Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • elona
    • By elona 26th May 05, 7:04 PM
    • 11,150 Posts
    • 63,458 Thanks
    elona
    • 26th May 05, 7:04 PM
    • 26th May 05, 7:04 PM
    There was a thread on moneysaving old style about making your own ginger beer - that might be what you want. It was a few months ago and I think it was started by Sarahsaver.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 26th May 05, 7:07 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 26th May 05, 7:07 PM
    • 26th May 05, 7:07 PM
    I remember doing this as a child. Just searched the site and found this:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=16725&highlight=ginger+beer
    • Chipps
    • By Chipps 26th May 05, 8:26 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    Chipps
    • 26th May 05, 8:26 PM
    • 26th May 05, 8:26 PM
    We have just done this, we bought a kit for our ys for christmas from Hawkins bazaar - it was just yeast & ginger. Added water & sugar... voila! real ginger beer!
    Mind you, I wouldn't buy a kit another time, but it did make a fun present for a ginger-beer fan!
    • Whitefiver
    • By Whitefiver 27th May 05, 5:45 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    Whitefiver
    • 27th May 05, 5:45 PM
    • 27th May 05, 5:45 PM
    Ohhh what I wouldn't give for a real ginger beer shandy. (Ginger Beer and bitter). One of the most refreshing drinks ever on a sticky day.

Regards,

White.
  • Queenie
    • 27th May 05, 5:57 PM
    • 27th May 05, 5:57 PM
    OMG!!! Gingerbeer Shandy!!! When I worked in a bar p/t one of my first customers asked for one of those .... using my "common" ... I did Ginger beer with lemonade (Hey! Bitter Shandy is bitter and lemonade! :confused: ) I was told how to do it "properly" and the 'wastage' was deducted from my wages

My eldest bro used to make THE most fantastic GB
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 27th May 05, 7:00 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 27th May 05, 7:00 PM
    • 27th May 05, 7:00 PM
    OMG!!! Gingerbeer Shandy!!! When I worked in a bar p/t one of my first customers asked for one of those .... using my "common" ... I did Ginger beer with lemonade (Hey! Bitter Shandy is bitter and lemonade! :confused: ) I was told how to do it "properly" and the 'wastage' was deducted from my wages
    by Queenie
    I've never had anyone ask me for ginger beer shandy, but i did have a couple of people who liked coke and lager mixed

I hated pouring that and it even looked disgusting as it separated too YUK!

One of my regulars used to like a Guinness, cider and black mix ... forget what it's called now ... but I used to have that one off to a tee and I was the only one allowed to make it for him
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 27th May 05, 7:59 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 27th May 05, 7:59 PM
    • 27th May 05, 7:59 PM
    Poor Man's Black Velvet? The original was Guinness and Champagne.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 27th May 05, 8:09 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 27th May 05, 8:09 PM
    • 27th May 05, 8:09 PM
    Poor Man's Black Velvet?
    by squeaky

That definitely rings a bell! ... especially the black velvet bit
    ~

• Queenie
    Our pub refused to sell it .... quite pokey!!!!
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 27th May 05, 8:13 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Our pub refused to sell it .... quite pokey!!!!
    by Queenie
    Yeah, I gather it is, although I've never tried it myself, but we only had a couple that ever asked for it so I just served it to them and they were never any trouble

PS hope you got BB on while nattering away here
    ~

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 27th May 05, 8:13 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Wicked stuff it is!

As for this ginger beer - I like it lots but I can't see me going through eight pints of it a week!!

Is there a reasonable way of reducing quantities without making a mess of it?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Queenie
    PS hope you got BB on while nattering away here
    by Curry_Queen
    Just like you have Treacle (+ dh is recording it LOL )

squeaky - summer is coming ... you don't want to dehydrate ... drink the 8 pints! alternatively ... invite us all round for a party!!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 27th May 05, 8:45 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    LOL I'd love to invite you all, honest

• Queenie
    Right ... everyone round to squeaky's ....

I'm going to look up my dmum's Ginger Beer recipe and see how it compares to the linked one ... then we can have a taste test
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 27th May 05, 9:27 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    If I still had my car and could get out I'd come get you all and we'd pop round squeaky's for ginger beer!!!
    ~

• Queenie
    Change of venue ................

All off to CQ's
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 27th May 05, 9:50 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Wooo Hooooo ... get's chef's hat on and starts cooking curry and nibbles

Just don't raid all my booze supplies
    ~

• MDUK
    • By MDUK 3rd Mar 06, 10:52 AM
    • 444 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    MDUK
    Ginger Beer
    As i kid in the 70's I remember some friends bringing round a 'ginger beer plant' and i fed it to make ginger beer. i saw an ad for a make your own ginger beer kit in one of the catalogues i get and thought there must be a recipe on the web and there was! Will be trying it out on the kids very soon.here

The Recipe

Producing your own ginger beer is very easy. It is produced in a biological process in much the same way as yoghurt. You will first need to create what is called a ginger beer plant2. It will be ten days before the first batch will be ready.

Ingredients

25g Dry yeast (50g of fresh)
    2tbsp ground ginger
    2tbsp caster sugar
    ½pt (300ml) water
    Method

If you are using dry yeast, stir the yeast in with ¼ pint (150ml) of lukewarm water and a bit of sugar. Leave this mixture for 10-15 mins. If you are using fresh yeast, which you can procure from certain bakers, you can skip this process.

Mix the wettened yeast with the sugar until they cream to form a liquid. Then add the ground ginger and water. If you used dry yeast then use only ¼pt (150ml) of water. Stir this mixture well and pour it into a jar with a loose-fitting lid, so as to let the mixture breathe. Now leave this mixture in a cool place.

The next day, and each day thereafter, add 1 level tsp (5ml) of ground ginger and the same amount of caster sugar to your jar and stir the mixture thoroughly.

After 10 days. dissolve 18oz (500g) of caster sugar and 1½pt (900ml) of water, bring this mix to the boil and let it cool slightly. Add the strained juice of two lemons to the water.

Strain your ginger plant through fine muslin and add the strained liquid to the sugar and lemon juice mixture, along with 6pt (3.4l)water.

Stir the mixture well and bottle it straight away in strong screw-topped bottles, like those in which you would store cider or beer. Make sure you store the bottles in a cool place for about two weeks before you drink it. This is essential!

To Make More Ginger Beer

Halve the sediment left on the muslin and divide it into two separate jars. Add ½pt (300ml) water, 2tsps (10ml) and 2tsps (10ml) caster sugar to each jar. Stir it well and continue the same process as before for ten days.

This means that the produce is doubled every ten days.

Ginger Beer is best enjoyed chilled and despite the clich! is also highly enjoyable on picnics.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 3rd Mar 06, 12:23 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Hiya,

I've just merged your post with an earlier one we have on ginger beer which includes recipes and links that you might also find interesting.

Since posts are listed in date order you'll need to read from the beginning to catch up

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,492Posts Today

7,519Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin