Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 11th Jan 13, 2:32 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: BT hit with ASA rap over 'super-fast' broadband delay
    • 11th Jan 13, 2:32 PM
    MSE News: BT hit with ASA rap over 'super-fast' broadband delay 11th Jan 13 at 2:32 PM
    "The telecoms giant promised delivery of its fibre-optic network last year but customers are still waiting..."

Page 1
    • surfboy1
    • By surfboy1 11th Jan 13, 5:43 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    surfboy1
    • 11th Jan 13, 5:43 PM
    • 11th Jan 13, 5:43 PM
    I have asked about infinity in my area, i was told the local exchange is now ready and has connections yet when i gave my phone number , was told its not available for my line!
    • Gordon Hose
    • By Gordon Hose 11th Jan 13, 6:19 PM
    • 6,057 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    Gordon Hose
    • 11th Jan 13, 6:19 PM
    • 11th Jan 13, 6:19 PM
    Yep, which is even worse as not all cabinets connected to a specific exchange are being upgraded. So while someone down the street can enjoying blistering speeds, others may be stuck on ADSL with no indication of when FTTC is coming to them.

My exchange is "accepting orders"... yet my cabinet isn't enabled for fibre. Noice.
    • eljmayes
    • By eljmayes 11th Jan 13, 7:07 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    eljmayes
    • 11th Jan 13, 7:07 PM
    • 11th Jan 13, 7:07 PM
    I see the cabinet upgrade issue being a bigger news story as the year goes on. I understand dates might change but BT really need to make sure that timescales are met.

In my exchange (very small- 1500 houses), a similar issue occurred with ADSL 2+- it got delayed and delayed for months. My tip is expect the worst in timescales and hope for the best when it comes to the FTTC rollout.
    • tifo
    • By tifo 11th Jan 13, 7:21 PM
    • 1,186 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    tifo
    • 11th Jan 13, 7:21 PM
    • 11th Jan 13, 7:21 PM
    BT keep calling me every 6 months to take their broadband and last time I told them how their prices are not competitive and I'm sick of waiting for Infinity and faster broadband than 3.5Mb (yes, that low because of the distance from the exchange) and that it's their fault because they don't invest and want govt subsidies. They said my area is classed as 'urban' because its not closer to the exchange. I said i'm 5 mins from the centre !!!
  • sydney9676
    • 11th Jan 13, 7:58 PM
    Superfast Broadband - Some time never
    • 11th Jan 13, 7:58 PM
    BT installed the cabinets in and around the Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire early 2012. The exchange was enabled in June 2012 the BT Openreach website says they're taking orders.

No there not because it's not ready as per BT.com.

HS2 why not broadband for the masses now!
  • sydney9676
    • 11th Jan 13, 8:00 PM
    • 11th Jan 13, 8:00 PM
    Distance has nothing to do with connectivity with your exchange. Spin back to when the original copper wires were laid, no logic to the direction which the GPO (yep good old post office) deployed the wires.

I'm less than a mile away from my exchange but have slower speeds than those further away.
    • tifo
    • By tifo 11th Jan 13, 10:02 PM
    • 1,186 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    tifo
    • 11th Jan 13, 10:02 PM
    • 11th Jan 13, 10:02 PM
    Distance has nothing to do with connectivity with your exchange.
    Originally posted by sydney9676
    That's not what everyone (including the telecoms firms) say.

The further you are the slower your broadband.
    • Gordon Hose
    • By Gordon Hose 11th Jan 13, 11:27 PM
    • 6,057 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    Gordon Hose
    • 11th Jan 13, 11:27 PM
    • 11th Jan 13, 11:27 PM
    Distance has nothing to do with connectivity with your exchange. Spin back to when the original copper wires were laid, no logic to the direction which the GPO (yep good old post office) deployed the wires.

I'm less than a mile away from my exchange but have slower speeds than those further away.
    Distance has everything to do with it.
  • flexrider
    Further you are from exchange the rubbish the speed I am parked on a local exchance with 02 broadband and get 70mbps to 45mbps on good days most rubbish days 18mbps used to get 8.2 on cable paid for 25meg service ): bt wanted me before I joined said 8 meg too why I went to 02
    "MSE Money saving challenges..8/12/13 3,500 saved so far " p.s if i been helpfully please leave me a thank you but seek official advice at all times from a pro
    • ukflippy
    • By ukflippy 12th Jan 13, 4:07 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    ukflippy
    Becoming a joke
    My first estimated go-live date for FTTC was November 2011. For about a year, on the first of every month, my go-live date moved back a month. In around October last year, it went back by 3 months to Jan 2013. Around Christmas, it moved to March 2013. Really frustrating, given I currently get about 2.5Mbps, despite living in London.
  • ajones456
    Are BT laying the new fibre optics yet? My exchange says its on but my line says I can't have infinity yet.
  • yangptangkipperbang
    Distance has everything to do with it.
    Originally posted by Gordon Hose
    There are many other factors other than just distance which have majors effects on broadband speed.

I do feel sorry for BT/OR at times - they seem to be expected to give everyone Infinity 2 overnight. If I was running the company I would do just what they are doing at the moment - get fibre to the majority of people in the country rather than everyone in a small part of the country. They are running a business - not a charity.
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 13th Jan 13, 2:19 PM
    • 14,794 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    bod1467
    Distance DOES matter. But not necessarily the distance between your property and the exchange. What matters is line LENGTH ... which is impacted by the ROUTE the line takes between your house and the exchange.
    • wymondham
    • By wymondham 13th Jan 13, 7:34 PM
    • 5,533 Posts
    • 10,270 Thanks
    wymondham
    BT are terrible at new technology. They delay and fumble with each new generation of broadband. Compare the UK with other countries to see how far behind UK PLC is ...
    • JimLad
    • By JimLad 14th Jan 13, 10:05 AM
    • 916 Posts
    • 1,530 Thanks
    JimLad
    Type in our postcode to the openreach checker and it says its avaliable at our exchange. Tpye our phone number into the BT infinity site and it says its not.

I think maybe our cabinet hasnt been done yet?

I cant wait to get it, we get barley 1.5mbps at the moment
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 14th Jan 13, 10:39 AM
    • 2,660 Posts
    • 2,303 Thanks
    giraffe69
    I cant wait to get it, we get barley 1.5mbps at the moment
    Should that be "I can't wheat to get it we get barley..................
  • adamc260
    Next door can get BT Infinity yet I'm told I need to wait until March?

Makes sense...
  • coyley1
    I gave up on BT Infinity. Was taking an Infinity to get it installed 3 times engineers did not show up waited in from 08:00 - 13:00 cancelled the whole thing. Sky do the same fibre optic product and they installed it without any hassle. Getting approx. 40Mpbs
    • Gordon Hose
    • By Gordon Hose 14th Jan 13, 2:10 PM
    • 6,057 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    Gordon Hose
    Sky use BT's fibre and BT Openreach engineers to install it.

No different, except the price.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,220Posts Today

6,957Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I mean really is this worth a news story (slightly frustrating that to tweet the ridiculous nature of this click ba? https://t.co/4ADi7coREG

• The maths is wrong. Even if MPs weren't given a penny by the state in salary or expenses, it'd save a trivial count? https://t.co/Kgskcjd6eG

• What an utterly depressing watch this is. I think the MP handles it as well as possible. Good on him for not just t? https://t.co/LrSY56HbPA

• Follow Martin