Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • gizfizz
    • 23rd Oct 12, 8:30 PM
    • 23rd Oct 12, 8:30 PM
    Not a physical shop, but Avon gives a 90 day guarantee. So you can return your purchase even if you've tried it - not many shops give you that long!

• clairmelville
    • By clairmelville 23rd Oct 12, 10:44 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    clairmelville
    • 23rd Oct 12, 10:44 PM
    Shcuh
    • 23rd Oct 12, 10:44 PM
    Schuh (think I spelt it correctly) give a 365 day return. Took some boots back recently just said I changed my mind and they gave me my money back once they looked at the bottom of the shoes to see I'd not worn them outside.
  • Governor
    • 24th Oct 12, 12:12 AM
    Receipt in the bag, Madam? No!
    • 24th Oct 12, 12:12 AM
    Lots of shops always want to put the goods receipt in the bag with the goods. This means that there's a good chance you'll ditch the receipt along with the carrier bag. ALWAYS insist on putting the receipt in your purse / wallet so that you have it safely should you need to return the goods. It's even worth having an old shoe box at home to shove receipts in - no filing skills required!
    • allotment51
    • By allotment51 24th Oct 12, 7:49 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    allotment51
    • 24th Oct 12, 7:49 AM
    • 24th Oct 12, 7:49 AM
    Lakeland

Best shop EVER for goods and customer service. Never a question regarding returns - which because of the excellent quality of the goods is very rare.
    • N.I.M
    • By N.I.M 24th Oct 12, 9:58 AM
    • 2,248 Posts
    • 7,050 Thanks
    N.I.M
    • 24th Oct 12, 9:58 AM
    • 24th Oct 12, 9:58 AM
    B&Q, you must have the receipt, no matter what. Staff member got quite agressive when I suggested an alternative proof of purchase, which I found odd given it was a B&Q own brand item.
    This was 6 months out of date so I've changed it.
    • matty_art
    • By matty_art 24th Oct 12, 11:15 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    matty_art
    • 24th Oct 12, 11:15 AM
    • 24th Oct 12, 11:15 AM
    Sports Direct is atrocious. I changed to return a shirt which had a mark which I didn't notice when purchasing 2 days previously, and they firstly denied it was marked, when I insisted on them comparing with a another in the shelf to prove it marked, they then accused me of marking it myself deliberately, and to add insult to injury, accused me in front of other customers of lying and of having worn it (not that it should even matter) because "smelt like it had been worn" (I had worn it to try it on only).

The whole incident was quite upsetting, and a letter of complaint to Head Office got a muted response; I eventually managed to resolve in another store but I have avoided them like the plague ever since, as they may be cheap but they have a total disregard for their customers; they will try as hard as possible to avoid their statutory duties let alone accepting any return, which is totally against policy.
    • linda1955
    • By linda1955 24th Oct 12, 11:18 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    linda1955
    • 24th Oct 12, 11:18 AM
    Comet - avoid like the plague
    • 24th Oct 12, 11:18 AM
    Comet online will not even refund/replace an item that is faulty. I bought a freezer which frosted up within hours of switching on. I reported the fault within a week but Comet simply referred me to the manufacturer, stating that they 'do not have the contracts to deal with faulty items' (whatever that means!). They would not budge, despite me quoting the Sale of Goods Act at them. The call centre advisors would not put me through to a manager and the managers never returned my calls. I also sent numerous emails which went unanswered. In desperation I eventually contacted the manufacturer to arrange a repair (for which I had to take a day off work unpaid). As I expected, the 'repair' made no difference. I informed the manufacturer and they persuaded Comet to send a replacement freezer. The replacement is fine, but it took me 3 months to get it! I am astounded that Comet treats their customers with such contempt.
  • christmas bells
    • 24th Oct 12, 11:36 AM
    • 24th Oct 12, 11:36 AM
    I rarely shop in Morrisons any more since buying a goats cheese with gelatine in. I took the cheese straight back but they refused to exchange or refund. I explained very politely that I'm vegetarian and she repeated that it isn't their policy to have chilled returns. I could have been longer in one of their queues than the time it took me to get home and come back!
  • Bluedilemma
    John Lewis don't have a time limit on refunds and with a receipt items can be returned at any time. Without a receipt items can still be returned at the decision of the sales assistant and gift vouchers for the current value will be offered. Having worked at John Lewis I know that pretty much anything can be returned, and if the sales assistant isn't allowing a return and you believe you should be able to return ask for a manger and the odds are you will ge what you want.
  • rojanich
    I'll second the votes for Lakeland and Avon. Also, Lakeland's staff seem to be a cut above the rest; knowledgeable, friendly and efficient.
    • Patr100
    • By Patr100 24th Oct 12, 12:42 PM
    • 1,356 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    Patr100
    On the High St, I've found Argos fine for quick returns or change of mind though some items are of course excluded.

I remember returning a chopping board to Selfridges which clearly was not fit for purpose (having already spoken to the manufacturers) and the assistant eventually reluctantly exchanging it as a so called "good will" gesture.
    Erm... Sale of Goods Act ain't based on good will and the whim of an assistant..
    Last edited by Patr100; 24-10-2012 at 12:49 PM.
    ---I Shop Therefore I Am ---
    • Arthog
    • By Arthog 24th Oct 12, 1:09 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    Arthog
    I've found Figleaves and Land's End to be excellent in dealing with returns. Land's End offer a lifetime guarantee on their clothes, and will even refurbish an old, favourite item!

Has anyone got a word for a situation I sometimes find myself in - when it would cost more to return the item than it cost? (Come on Martin, you love new words!)
    It applied to a 7Kg bag of potatoes I bought from T___o recently. The quality was truly terrible but the store is 6 miles away.
  • Rach1982
    Morisons
    Well I must have had a right result with Morisons then. I bought a set of knives for 45, used my "5 off on 40 spend" voucher. Then decided I didn't like the knives, so I took them back & asked if I could have my voucher back so I could use it on my shopping. They were unable to do this but as a "goodwill gesture" they refunded another 5 back on to my debit card! (To be fair I'm a good customer as i shop in there on a regular basis!) what a result!!!
    • AfroKinky1
    • By AfroKinky1 24th Oct 12, 2:15 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    AfroKinky1
    With food from supermarkets, the product has to have something wrong with it in order for a refund. Morrisons eventually refunded the cost of a bag of vile tasting petis pois. This was given after the Manager got involved.
  • Kay.Samuels
    I too have had a bad returns experiences with Comet (a fridge freezer) and found the same unhelpful call centres a problem. In the end I went into the store and complained loudly on the shop floor.

Also B+Q - they were hostile, unhelpful , patronising and downright rude, despite the fact I had already told them I wanted to return the faulty lawnmower THEN BUY A MORE EXPENSIVE ONE. [shock] They won't be getting any of my money any time soon!

The other day I returned a blouse to Tesco that had shrank and they were fine, and also I wanted an item refunding that had been scanned in twice. They refunded double the amount!
    It is only a bargain if you need it!
  • Lesm
    The Lakeland guarantee is probably the simplest guarantee in the world! If you are not satisfied at any time, you receive your money back! This is their promise.

QVC is the same but limited to 30 days.
    Except around Christmas when it is extended to 30 days after Christmas.

I find if you smile and ask for help returns are easier especially if you take care with opening and resealing.
    If it looks like it was never opened you rarely have trouble.
    I also keep boxes at least a month.

Les
    • springchicken
    • By springchicken 24th Oct 12, 7:00 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    springchicken
    Qvc
    Qvc (online shopping channel) are amazing with their returns. Everything has a 30 day money back guarantee so you can try expensive moisturisers , makeup etc for up to 30 days and then send it back ! Really good no quibble customer service too.
    Moneysaving? - I cant stop spending because of this site!
  • k10
    Bought a shirt for my husband from Hurley - designer clothes shops in the north west - for father's day. Although the shirt was the correct size - medium, it was too fitted. Returned it within a week but they would only give vouchers.

Will never shop there ever again!!!!
    • petunia100
    • By petunia100 24th Oct 12, 8:20 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    petunia100
    I bought a couple of items on line from Sports Direct that didn't fit. I took them to my local shop to exchange but they didn't have the size I wanted. They would not give me a refund or a credit note. They said they would exchange for something else but there was nothing that was suitable. Returning them by post would not have been worth it, so I still have them and will try to sell them on ebay.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,151Posts Today

7,568Users online

Martin's Twitter