Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 10th Jul 07, 2:14 PM
    • 9,418Posts
    • 22,339Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    Do you check your credit files?
    • 10th Jul 07, 2:14 PM
    Do you check your credit files? 10th Jul 07 at 2:14 PM
    Credit reference agencies know a huge amount about us; and the info held informs almost every financial product application we make. One small error can cause havock.

There are three reference agencies: Callcredit, Equifax and Experian; how often do you check? Which is the nearest to your situation?

A. All'n'Often. I check the 3 agencies annually.
    B. Often but not all. I check one agency a year
    C. Occasionally. I've checked all 3 over the last few years
    D. Rarely. I've only ever checked once or twice
    E. Never. I've never checked my files

Please vote here or click reply to discuss.

If you don't check, read Your Credit Rating: How to check for free and improve it

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 10-07-2007 at 6:31 PM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
  • redjim
    • 11th Jul 07, 6:44 AM
    • 11th Jul 07, 6:44 AM
    I never check my credit score!!!! My credit rating is shocking, by checking your credit rating is it possible to improve it in a short space of time?
    • NatFeerick
    • By NatFeerick 11th Jul 07, 9:51 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    NatFeerick
    • 11th Jul 07, 9:51 AM
    • 11th Jul 07, 9:51 AM
    I am registered with Experian and they email me whenever there is any activity on my credit file. In less than a year I have had 2 entries removed - one turned out to be the result of using an Insurance Quote comparison site of the sort MSE recommends - one of the companies returning a quote had done a search on my file even though I hadn't contacted them directly & hadn't taken their product. This means these sites are sharing our name & address details with the quoting companies - something they do not make clear. Another was a catalogue company who performed a search after sending me a catalogue through one of those online 'reader request' services where you have to select an offer to be entered in a prize draw. I argued that since I hadn't asked to purchase from them they had no right to do a credit search. They claim this is stated on their terms and conditions but as you would not have access to these through a third party site it was on this technicality that I finally got the entry removed. But a lesson for us all - knowledge is power, so get clued up!
  • cantfindmywayhome
    • 11th Jul 07, 10:13 AM
    • 11th Jul 07, 10:13 AM
    Have tried to get credit ratings using free trial sites, but get refused access due to never having had a credit card!

Lack of credit card can also prevent you from getting storecards too.
    Presumably everyone thinks that you aren't eligible for them due to lack of resources or previous debt problems.

In my case, I've never needed one......if I haven't got the cash, I don't buy.......but now I'm being penalised for being careful!

I would really like to see my credit rating as, like one of the previous people posted, I often get quotes that I then don't take up due to finding a better deal elsewhere. If these all count against me, then my rating must suck bigtime!
  • COPPERHEADJACK
    • 11th Jul 07, 10:38 AM
    • 11th Jul 07, 10:38 AM
    I never check my credit scoring but perhaps I should as not so long ago someone showed me a credit print out of me at my mums address and there had been 2 credit cards applied for in my name and i don't even live there.
    how would i get these removed
    My Mission today is to have an opinion on everything.
    If you don't like it well you will just have to lump it!
    • 1012donna
    • By 1012donna 12th Jul 07, 3:51 PM
    • 11,214 Posts
    • 10,190 Thanks
    1012donna
    • 12th Jul 07, 3:51 PM
    • 12th Jul 07, 3:51 PM
    I've never checked mine..... got me thinking now though!
    Murphy's No More Pies Club Member No. 68

• James
    • By James 12th Jul 07, 6:05 PM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    James
    • 12th Jul 07, 6:05 PM
    • 12th Jul 07, 6:05 PM
    I suppose the main reason for checking your file is to find out if there are any 'accounts' you don't recognise. Could you be the victim of ID theft.

If you want to obtain FREE warnings of possible attacks on your Credit Files held by all 3 agencies.

And

If you want to make sure if there is an account that's been opened in your name it isn't attributed to you,

OR

If an account has been opened by a crook and you want to finger that crook OR hold the lender accountable.

Then:

Have a look at www.freeidprotection.co.uk and read the media links on the home page.

The choice is yours FREE Indications & Warnings of attacks on your files and person protection for nowt.
    • LouBlue
    • By LouBlue 12th Jul 07, 7:17 PM
    • 53,046 Posts
    • 118,963 Thanks
    LouBlue
    • 12th Jul 07, 7:17 PM
    • 12th Jul 07, 7:17 PM
    I did it for the first time a couple of weeks back cos I am in the middle of a major overhaul re my finances.

Very easy to do.

Could not BELIEVE the number of credit cards and loans I have had in the past, forgot all about them! But was pleased to see I had a credit rating of 999 out of 1000. I have never defaulted payments and always settled everything. So I can now see why I get everything I apply for, perfect customer, long credit history, who always pays.

