Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 17th Sep 12, 11:08 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: HSBC and First Direct customers to get Post Office banking
    • 17th Sep 12, 11:08 AM
    MSE News: HSBC and First Direct customers to get Post Office banking 17th Sep 12 at 11:08 AM
    "From next spring HSBC and First Direct personal current account customers will be able to bank at Post Office branches ..."

Page 1
    • Mishomeister
    • By Mishomeister 17th Sep 12, 12:08 PM
    • 843 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    Mishomeister
    • 17th Sep 12, 12:08 PM
    • 17th Sep 12, 12:08 PM
    That means even longer queues in the Post Offices if there were not enough wasted hours of lunch brakes
    • Beate
    • By Beate 17th Sep 12, 12:21 PM
    • 3,522 Posts
    • 4,201 Thanks
    Beate
    • 17th Sep 12, 12:21 PM
    • 17th Sep 12, 12:21 PM
    I have more HSBC branches than post office branches around me...
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, 170.03 Capital One Bank Charges 418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, 2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
    • spenderdave
    • By spenderdave 17th Sep 12, 12:50 PM
    • 498 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    spenderdave
    • 17th Sep 12, 12:50 PM
    • 17th Sep 12, 12:50 PM
    Not sure what the advantage is for many of us - my HSBC bank is next door to the main post office...
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 17th Sep 12, 2:06 PM
    • 7,669 Posts
    • 11,258 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 17th Sep 12, 2:06 PM
    • 17th Sep 12, 2:06 PM
    My only HSBC has 3 counters- compared to 20 at Barclays next door! Stupid for a very large town but it is what it is.

Also no counter service on a Saturday- if you've got notes or cheques can use the machine but if you've coins then you can't pay-in.

Those are my only gripes about my bank so I am thrilled about the Post Office access.
    Last edited by KxMx; 17-09-2012 at 2:09 PM.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 17th Sep 12, 4:46 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 17th Sep 12, 4:46 PM
    • 17th Sep 12, 4:46 PM
    Are they going to TRAIN every POST OFFICE staff in the country?
    I suspect most will only get an HSBC customer once in a blue moon.

We used to have Lloyds/TSB, Barclays, Nationwide, Bradford and Bingley. Abbey National and LEEDS if I go back 30 years. Now it's just HSBC and Natwest. Obviously I will be grateful for the Post Office connection if they close the HSBC, but I don't think I'll bother when there's a perfectly good HSBC 200 meters away.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 17th Sep 12, 5:40 PM
    • 3,653 Posts
    • 4,159 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    • 17th Sep 12, 5:40 PM
    • 17th Sep 12, 5:40 PM
    That means even longer queues in the Post Offices if there were not enough wasted hours of lunch brakes
    Originally posted by Mishomeister
    Indeed. Would be rather nice if Post Offices were used more for, well, post, as opposed to pensions and benefits.

The clue is in the name.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • BigJonnyB
    • By BigJonnyB 17th Sep 12, 5:52 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    BigJonnyB
    • 17th Sep 12, 5:52 PM
    • 17th Sep 12, 5:52 PM
    In our village (around 3,000 people) there is no bank. The nearest town and bank is 7 miles away. There is no cash machine in the village. This type of account access makes a hugely positive difference in rural areas. It also helps those post offices that desperately need more work having lost so many government services.

I can't see why queue times would be affected very much at all - withdrawing cash with partner banks is very quick. Given that post offices already do banking services for natwest/ lloyds/ halifax/ nationwide/ barclays/ co-op etc there is no training required as it is all the same procedure. So for those of us in rural areas this is very welcome, and provides some much needed support to smaller offices.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 17th Sep 12, 6:01 PM
    • 10,134 Posts
    • 7,757 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 17th Sep 12, 6:01 PM
    • 17th Sep 12, 6:01 PM
    So which banks don't offer post office services now?
  • asklyd
    I agree with BigJonnyB. I live in the countryside and the nearest bank is miles away. Our post office is a lifeline for neighbouring villages. I think it's wonderful.
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 17th Sep 12, 8:32 PM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 3,556 Thanks
    Kite2010
    I bet it will be an excuse to close some "loss" making branches to move people into doing basic transactions at the local Post Office.

(Loss making as in branches which don't sell all the added value rubbish the banks want us all to have, loans, paid-for bank accounts etc)
  • Roger9
    Staff move from Bank to P.O.
    I cannot understand HSBC I thought most post offices were shut down or in the process od being.

I don't want to trust anyone working in a P.O. rather than the Bank staff. and their machines (inside, not on outside wall).
    • PaulW922
    • By PaulW922 19th Sep 12, 1:00 PM
    • 819 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    PaulW922
    It is amazing the number of posters who have already tried to make this a bad news story.

If there is an HSBC near your local Post Office then it isn't going to affect you is it?
  • fluffyfelix
    Great benefit to all.
    We have done cash withdrawals for many banks for years in the Post Office without a problem, anything that helps customers especially in the rural area has to be an advantage to all.

Many people don't like to use outside cash machines plus you are able to withdraw more than cash back at a supermarket.

The transaction is very quick too so doesn't cause a delay.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 21st Sep 12, 9:00 PM
    • 3,653 Posts
    • 4,159 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    The transaction is very quick too so doesn't cause a delay.
    Originally posted by fluffyfelix
    People who need to post things and get stuck behind 83490430 people doing their banking disagree.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 22nd Sep 12, 1:13 AM
    • 7,669 Posts
    • 11,258 Thanks
    KxMx
    People who need to post things and get stuck behind 83490430 people doing their banking disagree.
    Originally posted by JuicyJesus

It's 2012. The Post Office would be long dead if it only stuck to selling stamps.

Anything that brings in more revenue and keeps that PO there for you to post stuff should be welcomed.

Lots of banks already enable you to bank via the PO, have done for years and I haven't seen vast queues of people wanting to do banking.

I find them continually trying to flog their credit cards and insurance more time consuming than a simple transaction!

And I reckon if 83490430 people started banking there the staffing levels would increase sharpish.
    • Bloomberg
    • By Bloomberg 22nd Sep 12, 7:59 AM
    • 657 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Bloomberg
    "From next spring HSBC and First Direct personal current account customers will be able to bank at Post Office branches ..."

Originally posted by MSE Helen
    I think that it is a great news HSBC and First Direct will be able to use the Post Office for banking just like the customers of some other banks. It is unlikely that people living in towns and cities will use the newly available feature but I dare say that for those in rural areas it will be a real blessing.
    Money is a wise mans religion
    • hooverman
    • By hooverman 23rd Sep 12, 11:05 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hooverman
    Po Banking
    So which banks don't offer post office services now?
    Originally posted by pmduk
    I dont think Santander do . A pity as my nearest branch is 10 miles away & the PO 200yds.
    • basill
    • By basill 15th Mar 13, 4:01 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    basill
    1.20 to park anywhere near the town centre HSBC, free parking right outside the two POs on my way home.
    A win for me on the odd occasion someone gives me a cheque.

B
  • babylon83
    Originally posted by Mishomeister
    You have got that one write, things are bad enough as it is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

112Posts Today

1,285Users online

Martin's Twitter