct.

Another wrinkle - most online voucher suppliers do not realise that they are obliged under the DSL to make you aware of your rights given by it - if they haven't made you aware, you have until 7 days after they do make you aware to reject the goods.

See here: I'd post the link but MSE thinks I'm going to spam you! Google Distance Selling Regulations Vouchers - the link to the OFT site should appear in the results.

For over 100 you probably should start with your credit card company.
    • Hollie84
    • By Hollie84 15th Jan 13, 3:30 PM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 3,639 Thanks
    Hollie84
    Any idea on pre orders? should I cancel future pre orders
  • Claire DC
    How about money paid as a pre-order deposit on a debit card? A friend of a friend is currently in this situation as his gf paid 30 to pre-order GTA in store. Would this come under the debit card chargeback as that's what I initially suggested.
    Lost lbs =
    Gained s = Quidco 261.90, Free Fivers 22.26, Matched Betting
    • MrsBartolozzi
    • By MrsBartolozzi 15th Jan 13, 5:09 PM
    • 6,209 Posts
    • 48,801 Thanks
    MrsBartolozzi
    I read this and the article on charge-back with interest.

I purchased an item from HMV in December but upon returning it (I purchased it as a gift and then discovered the recipient already had that item) I was advised they only offer exchanges or a refund onto a gift card. I wasn't very happy about that, but having already queued for 30mins I didn't want to have to go back onto the busy shop floor, search for something of that value to purchase just for the sake of it and then re-queue. Therefore I accepted the refund onto a gift card.

Does anyone have any idea if this situation will effect my chances of getting the money back?

I am still going to try to claim charge-back, I guess I have nothing to lose. I've adapted the template accordingly to allow for me to explain the refund situation.

Luckily still have the original purchase receipt and the refund/giftcard receipt so hopefully this will help!

Fingers crossed
    Originally posted by archjsmith

HMV have not offered refunds on non-faulty goods for many years. They have/had a poster at the tills telling you this and it's on your receipt. This is entirely legal as no retailer has to offer you a refund if you just change your mind.
    With this in mind you were offered an exchange as is legal. You accepted store credit.

The fact that your gift card was given in exchange for an unwanted gift is neither here nor there. Your rights are just the same as anyone else who holds a HMV gift card - atm HMV is not trading therefore your gift card is worthless.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • andrew1211
    This is a genuine query. According to the BBC news at 6pm the administrators were appointed to quote 'just before we went on air'. So it seems prior to that point the company was NOT in administration, how could it have been if no administrators were in place? So how can the company legally refuse to allow gift cards to be redeemed all day today? The terms and conditions on its website say "HMV reserves the right to add to or waive these terms and conditions on reasonable notice for legal, security or regulatory reasons or to discontinue the gift card scheme at any time in the event of circumstances beyond its reasonable control. Customers will be notified in advance via in-store displays and the HMV website in the event of any such change." Does this clause really absolve it and allow refusal of gift card use prior to administrators being appointed? I doubt any such notice was given or proper displays made at the start of trading today?! Can anyone help with a genuine answer?
    • Helix
    • By Helix 15th Jan 13, 5:20 PM
    • 2,325 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    Helix
    I was in my local Boots this morning collecting a prescription, they still had HMV vouchers for sale. I mentioned to the assistant these were no longer being accepted, she replied "yes, we were told yesterday to remove them from the display, we've just not gotten round to it yet". Hopefully no unsuspecting customer has bought any since the assistant is clearly too busy to do what she is asked by Head Office (btw I was the only customer in the shop, there were at least 6 staff members, surely one could have lifted a dozen cards and put them behind the counter??!)
    Originally posted by oompahloompah
    If their till system is any good then head office will have put a block on selling them, so if they try to process one it won't work.
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 15th Jan 13, 5:45 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    Caddyman
    I sincerely hope that this is another nail in the coffin for gift voucher sales.
    First thoughts clearly go to the staff of HMV at this uncertain time. Hopefully the Administrators will find a buyer, but with more and more music sales being conducted online, it is going to be a difficult sell for the Adminstrators.

One would clearly hope that the public at large will have learned from this latest loss to the High Steet when it comes to the purchase of vouchers. Wouldn't it be nice if a major High Street chain led the way and 'responsibly' discontinued the sale of this largely unprotected form of purchase. But like that is going to happen! The public should vote with its feet and just stop buying them, I know I'll never buy them again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,066Posts Today

7,794Users online

Martin's Twitter