Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lucym
    • By lucym 27th May 05, 9:26 AM
    • 409Posts
    • 488Thanks
    lucym
    Microwave defrosting
    • 27th May 05, 9:26 AM
    Microwave defrosting 27th May 05 at 9:26 AM
    With two teenagers in the house I donít always know who will be here for supper in time to allow for defrosting in the fridge. I have noticed that food feels warm after being defrosted in the microwave, is it still safe to eat? I donít want to use it for raw meat, just for portions of pie, lasagne and so on.

Thanks

Lucy
Page 1
  • Lillibet
    • 27th May 05, 9:31 AM
    • 27th May 05, 9:31 AM
    I believe microwaves defrost in exactly the same way that they re heat but just at a lower tempreature so they are, in part, slowly cooking the item. I don't think is is unsafe but really it is no diffrent to re-heating the item, either in the microwave or oven, from frozen. I don't know how this tallys with microwaves beign safe to defrost raw meat but apparently they are, although whenever I do it the meat comes out half cooked:rolleyes: don't think I have ever been ill from it?
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 27th May 05, 9:48 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 27th May 05, 9:48 AM
    • 27th May 05, 9:48 AM
    I only ever use the microwave to defrost raw meat if I'm cooking it immediately, otherwise the edges can overheat and start cooking before the centre has thawed properly, and I don't feel it is safe to leave raw meat sitting around too long in this state.

The idea is to give it short bursts with standing time in between to allow the heat/waves to penetrate the middle, which is basically what the defrost or low setting does anyway.

When thawing/re-heating cooked meals I always use the lower settings until the food is thoroughly defrosted, then up it to medium for 10 mins or so, stopping to stir it a couple of times, so it doesn't burn on the edges. Just make sure it's piping hot throughout
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 27th May 05, 9:56 AM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    • 27th May 05, 9:56 AM
    • 27th May 05, 9:56 AM
    i can't work the defrost thing on my microwave, every time i try and do something it ends up cooking

Needless to say the last time i used it was when i had a nice piece of steak but had forgotten to take it out of the freezer and thought 'i'll defrost it in the microwave'

the only thing i use it for now is cooking rice, and heating things like soup, beans peas etc.
  • lipidicman
    • 27th May 05, 10:05 AM
    • 27th May 05, 10:05 AM
    Small bursts and letting it sit is a good idea. The reason for this is that the microwaves operate with a wavelength that corresponds to the resonant frequency of a vibration of a water molecule. Microwaves heat water. This frequency is different for ice and so microwaves are less effective at heating ice. The effect is that the bits that defrost then absorb the energy and cook before the bits that are still frozen can go on to defrost. These are 'hot spots'

I use defrost for things like frozen curry and spagbol. I have often wondered about putting in straight on high. But the lower power does seem to let the energy spread throughout the food and reduce the 'hot spot' effect. It is certainly less hassle than starting and stopping. I tend to go for 5 mins, then I turn the block over, then 5 more mins, then break it up (this really helps) and give it a bit longer.

I also wouldnt use it for meat, unless I was about to cook it. But it is better than putting a half defrosted chicken breast in the oven, the bit that is still frozen takes much longer to cook and you either have a tough bit, or give yourself food poisoning!
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 27th May 05, 10:23 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 27th May 05, 10:23 AM
    • 27th May 05, 10:23 AM
    Small bursts and letting it sit is a good idea. The reason for this is that the microwaves operate with a wavelength that corresponds to the resonant frequency of a vibration of a water molecule. Microwaves heat water. This frequency is different for ice and so microwaves are less effective at heating ice. The effect is that the bits that defrost then absorb the energy and cook before the bits that are still frozen can go on to defrost. These are 'hot spots'
    by lipidicman

You've nicely managed to explain what I was referring to above (physics never was my strong point )
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• lucym
    • By lucym 27th May 05, 12:12 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    lucym
    • 27th May 05, 12:12 PM
    • 27th May 05, 12:12 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. I feel a bit more confident about using it now.

At least it will give my microwave a purpose Ė at the moment I only use it for melting things or for the occasional ready meal.
  • Lucie
    • 27th May 05, 12:13 PM
    • 27th May 05, 12:13 PM
    I usually defrost mince in the microwave & to avoid it still being frozen in the middle & cooked round the edges have developed this little trick:

Defrost for a "period of time"* - the edges should have defrosted & the middle still be frozen. Take out & break in half, put the defrosted "edges" in the middle & the still frozen "middle" to the outside. Defrost again.
    Hey presto - perfectly evenly defrosted mince!

* depends on your microwave output/temperamentality
  • Queenie
    • 27th May 05, 12:25 PM
    • 27th May 05, 12:25 PM
    I remember posting some basics on defrosting using the microwave recently .... .....

Defrosting HTH
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Burlesque Babe
    Can I defrost sausages in microwave??
    I've just got back from being away and not sure what to cook for dinner - top of the ideas list is sausages, but they are in the freezer at the moment!

Can I defrost them in my(800w) microwave? If so, how long for? I don't use my microwave very often, so never sure how long to defost anything for.

They are pork and weigh a good pound in weight if that's any help!
    "Stay Wonky"

Become Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 17th Feb 06, 3:06 PM
    • 5,245 Posts
    • 5,751 Thanks
    ariba10
    Put it on defrost setting and give it about 10 mins, then have a look and try again if it needs more.
    If they are in a lump you should be able to seperate them after the first or second go.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Juni
    If they're already seperated I always cook them from frozen. 30 minutes in a 180 degree oven.
    Debt in 1993: £35,000 | Debt in 2006: £0 | Assets in 2006: £2.3m and counting.

Anything is possible with hard work, determination and the love of a good woman.

There is no upper, middle or lower class. Simply those that have class and those that don't.

• mummysaver
    Well, I might be doing it wrong, but I stick them in the microwave for a couple of mins on medium, see how they are doing and then do a couple more mins, etc. I think that if you begin to smell them they are cooking and need to come out!

You can always throw the lump of sausages in the oven, and after about 5-10 mins just open it and pull them all apart - did this when the old microwave blew up and children wanted sausages for tea one night!
    • mr_fishbulb
    • By mr_fishbulb 17th Feb 06, 3:09 PM
    • 5,067 Posts
    • 2,819 Thanks
    mr_fishbulb
    I find the best way to defrost stuff is put it in a plastic bag and put it in a sink full of hot water for a while.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 17th Feb 06, 3:09 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    If they're in a bunch the ones on the outside will defrost sooner than the ones in the middle, so keep a close eye on them and remove the outside ones when they are defrosted and give the ones in the centre a little bit longer.

Pink
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 17th Feb 06, 3:12 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    I seperate and freeze mine individually and then cook them straight from frozen.

I know it doesn't help now but it might in the future.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
    • stickytoffeepudding
    • By stickytoffeepudding 17th Feb 06, 3:15 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    stickytoffeepudding
    I cook (grill) sausages straight from frozen all the time - kids are still alive and kicking! Just keep turning them over!
    Enjoy!

Success is a journey, not a destination. So stop running!
  • Burlesque Babe
    wow - all those replies in 30 minutes!!! thankyou all!!!

I've always been a bit wary of defrosting meat in the microwave, but I'll pop them in later for about 10 mins I think!
    "Stay Wonky"

Become Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012
    • shays_mum
    • By shays_mum 17th Feb 06, 3:39 PM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 876 Thanks
    shays_mum
    never had a problem cooking from frozen in the oven/grill at half temp about 180c, goodluck
    No one said it was gonna be easy!
  • LittleWelshRareBit
    If they are all in a lump definitely don't try to separate them with a knife - that is like the number 1 casulty during the barbecue season apparently.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,038Posts Today

7,455Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Short lived promo from Virgin - 100mb broadband (that's seriously fast) AND line for equiv of £19/mth - that's les? https://t.co/QqEwbcvsRN

• Follow Martin