Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 1st Nov 12, 8:46 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: House prices continuing to fall, says Nationwide
    • 1st Nov 12, 8:46 AM
    MSE News: House prices continuing to fall, says Nationwide 1st Nov 12 at 8:46 AM
    "The 0.9% year-on-year decrease took average house prices to 164,153 in October, the building society says..."

Read the full story:

House prices continuing to fall, says Nationwide

This thread is not in the 'discuss house prices and economy board' as that is only open to those logged into the forum so anyone coming from the news story may not be able to see it.

Page 1
  • rickbonar.
    • 1st Nov 12, 9:34 AM
    • 1st Nov 12, 9:34 AM
    Funny I thought I read here MSE recently house prices were surging?
    • DRP
    • By DRP 1st Nov 12, 10:31 AM
    • 3,909 Posts
    • 3,376 Thanks
    DRP
    • 1st Nov 12, 10:31 AM
    • 1st Nov 12, 10:31 AM
    Originally posted by rickbonar.
    I think I've read both sides of the argument here on MSE!

Each point of view vehemently backed up with data and anecdote...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 1st Nov 12, 10:38 AM
    • 28,492 Posts
    • 100,276 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 1st Nov 12, 10:38 AM
    • 1st Nov 12, 10:38 AM
    Not exactly surging, but average prices went up in October.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/hpi/default.htm

All in all it's a pretty flat picture. Slightly down nationally over the year hides larger regional movements, but monthly movements like this are noise.

A non-story really.
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • J i m
    • By J i m 1st Nov 12, 10:44 AM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 1,704 Thanks
    J i m
    • 1st Nov 12, 10:44 AM
    • 1st Nov 12, 10:44 AM
    Yeah.. I don't take too much store in these articles because they are always accompanied by others contradicting them.

I usually simply conclude that no one knows what they're talking about, lest of all myself :P
    Progress Report
    Offer accepted: 107'000
    Deposit: 23'000
    Mortgage approved for: 84'000
    Exchanged: 2/3/16
    ... complete on 9/3/16 ...
  • MelaBella
    • 1st Nov 12, 11:26 AM
    • 1st Nov 12, 11:26 AM
    its quite difficult to analyze this sort of data. countrywide figures are mostly irrelevant because all the regions folllow their own patter of development (London always stands out with the rising house prices of course), also there is wide gap between higher-end and lower end sales (with the first ones increasing and the latest ones decreasing). it s always better to look at the sales figures from particular region and particular type of housing (lower end, typical or higher end) in oprder to draw a picture.

In general the main poroblem is continuing and rising unemployment in the country (dont be fooled by Olympics hype, the reality is slowly taking over now), hence unability to take the mortgages. I think in a short term and med term the whorsening economic conditions will pull the prices for typical houses down. the lower tier housing market will be whorst affected, the higher tier housing market will be only gaining (foreign investors are stocking on the properties in the UK).
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 1st Nov 12, 8:59 PM
    • 3,610 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 1st Nov 12, 8:59 PM
    • 1st Nov 12, 8:59 PM
    It's all just fractions of a percent. I don't think the data is really that reliable. Price changes differ across the country by more than that.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 2nd Nov 12, 7:09 AM
    • 10,921 Posts
    • 8,909 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    • 2nd Nov 12, 7:09 AM
    • 2nd Nov 12, 7:09 AM
    Naaa, that's just asking prices.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • rickbonar.
    • 5th Nov 12, 1:38 AM
    • 5th Nov 12, 1:38 AM
    Naaa, that's just asking prices.
    Originally posted by gadgetmind
    I had to laugh the free property papers they put through your door are indeed upping the prices.

It's true if nothing's selling ....you may as well ask 2 million.!
  • rickbonar.
    And just how much is Abu Hamza's ex council house worth?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

542Posts Today

6,686Users online

Martin's Twitter