Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 5th Oct 12, 2:40 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Co-op, Halifax and Lloyds customers hit by banking chaos
    • 5th Oct 12, 2:40 PM
    MSE News: Co-op, Halifax and Lloyds customers hit by banking chaos 5th Oct 12 at 2:40 PM
    "Many bank customers are unable to access their cash or account information this afternoon ..."

Page 1
    • mazman83
    • By mazman83 5th Oct 12, 2:48 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    mazman83
    • 5th Oct 12, 2:48 PM
    • 5th Oct 12, 2:48 PM
    Went to check my balance at the atm for my coop account and it was declined.

Same goes for online and iphone app. Haven't tried using my debit card to buy anything today but I hope I this get's fixed soon
    BSC Member 351
  • yorkiepudd
    • 5th Oct 12, 2:50 PM
    • 5th Oct 12, 2:50 PM
    "Many bank customers are unable to access their cash or account information this afternoon ..."

Originally posted by MSE Guy
    Went to the shops earlier. Co-op debit card declined (even though my wages were in this morning when I checked). Tried atm but no services available. Got worried when Nat West machine said my card had been DECLINED (rather than service unavailable).

Went to Post Office, same again, declined. Tried to access my account online via my phone, no joy, so I rang the CS line (from my mobile ) went through the authorisation sequence only to receive a message at the end saying all services were offline, please try later !!! (not given option to speak to anyone )

2 hours later and the co-op service status still says nothing, although internet banking does say it's not available at the mo.

Worst thing is our other account is with the Halifax, so hope we can get some money for the weekend
  • Mockingjay
    • 5th Oct 12, 2:57 PM
    • 5th Oct 12, 2:57 PM
    Spent an hour getting my weekly shop in tesco & card was declined at the till. Thoroughly humiliating! Couldn't get money out at the cash point & their call centre is 'not currently working'.

As I didn't have another card I had to leave my shopping & drive home with nothing
    CC1 - 8746 2801 71%
    LBM September 2012 - Current DFD Oct 14
    • mazman83
    • By mazman83 5th Oct 12, 2:59 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    mazman83
    • 5th Oct 12, 2:59 PM
    • 5th Oct 12, 2:59 PM
    Just out of curiosity I tried texting for my balance and I got this reply back.

We are sorry but this service is currently unavailable; please try again later. Alternatively you can use the internet or a cash machineCo-op Bank
    I had to laugh really
    BSC Member 351
    • pete_v
    • By pete_v 5th Oct 12, 3:04 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    pete_v
    • 5th Oct 12, 3:04 PM
    • 5th Oct 12, 3:04 PM
    Halifax online banking logs in ok, but has no actual statement information. Just a message saying "Sorry, but this account information isn't available right now. Please try again later."

Glad I keep 200 backup cash under a brick in my house...

Pete
  • yorkiepudd
    • 5th Oct 12, 3:09 PM
    • 5th Oct 12, 3:09 PM
    later."

Glad I keep 200 backup cash under a brick in my house...

Pete
    Originally posted by pete_v
    Wish I had a brick like that lol.

As it's our 1st pay day after all the monthly payments have gone out we are down to the contents of the kids money boxes if we can't get any money tonight

At least I have fuel in the car for work in the morning
  • innovate
    • 5th Oct 12, 3:21 PM
    • 5th Oct 12, 3:21 PM
    After the Natwest/RBS meltdown earlier this year, it is soul-destroying to see that some people still have all their eggs in one basket - - - i.e. still rely on a single bank for money.

IT problems and system outages can always occur. If such incidents just cause inconvenience, people can cope somehow. But if people are left without food or other essentials because they can't pay even though they have the funds, that's critical.

MSE, and Martin Lewis personally, should campaign to their subscribers/readers that everybody should have at least one credit card, even one with a low limit, alongside their bank account and credit card. Ideally, having more than one current account with unrelated banks is also desirable - though I appreciate this may not be possible for everybody.
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 5th Oct 12, 3:25 PM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    • 5th Oct 12, 3:25 PM
    • 5th Oct 12, 3:25 PM
    I've banked with the Co-op since before time began, and can't remember a time when I've noticed a problem like this affect me, being unable to access my money.

I'm of an age where I can remember going to my local post office or co-op handybank (a little counter somewhere inside a co-op food shop) to cash a cheque - an old fashioned but effective manual system of getting at my money.

If the credit card system went down in shops, manual card processing would take place (remember those little carbon-paper receipts anyone?).