That makes me sound like I have no debt....I have quite a bit..

Oh and another good thing about it? Going to write to all the companies I had a CC with and forgot about. Going to reclaim charges.
    Last edited by LouBlue; 16-07-2007 at 8:34 AM.
    A cloudy day is no match for a sunny disposition

~ William Arthur Ward ~
    • James
    • By James 12th Jul 07, 10:07 PM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    James
    • 12th Jul 07, 10:07 PM
    • 12th Jul 07, 10:07 PM
    I believe the yanks are entitled to a FREE credit report every year.

As fighting crime is supposed to be a non-competitive issue, and our details are sold the credit reference agencies by the council, then surely we should received the same - a Credit Report, supplied annually FOC?
    • momisa
    • By momisa 16th Jul 07, 6:08 AM
    • 296 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    momisa
    I check all 3 annually. Whilst it's interesting making comparisons of all 3 reports at the same time, I find that having a gap in between ordering them helps me focus more on each individual report to ensure it's correct. The amount of phone calls I've had to make in order to have corrections made always surprises me. I definately feel better knowing that my report only contains valid information.
    • James
    • By James 16th Jul 07, 3:22 PM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    James
    Further to my last:

Experian rejects ID theft notification

Anna Fielder, policy consultant at the National Consumer Council, said the UK should follow the example of California, where companies who expose individuals’ data have to contact and notify the individuals concerned.

Story click here.
    • digerati
    • By digerati 16th Jul 07, 11:07 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    digerati
    Once every four months
    I request a credit report (£2) from a different company every four months (e.g. Experian, Equifax, Callcredit, Experian...). Think of it as cheap insurance!

This way I monitor my credit reports at each company at least once every 12 months (annual cost £6 for three reports/year). I'll normally notice any problems or errors within four months of them appearing on my credit report. Also there is a variation in information between the different companies so it pays to check all three reports for errors or inaccuracies.
    "Money is truthful. If a person speaks of their honour, make sure they pay in cash."
    • James
    • By James 17th Jul 07, 7:56 AM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    James
    I request a credit report (£2) from a different company every four months (e.g. Experian, Equifax, Callcredit, Experian...). Think of it as cheap insurance!

This way I monitor my credit reports at each company at least once every 12 months (annual cost £6 for three reports/year). I'll normally notice any problems or errors within four months of them appearing on my credit report. Also there is a variation in information between the different companies so it pays to check all three reports for errors or inaccuracies.
    Originally posted by digerati
    The point about checking your credit file monthly for the purposes of spotting and stopping fraud, is that it is reactive. The fraud has usually taken place.

It's much cheaper and simpler to take PROACTIVE steps to fully protect yourself 24/7.

www.freeidprotection.co.uk
  • Former MSE Lawrence
    And the results are in...
    Poll started 10 July 2007.

Credit reference agencies know a huge amount about us; and the info held informs almost every financial product application we make. One small error can cause havoc.

There are three reference agencies Callcredit, Equifax and Experian. So how often do you check? Which is the nearest to your situation?

IMPORTANT WARNING!. It's important to check your files, for more info, after voting, read your credit rating: check for free and improve it

A. All'n'Often. I check the 3 agencies annually. 3% (142)

B. Often but not all. I check one agency a year 6% (312)

C. Occasionally. I've checked all 3 over the last few years 4% (218)

D. Rarely. I've only ever checked once or twice 27% (1311)

E. Never. I've never checked my files 59% (2887)

Total Votes: 4859
    Thanks to everybody that voted
    • jowie
    • By jowie 18th Jul 07, 10:00 AM
    • 196 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    jowie
    May I just add...
    ...That there is a way of checking your credit rating without any free loopholes:

http://www.annualcreditreport.co.uk/

It only updates once a year, but you don't have to worry about signing up and then remembering to cancel because it is completely free.

cheers

:-Joe
  • Manty
    The point about checking your credit file monthly for the purposes of spotting and stopping fraud, is that it is reactive. The fraud has usually taken place.

It's much cheaper and simpler to take PROACTIVE steps to fully protect yourself 24/7.

Originally posted by James
    I like this, it looks excellent. One question though; when applying for credit, do you thumbprint anywhere on the form or supply a thumbprinted letter with the form?
    • jowie
    • By jowie 18th Jul 07, 12:03 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    jowie

Originally posted by James
    So does that mean if you wish to buy a washing machine on 0% credit or anything like that, you have to try and explain to the gormless Saturday sales staff in Currys that you'll need them to take an inkless thumbprint?

Good luck

Although I guess it would be very useful if you do not intend on taking out any credit accounts in the future and want full peace of mind.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

967Posts Today

6,216Users online

Martin's Twitter