Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 24th Apr 05, 5:56 PM
    • 4,201Posts
    • 2,671Thanks
    Magentasue
    Cups and ounces
    • 24th Apr 05, 5:56 PM
    Cups and ounces 24th Apr 05 at 5:56 PM
    I'm coming round to the idea of using cups for baking instead of weighing. I'm sure someone posted a conversion table on this board but I can't find it so I've searched on Google and found that although everyone agrees 1 cup of flour = 4oz, there is some debate about what a cup of sugar is. :confused: I have a measuring cup from Tesco that has cup measurements but you could use any cup that takes 250ml. These are the equivalents that have worked for me this weekend.

1 CUP =
    FLOUR
    4 ounces
    SUGAR 8 ounces
    ICING SUGAR 6 ounces
    OATS 3 ounces
    FRESH BREADCRUMBS 2 ounces
    DRIED BREADCRUMBS 4 ounces
    DRIED FRUIT 5 ounces
    BUTTER/GRATED CHEESE 4 ounces

8 FLUID OUNCES = 1 cup
    1/2 PINT = 1.25 cups
    1 PINT = 2.5 cups

Hope this is of use to someone.
Page 1
    • elona
    • By elona 24th Apr 05, 6:18 PM
    • 11,150 Posts
    • 63,458 Thanks
    elona
    • 24th Apr 05, 6:18 PM
    • 24th Apr 05, 6:18 PM
    What a good idea - I have a new slow cooker book that annoys me because it uses "cups" so this is really useful.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • ET03
    • 25th Apr 05, 10:22 AM
    • 25th Apr 05, 10:22 AM
    ooh I've just seen threads with conversions in
    will go and find them for you
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 25th Apr 05, 4:19 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 25th Apr 05, 4:19 PM
    • 25th Apr 05, 4:19 PM
    And I... shortly, will see if I can merge all these conversion posts into a single thread if that's ok with you guys?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • soba
    • By soba 3rd Jun 05, 3:06 PM
    • 1,435 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    soba
    • 3rd Jun 05, 3:06 PM
    How big is american cup?
    • 3rd Jun 05, 3:06 PM
    I need to know how big is an american cup? Found a recipe for yog and cucumber dip, but measurements are in cups. Have no idea. Or anyone got a recipe in English? Just made lamb koftehs with half shoulder of lamb purchased from friendly local market, and have some fresh mint left over, it's a shame not to use it. Replies before teatime would be great!! Thanks, Soba

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 3rd Jun 05, 3:33 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 3rd Jun 05, 3:33 PM
    • 3rd Jun 05, 3:33 PM
    It really depends on what you're measuring into it. Honest. But to give you a size by volume that you can then guage by using a coffee mug...

..a cup full of water weighs 240 grams.

So if you zero a scale with a coffee mug on it, add water until it shows 240 grams you then need to look at, and remember, the water level. That would be the mark you fill to - be it flour or sugar or yoghurt
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• KTFrugal
    • 3rd Jun 05, 3:35 PM
    • 3rd Jun 05, 3:35 PM
    For liquid measurements, one cup is 250ml, 1/2 cup is 125 ml, 1/3 cup is 80ml and 1/4 cup is 60 ml. 1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons = 15ml.

For solid measurements, it depends on how finely ground the solid is - flour packs with less airspaces than beans etc. However, 1 cup flour is about 4oz/125g and 1 cup beans is 8oz/250g.

A stick of butter is about 4oz/125g.

Beware the American pint - it is only 16floz, not 20floz as in Britain.

Hope this helps.
  • Queenie
    • 3rd Jun 05, 3:39 PM
    • 3rd Jun 05, 3:39 PM
    1/3 US cup = approx 1/4 pint
    1 1/4 US cup = approx 1/2 pint ...

therefore it's somewhere inbetween .. if it's the yogurt you are measuring just use any cup you have in the house (teacup?) and add the cucumber measurement by the same cup
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • spendaholic
    • By spendaholic 3rd Jun 05, 3:41 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 7,664 Thanks
    spendaholic
    • 3rd Jun 05, 3:41 PM
    • 3rd Jun 05, 3:41 PM
    You can also get "cup" measures from Tesco.
    Highest debt: 35k (2005); Current debt: 6k (2018)
    MY WINS

2 tickets to the Home Building & Renovation show; 50 to spend on chocolate; 2 tickets to see the Harlem Globetrotters; designer cat food caddy; 2,500 cash; 36 cash; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Creative Craft Show tickets; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Beyond the Pole DVD; 1,000 cash; Legend of the Guardians goody bag; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • Queenie
    spendy .. are those English cups or US cups ... I think I was only able to get US cups from Lakeland :confused: (If they are US I'll be because I gave my US one's to a relative and haven't got anymore from LL)
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 3rd Jun 05, 4:00 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    The ones I saw in Asda looked exactly the same as the ones a friend sent me from the US. If there's a difference it can't be by much. I just saw someone say that a cup was 250ml... well my american one is 240... so it would seem that they aren't too far apart to worry about.

• spendaholic
    • By spendaholic 3rd Jun 05, 4:00 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 7,664 Thanks
    spendaholic
    I didn't even know we had English cups ... so no doubt they're English. Soz for being a dunce. Again.

However, I've used them in my US recipes and they seemed fine ... maybe it's that old assumption that so long as you use the same measurements for all of the ingredients (rather than grams for some things, ounces for others, and, well, cups for the rest) it'll work out ok in the end.

EDIT: I do admit to becoming slightly flummoxed when they mention "sticks" of butter, though. :confused:
    MY WINS

2 tickets to the Home Building & Renovation show; 50 to spend on chocolate; 2 tickets to see the Harlem Globetrotters; designer cat food caddy; 2,500 cash; 36 cash; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Creative Craft Show tickets; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Beyond the Pole DVD; 1,000 cash; Legend of the Guardians goody bag; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 3rd Jun 05, 4:03 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    I think american packs are marked into either quarters or eights. One such division being known as a stick. I'll google...

Edit: The very first hit on google was This One.

4oz or 125 grams
    Last edited by squeaky; 03-06-2005 at 4:08 PM.

• spendaholic
    • By spendaholic 3rd Jun 05, 4:05 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 7,664 Thanks
    spendaholic
    That sounds like when our old butter packs were marked with lines for ounces or 25g - or do they still?
    MY WINS

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 3rd Jun 05, 4:07 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Some do. I can't remember which one I recently saw with it. BTW - your answer is in the edit above ^^^^

• spendaholic
    • By spendaholic 3rd Jun 05, 4:14 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 7,664 Thanks
    spendaholic
    Ta much - again!

But why they have to say "approximately 125g" ... I'll try to remember the 4oz reply ... I'm presuming that ounces weigh the same ... don't they also have bigger pints?
    MY WINS

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 3rd Jun 05, 4:20 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    The thing is that an ounce is 28 and a bit grams. So the usual thing for small measures is to round off to 25's because it makes the sums easy.

With bigger quantities those missing 3's start adding up so people tend to round off again to another 25...

..4 ounces is closer to 112 grams - so rounded up it's approx 125

• Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 3rd Jun 05, 4:50 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    Apparently a US cup is 8fluid ounces and a Brit one is 10 fluid ounces (25% more).

I bake using cups now, I have a couple of cheap plastic jugs with mls/fl oz/cups. For baking I reckon on a cup of flour,oats or icing sugar = 4oz,
    cup of caster- granulated sugar = 6-8oz,
    cup of rice = 6oz
    • soba
    • By soba 3rd Jun 05, 5:45 PM
    • 1,435 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    soba
    Thanks folks!
    Thanks for all your replies. I made the dip with 'some' yogurt, then tipped in a bit more till it tasted right. Must say I've never made it before, but I've saved half of it for tomorrow's Rogan Josh. p.s. also did homemade (well in the bread machine) naan breads today, yummy.....

• Queenie
    WTG soba!!!

That's the real beauty of recipes, adapting, imagining and .... tasting as you go along
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,506Posts Today

7,378Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin