Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 20th Nov 12, 10:30 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Government's cheap energy plan unveiled
    • 20th Nov 12, 10:30 AM
    MSE News: Government's cheap energy plan unveiled 20th Nov 12 at 10:30 AM
    "A plan to limit providers to four tariffs per fuel and move customers to a supplier's cheapest deal has been announced..."

Read the full story:

Government's cheap energy plan unveiled

Read the previous MSE News story from earlier today:

Government to spell out cheap energy plan

Last edited by Former MSE Helen; 20-11-2012 at 1:35 PM.
Page 1
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 20th Nov 12, 11:02 AM
    • 5,223 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    Consumerist
    • 20th Nov 12, 11:02 AM
    • 20th Nov 12, 11:02 AM
    The issue has become more acute in recent years because of rising wholesale prices which have been passed on to customers.
    And how has government green policy affected energy bills in recent years?

How efficiently is the energy infrastructure being modernised?
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Wywth
    • 20th Nov 12, 11:17 AM
    • 20th Nov 12, 11:17 AM
    There is a real danger that this move (details yet to be clarified) could result in people being less inclined to switch (because they believe they are automatically being put on the cheapest tariff), even some comparison sites going out of business, resulting in less competition and hence a rise in bills for everyone eventually.
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 20th Nov 12, 11:29 AM
    • 719 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    jobdone1
    • 20th Nov 12, 11:29 AM
    • 20th Nov 12, 11:29 AM
    It just goes to show, Their is the real world (us the consumer} and the out of touch torries
    • molerat
    • By molerat 20th Nov 12, 12:00 PM
    • 20,776 Posts
    • 15,051 Thanks
    molerat
    • 20th Nov 12, 12:00 PM
    • 20th Nov 12, 12:00 PM
    It just goes to show, Their is the real world (us the consumer} and the out of touch torries politicians
    Originally posted by jobdone1
    What did Labour ever do to fix the system when they were in power ?

It will probably be another wonderful bit of political interference that will make it dearer for the majority and make little if any difference to that minority it is designed to assist.
    Last edited by molerat; 20-11-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • deepdale56
    • By deepdale56 20th Nov 12, 12:17 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    deepdale56
    • 20th Nov 12, 12:17 PM
    • 20th Nov 12, 12:17 PM
    It sounds like we are going to discover the implications of more regulation (and therefore less competition) in the energy market place by forcing the energy suppliers to limit their tariff options to four each. A majority of MSE members recently voted to renationalise the companies (the maximum of market regulation and the minimum of competition) so will presumably welcome the move.
    This is very noble and self sacrificing of them because one of the unintended consequences of more law/regulation (the only certainty is that there always are some) is that the cheapest tariffs, sought out by savvy consumers who are prepared to take the time to do the research, will disappear. By definition the energy companies cannot afford to put most of their customers on their current cheapest tariff.
    So the proposal may or may not be good for consumers generally - I personally doubt it - but it will definitely be worse for conscientious customers
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 20th Nov 12, 12:22 PM
    • 5,223 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    Consumerist
    • 20th Nov 12, 12:22 PM
    • 20th Nov 12, 12:22 PM
    There is a real danger that this move (details yet to be clarified) could result in people being less inclined to switch (because they believe they are automatically being put on the cheapest tariff), even some comparison sites going out of business, resulting in less competition and hence a rise in bills for everyone eventually.
    Originally posted by Wywth
    If the energy companies are required to advise their customers of cheaper tariffs available from them, there might me more "in-house" tariff switching which will still help reduce energy bills.

The comparison sites will still have a role when comparing different suppliers tariffs with the cheapest on offer from customers' current suppliers.

I agree it would be tragic if the comparison sites went out of business. It's often the only way to get detailed tariff information as energy suppliers are more and more resorting to "calculators" which hide the tariff details.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 20-11-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: grammar
    • molerat
    • By molerat 20th Nov 12, 12:44 PM
    • 20,776 Posts
    • 15,051 Thanks
    molerat
    • 20th Nov 12, 12:44 PM
    • 20th Nov 12, 12:44 PM
    A good move would be to force the companies to put basic tarriff information, kWh prices, standing charges etc, on the front page. Too many, if not all, simply do not make this information easily if at all available.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Dave save
    • By Dave save 20th Nov 12, 12:47 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    Dave save
    • 20th Nov 12, 12:47 PM
    • 20th Nov 12, 12:47 PM
    Only the Tories could regulate an unregulated market, and get away with it by calling it, 'a better deal for the consumer'!
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 20th Nov 12, 1:20 PM
    • 5,223 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    Consumerist
    A good move would be to force the companies to put basic tarriff information, kWh prices, standing charges etc, on the front page. Too many, if not all, simply do not make this information easily if at all available.
    Originally posted by molerat
    I agree that it is becoming harder to root out basic pricing data. Energy suppliers should be required to make that information easily available on their websites.

Since prices vary according to region, it would probably need to be something like a pdf file for each tariff available. I'd certainly like to see that from all suppliers.
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 20th Nov 12, 1:29 PM
    • 9,737 Posts
    • 7,171 Thanks
    Crabman
    This is going to result in a price hike for all consumers and a windfall for the energy companies.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• penrhyn
    • By penrhyn 20th Nov 12, 1:48 PM
    • 15,006 Posts
    • 8,056 Thanks
    penrhyn
    So I now have to subsidise those too thick or idle to sort out a decent energy tariff for themselves.
    This is in addition to the smug lot over on the green board with their roof mounted ecobling and FIT payments, not forgetting the lentil munchers who believe that windmills are the answer to our energy needs and will affect climate change.

I thank you!
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 20th Nov 12, 1:50 PM
    • 10,863 Posts
    • 9,669 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    Dohhh...I'll just go away and start another discussion about this with an original subject line...can we merge them by some means or other?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 20th Nov 12, 2:32 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    jobdone1
    GREAT I COME OFF MY BLUE PLUS IN 2014 APRIL.

Looks like i will be in for a massive rise in my bills then but the energy company claim its the cheapest but lik many of you have said this will just encourage price rises via the back door.

I have just done a price compare via energy help line with my current tariff, put the units in what i have used over the last year and the difference was from a 2 save right up to a 557 increase. So why people can't do this for themselves and have to get the government to do it for them with force and end up making the consumer savvy be penalized is just wrong.
    • Be Happy
    • By Be Happy 20th Nov 12, 3:12 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    Be Happy
    Two queries here:

Will there still be Economy 7? If not, I'll be hundreds of pounds dearer.

In Scotland we always pay a higher rate for any tariff. Will our rate go down, or will everyone else come up to join us?
  • Wywth
    Nice spin by the government there.

Essentially trying to say there were an impossible 400 tariffs to choose from, and now we we limit customer choice to a choice of just 4 tariffs.

But that is a maximum of 4 tariffs per supplier, which to compare apples with apples, we would need to multiply by the number of suppliers (lets assume the 'big 6' plus the 'little 8'- although there are probably more than that)and that would still result in a baffling 50+ choice of tariffs for a customer to still chooose from.
    Last edited by Wywth; 20-11-2012 at 3:27 PM.
    • cdsheldon
    • By cdsheldon 20th Nov 12, 3:29 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    cdsheldon
    This is bad news for "moneysavingexperts" who follow Martin's advice and switch! Now we will pay more! The cheapest tariffs will go up to compensate energy companies for having to move customers who never switch onto cheaper tariffs.
  • Wywth
    Two queries here:

In Scotland we always pay a higher rate for any tariff. Will our rate go down, or will everyone else come up to join us?
    Originally posted by Be Happy
    Dual rate and single rate tariffs will still be available.

There are no plans to make a single, UK wide, pricing plan; the regional variations, particularly in the price of electricity, will still apply.
    • cdsheldon
    • By cdsheldon 20th Nov 12, 3:41 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    cdsheldon
    Two queries here:

Originally posted by Be Happy
    Economy 7 will still exist.

Scotland used to have the cheapest electricity in the UK, 30 or more years ago! Now the North of Scotland Hydro area is one of the most expensive areas in the UK, and especially for the Economy 7 tariff. I've raised this with my MSP and have got the usual answer of higher transmission costs in rural areas! But I suspect the real answer is as few people have mains gas, more rely on electricity to heat their homes, so with less competition the power companies can charge more and make a bigger profit!
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 20th Nov 12, 4:12 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    jobdone1
    just watched martins clip and he even says that the savvy swticher will be the one's that will pay more.

So what next government regulation on car insurance home insurance life insurance etc etc. So the savvy who compare can be forced to pay more on this to,

Makes my blood boil.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

198Posts Today

1,506Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin