Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    cristin
    Juices and lemonade
    • 2nd Jun 05, 8:44 AM
    Juices and lemonade 2nd Jun 05 at 8:44 AM
    Now Summer is sort of here (wouldn't believe it from the weather today would you!!!!) and you can often get plenty of cheap fruit, I was just wondering if anybody out there makes hm lemonade/limeade or fruit juice and has any recipes? I do have a juicer, but haven't used it for years as it takes about an hour to clean (I'm not exaggerating ) plus it is really big (somebody gave it to me - now you know why they wanted to get rid of it!).

I was also wondering if anybody could recommend a juicer which is easier to use and clean, and doesn't take up over half of my kitchen?

thanks

cristin
Page 1
  • Badgergal
    • 2nd Jun 05, 8:54 AM
    • 2nd Jun 05, 8:54 AM
    I had a cheap juicer and it was so hard to clean that I cleaned it up for good and returned it to argos. Also you had to really shove the fruit and veg into the chute thing and it took ages standing there pushing it in.

What I have now is a Kenwood Smoothie maker that costs about 20. You want ultra cheap lemonade? This is what I do.

I put one lemon, some ice and some sugar according to taste into the jug full of water (tap water is fine for me), and blend it all, skin and all (make sure lemon is unwaxed!). Then you pour it through a sieve (to get rid of pith) and voila, lovely lemonade for pennies. And the Kenwood is so easy to clean, you just take off the jug bit and rinse it. Makes a really refreshing drink and of course you can do loads of other stuff with it to, I stick any fruit thats on its way out in it.

It is different to a juicer of course (it blends stuff rather than extract juice), but I really didn't like the juicer I had.

Edited to add the water! Doh.
    Last edited by Badgergal; 02-06-2005 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Forgot an ingredient
  • Edinburghlass
    • 2nd Jun 05, 8:59 AM
    • 2nd Jun 05, 8:59 AM
    Anyone got a recipe for lemonade without using a juicer or similar? My Mum used to make homemade lemon and I remember it as being yummy, plain old lemons I guess :confused:
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 2nd Jun 05, 9:12 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 2nd Jun 05, 9:12 AM
    • 2nd Jun 05, 9:12 AM
    Anyone got a recipe for lemonade without using a juicer or similar? My Mum used to make homemade lemon and I remember it as being yummy, plain old lemons I guess :confused:
    by Edinburghlass

There's a whole host of lemonade and other juice-type recipes on this page if that's any help
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• AussieLass
    • 3rd Jun 05, 6:34 AM
    • 3rd Jun 05, 6:34 AM
    by Edinburghlass
    I make this a lot over summer. Great thirst quencher.

Ginger Beer Cordial
    4 cups water
    2 1/2 cups crystal sugar
    1 1/2 tabs ground ginger
    juice of 1 lemon
    Combine all ingred in a large pan. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. (I just use normal sugar) Bring to boil and simmer 10 mins. Cool & transfer to bottles. This cordial will keep for 2 months in fridge. Place about 5cm in a glass and add chilled water or mineral water.
  • Queenie
    • 3rd Jun 05, 7:18 AM
    • 3rd Jun 05, 7:18 AM
    I gave up with my juicer ... but I do drink a lot of water and love adding a dash of PLJ - much quicker than making HM Lemonade (call me lazy )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Lucie
    • 3rd Jun 05, 7:37 AM
    • 3rd Jun 05, 7:37 AM
    I put one lemon, some ice and some sugar according to taste into the jug full of water (tap water is fine for me), and blend it all, skin and all (make sure lemon is unwaxed!). Then you pour it through a sieve (to get rid of pith) and voila, lovely lemonade for pennies. And the Kenwood is so easy to clean, you just take off the jug bit and rinse it. Makes a really refreshing drink and of course you can do loads of other stuff with it to, I stick any fruit thats on its way out in it.
    by Badgergal
    Fab idea! I make smoothies in mine frequently, but never tried that. How much do you chop up the lemon? rough chunks?

Juice extractors seem to be the one thing that everyone thinks is a good idea but never actually use. I took mine back & bought an electric citrus squeezer instead. Fresh OJ for sunday breakfast - yum! *must find lip-licking or tummy rubbing smilie*
  • Queenie
    • 3rd Jun 05, 7:43 AM
    • 3rd Jun 05, 7:43 AM
    - yum! *must find lip-licking or tummy rubbing smilie*
    by Lucie
    We have ...
  • Badgergal
    • 3rd Jun 05, 7:59 AM
    • 3rd Jun 05, 7:59 AM
    You don't chop up the lemon at all, my kenwood is so powerful (and has a stirring stick thing that pushes stuff round?) and it deals with the lemon whole. You could chop it up roughly though, it really doesn't matter. I confess, this idea was stolen from the chef on Ideal World shopping channel (but it made me buy the smoothie maker!)

I recommended this to my friend who was saying how she loved Cafe Rouge's expensive "Citron Presse" (which is basically the same thing) and she was very impressed when she tried it. I think it would be nice to make jugs full in the summer if you have people over for a bbq or whatever. The chef said you can also use sweetener instead of sugar, but I like the sugar. Apparently it's a very "cleansing" drink for your body too!
  • Lucie
    Whole lemon? even better - no chopping required! I suppose I put frozen raspberries & ice in my smoothie maker & it copes with them very well, so it must be fairly powerful. I'm def going to make some of that this w/end. Thanks badgergal.
    Afterthought: wonder what it'd taste like with a slug of gin in it??.................

Queenie I alway think will make me look like a dribbling old lady!
  • Edinburghlass
    (call me lazy )
    by Queenie
    LAZY!
  • Queenie
    Queenie I alway think will make me look like a dribbling old lady!
    by Lucie
    Hmmm, wonder if that's why I use it ....

LAZY!
    by Edinburghlass
    ... aha! Yup, too lazy to swallow my own dribblies (Note to self: Must try harder to swallow and not drool )

Badgergal - would that work in a food processor, do you think?
  • Badgergal
    I think it would depend on the power of the motor on your food processor, but if it was strong enough to bash up the lemon, I don't see why not? Maybe chop the lemon to be on the safe side the first time? I think there is a lot of crossover between food processors and smoothie makers/blenders etc.
  • kabie
    Could someone explain what the difference is between a smoothie maker and a blender please?
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 3rd Jun 05, 4:55 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Lousy timing kabie

Lots of people have gone off for the weekend. So if I were to tell you that there's not a lot of difference but you will get better smoothies out of a proper smoothie maker and that bashing ice cubes with a blender isn't always good for them...

..well somebody will immediately pop out of the woodwork and correct me
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 3rd Jun 05, 5:13 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    I thought they were the same thing but I think someone posted on here that smoothie makers have something to stop the blade getting gunged up. Also, they have a natty tap!
  • kabie
    thanks
    They always looked as if they'd do the same thing but I wouldn't have thought that the people on here would have two appliances that did the same thing. So they're kind of the same but not lol
    • moggins
    • By moggins 4th Jun 05, 9:32 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    I've never ever used my smoothie maker but for that lemonade recipe I might just dust it down

I did win it by the way, it wasn't something I wasted good money on.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 4th Jun 05, 10:20 PM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 40,355 Thanks
    Caterina
    With the big explosion of 'superfood' everyone goes on about blueberries being among the best foods you can have etc... but I cannot afford 3 quid for a minute punnet of the stuff!

Recently, though, I found that Sainsburys does bags of frozen blueberries for less than 2 (1.99 or 1.79 don't remember exact figure) and I add a handful of these to my morning smoothies. I put in any fruit that's around, and discovered that you can chuck kiwis in without peeling! Add fruit juice, banana for thickness and blueberries for niceness and extra health and blend away!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

1,938Users online

Martin's Twitter