Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 18th Sep 12, 8:11 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Cowboy clampers 'could start new parking scams'
    • 18th Sep 12, 8:11 AM
    MSE News: Cowboy clampers 'could start new parking scams' 18th Sep 12 at 8:11 AM
    "Cowboy wheel clampers, who will soon be outlawed, could move onto illegal parking ticket rackets, the AA warns ..."

Page 1
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 18th Sep 12, 8:16 AM
    • 27,171 Posts
    • 37,673 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 18th Sep 12, 8:16 AM
    • 18th Sep 12, 8:16 AM
    Thanks for the link, unless you get a cowboy demanding the money there and then the good old advice of ignore will stand most in good stead. Its quite likely the dregs would not be in the AOS anyway.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • bazster
    • By bazster 18th Sep 12, 8:33 AM
    • 7,326 Posts
    • 9,448 Thanks
    bazster
    • 18th Sep 12, 8:33 AM
    • 18th Sep 12, 8:33 AM
    Given that hanging around car parks intimidating people is what the gorillas do, they will probably continue doing so for a while. The advice if threatened or physically prevented from leaving has to be to call 999.
    Je suis Charlie.
    • HO87
    • By HO87 18th Sep 12, 2:01 PM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 7,514 Thanks
    HO87
    • 18th Sep 12, 2:01 PM
    • 18th Sep 12, 2:01 PM
    "Cowboy wheel clampers, who will soon be outlawed, could move onto illegal parking ticket rackets, the AA warns ..."
    Originally posted by MSE Helen
    The is a recycled story that dates back to the time when Parliament was taking oral evidence in preparation for the draft of POFA. Its hardly news and if all the AA can do is to wind motorists up about this rather than offering positive advice as to how to deal with PPC invoices then it's a poor do. PPC invoices will impact far more people than clamping will.

There's nothing more that needs to be said that hasn't already been discussed on this board for the last year and more.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016).

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
    • whitelabel
    • By whitelabel 18th Sep 12, 4:49 PM
    • 2,118 Posts
    • 1,537 Thanks
    whitelabel
    • 18th Sep 12, 4:49 PM
    • 18th Sep 12, 4:49 PM
    Thanks for the link, unless you get a cowboy demanding the money there and then the good old advice of ignore will stand most in good stead. Its quite likely the dregs would not be in the AOS anyway.
    Originally posted by peter_the_piper
    Given that hanging around car parks intimidating people is what the gorillas do, they will probably continue doing so for a while. The advice if threatened or physically prevented from leaving has to be to call 999.
    Originally posted by bazster
    Unfortunatly not the case. this law change makes it far easier for them to legally extort even more people without needed to have gorillas threatening anyone

I pointed out an article to martin at the start of the month and my concerns, that the private tickets will then become legally enforceable which at present they are not
    and one clamper is excited about the prospect...

heres the article in full

http://www.sundaymercury.net/news/midlands-news/2012/09/02/birmingham-car-clamper-i-ll-make-more-money-under-new-laws-66331-31748475/

but essentially :
    Instead of hiring private clamping firms, car park owners will now be able to install ticket machines and set their own parking ticket fines. The new law means the ticket will be legally enforceable and carry the same weight as if a traffic warden had issued it.
    “Currently, if a private firm issues a motorist with a ticket on private land the driver can choose to ignore it because we have no legal authority to make someone pay it,” explained Mr Wilkins. “In extreme cases we can take someone to a small claims court but it is rarely worth the hassle.
    “The Government’s new law will allow private car park owners to set their own penalty charges for tickets – so I’ve set mine at the same level that it would cost as if we had clamped the car instead.
    While outlawing private clampers they should also have done the same for private tickets

it is a huge loophole that will be exploited to ours and many others detriment
    Last edited by whitelabel; 18-09-2012 at 4:54 PM.
    every little helps
    • TrickyWicky
    • By TrickyWicky 18th Sep 12, 5:04 PM
    • 3,862 Posts
    • 3,225 Thanks
    TrickyWicky
    • 18th Sep 12, 5:04 PM
    • 18th Sep 12, 5:04 PM
    "illegal parking ticket racket"..

It's not illegal. They just don't have any legal rights to enforce it. If the motorist is daft enough to send a cheque (preferably with an empty account and no guarantee card number) then thats their own problem really isn't it. Watchdog have highlighted this enough times now.
    • ManxRed
    • By ManxRed 18th Sep 12, 5:05 PM
    • 3,386 Posts
    • 4,485 Thanks
    ManxRed
    • 18th Sep 12, 5:05 PM
    @whitelabel:

You believe that newspaper report (actually a quote from a numbskull clamper within the report) rather than the actual legislation itself which says nothing of the sort?

Odd.
    Je Suis Cecil.
    • whitelabel
    • By whitelabel 18th Sep 12, 5:05 PM
    • 2,118 Posts
    • 1,537 Thanks
    whitelabel
    "illegal parking ticket racket"..

It's not illegal. They just don't have any legal rights to enforce it. If the motorist is daft enough to send a cheque (preferably with an empty account and no guarantee card number) then thats their own problem really isn't it. Watchdog have highlighted this enough times now.
    Originally posted by TrickyWicky
    They didnt but they will have...
    every little helps
    • ManxRed
    • By ManxRed 18th Sep 12, 5:06 PM
    • 3,386 Posts
    • 4,485 Thanks
    ManxRed
    • 18th Sep 12, 5:06 PM
    • 18th Sep 12, 5:06 PM
    No they won't.
    Je Suis Cecil.
    • TrickyWicky
    • By TrickyWicky 18th Sep 12, 5:07 PM
    • 3,862 Posts
    • 3,225 Thanks
    TrickyWicky
    I'm aware of that.. believe me after being out of work for ages I'm tempted myself with the experience I have of the industry.. the only thing standing in my way is my conscience and wanting to sleep at night
    • bazster
    • By bazster 18th Sep 12, 5:10 PM
    • 7,326 Posts
    • 9,448 Thanks
    bazster
    Whitelabel, I'm afraid that you have not done your homework. It's a big mistake to believe one wildly inaccurate article in a Birmingham local paper.

The fact is that there are only three significant aspects to the new law:

- clamping on private land becomes illegal
    - ticket issuers might be able to hold the registered keeper liable to pay a charge if they cannot find out who the driver was and
    - there is a new "independent" appeals process which is binding on the parking company but not the motorist or registered keeper.

It is complete and utter rubbish that private parking tickets will be on the same legal footing as local authority tickets. They will continue to function purely under contract law, and the Small Claims process will still be the only enforcement option available against those who refuse to pay.

And if a PPC is stupid enough to take someone to court (driver or registered keeper) then all the same obstacles lie in their way (not the landowner, no contract, unenforceable penalty, unfair contract terms and so on and so forth).

Probably a good idea to do a little research (starting with this forum) before believing what you read in the gutter press.
    Je suis Charlie.
    • bazster
    • By bazster 18th Sep 12, 5:13 PM
    • 7,326 Posts
    • 9,448 Thanks
    bazster
    They didnt but they will have...
    Originally posted by whitelabel
    Wrong. Try reading the law instead of the newspapers:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/9/contents/enacted

You want Schedule 4, it's not very long.
    Je suis Charlie.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 18th Sep 12, 5:17 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    Some idiot parked in my drive for a week.

Neither the council enforcement nor the police will lift a finger, as it is on private land.
    • bazster
    • By bazster 18th Sep 12, 5:19 PM
    • 7,326 Posts
    • 9,448 Thanks
    bazster
    Some idiot parked in my drive for a week.

Neither the council enforcement nor the police will lift a finger, as it is on private land.
    Originally posted by Pincher
    The good news for you is that the new Act empowers the Police and Local Authorities to remove vehicles from private land.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • BASFORDLAD
    I am in birmingham most weeks with work, so i will do my best to get one of these 150 tickets, i can then run round saying "ive won i've won".

As he isnt an AOS member i wonder how he is going to enforce these lovely tickets

Does anyone know where in Birmingham his car parks are?

Oh and the report is so inacurrate you couldnt make it up
    Last edited by BASFORDLAD; 18-09-2012 at 5:28 PM.
    For everthing else there's mastercard.
    For clampers there's Barclaycard.
    • bazster
    • By bazster 18th Sep 12, 5:26 PM
    • 7,326 Posts
    • 9,448 Thanks
    bazster
    I am in birmingham most weeks with work, so i will do my best to get one of these 150 tickets, i can then run round saying "ive won i've won".

I wonder if he is an AOS member

Does anyone know where in Birmingham he car parks are?
    Originally posted by BASFORDLAD
    Indeed, he's in for a bit of a surprise when he dishes out all these tickets and no-one pays them! What's more, he's not a member of the AOS, so he will not even be able to find out who the naughty parkers are!

What a w****r.
    Je suis Charlie.
    • Lum
    • By Lum 18th Sep 12, 5:33 PM
    • 6,369 Posts
    • 3,887 Thanks
    Lum
    I think the most interesting line in that article is:
    But one bit off more than he could chew when he clamped a marked police car, ending up with an Asbo.
    How typical that the police only bother to do anything about it when it's one of their own that is targeted. It's that attitude that allows operations like this to flourish in the first place!
    • whitelabel
    • By whitelabel 18th Sep 12, 5:51 PM
    • 2,118 Posts
    • 1,537 Thanks
    whitelabel
    mm ok so it seems a deliberate misinformation article

why would they run with that,, its Trinity Mirror owned not just a little local rag....

I wonder how much he paid then to do it, to scare people in to paying when they get a ticket in the future !
    every little helps
    • ManxRed
    • By ManxRed 18th Sep 12, 5:54 PM
    • 3,386 Posts
    • 4,485 Thanks
    ManxRed
    Dunno. The article has been laughed at, sorry, discussed on other threads on here.

Lots of newspaper stories get linked on here, and some are OK, and some are awful. Remember, the people on here are clued up about private parking, whereas your average journo (and his editors) aren't.

We get to see all sorts of misinformation in the newspapers about this sort of thing. Its not just the Sunday Mercury or Trinity Mirror in particular.
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • BASFORDLAD
    mm ok so it seems a deliberate misinformation article

why would they run with that,, its Trinity Mirror owned not just a little local rag....

I wonder how much he paid then to do it, to scare people in to paying when they get a ticket in the future !
    Originally posted by whitelabel

Just bad work
    For everthing else there's mastercard.
    For clampers there's Barclaycard.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,480Posts Today

8,032Users online

Martin's Twitter