Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Lucie
    • 27th May 05, 12:17 PM
    • 27th May 05, 12:17 PM
    Yes, I've baked them in the oven before & they still come out well. Give them a tiny drizzle of oil before you put them in. Works best if you put them on the grill pan or some sort of rack so you don't get soggy bottoms
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 27th May 05, 12:30 PM
    • 6,923 Posts
    • 45,281 Thanks
    Pooky
    • 27th May 05, 12:30 PM
    • 27th May 05, 12:30 PM
    So all these years I should have been sitting on a wire rack to save the soggy bottom syndrome....wish someone would've said!!! :rolleyes:
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • kabie
    • 27th May 05, 1:35 PM
    • 27th May 05, 1:35 PM
    thanks lucie. The last thing I want is a soggy bottom!
  • ravenlooney
    • 27th May 05, 9:14 PM
    • 27th May 05, 9:14 PM
    I just turn my nuggets over halfway through cooking in the oven to save them going soggy. BTW, my veggie daughter loves quorn pieces done as chicken nuggets too.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 27th May 05, 9:26 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 27th May 05, 9:26 PM
    • 27th May 05, 9:26 PM
    Frying is fine as long as you have the oil hot enough - then it seals the food instantly. Its only when the oil isnt hot enough that you get too much fat in the food, as it will get a chance to soak in.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 27th May 05, 10:24 PM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    • 27th May 05, 10:24 PM
    • 27th May 05, 10:24 PM
    thanks lucie. The last thing I want is a soggy bottom!
    by kabie
    Not as bad as a saggy bottom though
  • kabie
    • 28th May 05, 6:10 PM
    • 28th May 05, 6:10 PM
    I forgot to drizzle some oil over them so they were a little dry but the kids loved them anyhow. Think I've already got the saggy bottom!
  • black-saturn
    • 22nd Nov 05, 4:29 PM
    Chicken Nuggets
    • 22nd Nov 05, 4:29 PM
    Can anyone tell me how you make chciken nuggets out of some left over chicken I have? I have looked in the index and I'm sure it must be there but I can't find it.

Thanks
  • black-saturn
    That was just the thing I was looking for thanks.
    • troll35
    • By troll35 22nd Nov 05, 9:45 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    troll35
    My recipe for nuggets is -
    1. Take some fresh chicken breast wash it and pat it dry with kitchen towel. Cut it into appropriately sized chunks - nuggets, goujons (how posh do you want to be?).
    2. Beat an egg in a dish.
    3. Put a handful of cornflakes in a bag and bash them with a rolling pin until they are fine crumbs (anger management?) and put them in another bowl. At this point you can add some breadcrumbs if you wish (fresh or shop bought)
    4. Dip the chicken pieces in egg and then roll in the cornflake/breadcrumbs.
    5. Place on a lightly greased baking tray and cook at approx 180C for 20 to 25 minutes turning them over after 10 mins. Ensure they are cooked through by sticking in a knife to see if the juices run clear.

I can see no reason why you couldn't use cooked chicken and adjusting the cooking time down. I also make 'NAKED NUGGETS' which the kids think are fab (cos I say naked he he he!!) which are chunks of chicken breast cooked in my steamer along with the veg.
    • MJay
    • By MJay 11th Jan 06, 2:42 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    MJay
    Better, cheaper and healthier that McD's (HM chicken nuggets)
    Hope I am OK sending a recipe to theis board......
    I hated my grandchildren's love of processed chicken nuggets and I am staggered at the price in fast food outlets. I have tried out a few recipes and this is their favorite. I have found that this amount makes enough for two adults and two children but often make more as they always want seconds!! I buy the chicken in bulk when on special offer and freeze portions individually for several recipes. I think the nuggets would probably freeze well once the breadcrumbs are on but haven't tried this yet. Here goes:
    CHICKEN NUGGETS
    1. 1 or two eggs
    2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (Good shake add more if using two eggs)
    2. 2 fillet chicken breasts strip off the goujons then cut the rest into pieces (Make sure you keep the thickness of the chicken to ½ inch or more).
    N.B. If making for very young children, I mince the chicken in the food processer.
    3. Couple of slices of stale bread made into breadcrumbs in processor or grated.

I add all the following ingredients to the crumbs and give them a further ‘ziz’
    4. Grated Parmesan cheese
    5. Plus 3/4 tsp. paprika
    6. 3/4 tsp. garlic powder

Stir together eggs and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. In a plastic bag, add breadcrumbs mixed with 4/5/6. Add chicken pieces a few at a time and shake well to coat each piece. Place nuggets on a (greased with oil) greaseproof sheet in a single layer and bake at 450 degrees for 7 to 9 minutes or until no longer pink.

Hope this is useful to someone and I have broken any rules of this board

• ronankfan
    • By ronankfan 11th Jan 06, 2:46 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 1,869 Thanks
    ronankfan
    I do the same MJay my children actually prefer my HM ones to the various fast food places and i am very proud that they do. My eldest DD actually helps to make them and she loves it (getting all messy)!!!! lol

Liz
    • MJay
    • By MJay 11th Jan 06, 2:55 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    MJay
    Better, cheaper and healthier that McD's
    Yes Liz my grandchildren do too! I have made the nuggets with both my son and daughter and the three elder grandchildren. They adore cooking with me and I am keen for them to learn the benefits (both health and financial) of NOT living on ready processed food.... Mary
    • Alfietinker
    • By Alfietinker 11th Jan 06, 2:58 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    Alfietinker
    I'm not a kid but they sound yummy - I've just discovered how to make breadcrumbs and breaded my first ever fish the other day I think chicken nuggets are now on the menu!
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 11th Jan 06, 2:58 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Hiya

No rules broken, we have all sorts of recipes collected here. What I will do though, shortly, is change the title of this thread a bit to have "chicken nuggets" in it so that it will help people find the recipe when they want to look for it at some time in the future.

By all means have a read of our welcome sticky at the top of Old Style and have a good browse around
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 11th Jan 06, 3:19 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    I also make home made fish fingers now, using a similar recipe. Sometimes i will use a batter, sometimes breadcrumbs and my children love them!!! I feel much better about knowing exactly what is in my chicken nuggets and fish fingers.
    Catherine x
    • blue-kat
    • By blue-kat 12th Jan 06, 12:15 AM
    • 455 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    blue-kat
    a friend made some fantastic turkey nuggets, really enjoyed them at Xmas party.
    she dipped tesco turkey thigh pieces in a batter of gram flour ( chickpea flour) made with some Patak's paste to give it a bit of flavour. Then fried.

not sure of the batter recipe, or how gram flour behaves - will have to experiment as friend is too poorly to be handing out recipes ATM.
    -
    Katya
    • icecoolbabe
    • By icecoolbabe 2nd Jul 06, 2:23 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    icecoolbabe
    Does this refer to using pre-cooked chicken or raw?
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
    • Rachie B
    • By Rachie B 3rd Jul 06, 9:40 AM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 5,329 Thanks
    Rachie B
    i cook them from raw

and i always oven bake them ,giving them a spray of oil first
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,431Posts Today

7,810Users online

Martin's Twitter