Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2012 EEEEEKKKKK!!!!, Terrifying how quickly the year has flown in!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the:
    October 2012 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    By request, here is Spiggles wonderful helpful post

We all have different budgets that suit our households. The most important thing to remember is that you set yours according to your needs and finances. It can take time to get to where you want to be too so don't knock yourself out if you go over in the first few months. We are here to support each other and it is not a competition.

I thought it might help to outline where we've come from and the top tips I've learned.

When we started in March 2010 we had spent in excess of 600 in the previous month. This had to stop, (there's only me and him and our two beautiful black cats) something which thankfully my OH completely agreed with so I have been lucky that he has been on board from the start. He gave me his debit card voluntarily and I still keep hold of it until he needs to get something for the home. At the same time we set up a system of pocket money (pm) at 15 each per week which doesn't count towards the GC and which we can each spend as we wish with no comebacks or complaints. OH predominantly uses his pm on his beer and I ferret mine away mostly.

The next step was to set up my own spreadsheet which is absolutely simple onto which I put all spends so that I have a continuous running total for the month and for the year. We initially set our budget at 280 per month and brought it down to 240 where it resides for most of the year it is occasionally increased to allow for extras e.g. Christmas to 260.

The important 'tools' we found greatly helped and continue to do so now are:

Stocktake cupboards, fridge, freezer - make lists and ensure that the older products get used up first. You'll be amazed at what you find squirrelled away and it will help with your shopping list as you'll realise that you don't actually need so much.

Before you go shopping check staples - running out of milk, bread, butter, etc often leads to going into a shop for one thing and coming out 20 lighter. Always check these and if they'll run out tomorrow buy them the same time as getting other things.

Always make a shopping list and stick to it - the supermarkets (sm) try every which way to get us to spend so having a list and strong resolve is the only way to beat them.

Keep every receipt - and then note it down on your spreadsheet/spend diary so that you always know where you are.

When tempted, ask yourself do you NEED it or just WANT it - now this advice goes with two things. Firstly, the things you see in store when shopping that APPEAR to be bargains - if you hadn't planned spending the money then its not a bargain. Secondly, the sm send us loads of vouchers for X off a spend of XX - if you had no NEED to spend XX then have you SAVED anything???

Use my supermarket to compare prices (limited to four of the biggies) - The site may be used to actually do an online shop at whichever of the big four offers the best value or, if you have the time and sm availability, to make up lists for visiting each of the stores so that you can purchase all you need at different stores thus getting the best possible value. (I'd add, do a 'shop' virtually on this site and take the list you create on it with you, whichever one you shop at, it will help keep target prices in your head and allow you to spot bargains. MrM is not included but you can do a virtual list on their website so you know what you're going to be spending.)

Always have a list - this is just as important when shopping online as shopping on foot.

Use Approved Foods online (with a list!) - if you don't mind out of date things (ood) or you can search for only in date items. The only drawback is storing the goods as far as I can tell. Oh, and watch the delivery as it's done on a scaled charge for weight so keep an eye on it. You can of course do an AF order with friends, family, colleagues or like minded neighbours. Other GCers use Big Br*nds 4 Less too.

Invest in a breadmaker - we have saved so much by making our own bread. The prices in the shops are extortionate for bread these days. There's loads of advice on this thread and others in the forum on this.

Use the recipe lists - always posted at the front of a new thread. There are fantastic, tasty, healthy and economical recipes to use on them and there are a number of other threads on the forum such as Weezl's that will help you to eat well on a budget.

Shop locally - the local greengrocer (or preferably market but I don't have one ) is usually cheaper as an option for fruit and veg (f&v) than the sm. Often the prices may look the same but when you look at the quantity for the same price the greengrocer will be cheaper. The same goes for the local butcher. Often you will have far more variety of meat available, advice on how to cook a particular meat can be offered and there is (for me at least) no comparison in terms of quality. We buy our huge FR eggs there and I'm yet to find an equivalent FR egg in a sm at the same or lower price. Obvioulsy if you have your own chicks/know someone who has chicks you can get them even cheaper again.

Grow your own - it's quite simple to grow some f&v at home even if it's only in pots on the patio. There are also supportive threads on the forum for this.

Cook your own - making meals at home from ingredients is far more economical, often tastes better than shop bought and is probably far better healthwise.

Meal Plan - this is something that others can advise on as we don't do it. I have a tremendous capacity for eating the same food over many days but presented in slightly different form. For example, we could buy 7 worth of brisket from the butchers and eat it as pot roast for a couple of days, sliced for sarnies, sliced with a salad, chucked into a casserole or shredded up and fried as crispy beef.

