Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Queenie
    Sprouting spuds ............
    • 29th May 05, 5:06 PM
    Sprouting spuds ............ 29th May 05 at 5:06 PM
    ......... old potatoes are coming to the end of their season and are more and more likely to be sprouting.

In true old fashioned "waste not, want not" style and spurred on by squeaky's post in another thread about using up sprouting spuds, thought I'd share some specific Potato Freezer Recipes so we can make the most of those old potatoes before they sprout and deteriorate beyond resusitation!

These recipes use only potatoes and store cupboard ingredients so need no dedicated "planning" in order to get them into the freezer.

Potato Hotcakes (like hash browns)
    (serves 6 - 8)

2lb potatoes, peeled
    2Tbsp flour
    2tsp mustard powder
    2Tbsp finely grated onion
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 small eggs, beaten
    vegetable oil for frying

Soak the potatoes in cold water for 30mins, then drain. Grate into a bowl and drain off any starchy liquid, then add the remaining ingredients, except the oil, and stir well to mix.

Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the mixture in spoonfuls and fry until browned on both sides.
    To Freeze: cool quickly. Open freeze until firm, then pack in a rigid container, seperating each layer with foil.
    Seal, label and return to the freezer.
    To Thaw and Serve: remove wrappings and place on a baking sheet. Reheat from frozen in a preheated moderate oven (180C/350F/Gas 4) for approx 30 mins or until heated through.

Potatoes Normande
    Serves 4 - 6

2lb potoatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
    1½ oz butter
    salt and pepper
    ½ pint milk

Put the potato slices in layers in a buttered oven-proof dish or foil container, sprinkling each layer with salt and pepper.
    Pour in the milk, dot with butter.
    Bake in a preheated moderate oven (180C/350F/Gas 4) for 1 - 1½hrs or until the potatoes are soft.
    To Freeze: cool quickly, then cover with foil and pack in a freezer bag.
    Seal, label and freeze.
    To Thaw and serve: remove wrappings and thaw at room temp for 4hrs.
    Reheat in the oven ((190c/375F/Gas 5) for approx 30mins or until heated through.

Potato Croquettes
    (makes 16)

2lb potatoes, peeled and halved
    2oz butter
    1 egg, beaten
    1 Tbsp milk
    pepper and salt
    veg. oil for frying

For the coating:
    a little flour
    2 eggs, beaten
    2oz fresh white breadcrumbs

Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 15 - 20 minutes, until tender.
    Drain well, then mash with the butter and beat in the egg, milk and pepper to taste.
    Leave to cool.

Shape the mixture into 16 croquettes by rolling with floured hands.
    Dip the croquettes in the beaten eggs, then roll in the breadcrumbs.
    Chill in the freezer until firm.
    To Freeze: open freeze until firm, then pack in a rigid container, seperating each layer with foil.
    Seal, label and return to the freezer.
    To Thaw and Serve: remove from the container and thaw in the freezer for 2hrs.
    Deep-fry in the hot oil for 4-5 mins until golden brown, then drain well on paper towels and serve immediately.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Page 1
    • pol
    • By pol 29th May 05, 5:24 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    pol
    • 29th May 05, 5:24 PM
    • 29th May 05, 5:24 PM
    POTATO PANCAKES

300g mash
    2-3 tbsp milk
    2 eggs
    2 heaped tbsp SR flour
    salt, pepper

Put the eggs and milk in a bowl and whisk up. Add the mash, flour and seasoning. Whisk till fairly thick but still pourable. Cook in a hot frying pan with a little oil for a couple of minutes each side. Lovely for Sunday breakfast with a boiled egg. Freezes really well individually in greaseproof paper. Defrost and top with cheese and grill till melted.
    • elona
    • By elona 29th May 05, 6:54 PM
    • 11,150 Posts
    • 63,458 Thanks
    elona
    • 29th May 05, 6:54 PM
    • 29th May 05, 6:54 PM
    Potato scones

Mash potato with a little milk- add flour and mix together to a dough - roll out like pastry- cut out rounds or triangles etc - either oven bake or fry in pan!
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • mink35
    • 29th May 05, 7:04 PM
    • 29th May 05, 7:04 PM
    Does this mean I've got to leave my spuds to sprout before I can try any of these yummy recipes!
    Mink
  • pepsicola
    • 29th May 05, 7:14 PM
    • 29th May 05, 7:14 PM
    These recipes do sound delightful don't they.

I like to mix my spare mash with tinned tuna and fry for supper.
  • Queenie
    • 29th May 05, 9:02 PM
    • 29th May 05, 9:02 PM
    Does this mean I've got to leave my spuds to sprout before I can try any of these yummy recipes!
    by mink35
    Yes! But, we'll let you off
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • kirstyreanne
    • 7th Jun 05, 8:39 PM
    • 7th Jun 05, 8:39 PM
    Potato scones

Mash potato with a little milk- add flour and mix together to a dough - roll out like pastry- cut out rounds or triangles etc - either oven bake or fry in pan!
    by elona
    My nan showed me how to do this and it makes a lovely topping for a steak & kidney or a chicken & leek pie.

Mmmm mmmmm!!
  • bonnie
    • 7th Jun 05, 8:52 PM
    • 7th Jun 05, 8:52 PM
    i,ve always eated sprouting and green potatoes cut the bits out of course but that dr mckeith woman said they cause cancer or something is this true if i drop dead i will let you know my ghost will come back and haunt mse.
  • skysky69
    • 19th Mar 07, 6:28 PM
    Can you eat sprouting spuds?
    • 19th Mar 07, 6:28 PM
    Might sound like a daft question, but I thought I read somewhere about when they start sprouting you shouldn't eat them - they aren't poisonous or anything are they?

I have only bought a big bag of spuds from the farm shop a couple of weeks ago and they are sprouting already - can I just cut the sprouts off?
    • wishiwasarichgirl
    • By wishiwasarichgirl 19th Mar 07, 6:37 PM
    • 5,386 Posts
    • 6,335 Thanks
    wishiwasarichgirl
    never heard that before, and I grew up on a farm! I just break off the shoots and cook them as normal, hasn't killed me yet
    WigglyFB

• Lusignan
    Get rid of the sprouts and any green bits, and you should be fine.
    • twink
    • By twink 19th Mar 07, 6:41 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    yes you can eat them, just take the shoots off, try and keep them somewhere cool, its only the green bits you dont eat, thats caused by being exposed to the light
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    I think I read somwhere that you shouldn't eat them if you are pregnant though. I have exactly the same problem with the sack I bought from the farm shop only 10 days ago and they have been in my coal shed which is cold.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination

Oscar Wilde
    • twink
    • By twink 19th Mar 07, 7:10 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    dont think there is much you can do at this time of the year to stop them sprouting
  • chloejane
    the spuds should be fine just take the sprouting bits off, thats what i have always done even when i was pregnant!
  • ScoobieGirl
    From

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/naturaltoxins

All potatoes contain natural toxins called glycoalkaloids, usually at low
    levels. But higher levels of glycoalkaloids can be found in green parts of
    potatoes, sprouted potatoes and potatoes stored in light. Severe
    glycoalkaloid poisoning is very rare, but it's important to store potatoes in a
    dark, cool and dry place and not to eat green or sprouting parts. If you've
    removed the green parts and the potatoes still taste bitter, don't eat them.
    Last edited by ScoobieGirl; 19-03-2007 at 9:04 PM.

• CCStar
    • By CCStar 19th Mar 07, 7:45 PM
    • 6,569 Posts
    • 15,552 Thanks
    CCStar
    I cut off the sprouts and don't buy green ones
    An average day in my life
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
  • southern chick
    i keep potatoes in a cupboard but they always start to sprout after a few days, there must be a heater and light in there that i don't know about!! i always just take the sprouting nits off and they are fine
    120 NSD in 2010 ----- 1/120
    Grocery Challenge of £80 a month ------ 40/80
    I pledge that in 2010 I will not spend any un-necessary money!!
    • prettypennies
    • By prettypennies 19th Mar 07, 8:46 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 10,175 Thanks
    prettypennies
    I buy organic so they have a tendancy to sprout quickly. As the other posters have said sprouters are ok greens are a no no.

Storing them in a sack with an apple in is supposed to slow down the sprouting process.
    Twins, twice the laughs, twice the fun, twice the mess!
  • flufff
    I couldnt stand the small of mash when I was carrying my youngest it used to make me gag chronically!
    Suprisingly he likes potatoes though so thats lucky!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,521Posts Today

6,895Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin