Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • princessdon
    • 2nd Jan 13, 8:30 PM
    • 2nd Jan 13, 8:30 PM
    Shame the DWP haven't done the decent thing and wrote to those concerned isn't it!
  • miduck
    • 2nd Jan 13, 8:54 PM
    • 2nd Jan 13, 8:54 PM
    Shame the DWP haven't done the decent thing and wrote to those concerned isn't it!
    Originally posted by princessdon
    I'd be a bit worried if they had, it's HMRC that administer CB.
  • princessdon
    • 2nd Jan 13, 8:55 PM
    • 2nd Jan 13, 8:55 PM
    Ok - but you know what I mean. When other benefit changes happen people get notice by letter. Letters are very hit and miss on this occasion and many will find they get letters after the fact.
    • youth leader
    • By youth leader 2nd Jan 13, 9:04 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    youth leader
    • 2nd Jan 13, 9:04 PM
    • 2nd Jan 13, 9:04 PM
    urgh I'm just going to go on and deregister and find out how to pay my stamp myself!
    • woodbine
    • By woodbine 2nd Jan 13, 9:13 PM
    • 18,323 Posts
    • 24,707 Thanks
    woodbine
    • 2nd Jan 13, 9:13 PM
    • 2nd Jan 13, 9:13 PM
    about the only decent thing this govt has done,taking child benefit off those who dont need it,its about time some group other than the sick,disabled and low income families took some of the pain !
  • princessdon
    • 2nd Jan 13, 9:16 PM
    • 2nd Jan 13, 9:16 PM
    about the only decent thing this govt has done,taking child benefit off those who dont need it,its about time some group other than the sick,disabled and low income families took some of the pain !
    Originally posted by woodbine

Indeed, but don't forget that whilst families who pay to support those on benefits they will have little sympathy for UC etc.

After all we are all in it together!

If they kept this AND DIDN'T hit others they'd have lost the sympathy of people. Now they are hitting us all together and so make voting for the cons more attractive. It's good that we all are being hit.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 2nd Jan 13, 9:21 PM
    • 14,185 Posts
    • 12,315 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 2nd Jan 13, 9:21 PM
    • 2nd Jan 13, 9:21 PM
    What, no tips on how to avoid losing child ben? Luckily we've discussed it here loads of times!
  • princessdon
    • 2nd Jan 13, 9:22 PM
    • 2nd Jan 13, 9:22 PM
    What, no tips on how to avoid losing child ben? Luckily we've discussed it here loads of times!
    Originally posted by zagfles
    To be fair they are mainly from April.

This year you have to suck it up really and prepare for next year. But yes MSE are a wee bit late.
    • beaker141
    • By beaker141 2nd Jan 13, 9:29 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    beaker141
    But yes MSE are a wee bit late.
    MSE aren't late, they've been talking about it in various articles for some time.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/reclaim/2012/03/budget-2012-what-the-child-benefit-overhaul-means-for-you
    • woodbine
    • By woodbine 2nd Jan 13, 10:24 PM
    • 18,323 Posts
    • 24,707 Thanks
    woodbine
    Indeed, but don't forget that whilst families who pay to support those on benefits they will have little sympathy for UC etc.

After all we are all in it together!

If they kept this AND DIDN'T hit others they'd have lost the sympathy of people. Now they are hitting us all together and so make voting for the cons more attractive. It's good that we all are being hit.
    like 72% of the electorate(according to recent polls),i would prefer to eat my own vomit than vote tory
  • princessdon
    like 72% of the electorate(according to recent polls),i would prefer to eat my own vomit than vote tory
    Originally posted by woodbine

Each to their own - the more they cut other benefits and make working pay the more votes they get.

I was a red voter before now - but their recent changes to the benefit system have changed me and many of my friends. I think you'd be suprised.

To cut my benefits by 150 and leave the family who can't be arsed to work with 100% would have lost a vote. To ensure they are losing too.

Adds a vote
    • Anon
    • By Anon 2nd Jan 13, 10:53 PM
    • 13,744 Posts
    • 152,314 Thanks
    Anon
    To be fair they are mainly from April.

This year you have to suck it up really and prepare for next year. But yes MSE are a wee bit late.
    Why is it too late this year? There are three months left of the tax year? If you read elsewhere on the web you get suggestions on what action you can take, for example, paying extra into a pension seems to be a potential (legal) option to reduce taxable income (depending on individual circumstances, of course).

Anon
    • fallen121
    • By fallen121 2nd Jan 13, 11:56 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    fallen121
    I earn under the threshold but IF (and I have no idea at this time) I get a bonus it could take me over. I don't fill out self assessment because some time ago HMRC told me they didn't want me to fill one out anymore because my tax affairs were "mundane and uncomplicated"

Even if I filled one out tomorrow all I could tell them would be my PAYE. I don't even get told if I get a bonus for months and then it is paid just once a year.

Some years I get a bonus, some years I don't. Presumably so long as I tell HMRC by 31st January 2014 I'll be ok.

20p SAVERS CLUB
    2016 #5 35
    2017 #5 35
    2018 #5 20.00
    • flight747
    • By flight747 3rd Jan 13, 1:02 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    flight747
    Never trust the Tories!
  • Gentile
    Never trust the Tories!
    Originally posted by flight747
    Why ? You want the government to hand out dough which it doesnt have ? Are you aware of how much borrowing is happening every month ? At some point the bond market will collapse when the investors realise that the borrowed money is being spent on benefits and none of that is going to be repaid. We only have to look at Greece to imagine the result of investor fright.
    • flight747
    • By flight747 3rd Jan 13, 1:10 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    flight747
    Labour Party will win 2015 General Election! Tory had gone too far too fast on big massive cuts! I know a cut is a must to reduce borrowing but they gone too far!
  • Gentile
    Labour Party will win 2015 General Election! Tory had gone too far too fast on big massive cuts! I know a cut is a must to reduce borrowing but they gone too far!
    What are you on about ? What cuts ? This is exactly the scenario Labour wanted to happen when they introduced those big massive fat benefits whilst getting drunk on borrowed money.

If you are one of the honest hard working tax payer you should be aware that there are people on benefits having more cash in hand than you. Think about it. What was supposed to be a safety net has been exploited by Labour to be a vote winning machine.
    • flight747
    • By flight747 3rd Jan 13, 1:39 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    flight747
    Everyones know benefits is more money than hard worker as I used to work before and the salary is terrible only take home after tax is 11,745 and pay all the bills, rent, council tax, no holiday and got nothing left. No saving. Now I earn 21,505 in benefits and don't have to pay council tax or rent. And enjoyed my holiday four times a year.

So, it proved benefits are better than in work.
    • Parva
    • By Parva 3rd Jan 13, 3:43 AM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 1,439 Thanks
    Parva
    Everyones know benefits is more money than hard worker as I used to work before and the salary is terrible only take home after tax is 11,745 and pay all the bills, rent, council tax, no holiday and got nothing left. No saving. Now I earn 21,505 in benefits and don't have to pay council tax or rent. And enjoyed my holiday four times a year.

So, it proved benefits are better than in work.
    No idea what benefits you are on to get that kind of money; the average jobseeker has barely enough to feed themselves and that's before we add the standard water, gas, electric and TV license bills to the equation. Let's not even mention luxuries like footwear and clothing.

Good luck to you if you're earning that much for doing nothing, there's a guy just like you who enjoyed bragging about it. He's now busy moaning about having to sign-on. There is such a thing as karma.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

281Posts Today

3,262Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin