Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Wywth
    • 16th Nov 12, 10:33 AM
    • 16th Nov 12, 10:33 AM
    2% - break out the champagne!
  • Former MSE Darryl
    • 16th Nov 12, 11:48 AM
    MSE News: Co-op shaves 2% off electricity prices... as British Gas raises prices
    • 16th Nov 12, 11:48 AM
    "Minnow Co-op announces a cut for 50,000 customers - but it's still not cheapest ..."

Last edited by Former MSE Darryl; 16-11-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: headline tweak
    • bob bank spanker
    • By bob bank spanker 16th Nov 12, 11:51 AM
    • 533 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    bob bank spanker
    • 16th Nov 12, 11:51 AM
    • 16th Nov 12, 11:51 AM
    2% - break out the champagne!
    Originally posted by Wywth
    Would you rather they hadn't reduced it?
    • pooch
    • By pooch 16th Nov 12, 12:04 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    pooch
    • 16th Nov 12, 12:04 PM
    • 16th Nov 12, 12:04 PM
    Would you rather they hadn't reduced it?
    Originally posted by bob bank spanker
    I'm not fussed really.

I just did a comparison based on their 'reduced' prices for an average user in the Eastern Region and got the following results:

Your expected annual usage is 3,300 kWhs which will cost 449.00 per year (including VAT) from Co-operative Energy.

That compares with 401.00 for your current supplier. We are only 48.00 more per year than your current supplier.
    • oldskoo1
    • By oldskoo1 16th Nov 12, 12:12 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    oldskoo1
    • 16th Nov 12, 12:12 PM
    May only be 2% but still a reduction.

This is why i joined the co-op just a few months after they launched.

To get the very best deals you usually need to hop tariffs or even providers, either offset the cancellation charges with credit from another provider or look at the end of contract. It's even more important to check the terms these days and quite frankly with all the different tiers and tariffs i was quite glad to dump it all and go with the co-op.

Their mission statement isn't to be the cheapest and they aren't, although they are very close. They are competitively priced and have 1 clear transparent rate by region, no cancellation charge and so far i haven't had any reason to cancel with them.

Very happy with them.
    • bob bank spanker
    • By bob bank spanker 16th Nov 12, 12:12 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    bob bank spanker
    I'm not fussed really.

I just did a comparison based on their 'reduced' prices for an average user in the Eastern Region and got the following results:

Originally posted by pooch
    Quite. I suspect this will be for the benefit of those already on a coop tariff (Which Big Switch?), and won't win them that many new customers. The savvy are already on long term fixed tariffs.
    • neil9313
    • By neil9313 16th Nov 12, 1:47 PM
    • 687 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    neil9313
    • 16th Nov 12, 1:47 PM
    • 16th Nov 12, 1:47 PM
    I'm not fussed really.

Use their members card and there won't be much difference. Im actually a fan of their fuel. They don't have loads of tarriffs, very easy to understand.
    • neil9313
    • By neil9313 16th Nov 12, 1:49 PM
    • 687 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    neil9313
    • 16th Nov 12, 1:49 PM
    • 16th Nov 12, 1:49 PM
    Quite. I suspect this will be for the benefit of those already on a coop tariff (Which Big Switch?), and won't win them that many new customers. The savvy are already on long term fixed tariffs.
    Originally posted by bob bank spanker

Nope their varible rate tarriff has been reduced for everyone.
    • pooch
    • By pooch 16th Nov 12, 2:04 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    pooch
    Use their members card and there won't be much difference.
    Originally posted by neil9313
    In my previous example showing them to be 48 per year more expensive (almost 12% more expensive, even after the 2% reduction in prices), the site suggests the value of any 'points' would only be worth up to 11

Based on the following assumptions: one point per pound spent with Co-operative Energy, plus maximum 600 points per year for providing online meter readings every calendar month for both electricity and gas. One point assumed to be worth 1.5 pence. Result rounded to nearest whole pound. The value of points varies based on profits and is decided by members each year. Our price comparison is based on suppliers’ prevailing prices and on your estimated annual consumption. Our actual charges are based on the amount of energy you use and may differ from this price comparison if the amount you actually consume is materially different from the estimates you provided in this price comparison.
    They don't have loads of tarriffs, very easy to understand.
    Originally posted by neil9313
    Yes, expensive
    (just like E.on)
    Last edited by pooch; 16-11-2012 at 2:12 PM.
  • Atidi
    Says it's reversing unnecessary summer price hike
    Co-op raised prices by 2% for both gas and electricity customers in the summer, but a spokeswoman said an anticipated rise in wholesale electricity costs did not happen so it is able to reverse the rise.
    Originally posted by MSE Darryl
    Will existing customers be compensated for being overcharged during this period?
    • kittie
    • By kittie 16th Nov 12, 4:56 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,059 Thanks
    kittie
    May only be 2% but still a reduction.
    Their mission statement isn't to be the cheapest and they aren't, although they are very close. They are competitively priced and have 1 clear transparent rate by region, no cancellation charge and so far i haven't had any reason to cancel with them.

Very happy with them.
    Originally posted by oldskoo1
    I switched to the coop today, having been with good energy for just over two years, I wanted a simple tariff and good cs with no cancellation charge. I saved 67 in total, not bad at all considering we are low electricity users. I would have stayed with good energy but 67 was too good to ignore
    • hansi
    • By hansi 16th Nov 12, 6:47 PM
    • 2,903 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    hansi
    I just saw the Co-op tariff. Much cheaper than the one I'm on with BG but there's a monthly standing charge. I thought they didn't do this anymore.
  • speedy2003
    coop are still good deal for me
    ive just done a comparison on moneysupermarket of a dual fuel based on my unit price of 11.7 elec,gas 3.85 total cost of energy including standing charges vat is 960 a year, with coop energy.
    It comes up with 38 tariffs only 3 better than what im paying now.
    the best save is sainsbury energy so it says saves me 21.39wooooooo.next tariff is npower saves 14.42wooo.
    next save is eon 2.78 wooooo
    All these tariffs have exit fees tied in im free with coop to leave if i dont like it.
    but hang on i got 11 pounds dividend thats 949 a year plus soon getting 2 percent off my elec thats another tenner off thats around 939 a year snap lol
    FOR ME THERES NO TARIFF CHEAPER THAN MINE NOW PLUS IM NOT TIED IN NO EXIT CHARGES LIKE THE 3 SO CALLED CHEAPER TARIFFS
    TARIFFS dont you hate that word i prefer unit prices kwh and standing charges
    • neil9313
    • By neil9313 17th Nov 12, 5:47 AM
    • 687 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    neil9313
    In my previous example showing them to be 48 per year more expensive (almost 12% more expensive, even after the 2% reduction in prices), the site suggests the value of any 'points' would only be worth up to 11

Yes, expensive
    (just like E.on)

Half glass comes to mind
  • speedy2003
    I forgot i introduced a friend so that was another 25 pounds off thats cheaper than any other tariff by alot for me
  • jonny1945
    still unsure
    I'm tied to BG on web saver 13 till Christmas, I will be changing because they are to dear, but to whom, that is the question?
    any-one got any advise? I,m thinking about CO-OP no ties and clear rates.
    • EllenorR
    • By EllenorR 22nd Nov 12, 3:17 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    EllenorR
    I'm tied to BG on web saver 13 till Christmas, I will be changing because they are to dear, but to whom, that is the question?
    any-one got any advise? I,m thinking about CO-OP no ties and clear rates.
    Originally posted by jonny1945

I'm sorry, but how have you decided BG are too dear?
    Who have you compared them to?
    Have you used a comparison site? If so, therein lies the answer
  • jonny1945

I'm sorry, but how have you decided BG are too dear?
    Who have you compared them to?
    Have you used a comparison site? If so, therein lies the answer
    Originally posted by EllenorR
    Ellenor

Yes I used a comparison site, but thats not necessarily the answer because their quite difficult to understand and there are many people much more savvy than I and possibly you.
    hence the more opinions the better!
    • pooch
    • By pooch 22nd Nov 12, 5:33 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    pooch
    Ellenor

Yes I used a comparison site, but thats not necessarily the answer because their quite difficult to understand and there are many people much more savvy than I and possibly you.
    hence the more opinions the better!
    Originally posted by jonny1945
    Why do you say the comparison site is not necessarily the answer?
    If you are find the results confusing, most/all comparison sites have a number you can call who will run through the results for you.
    If you didn't understand the results, how do you know BG are too dear?

No one here can advise you of the cheapest supplier for you without having the necessary information you input into the comparison site ... and then you will be provided with the answer the comparison site gave you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,540Posts Today

7,177Users online

Martin's Twitter