Has the notion of any kind of manual back up system completely left us? When the computer says no are we just stuffed?

Mistakes will happen and systems will fail. Manual backup worked well in the past. Some method should be reinstated.

Having all of my banking with the Co-op has never been a problem in the past. If the notion of manual backup has been eradicated , then sadly innovate is right, the backup method is now down to the individual to have a back up account of some sort.

Although, I thought Co-op and Halifax/Lloyds were different systems - is it just coincidence that they have both failed at the same time? Not much point in a back up if the back up fails at the same time.
    • pete_v
    • By pete_v 5th Oct 12, 3:29 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    pete_v
    I'll be very interested to hear what caused this one. Current and former Natwest technical folk on The Register's site managed to piece together what happened in that case; I hope the same happens here.

(The companies involved will never tell us, of course. They never do.)

Pete
  • yorkiepudd
    After the Natwest/RBS meltdown earlier this year, it is soul-destroying to see that some people still have all their eggs in one basket - - - i.e. still rely on a single bank for money.
    Originally posted by innovate
    Exactly why we have 2 seperate accounts. 1 with the Co-op and 1 with, errrr the Halifax. Damn, both of them don't work
  • ~*Plushroom*~
    I've been trying to get money out since 2pm without luck and am hugely annoyed at the lack of info on the Halifax website, I shouldn't have to spend 20 minutes on the phone on hold to find out that their computers that deal with the bank balances are down and they are working to get it fixed - that should be on the front pages of the banks involved as soon as they realise the extent of it.

I'm supposed to be going to a big convention tomorrow in London, but it's looking like that won't be happening if they don't get their backsides in gear, or getting to work either. They should bring back chequebooks with all bank accounts so that we can still make payments whilst they sort out things like this - the move to everything being on plastic just isn't safe enough and people can't be expected to have to get a credit card that they either don't want or really shouldn't have for safety.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 1/Official 'Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)' Member 18
    "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free." Bill Hicks
    TRUE BLOOD FANGIRLS #4
    Wouldn't You Like To Be A Plushroom Too?
    • mazman83
    • By mazman83 5th Oct 12, 3:32 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    mazman83
    All my income goes into my coop account but I transfer enough money for outgoings onto 3 different prepaid cards so I at least have something to fall back on.
    BSC Member 351
  • Mockingjay
    Exactly why we have 2 seperate accounts. 1 with the Co-op and 1 with, errrr the Halifax. Damn, both of them don't work
    Originally posted by yorkiepudd
    Me too! Current accounts on both!
    CC1 - 8746 2801 71%
    LBM September 2012 - Current DFD Oct 14
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 5th Oct 12, 3:43 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    It isn't just the ATMs that are affected. I know for a fact that Asda and Sainsbury card machines all failed and cards were being declined. A lot of people just dumped their shopping and walked off, luckily I had drawn out my usual monthly housekeeping this morning.
    I do not trust banks and every month I pull out every penny that is not needed for mortgage or direct debits, plus a float.
    I pay cash for everything that I possibly can too.
    This is the second banking crash this year and I would advise OPs to do the same as I do.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
    • mazman83
    • By mazman83 5th Oct 12, 3:46 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    mazman83
    Just managed to log on to coop internet banking and all balances show up.

Hope that debit transactions are now fixed too.
    BSC Member 351
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 5th Oct 12, 3:47 PM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    Co-op Bank are reporting the issue fixed and all systems back up and running as of 4:35pm this afternoon. They tweeted...

Hi all, just to let you know that our systems are fixed and customers should now be able to use their accounts as normal...
    by Co-op Banking Group Twitter @CoopBankPR
    • KTF
    • By KTF 5th Oct 12, 3:50 PM
    • 4,726 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    KTF
    I wonder if this was a backend change related to the Lloyds branch sale to the Coop.
  • ~*Plushroom*~
    Just got off the phone with Halifax again, systems are coming back online and we should be able to access cash from ATMs shortly. They can't say it will be all ATMs but they are starting to work again, will head out in 30 minutes and give a couple a try and report back if no official announcement has been made by then.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 1/Official 'Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)' Member 18
    "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free." Bill Hicks
    TRUE BLOOD FANGIRLS #4
    Wouldn't You Like To Be A Plushroom Too?
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 5th Oct 12, 3:53 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    jobdone1
    whats the saying

ahh yes ,

HALIFAX ALWAYS GIVING YOU EXTRA !!!!!!!

But only when we feel like it !!!!! lol
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

277Posts Today

4,434Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin