Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 2nd Nov 12, 4:39 PM
    • 4,546 Posts
    • 7,250 Thanks
    sillygoose
    • 2nd Nov 12, 4:39 PM
    • 2nd Nov 12, 4:39 PM
    To be followed sooner or later by lots of posts here from new smart phone users who forget to turn data off asking 'help I have had a bill for 880 pounds from O2, where do I stand?' the answer being in a big dirty puddle slowly sinking unfortunately!!
    • Lit Up
    • By Lit Up 2nd Nov 12, 8:46 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Lit Up
    • 2nd Nov 12, 8:46 PM
    • 2nd Nov 12, 8:46 PM
    MSE should make an article about the advantages of owning a cheap second mobile/smartphone and putting native SIMs in when abroad. All my friends visiting I tell to buy a cheap 3 sim for 15 with unltd data, 300 mins/texts. Even if they're here for just a week, that's a massive saving on roaming charges from their own country. Maybe MSE could find the equivalent to cheap 15 sim only deals for the most popular destinations both in the EU and out.
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 2nd Nov 12, 8:49 PM
    • 8,201 Posts
    • 3,011 Thanks
    Buzby
    • 2nd Nov 12, 8:49 PM
    • 2nd Nov 12, 8:49 PM
    This was foretold by the networks who were badly affected by the EU price cap. Commentators noted the cost burden would shift to non-EU base networks - and that's just what's happened!
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 2nd Nov 12, 10:40 PM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 2nd Nov 12, 10:40 PM
    • 2nd Nov 12, 10:40 PM
    o2's parent company Telefonica of Spain recently announced it has debts of 47billion (yes, billion) and is trying to save money by franchising 82 of its shops in the UK (not that it will help that much).

Quote from the report summarises -

Telefonica is running out of ways to raise the cash it needs and is going to have to cut costs or sell assets in Britain, analysts said. “They are clamping down on expenditure everywhere but it is very hard to do in Spain for political reasons so they are looking hard at O2 and its properties in Latin America instead,

Unquote

I just wonder how long they will continue supporting GiffGaff!
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 3rd Nov 12, 8:12 AM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    • 3rd Nov 12, 8:12 AM
    • 3rd Nov 12, 8:12 AM
    If the unthinkable happened, what really worries me is how Sean Bean would cope....
    • reclusive46
    • By reclusive46 3rd Nov 12, 8:40 AM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 808 Thanks
    reclusive46
    • 3rd Nov 12, 8:40 AM
    • 3rd Nov 12, 8:40 AM
    I wonder if O2 can even afford the 4G auctions
    • dvs
    • By dvs 3rd Nov 12, 8:45 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    dvs
    • 3rd Nov 12, 8:45 AM
    • 3rd Nov 12, 8:45 AM
    I'm with O2 on a sim only deal and still have a legacy tariff which gives unlimited data and international texts included but I'm getting more and more frustrated with their 3G coverage in the UK.

EE have roaming tariffs which offer unlimited voice and minutes in selected countries (inc USA) for an extra 5 per month. The tariff option won't be for everyone but if you travel often it seems a good deal.
    • NFH
    • By NFH 3rd Nov 12, 7:05 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    • 3rd Nov 12, 7:05 PM
    • 3rd Nov 12, 7:05 PM
    The more I see rip-offs like O2's latest price hikes, the more pleased I am that I now use local SIM cards in every country I visit. As well as the obvious benefit of paying the same prices as locals do, having a mobile number in the visited country makes it much easier to communicate with locals, whether they be individuals or businesses.
    • visidigi
    • By visidigi 3rd Nov 12, 7:26 PM
    • 5,709 Posts
    • 3,586 Thanks
    visidigi
    o2's adding more and more reasons why customers wont stay.

Outages, weak support and horrible internet service - there's something worryingly creaky about o2's network lately...
    • diamonds
    • By diamonds 3rd Nov 12, 7:39 PM
    • 5,981 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    diamonds
    o2's adding more and more reasons why customers wont stay.

Outages, weak support and horrible internet service - there's something worryingly creaky about o2's network lately...
    Originally posted by visidigi
    Lately ?

The writing was on the wall when Telefonica bought it, have you experienced utilities in Spain, maybe be cheap but service ? LOL
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe
    • redux
    • By redux 3rd Nov 12, 7:42 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 26,583 Thanks
    redux
    This was foretold by the networks who were badly affected by the EU price cap. Commentators noted the cost burden would shift to non-EU base networks - and that's just what's happened!
    Originally posted by Buzby
    Sorry, but this comment is nonsense.

Before the regulators started driving down roaming prices, profit margins on some calls were about 90% of the retail tariff.

When Orange started its roaming rates in some countries were the same as or cheaper than their calls here. Rates at home then dropped while some roaming rated doubled or trebled. I was in Poland when they increased the rate there from 51p to 1.10 (without notifying everyone)

The EU is supposed to be a single market, and it's about time the phone companies stopped trying to refuse to accept that, or carping about regulation that occurs after their refusals.

There is no reason for them to raise tariffs elsewhere either.
    Last edited by redux; 03-11-2012 at 8:11 PM.
    • donny-gal
    • By donny-gal 3rd Nov 12, 7:48 PM
    • 4,600 Posts
    • 38,150 Thanks
    donny-gal
    Lately ?

The writing was on the wall when Telefonica bought it, have you experienced utilities in Spain, maybe be cheap but service ? LOL
    Originally posted by diamonds
    Not cheap either!
    DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
    • NFH
    • By NFH 3rd Nov 12, 8:39 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    When Orange started its roaming rates in some countries were the same as or cheaper than their calls here. Rates at home then dropped while some roaming rated doubled or trebled. I was in Poland when they increased the rate there from 51p to 1.10 (without notifying everyone)
    Originally posted by redux
    Good example but I have a better one. A local call while roaming with Orange in Singapore used to cost 6p/min, but on 1st February 2001 it suddenly jumped to 1.30/min. This is because whereas previously the networks charged the visited networks' prices + 35%, they started uncompetitively setting their own flat rates, overriding the healthy competition between the visited networks. Oftel just sat back and allowed this uncompetitive behaviour to happen.
    • redux
    • By redux 5th Nov 12, 9:02 AM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 26,583 Thanks
    redux
    Good example but I have a better one. A local call while roaming with Orange in Singapore used to cost 6p/min, but on 1st February 2001 it suddenly jumped to 1.30/min. This is because whereas previously the networks charged the visited networks' prices + 35%, they started uncompetitively setting their own flat rates, overriding the healthy competition between the visited networks. Oftel just sat back and allowed this uncompetitive behaviour to happen.
    Originally posted by NFH
    Yes. Somewhere I still have the roaming booklet that came with my phone in 1999. Maybe Hong Kong was also about that price. In France and Belgium were about 28 p, while the outside bundle price here at home was 30p

I can see an offer by one foreign network that has free incoming calls anywhere in the world. Contract only available to residents, unfortunately. I imagine there are some places with no coverage on that deal though.

But any of us can get a SIM with free incoming calls in USA and other places, and forward an O2 contract number to it, so the canniest of their customers won't be affected by this increase. This MSE article doesn't really make this point.
    Last edited by redux; 05-11-2012 at 9:15 AM.
    • mbanbrook
    • By mbanbrook 5th Nov 12, 10:32 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    mbanbrook
    This makes Truphone even more of a bargain. I divert my O2 to the UK number of their SIM card when in America to avoid these obscene rates.

http://www.truphone.com/en-GB/Products/Tru-for-you/Rate-Checker/

Just 10p a minute to receive and 20p per MB, compared to O2's 90p to receive and 6 per MB.
    Next post follows in a moment ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

1,753Users online

Martin's Twitter