Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • keet83
    • By keet83 9th Jan 13, 1:23 AM
    • 211 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    keet83
    • 9th Jan 13, 1:23 AM
    • 9th Jan 13, 1:23 AM
    Plenty of fish is free but becoming less and less 'free' each month, starting to charge for certain things, who viewed me, etc.
    Oasis is better, everything is free and if someone wants to send you a message you have to confirm them as a friend first.
    Plenty of fish is more known, however personally i find oasis as the best and easiest to use of the two.
    I dont use the sites that charge any fees to contact people.
    Hope this helps someone
    Beggars cant be choosers, but savers can!
    That used to be the case
  • Dave101t
    • 9th Jan 13, 1:30 AM
    • 9th Jan 13, 1:30 AM
    i paid for yahoo personals (now part of match.com), for a bit of fun, really. 5 years on and we are still happily married so it works, the free sites are the ones the crazies are on, they are too cheap to pay for a real site!
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
    • keet83
    • By keet83 9th Jan 13, 1:38 AM
    • 211 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    keet83
    • 9th Jan 13, 1:38 AM
    • 9th Jan 13, 1:38 AM
    i paid for yahoo personals (now part of match.com), for a bit of fun, really. 5 years on and we are still happily married so it works, the free sites are the ones the crazies are on, they are too cheap to pay for a real site!
    Originally posted by Dave101t
    Thanks for refering to me as a crazy
    Beggars cant be choosers, but savers can!
    That used to be the case
  • Mienaikage
    • 9th Jan 13, 8:17 AM
    • 9th Jan 13, 8:17 AM
    OkCupid. It's free, and I'm living proof that it works. I've met a multitude of people using it plus I'm also now married to someone I met off it
    • CompChrissy
    • By CompChrissy 9th Jan 13, 8:56 AM
    • 402 Posts
    • 21,938 Thanks
    CompChrissy
    • 9th Jan 13, 8:56 AM
    • 9th Jan 13, 8:56 AM
    I second OkCupid. Met my partner on there. Has a really good free app too.
    • stampychan
    • By stampychan 9th Jan 13, 2:15 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    stampychan
    • 9th Jan 13, 2:15 PM
    • 9th Jan 13, 2:15 PM
    Another vote for OKCupid. Sure, there'll be some odd people, or people who just send blanket messages to everyone, but you just need to ignore those ones. I was on OKC for about a year and met lots of really brilliant guys. I'm still good friends with many, and going out with one =)

I think the reason they're good is that they have a huge amount of data so the matching system is pretty impressive. I've never been on a date with someone who scored more than 95% who I didn't like on some level. Their blog is amazing as well (if you, like me, are a stats nerd) and contains some good tips if you want to make sure your own profile attracts the right people! http://blog.okcupid.com/
    • InsideInsurance
    • By InsideInsurance 9th Jan 13, 3:25 PM
    • 22,215 Posts
    • 11,383 Thanks
    InsideInsurance
    • 9th Jan 13, 3:25 PM
    • 9th Jan 13, 3:25 PM
    FreeDating.co.uk is fine - its fairly basic but it does what it says on the tin