Don't waste food - either only make what you need or use any leftovers for other meals/creations or freeze it for another day.

Withdraw the cash you want to spend - and keep it in a separate purse. This can be particularly effective as you have the money in front of you reducing rather than spending with plastic which is so easy to lose track of. Very useful when you first start out.

Don't go to the shops to browse - this can only lead to pain and hardship!!!

Keep posting and reading the thread - there really is no better supportive, wise and inspirational place to be! I think I saw that somebody mentioned forgetting to read/post. I get around this by using the Advanced button to post, below the window where your text is displayed you will see Additional Options. In the Thread Subscription box use the dropdown to select either instant email notification (this is what I use) or daily email notification before you submit your latest post. Then you will get an email into your inbox from which you can click to the thread to see what others are saying.

Always remember the sm is not your friend - it wants to profit from you and take as much of your money as it can coerce out of you!

So, there you go as a starting point. Others on here will offer tremendous advice on meal planning. And don't forget, the only silly question is the one you didn't ask!

See you all later,
    Spigs
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 #6 #7 #8 & #9 on this thread (the list is growing!!!!!)

For everyones totals, see post #10 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 22-10-2012 at 1:33 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 25
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 9th Nov 12, 5:44 PM
    • 3,310 Posts
    • 29,414 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Thanks - I can't take total credit, but I adjusted it to what I had in:

Prawn, Cashew and Celery stir fry

> Mix 1 tbspn soy sauce, 1 tbspm sesame oil and 1 tbspn rice wine or mirin in a bowl - set aside.
    > Finely chop 3 - 5 cloves of garlic (I like garlic), about an inch of ginger, and half a red chilli deseeded (less/more depending on how hot you want it) - set aside
    > Thinly slice around 4 stalks of celery and half a bunch spring onions (green and white bits) - set aside separately. Also use half a pack of babycorn if hanging around
    > Heat a wok with some oil and fry the celery (+ babycorn if using) + 50g cashew nuts until cooked (about 5 mins). Place aside on a plate
    > Then in the same work put in a pack of defrosted raw tiger prawns (I had 225g) - fry for 2 mins, then add the ginger/garlic/chilli mix for 1 min. Add the celery, cashews and spring onions back in along with the soy sauce mixture for a couple of mins the sauce is cooked.
    > Serve with rice.

Writing it down sounds quite complicated, but it really isn't - it took max 15 mins

ETA: SuffolkLass - just make sure you don't get the flu if your boiler is playing up! :-(
    Originally posted by NickJW
    Thank you so much. I only need spring onions and fresh ginger (might stretch to minin too) to give that a go tomorrow. I've got half a bag of queen scallops in the freeer I might add a few of these too).

Do you ever feel it doesn't just drizzle, it pours... my washing machine had the light flashing when I just went to empty it. There was I dreading yet another call out but I looked up the manual online and this error (E20) means it isn't draining and there's a really useful emergency drain. Unfortunately if your machine is on the floor (mine is) it has no effect as the tap bit obviously needs to be below the water in order for the gravity pull to work. So nothing for it but to get loads of rags out from under the sink to soak up the "planned" flood and undo the main drain thing. It was like sticking your thumb over the end of the hose. Went blooming everywhere - cold water, lovely with the heating off... Anyway there was a mass of solid lint, pen bits and sticks in there Not sure routine mainenance is my strong suit! Might have to do that more regularly in future. Anyway it's re-doing the wash cycle to see it that fixed it and it's on here because if I've fixed it that's saved a call out.

I may have to sit quietly somewhere after all the excitement!
    Last edited by Suffolk lass; 09-11-2012 at 5:55 PM. Reason: mis-type
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 target is 7k 8,766.30 after Sep
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target 3k - 57.28% spent after Sep
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 108.23% 43,292.24 including Sep - reducing now to avoid fees
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) Q2 30,085 or 50.14% paid
    My DFD is here
    • MrsCD
    • By MrsCD 9th Nov 12, 5:57 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 11,263 Thanks
    MrsCD
    Well done Suffolk Lass for fixing the WM.
    I have a kitchen appliance insurance, and when my WM stopped working a while ago, I rang up, a nice chap came out and found a Colour Catcher in the filter! He said that most call outs for non-draining machines involve these and usually the insurance charge for the call out when it's one of those. He put the 'repair' down as something else so I wouldn't get a bill. Wasn't that nice of him I now check the washing as I put it in and when I take it out if I've used a C C!
    • mossy
    • By mossy 9th Nov 12, 6:02 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 8,206 Thanks
    mossy
    Suffolk Lass, what a nightmare!! Although that's quite an impressive collection of items in your washing machine! If they were giving out prizes you'd definitely pick one up for all of that!!

