Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 25th Oct 12, 9:12 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: UK escapes recession
    • 25th Oct 12, 9:12 AM
    MSE News: UK escapes recession 25th Oct 12 at 9:12 AM
    "The UK climbed out of the double-dip recession with a bang between July and September as the economy returned to growth..."

Read the full story:

UK escapes recession

Page 1
  • andy.m
    • 25th Oct 12, 9:31 AM
    • 25th Oct 12, 9:31 AM
    Well done everyone, give yourselves a big pat on the back.

Oh wait...
  • Wywth
    • 25th Oct 12, 9:58 AM
    • 25th Oct 12, 9:58 AM
    Yippee!

I'm now gonna spend, spend, spend.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 25th Oct 12, 10:00 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 25th Oct 12, 10:00 AM
    • 25th Oct 12, 10:00 AM
    "services sector"?

You mean banks and insurance company, and hotels who overcharged Olympic tourists.

We know they will keep overcharging for mortgages and insurance, so we are SAVED!
    • somethingcorporate
    • By somethingcorporate 25th Oct 12, 10:08 AM
    • 9,119 Posts
    • 8,806 Thanks
    somethingcorporate
    • 25th Oct 12, 10:08 AM
    • 25th Oct 12, 10:08 AM
    A completely meaningless measure to the average man or lady on the street.

All it means is we are more likely to (technically) hit a triple-dip recession. Again, this will have almost no impact on the average person.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
    • dr_adidas01
    • By dr_adidas01 25th Oct 12, 10:17 AM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    dr_adidas01
    • 25th Oct 12, 10:17 AM
    • 25th Oct 12, 10:17 AM
    As everyone says totally pointless the only reason it recovered slightly was because in those months mentioned. It was the Queens Diamond Jubilee and the Olympics, all it did was bring extra tourism to London and other venues.

Which = over extortionate prices on everything as they knew once you were inside the venues you had to pay the prices for food and drinks and sunderies. As you were checked before you went into venues for food items!!!
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both.
  • BugsyBrowne
    • 25th Oct 12, 11:27 AM
    • 25th Oct 12, 11:27 AM
    An end to immigration I would prefer TBH.
    • dr_adidas01
    • By dr_adidas01 25th Oct 12, 12:01 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    dr_adidas01
    • 25th Oct 12, 12:01 PM
    • 25th Oct 12, 12:01 PM
    Originally posted by BugsyBrowne
    Amen to that!!
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 25th Oct 12, 12:04 PM
    • 11,848 Posts
    • 11,390 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    • 25th Oct 12, 12:04 PM
    • 25th Oct 12, 12:04 PM
    Gross domestic product (GDP) – a broad measure for the total economy – grew 1% in the third quarter of the year, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) says, ending three consecutive quarters of declining output.

City experts had expected a rise of 0.6%. The actual figure is the biggest increase since the third quarter of 2007.
    Should that be 1.0%? Otherwise it just looks to me like they hit their target!
    </pedanticmode>
    • zerog
    • By zerog 25th Oct 12, 6:53 PM
    • 2,416 Posts
    • 849 Thanks
    zerog
    Why? Immigrants help the economy and are not entitled to any benefits, at least anyone who is coming in nowadays. They also raise your house price, which people on here seem to like even though it means young people have to stay with their parents for longer.
    • dr_adidas01
    • By dr_adidas01 25th Oct 12, 7:04 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    dr_adidas01
    Why? Immigrants help the economy and are not entitled to any benefits, at least anyone who is coming in nowadays. They also raise your house price, which people on here seem to like even though it means young people have to stay with their parents for longer.
    Originally posted by zerog
    Why do immigrants help the economy? They do get benefits despite what you think. How do they raise house prices?
  • BugsyBrowne
    Originally posted by zerog
    Help the economy yeah right the gorvernment like to express this view as cover but its generally a fact that this country is full up and by 2020 they'll be more britains out of work because of us staying in the EU FACT....
  • innovate
    Why do immigrants help the economy? They do get benefits despite what you think. How do they raise house prices?
    Originally posted by dr_adidas01
    Immigrants need food, clothes, houses, cars, to mention but a few basics. I.e. they spend money. Anybody who spends money in the UK helps the UK economy. They will spend money in the UK, probably more than a UK benefits recipient, simply on the grounds that they have more dispensable income than a benefits recipient. Immigrants add to the demand on housing, demand raises prices if there is no oversupply. Not sure where you live, but here down south, there is a constant shortage of houses.

95% of our local taxi drivers seem to be Romanians ever since Romania joined the EU. They operate as a franchise to the 3 or 4 main local taxi firms - they own their car, they are always smartly dressed, their cars are always immaculate inside and out, they are incredibly polite, considerate and helpful, they don't roll out of the pub/club legless every Friday and Saturday, they don't beat up rival football fans, they don't claim benefits, they just pay their bills and their taxes, and otherwise mind their own business. I.e. they are just good citizens. Wish more Brits were like those Romanians.

Oh, and I sometimes can't understand what 'those immigrants' are saying. Then I find out they are 7th generation Glaswegians or some other Celts.

BTW, has anyone ever sat back and looked at their ancestry? Whose family roots are definitely 'indigenous'? What is 'indigenous' when it comes to the UK? What does it matter, anyway, where your family roots are if you are a fully functioning part of the society you live in?

Do you also prefer an end to emmigration? I am sure the UK could completely stop immigration, in a world where it would be impossible for a UK citizen to settle in (/retire in) say, France or Spain or Croatia or Tuscany or Greece or Cyprus or Malta or Mallorca or anywhere else in the world.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,813Posts Today

6,338Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The maths is wrong. Even if MPs weren't given a penny by the state in salary or expenses, it'd save a trivial count? https://t.co/Kgskcjd6eG

• What an utterly depressing watch this is. I think the MP handles it as well as possible. Good on him for not just t? https://t.co/LrSY56HbPA

• RT @Caitch22: @MartinSLewis Maybe the cheap housing, final salary scheme generation that want to tax the young should pay for their own car?

• Follow Martin