Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 26th May 05, 8:42 PM
    • 8,219Posts
    • 13,174Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    Steak and...
    • 26th May 05, 8:42 PM
    Steak and... 26th May 05 at 8:42 PM
    I had planned steak for friday, knowing that there were two in the freezer, enough to share out among us. Then today when I got them out to defrost I found another one
    So what's it to be? I have some salad in the fridge in the form of cucumber, coriander, lettuce, capers. I was thinking of garlicky fried potatoes but i dunno whether I fancy chip type things. Its the part of the lunar (and other) cycle where i CRAVE carbohydrates so we have to have something starchy.
    What would you have with the steak?The carb things i have got in the cupboard are couscous, rice, pasta bows and half a sack of spuds that really have seen better days!
    I have also got a cauliflower but that was a mistake as im the only one who will eat it, otherwise i'd have done cauliflower cheese.
    BTW my lads and me like our steak bloody, easier for them to eat too as its softer that way.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
Page 1
  • frizz_head
    • 26th May 05, 8:51 PM
    • 26th May 05, 8:51 PM
    Stick them on the barbie Sarah, weather is going to be scorchio tomorrow. I would do some roasted (baby new) potatoes, just bung in the oven with some EV Olive Oil, Sea Salt and a few garlic cloves, and a huge salad!!!
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.
    20 pints donated!
  • tigs78
    • 26th May 05, 8:58 PM
    • 26th May 05, 8:58 PM
    Frizz_head

I am liking the sound of the roasted new potatoes!

In my former life I was the ready meal queen so not really sure how to cook even the simplest of things...

What temperature should the potatoes be cooked at and for roughly how long? Also would they need par boiling before they go in?

Thanks in advance
  • Nasnowt
    • 26th May 05, 9:08 PM
    • 26th May 05, 9:08 PM
    Stick them on the barbie Sarah, weather is going to be scorchio tomorrow. I would do some roasted (baby new) potatoes, just bung in the oven with some EV Olive Oil, Sea Salt and a few garlic cloves, and a huge salad!!!
    by frizz_head
    Oh I LOVE these! so much more flavour than the bigger ones. A la Delia?
    In my new basket: A slightly whiffy blanket; Racy’s 2nd favorite jumper; remains of a slipper; 2 sticks (1 chewed); bouncy ball collection (4); Racy’s iPod and a large sock (found under Racy's bed) :confused:

• Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 26th May 05, 9:15 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 26th May 05, 9:15 PM
    • 26th May 05, 9:15 PM
    being a tight git i didnt want to buy any more spuds, dya think the shrivelled sprouting ones i have will do ok? i spose i could make potato kebabs...
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 05, 9:18 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 26th May 05, 9:18 PM
    • 26th May 05, 9:18 PM
    Last night we had baguettes filled with lettuce, onions and steak (cut into small slivers) in a pepper sauce (juice from steak, black pepper, mixed herbs, garlic, wine and cream with a little cornflour to thicken the sauce)

Probably not a lot of use to you Sarah as your children are younger than mine, but it was delicious and may be of interest to someone.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 26-05-2005 at 9:20 PM.
    • foreverskint
    • By foreverskint 26th May 05, 9:23 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    foreverskint
    • 26th May 05, 9:23 PM
    • 26th May 05, 9:23 PM
    Garlic mashed potatoes, with lots of butter. That would use up those potatoes.

Cuecumber & onion & corriander salsa with mint if you have any. (mint sauce is good)

finshed off with a nice rare steak.
    I'm really hungry now, off to see what I have in the freezer.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 05, 9:28 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 26th May 05, 9:28 PM
    • 26th May 05, 9:28 PM
    being a tight git i didnt want to buy any more spuds, dya think the shrivelled sprouting ones i have will do ok? i spose i could make potato kebabs...
    by Sarahsaver
    Depends how shrivelled they are.......but if they are only sprouting a bit I just scrub the sprouts off when I'm washing them. After cooking for extra flavour pour over a little garlic butter and serve.

Pink
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 05, 9:41 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 26th May 05, 9:41 PM
    • 26th May 05, 9:41 PM
    onions and steak (cut into small slivers) in a pepper sauce (juice from steak, black pepper, mixed herbs, garlic, wine and cream with a little cornflour to thicken the sauce)

Pink
    by Pink-winged
    Just thinking about this....bearing in mind that your children are younger, this works just as well with rice.........I think I remember somewhere you said that they liked rice ??

In my opinion using steak in this way makes it go a lot further. Just be careful not to over-cook the meat as it will become too tough for little ones.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 26-05-2005 at 9:52 PM.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 26th May 05, 9:47 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    this is great, i have loads of mint in the front garden, and the kids will eat spuds whatever shape they are in LOL
    bottle of red wine and it's sorted
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Lillibet
    Onion rings. Can't have a rare steak without onion rings IMHO
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Hi SarahSaver!
    Hi SarahSaver

I sometimes when there is steak left-which is very rare (hubby would eat everyday-very bloody & still mooing..lol) .....

I slice or very finely chop steak, then fry in pan with a little butter for about 30 secs. Take out pan. Chop up fresh peppers, red onion, leeks & mushroom. Fry for about 3-5 mins in a little butter & worcester sauce, then add meat. Immediately add small carton of single cream and a fraction of water. Add loads of pepper and serve with either boiled rice, pasta or in a hot baguette. On the side normally garlic bread and salad!

Hubby loves Hot 12" baguette, very rare steak sliced with buttered onions & mushrooms+loads of HP

Tastes divine

Penny-Pincher!!
    xxx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Lucie
    We often have Steak, chips, mushrooms, onion rings & grilled tomato. DH calles it "the Berni Inn dinner"

Homemade onion rings - slice onion into rings, soak in bowl of milk for 10 minutes, then toss in flour & deep fry. For an extra thick coating you can "double dip" them. Messy - don't let the flour & milk mixture set in the bowl or on the worktop, it's like cement!

Past their best potatoes would probably be chips, mash or rosti
  • mink35
    You could do something different altogether for the carbs and make baby garlic bread balls! Make some bread dough with garlic in. Shape into pea-sized balls (a bit fiddly!) and let them rise a little, fry off in garlic olive oil until golden, top with a little grated parmesan and serve with the steak - like potatoes. Absolutely yummy and just makes a change!
    Mink
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 27th May 05, 11:19 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    I have to dash off fairly soon, but would somebody please remind me later to add this thread to the links section of our Old Style Recipe Collection.

I really don't want to lose all the inspiring ideas in this thread
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
    • Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 27th May 05, 11:34 AM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    For me it has to be good old fashioned chuncky chips, or potato wedges with golden savoury rice.............oh and lots of mayonaise on the side Yummy
    • likabu
    • By likabu 27th May 05, 2:04 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    likabu
    Onion rings. Can't have a rare steak without onion rings IMHO
    by Lillibet
    Yum, and mushy peas!! I love mushy peas.

Lisa
    Brassic!
  • frizz_head
    Frizz_head

I am liking the sound of the roasted new potatoes!

In my former life I was the ready meal queen so not really sure how to cook even the simplest of things...

What temperature should the potatoes be cooked at and for roughly how long? Also would they need par boiling before they go in?

Thanks in advance
    by tigs78
    Me too Tigs!!! (Ready Meal Queen that is)
    I just put them in a 200c oven for about 45mins to 1hr - until all golden and crispy! No need to parboil.
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.
    20 pints donated!
  • pepsicola
    This is making me hungry just reading but as I see you also have chickens I would have the steak with a lovely fried egg on top.
  • megasaver
    Homemade onion rings - slice onion into rings, soak in bowl of milk for 10 minutes, then toss in flour & deep fry. For an extra thick coating you can "double dip" them. Messy - don't let the flour & milk mixture set in the bowl or on the worktop, it's like cement!
    by Lucie
    thank you for the onion ring idea, I will def have a go at those tonight!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

587Posts Today

6,659Users online

Martin's Twitter