Trying not to spend any money until next weekend, but walked through Sainsbugs and they had a chicken on YS for 2 plus new pots for 39p so I thought it would be rude not to pick one up! Have friends coming over on Sunday and she doesn't like beef and as my main food source until payday is DR mince I'm glad I came across the chicken!

We have a new Asda which opened on Monday and by all accounts has been heaving since it opened, to the point where the police had to close the car park half way through the first day. I think perhaps we need a little more excitement around here!! Anyways, apparently they have some great offers at the moment, toying with going tomorrow but it will probably be horrific as it's Saturday and I don't really have the money to spend!! What to do, what to do....
    Saving for Disney again, oops why book one Disney holiday when you can book two!

Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - 10/1000 1%
    #083 SPC6 63 - SPC7 90 - SPC8 63 - SPC9 54 - SPC10 26 - SPC12 70
  • oligeo
    Small spend in Mr T today as had niece & nephew for tea & had promised to make pizza & needed ham to go on top.

Fridge looking very bare & a trip to the shops needed.
    Sarah
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 9th Nov 12, 6:24 PM
    • 4,369 Posts
    • 30,042 Thanks
    tessie bear
    suffolk that wouldnt be a dys0n washing machine by any chance ?? we used to have one and many evenings were spent with dh carrying said washing machine around our utility room draining the damn thing...got a new one now thankgoodness

we had hm kfc style chicken for tea which was nicer than the deepfried stuff and was made with organic free range chicken....everyone ate it so that was a sucess...trifle for pud not hm but part of the mand s meal deal...lush

have a nice weekend tess
    onwards and upwards
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 9th Nov 12, 6:51 PM
    • 3,310 Posts
    • 29,414 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    suffolk that wouldnt be a dys0n washing machine by any chance ?? we used to have one and many evenings were spent with dh carrying said washing machine around our utility room draining the damn thing...got a new one now thankgoodness

have a nice weekend tess
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    No, mine's a generic zanny/electro - and I can now report that it is working properly. Ooh I feel Sooo smug (just slightly concerned there will be a third thing though)...

I think it was definitely my fault, I wondered what that door was for

All the best
    SL
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 108.23% 43,292.24 including Sep - reducing now to avoid fees
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) Q2 30,085 or 50.14% paid
    My DFD is here
    • gien
    • By gien 9th Nov 12, 7:38 PM
    • 1,645 Posts
    • 15,704 Thanks
    gien
    So, I did my big shop at Lidl* today and spent 79, giving a total of 461 euros for the month so far. Doesn't sound too good as the month is not yet into double figures, but this should last us up to the 16th and then it's just 10 days till pay day.

might have to top up milk and salad later in the week but it shouldn't be too much.
    Trying to keep in budget.

• meg72
    • By meg72 9th Nov 12, 8:23 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    No, mine's a generic zanny/electro - and I can now report that it is working properly. Ooh I feel Sooo smug (just slightly concerned there will be a third thing though)...

I think it was definitely my fault, I wondered what that door was for

All the best
    SL
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Well done you,feel as smug as you like,re the third thing my dear old Nana used to break an old plate or mug and counted that,bless her she purposely kept any chipped stuff for those occasions. I once suggested breaking a matchstick in half instead but she didnt think that would work
    Slimming World at target
  • rosieben
    NickJW, your Prawn, Cashew and Celery stir fry is now in the index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • meg72
    • By meg72 9th Nov 12, 8:31 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Forgot to say I finished the fiscal fast,all 7 days of it without spending a penny. I plan to spend the 20.00 I saved on a parcel for my local womens refuge as I`ve heard they always need little pressies for the womens and kids to brighten up Christms a bit.
    Slimming World at target
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 9th Nov 12, 8:52 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    My cousin came by yesterday to get me out but I talked her into having a day in! I taught her how to make laundry liquid and we drank lots of tea!
    What a cheap afternoon!
    My neice is staying over now as it was har birthday yesterday and her and my son were yacking all night so I got no sleep. I could strangle them!
    Got to bed at 6 am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All ok today and we shall see what tonight brings!
    Cooked a chicken and did salad with it for tea. I was going to add chips but dd threw out the apparantly sprouting potatoes and I had no chips in my feezer as I am running it down. Well I found about 8 chips and half a bag of hashbrowns so that is what we had!
    Baking a packet mix loaf in the breadmaker but it looks like a disaster at the moment! Not the norm in my panny so I blame the mix!
    Just roasted a joint of beef to slice up for salads sarnies and whatever meals I decide upon!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Taranaman
    Oh dear, gone past half way on my budget with two thirds of the month still left. Good news I've got meals planned until the 21st so all is not lost. One big shop and a little one brings the tally to 177.51.
    January GC 299/300
    February GC 295/270
    March GC 92/243 then lost the plot and stopped recording for two months and went way over
    May GC 372/250 still looking for the plot
    June GC 118/250
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 10th Nov 12, 8:11 AM
    • 3,412 Posts
    • 34,917 Thanks
    XSpender
    Small spend yesterday on organic veg box and milk, organic yogs and some organic salad veg. Total spent 31 odd. DH and I have agreed that this is all we are spending until next Friday at the earliest. If DH wants some beer it will have to come out of a different pot. He has done some extra work this week so he can use that money.

