Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 18th Sep 12, 9:41 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Inflation fell in August despite fuel hikes
    • 18th Sep 12, 9:41 AM
    MSE News: Inflation fell in August despite fuel hikes 18th Sep 12 at 9:41 AM
    "The retail prices index rate of inflation fell to 2.9% in August down from 3.2% in July, says the ONS ..."

Read the full story:

Inflation fell in August despite fuel hikes

This thread is not in the 'discuss house prices and economy board' as that is only open to those logged into the forum so anyone coming from the news story may not be able to see it.

Page 1
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 18th Sep 12, 9:49 AM
    • 3,308 Posts
    • 1,804 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 18th Sep 12, 9:49 AM
    • 18th Sep 12, 9:49 AM
    So we all have to jump for joy because the stuff used to massage/calculate the figure is only rising by 2.9% rather than 3.2%?
    That's really an incentive to now go on a spending spree to further reduce my mostly fixed income!
    Meanwhile in the real world....................
    R.I.P. U.K. Democracy.
    • LesU
    • By LesU 18th Sep 12, 4:03 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    LesU
    • 18th Sep 12, 4:03 PM
    • 18th Sep 12, 4:03 PM
    I'm a little baffled by the contention that gas and electricity have only risen by just under 2% over 2 years. (1.7% last year, no rise this year). 2 years ago I took out a discount plan with Scottish Power that the comparison web sites said was the cheapest rate available. This year I have switched to another SP plan which the web sites say is the cheapest rate available. It comes out at an 18% rise in cost compared with the old plan.
    Has someone got the decimal point in the wrong place?
    I suppose that the increase happened at the end of August which hasn't been factored in yet. Watch this space for a 'surprise' rise in inflation next month.
    • kar999
    • By kar999 18th Sep 12, 7:48 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    kar999
    • 18th Sep 12, 7:48 PM
    • 18th Sep 12, 7:48 PM
    The fuel prices quoted in the article are also lower than those at the pumps now in September.

But transport costs put the most pressure on inflation, with petrol prices increasing by 3.5p a litre to 135.1p in August, while diesel rose by 3.3p to 140.3p, compared to smaller rises last year.

I've been struggling to pay less than 142.9p for diesel all month with non-supermarket forecourts 2 to 3p more or even higher.
    If the ball had gone in the net it would have been a goal.
    If my Auntie had been a man she'd have been my Uncle.
    • JohnRo
    • By JohnRo 19th Sep 12, 8:58 PM
    • 2,773 Posts
    • 2,609 Thanks
    JohnRo
    • 19th Sep 12, 8:58 PM
    • 19th Sep 12, 8:58 PM
    does anyone actually believe this sort of nonsense anymore?

When the reduced weights and measures of goods are factored in with price rises, inflation is well into double digits on a great many every day items.
  • MoneySaverLog
    • 20th Sep 12, 5:24 AM
    • 20th Sep 12, 5:24 AM
    More examples of inflation manipulation to make the figures look good.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,411Posts Today

5,716Users online

Martin's Twitter