Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 12th Oct 12, 3:29 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Wizz Air to charge for hand luggage
    • 12th Oct 12, 3:29 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Wizz Air to charge for hand luggage 12th Oct 12 at 3:29 PM
    "Passengers travelling with Wizz Air Hungary will soon have to pay £9 to take large hand luggage ..."

Page 1
  • shaunskankdog
    • 12th Oct 12, 4:19 PM
    • 12th Oct 12, 4:19 PM
    "Passengers travelling with Wizz Air Hungary will soon have to pay £9 to take large hand luggage ..."

Originally posted by MSE Helen
    I booked a flight with Ryanair for £0.06p (but £credit charge) Warsaw to Budapest....then Wizz for the return leg, and they did mention it in the email...I will just scrunch my bag up and shove everything in my big thick wintry jacket with many pockets
    • N1AK
    • By N1AK 12th Oct 12, 9:17 PM
    • 2,847 Posts
    • 3,793 Thanks
    N1AK
    • 12th Oct 12, 9:17 PM
    • 12th Oct 12, 9:17 PM
    The dimensions are roughly in line with Ryanairs (not that that is much defence) and as they point out it is to discourage the constant flow of over-sized hand luggage people try to get through via the current system.

If they are genuinely dropping prices for people with small bags then this makes it more affordable for people travelling for short breaks, work or back home who don't need more luggage.
    Having a signature removed for mentioning the removal of a previous signature. Blackwhite bellyfeel double plus good...
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 12th Oct 12, 10:37 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 12th Oct 12, 10:37 PM
    • 12th Oct 12, 10:37 PM
    If check-in luggage was free, like in the last century......

The next step is obviously going to be weighing in the customer, and charge by the kg.

Pre-flight liposuction, the next booming industry.
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 12th Oct 12, 10:58 PM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 4,438 Thanks
    Mobeer
    • 12th Oct 12, 10:58 PM
    • 12th Oct 12, 10:58 PM
    I for one am tired of people carrying what are basically suitcases as carry on luggage. It's just unrealistic to think everyone can carry a suitcase onto the plane and except all their luggage to fit in the overhead lockers.

Good for Wizz Air for introducing this charge. Now introduce free checked bags too.
    • missile
    • By missile 13th Oct 12, 5:26 AM
    • 10,035 Posts
    • 5,103 Thanks
    missile
    • 13th Oct 12, 5:26 AM
    • 13th Oct 12, 5:26 AM
    I for one am tired of people carrying what are basically suitcases as carry on luggage. .
    Originally posted by Mobeer
    +1 .......... me too
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • KTF
    • By KTF 13th Oct 12, 7:48 AM
    • 4,725 Posts
    • 1,939 Thanks
    KTF
    • 13th Oct 12, 7:48 AM
    • 13th Oct 12, 7:48 AM
    As usual with the MSE 'news' stories, the headline is misleading.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Oct 12, 8:18 AM
    • 22,465 Posts
    • 60,707 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 13th Oct 12, 8:18 AM
    • 13th Oct 12, 8:18 AM
    Thread already going about this:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4066653
    • NFH
    • By NFH 13th Oct 12, 9:11 AM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    • 13th Oct 12, 9:11 AM
    • 13th Oct 12, 9:11 AM
    We need some new EU-wide legislation to prevent airlines from excluding from the advertised price any surcharges that are unavoidable for the typical passenger, e.g. cabin baggage, going to the loo, checking in, drinking water, children sitting with their parents, and paying by debit card (soon to be outlawed anyway). Budget airlines don't seem to give up on ways to make their headline fares look lower than reality by excluding unavoidable or near-unavoidable charges.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 13th Oct 12, 10:17 AM
    • 18,959 Posts
    • 8,002 Thanks
    richardw
    We need some new EU-wide legislation to prevent airlines from excluding from the advertised price any surcharges that are unavoidable for the typical passenger.
    Originally posted by NFH
    The legislation would need to define a typical passenger, so what is one then?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Oct 12, 10:43 AM
    • 22,465 Posts
    • 60,707 Thanks
    Pollycat
    The legislation would need to define a typical passenger, so what is one then?
    Originally posted by richardw
    Below in bold are bad examples.
    the typical passenger, e.g. cabin baggage, going to the loo, checking in, drinking water, children sitting with their parents, and paying by debit card (soon to be outlawed anyway).
    Originally posted by NFH
    Not everyone wants to take cabin baggage so why should my flight cost be inflated so that those passengers who do want to take it can benefit?

As I don't have children why should my flight cost be inflated so that those passengers who want to make sure they are sat with their kids can benefit?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 13th Oct 12, 10:58 AM
    • 18,959 Posts
    • 8,002 Thanks
    richardw
    I'm saying that there really isn't a 'typical' passenger.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Oct 12, 11:16 AM
    • 22,465 Posts
    • 60,707 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'm saying that there really isn't a 'typical' passenger.
    Originally posted by richardw
    I know, and I was agreeing with you - although it might not have been clear from my post.
    • NFH
    • By NFH 13th Oct 12, 11:42 AM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    Not everyone wants to take cabin baggage so why should my flight cost be inflated so that those passengers who do want to take it can benefit?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    There is no significant cost to the airline of standard sized cabin baggage vs a smaller bag. The charge is only a means of advertising lower headline fares than what the typical passenger is likely to pay.
    • redux
    • By redux 13th Oct 12, 11:48 AM
    • 19,097 Posts
    • 25,960 Thanks
    redux
    I've flown a couple of times using a laptop bag, and fitted in 3 or 4 days clothes, including spare trousers and waterproof jacket.

This is great, because it fits between my calves and my own seat, leaving foot room under the seat in front.

I just measured it. It's about 5 mm too big for one of Wizzair's size definitions, though their web page is ambiguous by defining 2 different sizes for free hand baggage.

42 x 32 x 25 free
    56 x 45 x 25 €10
    55 x 40 x 20 free

???
    Last edited by redux; 13-10-2012 at 11:57 AM.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 13th Oct 12, 12:05 PM
    • 18,959 Posts
    • 8,002 Thanks
    richardw
    BTW there's http://www.wizzairsucks.com/
  • BigRonW
    My local airport (Bristol Lulsgate) sells what seem to be Australian designed(?) waistcoats with several capacious pockets - a bit like a "fishing jacket", but with MUCH bigger pockets. The intent seems to be to circumvent luggage allowances, by transferring a substantial proportion of your gear into your pockets. True, you'd wind up looking obscenely overweight... but you only need to "wear" your pseudo-luggage for a brief and specific tiime; when your near-empty handluggage has been measured, weighed and found acceptable, you can transfer the junk from your pockets into your bags. My initial response was "What a good idea!"... followed closely by "But what a ridiculous price!"

I already own a couple or so fishing-style waistcoats (two canvas, one pigskin which I bought in Poland) and even the pigskin one cost rather less than the airport shop was asking. (Which was just under £40) You could probbably get a far better price for a similar garment from a clothing stand at your local market.
    Last edited by BigRonW; 13-10-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Spotted a typo
  • Narc
    I'm sure the "excessive number of bags carried onboard" is nothing to do with their hold baggage charge policy...
  • Wywth
    Martin Lewis, MoneySavingExpert.com creator, says: "I've always considered checked baggage to be one of the fairer budget airline added 'extras'.

"Yet hand luggage isn't an optional extra.
    Martin, I think you should start up your own airline and show these guys how it's done.

If you do, I'll be sure to bring my essential 50kg trunk onboard as hand luggage every flight

Remember, hand luggage up to 42 x 32 x 25cm is still free with Wizz Air. Surely that's big enough to get the essentials required for any flight duration in?
    • NFH
    • By NFH 13th Oct 12, 4:23 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    Remember, hand luggage up to 42 x 32 x 25cm is still free with Wizz Air. Surely that's big enough to get the essentials required for any flight duration in?
    Originally posted by Wywth
    It's not just essentials for the flight duration but also essentials you need at your destination. Most people don't want to check in baggage unnecessarily as it wastes time at the destination airport and in many cases attracts additional charges.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

279Posts Today

3,043Users online

Martin's Twitter