I have 55.44 to last until the 21st. This is the closest I have ever been to achieving my GC in all the years I have been doing it With a bit of focus, using up everything fresh we have in and checking what is in the freezer I think we can do it

I have meal planned for the next 12 days and apart from some chicken I think I have everything in.
    October Grocery Challenge - 277.74/220
    • elly2
    • By elly2 10th Nov 12, 8:13 AM
    • 553 Posts
    • 5,227 Thanks
    elly2
    morning
    Morning all spent 11.50 in I**land yesterday and 6 in the fruit shop bringing total this week so far to 32.50. Was supposed to be at work this morning but the office "misunderstood" my phone call and cancelled my last shift !!! so have lost 8 hrs pay . Hoping to start new job next week but deffo have shifts for the following week. This morning in a moment of madness i paid some more debts off so savings have reduced further but i feel so much better and have worked out that i will have recouped the money in just over a year by paying the debt money into my savings so marisotta have now gone (303 they were charging me an average 10 service charge a month) and i*m* have recieved 794 (scary) but that is my bnpl dec +jan payments covered so have saved 200 in intrest payments on them alone and an extra 500 on top of my normal 70 monthly payment they charge an average 30 intrest per month so that should come down a little, will wait to see total balance when payments go through and will try my hardest to clear the rest off asap. Today will be a NSD for the GC but feel that me and the lo's need to celebrate so will be a celebration spend day .

• happy chick
    veggie box delivered yesterday plus a couple of mini shops this week so my total is 85.99 so far this month.

Happy to report a successful week of meal planning - plan was followed more or less to the letter, so I'm doing another one for this week too! Nothing will be wasted!
    GC: Jan 118.67/175

Owed to Mum -
    1,487/6,400
    Overdraft -
    Total -
    2,878/7,791

• happy chick
    Absolutely YES! - It took me three months to get to grips and you can see from my sig that I have had a generous budget that I have occasionally failed to stay within for most of the year.

After many years of DH earning 4 times my wage he lost his job and completely retrained as a teacher and now earns less than me. I had several years of trying to adjust with no real success and I recognise my own tendencies to hoard, over-shop, buy snobby-brands and so on (I won't go on it's not comfortable to read-back).

I think that round about summer holidays I got to the point where I stopped buying all my "usual" things and now I shop more regularly to my list of just the ingredients I need for my plan.

I think I really am changing but as a F/T worker in a challenging job (which I do enjoy) that takes me out for 12+ hours four days and working from home to top up my hours, I make compromises that I accept.

You say being knackered in the evening and not wanting to cook is your failing so you buy take away. Why not try week of low effort cooking such as:

Monday - a slow-cooked casserole/stew
    Tuesday - leftovers in a pie (bought pastry lid) and added frozen veg like peas or mixed veg
    Wednesday - a quick pasta dish (some take 3 minutes to cook which is quicker than take-away)
    Thursday - a home-made ready-meal from your freezer that you can take out in the morning and nuke when you get home
    Then you are only looking at Friday night and for me, because it's the weekend I relax a bit and if it's only Jacket Potato and beans with grated cheese, that is great; nutritious quick (if you nuke the potatoes before baking the last 15 minutes), delicious and cheap.

HTH and good luck in November
    SL
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Thanks Suffolk Lass for your tips - I've taken them on board and started cooking low effort food in the week as well as restocking the freezer by making large batches when I do cook. I'm determined not to throw anything away this week so meal planning and shopping accordingly.
    GC: Jan 118.67/175

Owed to Mum -
    1,487/6,400
    Overdraft -
    Total -
    2,878/7,791

• theatregirl4
    • By theatregirl4 10th Nov 12, 9:57 AM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 7,033 Thanks
    theatregirl4
    2.08 in Sainsbob's yesterday - forgot to take a snack to work! x

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 10th Nov 12, 10:51 AM
    • 3,310 Posts
    • 29,414 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    meal plan for this week
    Our meal plan for this week is smaller as I am away for Tuesday and Wednesday evenings and is based on a minimum spend week to get back on track.

Sat - corn on cob starter then a variation on NickJW's Prawn, celery and cashew stir-fry - I may use shallots thinly sliced instead of spring onions and add some chopped savoy cabbage and defrosted runner beans then I have everything in except mirin so will sub white wine and rice wine vinegar mixed

Sun - roast chicken with roast veg (in) and runner beans and carrots (steam extra cabbage in with veg) - just need streaky bacon rashers for the top of the chicken

Mon - corn on cob (bought 2 packs of c-o-c last week and didn't use them) followed by a frittata thing (potato and cabbage ala bubble and squeak, cooked with onion, little chilli and garlic, covered in beaten egg and grated cheese and oven-baked until solid - with salad leaves and maybe some shredded chicken pickings

Tues - DH only - pasta with spoonful of philly garlic and herbs stirred in (it's been lurking for about 3 weeks since I bought it on offer) and some leftover chicken

Wed - DH only will have cold chicken with Jacket Potato, pickles and salad

Thurs - meatballs with penne, topped with half a jar of readymade bol sauce and topped with grated cheese and baked (all store cupboard and easy as I will be knackered)

Fri - might buy fresh fish from the stall in the next town as I will be going for a haircut - if there's any chicken left I will make a chicken and frozen veg pie instead

My shopping list is streaky bacon, milk for the office, fresh fruit and eggs. I actually have everything else in (proof that I am still buying too much since DS moved out).

I need to get a wiggle on now as DH is back from putting the lawn-mower in for service and I'm sitting here in my nightie, furry slippers and garden jacket (no heating you see) - very glamorous! and it's nearly 12.00 - I need to help chop wood and shift paving stones.

Have a great weekend everyone
    SL

PS and I can do the washing in between now I've fixed the WM!
    My DFD is here
    • liz-paul
    • By liz-paul 10th Nov 12, 10:53 AM
    • 895 Posts
    • 4,806 Thanks
    liz-paul
    Anyone else unhappy with Tesco's and their 'price matched' substitutions? They ised to be really good but sometimes they are rubbish e.g. today they substituted 3 packs of value crumpets for 2 packs of kingsmill crumpets and I still paid the same. They also substituted a 750g box of shreddies for a 500g box and again I paid the same price

In case you're wondering, Hubby opened the door and accepted the substitutions....
    1% at a time no. 40. 8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
    MFW 2013 no. 62 10,000/10,000
    MFW 2014 no 62 8000/7000
    • Bluegreen143
    • By Bluegreen143 10th Nov 12, 10:58 AM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 12,739 Thanks
    Bluegreen143
    Do you mind posting that Salmon recipe? Looks gorgeous (and uses my favourite ingredients!)!!!
    Originally posted by NickJW
    No problem. I just invented it as I went along, so there was a lot of tasting and adding more of this and that, so take quantities as a guide rather than gospel. Also put in what I had to use up so it is a very flexible recipe

Asian-style salmon & squash salad
    One cooked salmon fillet (I cooked mine the night before in a foil parcel in the oven with a little mirin & soy sauce)
    A big handful of roasted butternut squash (I had roasted a whole squash earlier in the week to add to things)
    A small handful of chopped skinned peanuts
    A couple of big handfuls of salad leaves (I used half iceberg lettuce and half spinach)
    One spring onion, sliced thinly into diagonal rounds
    Two radishes, thinly sliced

For the dressing:
    A tablespoon each of honey, soy sauce and Japanese vinegar
    a teaspoon of mirin
    one small finely chopped red chilli.

After mixing, I tasted it and added way more honey so I'd add two tbspns to start with and just keep tasting! It was pretty hot so you might only want half a chilli

Layer the salad in a big pasta bowl or similar - I popped the leaves in first, scattered over the radish, arranged the butternut squash in a circle and shredded the salmon over the top. Scatter with the peanuts and spring onions, then pour the dressing over.

If you are allergic to/don't like any of the salad ingredients you could easily swap them for something else e.g. beef, duck, tofu or prawns instead of salmon, skip the peanuts or swap for cashew nuts, use mixed salad leaves from a bag, add cucumber - whatever you want
    Married 1 March 2014 DS born 06 Dec 2014 DD born 14 Dec 2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,342Posts Today

7,845Users online

Martin's Twitter