I think with any free system you will get a number of odd peops but many (and certainly FreeDating) put a delay in between registering and being able to do anything beyond seeing profiles and so does filter out those that are a bit drunk and wanting a laugh due to the preplanning required
    • purpleweasel
    • By purpleweasel 9th Jan 13, 4:15 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    purpleweasel
    • 9th Jan 13, 4:15 PM
    How well do they work?
    • 9th Jan 13, 4:15 PM
    Said to my husband the other day that we should both sign up to one of these sites and see if they match us. Anyone ever tried this???
    Last edited by purpleweasel; 09-01-2013 at 4:20 PM.
    • michaels
    • By michaels 9th Jan 13, 4:25 PM
    • 21,580 Posts
    • 100,206 Thanks
    michaels
    I was hoping to find sites where you could meet cheap dates
    Cool heads and compromise
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 9th Jan 13, 4:55 PM
    • 2,886 Posts
    • 475 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    will take a look
    • chipp
    • By chipp 9th Jan 13, 5:18 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    chipp
    Said to my husband the other day that we should both sign up to one of these sites and see if they match us. Anyone ever tried this???
    Originally posted by purpleweasel
    Wasn't that the pina colada song?
    • Piercedmrsp
    • By Piercedmrsp 9th Jan 13, 6:23 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Piercedmrsp
    Hubby and I met on Plenty of Fish (I'd seen it advertised on Facebook and thought why not?). I was really lucky that he was the first person I met and happened to be Mr Right but he'd met a few girls from there before me and reckoned a lot of them were a bit crazy or had loads of kids. I did get a lot of dodgy messages from blokes but I just ignored them. I guess you get good and bad on all, though.
    Another friend of mine met her hubby on Match.com and they just had their second baby
  • Hezzy
    Fishys...
    Thanks for refering to me as a crazy
    Originally posted by keet83
    Haha Yeh me too!

I used Plenty of Fish and am still happy over a year on

Went on with a view more to meet new people than anything. Turns out the first guy I met was the one for me. Only took us 9 months of friendship to figure it out!!
    *CC PPI Claimed - 136.67*
    CC1 - 797.60 438.17 937.92 734.63 3963.17 CC2 - 960.09 CC3 - 390.51
    Overdraft - 1600 600
    Student Loan - Ha!
  • lilmissreading
    Okcupid
    I tried Midsummer's Eve a few years ago and was plagued by weirdos indeed. However my friend married a man she met on there in 2009 and now baby number 1 is on the way.

My husband and I met on okcupid so another vote for that!
  • the_pink_panther
    Ok Cupid worked for me... I suspect though that this could depend on your location, meaning that there aren't as many users as a lot of other dating sites, but despite there being fewer, the members on Ok Cupid generally seemed really nice on the whole. If you live somewhere far from densely populated areas, the problem you might find is simply that there aren't that many suitable people local to you, in which case you may struggle with it.
    • michaelsutherland
    • By michaelsutherland 9th Jan 13, 9:39 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    michaelsutherland
    I've used both Plentyoffish and Oasis and had a few good dates off both of them, although there are more people on PoF. I also met my current girlfriend on PoF and we have just started living together, so a big thumbs up from us
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 9th Jan 13, 11:27 PM
    • 17,278 Posts
    • 45,508 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    Oasis-seemed like to much hassle having to accept requests and the like-never got anywhere with that
    OkCupid-met a few people, had a few dates but there seemed to be more timewasters/players on that site
    POF-good amount of people, took a while but i met my now bf on there (have been together 8 months and all is going well)

Didn't see the point in paying
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    "I just need to be alone right now, i just wanna take a little breather"
    • rabb5it
    • By rabb5it 10th Jan 13, 10:19 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    rabb5it
    Ambiguous
    Originally posted by purpleweasel
    Are you hoping to confirm compatibility or provoke separation?
  • Cost_cutter
    Using a free site
    I have used smooch.co.uk. I met my partner and we have been together for 3 years now. The site was free and very good but there are some cautionary notes! If a profile lacks any pictures, or full details of the person avoid. A lot of men looking for one night stands are lurking in there as my partner found. We suggest you use the internal chat system initially. If you are going outside of the site then give them a web address you have set up for e mail just for dating. keep your own mail address and mobile until you know more about them and are confident they are not a faker. The basics of the site are the same as the paid for sites and work well. I only had one niggle in that I removed my profile when we met and started dating. 2 years later my ex wife advised she had seen my profile...must have been a good match then! it has now been removed I hope. Always a danger with free sites that non genuine people use them but you soon get wise to those. As with any site be careful who you agree to meet etc as anyone on a free site wont have been vetted in any way.Then again how well do paid for sites check you are not a danger I wonder.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,625Posts Today

7,130Users online

Martin's Twitter