Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 2nd Jan 13, 4:36 PM
    • 12,802 Posts
    • 176,983 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    • 2nd Jan 13, 4:36 PM
    • 2nd Jan 13, 4:36 PM
    Lakeland Plastics make amazing stay fresh bags that are impregnated with a mineral that absorbs the gasses that ripen fruit and veg. They come in a pack of 20 and are quite expensive at 7 ish but they work and I keep produce in the fridge with a plastic clip at the top of the bag and rarely have to throw anything away. A really good product that works!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 2nd Jan 13, 5:09 PM
    • 6,423 Posts
    • 23,806 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    • 2nd Jan 13, 5:09 PM
    • 2nd Jan 13, 5:09 PM
    We grew too many chillis this year. I dried them and put them into jars (and gave some as presents!).
    CC2 = 8687.86 (10000 )CC1 = 0 (9983 ); Reusing shopping bags savings =5.80 vs spent 1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 2nd Jan 13, 5:14 PM
    • 6,778 Posts
    • 30,548 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    • 2nd Jan 13, 5:14 PM
    • 2nd Jan 13, 5:14 PM
    I have a friend who swears by these kinds of bags. Has anyone bought them?

http://www.betterware.co.uk/kitchen/food-storage/storage-bags
    3/6 month emergency fund challenge #20
    PODBX17 #122

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 6247.89
    24/02/17 5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 2nd Jan 13, 5:29 PM
    • 4,232 Posts
    • 9,311 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 2nd Jan 13, 5:29 PM
    • 2nd Jan 13, 5:29 PM
    We have got an hessian bag for spuds which we bought of ebay. Alot cheaper than the Betterware ones in that link. It works on home grown as they are kept cool, dark and dry. It dosn't work as well on supermarket spuds.

Other veggies we freeze.

Berries can be frozen.

Only buy what you can eat in a short period of time.
    • Fruball
    • By Fruball 2nd Jan 13, 5:44 PM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 36,647 Thanks
    Fruball
    • 2nd Jan 13, 5:44 PM
    • 2nd Jan 13, 5:44 PM
    Put a sheet of kitchen paper in with salads, soft fruits and veg in the fridge. It makes them keep much longer, esp pre-packed salads or ones you have made up yourself

I also put one at the bottom of the fruit bowl and it helps keep them fresh for longer
    • kittie
    • By kittie 2nd Jan 13, 5:50 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,966 Thanks
    kittie
    • 2nd Jan 13, 5:50 PM
    • 2nd Jan 13, 5:50 PM
    green bags

freezing

vacuum sealing

brining

bottling

fermentation eg sauerkraut

pickling

using sugar eg jam

dehydrating

all are searchable on the net. I do all the above, have a massively full storecupboard and waste nothing from my allotment. Most preserves last a very long time
    • artydoll
    • By artydoll 2nd Jan 13, 6:18 PM
    • 2,090 Posts
    • 11,411 Thanks
    artydoll
    • 2nd Jan 13, 6:18 PM
    I keep my spuds in the dark,in a outside store,in an old cotton pillow case ,keeps them ages,
    I usually only buy potatoes once a week
    • shelley_crow
    • By shelley_crow 2nd Jan 13, 6:18 PM
    • 1,579 Posts
    • 6,712 Thanks
    shelley_crow
    I have a friend who swears by these kinds of bags. Has anyone bought them?

http://www.betterware.co.uk/kitchen/food-storage/storage-bags
    Originally posted by WantToBeSE
    I bought a potato and onion bag from poundland (looks like the fourth pic along at the top) and they definitely make a difference. I've kept spuds longer than ever before!

The poundland ones are lined and have a drawstring too.
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 2nd Jan 13, 6:35 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    When you buy a bunch of bananas split them up into singles because they ripen quicker when attached to each other
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • MrsDaisyBoo
    I do my shopping monthly. I buy at least 2 weeks worth of fruit and veg. Except for bananas, potatoes and onions everything goes into the fridge. I remove all plastics bags and use kitchen roll to separate things. Tonight we had Savoy cabbage bought 3 weeks ago and it tasted lovely in bubble and squeak!
    • tanith
    • By tanith 2nd Jan 13, 10:51 PM
    • 7,982 Posts
    • 8,589 Thanks
    tanith
    Green bags that my daughters buys for me in a cheap shop, they are brilliant and I rarely throw away fruit, veg or salads. I also keep my bananas close wrapped in individual pieces of foil they keep in the fridge for ages and I've stopped throwing them away when they don't get eaten in a few days.
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • frugallily
    Lakeland Plastics make amazing stay fresh bags that are impregnated with a mineral that absorbs the gasses that ripen fruit and veg. They come in a pack of 20 and are quite expensive at 7 ish but they work and I keep produce in the fridge with a plastic clip at the top of the bag and rarely have to throw anything away. A really good product that works!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    I have also found these excellent except for the one for bananas as the liner for this got out of shape somehow?
  • frugallily
    We grew too many chillis this year. I dried them and put them into jars (and gave some as presents!).
    Originally posted by unixgirluk
    We made chilli jam! There are a lot of recipes for this online! it is excellent for preserving chillis but BEWARE- it is not a jam it is savoury!
    • mumf
    • By mumf 3rd Jan 13, 6:33 AM
    • 191 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    mumf
    For stuff you BUY ,not grow-just eat it!
  • ladyesmereldaprice
    Make bananas last longer!
    Buy or make a banana bag.
    There is a bag available at a popular high street kitchen store, but it is only a bubble wrap bag covered in nylon. Put the bananas in the bag, tie the top to exclude as much air as possible and place in the fridge. They will keep in original state of 'ripeness' for up to 2 weeks even if the skin turns black!
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 3rd Jan 13, 9:08 AM
    • 2,171 Posts
    • 7,438 Thanks
    Ilona
    I inspect my fruit and veg daily, for dates and freshness. Check which is getting close to it's going off state and eat it that same day. Soft fruits deteriorate quicker than hard, so eat them first. Leafy veg and salad deteriorate quicker than root veg, so eat them first.

I buy a lot of yellow stickers, packs of prepared root veg for 10p. I make these into soups, stews, and curry, then freeze into single portions.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    • Meadows
    • By Meadows 3rd Jan 13, 9:32 AM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 10,404 Thanks
    Meadows
    'how do you stop fruit and veg rotting'

Buying quality in the first place I occasionally buy from Lidl and I don't know why as half the stuff is no good and I should know better!
    Bought a Mango, Brussels and Pears on Sunday. Two days ago had to throw the mango out as when I cut into it it was black throughout. The Brussels have all had to be blanched so I can get to eat them as they were not a pretty sight on the outer leaves, the pears really need to be eaten and may manage a few more days if we make a special effort to eat them!
    I also find Morrison's is not so hot for fruit & vegetables.

As for keeping them, I use Ever Fresh Green Bags with clip its and keep in my Vegetable draw of the fridge

I line my fridge Vegetable and Fruit draw with a Fruit and Vegetable Cushion (I keep Fruit away from Vegetables and Bananas away from all to slow the ripening and stay fresher longer), the cushioning effect and porous construction of this special matting allows air to circulate, preventing mould and bruising.

I use a Banana bag, when kept in the fridge, they provide bananas with the exact amount of insulation and air needed to stop the flesh over-ripening, while keeping the skin warm enough to prevent it blackening. They last ages in these bags.

And for Potatoes, Onions & Mushrooms (mushrooms I keep in the fridge, potatoes and onions on a veg rack in a cool utility room) I use

For Garlic I use kept in the fridge.
    (For bread I use kept in a large Ceramic Bread Crock).

I find if I have quality Fruit & Vegetables they will last a long time stored in these bags, so although they cost to buy initially they more than pay for themselves by preserving the food!
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • karatemum
    I use a Tupperware vegetable crisper for all of my veg except potatoes and onions. It is fantastic and I've kept carrots in there for up to 4 weeks.
    A friend of mine once did an experiment to see how long a carrot would keep in one - it lasted over 6 weeks and still crunched when she broke it! My mum has had the old Tupperware vegetable crisper for about 40 years and still swears by it.
    I wish you could still get Tupperware in the UK
  • widji
    Freeze bananas
    I buy discounted bananas, chop them into chunks, pour over some lemon juice and open freeze. Colour stays ok, texture not quite so good but they get whizzed from frozen into smoothies for breakfast!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,599Posts Today

6,252Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin