Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 31st May 05, 12:11 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    M&S 90 day refund only
    • 31st May 05, 12:11 PM
    0 WOW
    M&S 90 day refund only 31st May 05 at 12:11 PM
    What's happened?

Marks & Spencer has reduced its 'return and refund' policy to a maximum of 90 days. Yet this is still much more generous than most retailers. It's worth giving you the heads up though.

Click reply to discuss.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
  • aliasojo
    • 31st May 05, 12:21 PM
    • 31st May 05, 12:21 PM
    I think they should have done this ages ago tbh. I never thought it made good business sense to refund on an item that was so old they didn't even stock it anymore.

Ikea also have a 90 day return policy which seems reasonable considering many people may well buy a large amount of furniture at the start of a house renovation job for example, so it may be some time before they realise an item is no longer required.

I think that most of us would realise our M&S knicks needed returned long before 3 months though.
    Herman - MP for all!
  • Edinburghlass
    • 31st May 05, 12:28 PM
    • 31st May 05, 12:28 PM
    As I don't have a Primark near at hand I usually do a trip a couple of times a year, for a winter and summer top up of clothes.

Went last w/end and took with me two items I had bought in October. Still had the receipt and they were exchanged with no problem at all, I would have been happy with a credit note. They refunded the full price although one blouse came up as half the price I paid.

The sales assistant told me they had no time limit on returns.

• RoisinD
    • 1st Jun 05, 7:46 AM
    • 1st Jun 05, 7:46 AM
    TBH I am not surprised. I have a friend who works for M&S and she told me that some 'customers' really took advantage of their returns policy and abused it.

The few always spoil it for the majority.
  • frizz_head
    • 1st Jun 05, 9:59 AM
    • 1st Jun 05, 9:59 AM
    It always amazed the 'cheek' of some people in the returns queue at M&S - I even watched one woman return a blouse that had the labels cut out, with no receipt - insisting that the full price of 40 be refunded!!! And, M&S did refund her!!

Its about time they did start toughening up, and apply the same rules as other retailers.
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.
    20 pints donated!
    • scoobie
    • By scoobie 1st Jun 05, 7:43 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    scoobie
    • 1st Jun 05, 7:43 PM
    • 1st Jun 05, 7:43 PM
    thats a shocker I have some clothes I bought in Jan sales then regretted that I was meaning to take back that are over 90 days. They are unused Anyone know if this applies retrospectively?
  • natalie1980
    • 1st Jun 05, 8:14 PM
    • 1st Jun 05, 8:14 PM
    thats a shocker I have some clothes I bought in Jan sales then regretted that I was meaning to take back that are over 90 days. They are unused Anyone know if this applies retrospectively?
    by scoobie

I work for M& S, you will get the last reduced price a lot of thing have been reduced to 50p, if I where you Id take them to a charity shop. I cant understand why it takes so long for people to return stuff to us. Most of us wanted the refund policy to be 28 days.
  • everly
    • 1st Jun 05, 8:58 PM
    • 1st Jun 05, 8:58 PM
    by scoobie
    I also work at M&S if you have the receipt then you will be refunded the money you paid. This new policy came into place on the 4th of May so the first 90 days does not come into effect untill the 9th of August. Unfortunately if you don't have the receipt then you will receive the last reduced price which by now it could be of very little value.
  • ckerrd
    • 1st Jun 05, 10:07 PM
    • 1st Jun 05, 10:07 PM
    I took a jacket back that was an unwanted Xmas gift of at least a year ago, way beyond the ninety days anyway. I was told the refund would be a penny. Decided not to bother and put it on ebay. Amazingly I got 21 for it so that is always an option. I do feel M&S have been far to generous in the past and it is about time they tightened up.
  • krishna
    I've taken goods back to John Lewis several years after purchase (but still unused). Without a receipt I have been allowed to swop for other goods, receiving full purchase price for the item I was returning. Never had a problem, even if it's been items they no longer stock. Never done it with clothes though.
    • lgs6753
    • By lgs6753 2nd Jun 05, 8:26 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    lgs6753
    Not quite the same thing
    Also, with effect last week, M&S have stopped accepting vouchers in payment of their '&more' credit card.
    This was a useful way of making your tokens go 1% further, now closed off
    • Hopelesswithmoney
    • By Hopelesswithmoney 2nd Jun 05, 9:48 AM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 960 Thanks
    Hopelesswithmoney
    Also, with effect last week, M&S have stopped accepting vouchers in payment of their '&more' credit card.
    This was a useful way of making your tokens go 1% further, now closed off
    by lgs6753
    I didn't know you could do that (pay off your bill with vouchers). I took some stuff back the other day that I had bought on my &More card. I'd lost the receipt and they refused to put the money back on my card but would only give me credit vouchers.

If you returned something you'd bought on-line, the returns slip doesn't give any payment details so they wouldn't know what card you'd paid on.
    Hopeless by name, hopeless by nature.
  • sprucegoose
    Marks and Spencer 90 day return policy
    Agree, this is very generous. Have recently received an order from M&S and particularly wanted to show the goods to a close friend as it was for a wedding. Couldn't see her for three weeks, so usual 14 day would have been no good! I got free delivery as well, so I am well pleased!
  • page
    rain coat
    my mum was given a m&s rain coat by a friend as a birthday present. which she loved until the lining started to fray.so she took the coat back to exchange it turns out the coat was last on sale about 12 years ago m&s still exchanged it for new coat. mums friend had explain she had brought the coat but never liked it so it sat in her wardrobe. she had it dry cleaned stuck the labels back on hay presto birthday present.
    • scoobie
    • By scoobie 27th Jul 05, 10:54 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    scoobie
    Time is running out on M&S returns over 90 days
    I also work at M&S if you have the receipt then you will be refunded the money you paid. This new policy came into place on the 4th of May so the first 90 days does not come into effect untill the 9th of August. Unfortunately if you don't have the receipt then you will receive the last reduced price which by now it could be of very little value.
    by everly
    Reminder for everyone - time is running out if you've got some M&S items you wanted to return but never got around to. The policy changes to 90 days soon!
    • Del_Boy_Gupta
    • By Del_Boy_Gupta 28th Jul 05, 10:10 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Del_Boy_Gupta
    I phoned up M&S customer service in relation to the conflicting info.

They state that the 90 day policy was retrospectively introduced in May .

I argued that it was not fair to introduce something without making people aware and that at the point of sale (staff had not mentioned about the change, which CS admtted that staff had been informed in March 2005 about the change).

CS's response is that whilst they are aware of this, their stance is firm and is listed in all shops.

NOW if someone has something concrete which states the policy is not being backdated or works for M&S and can endorse this view please let us know as I have a few things that are not wanted but outside the time!
    Mark Hughes' blue and white army
    • scoobie
    • By scoobie 5th Aug 05, 6:47 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    scoobie
    I phoned up M&S customer service in relation to the conflicting info.

They state that the 90 day policy was retrospectively introduced in May .

I argued that it was not fair to introduce something without making people aware and that at the point of sale (staff had not mentioned about the change, which CS admtted that staff had been informed in March 2005 about the change).

CS's response is that whilst they are aware of this, their stance is firm and is listed in all shops.

NOW if someone has something concrete which states the policy is not being backdated or works for M&S and can endorse this view please let us know as I have a few things that are not wanted but outside the time!
    by Del_Boy_Gupta
    I have also phoned customer services and they were very clear, that they will give the full price on any refunds purchased at any time up to 9th August (Tuesday). After that refunds are strictly 90 day only.

I don't understand why you cannot take your stuff back therefore up to Tuesday
  • royalsteve
    TBH I am not surprised. I have a friend who works for M&S and she told me that some 'customers' really took advantage of their returns policy and abused it.

The few always spoil it for the majority.
    by RoisinD
    yeh once some fogey brought in a pair of shoes that as it turns out they stopped selling a YEAR ago....he complained they had fallen to bits....looking at the shoes i reckon, based on daily usage, that they were at least 2 if not 3 years old!

some people are muppets
    Stevie Coppell's record breaking blue and white royal army - championship winners 2005-6
  • trace-j
    M&S have had an excellent customer service record IMHO, it was only a matter of time when the refund policy was reduced to take account of losses due to customers quite obviously taking the p***.
    I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 5th Aug 05, 9:36 PM
    • 6,201 Posts
    • 4,552 Thanks
    vansboy
    Think Wickes still let you take it back after 6 MONTHS!!

Different busines, I know, bet certainly generous of them!!

VB
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

585Posts Today

4,250Users online

Martin's Twitter