Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Middy
    Who doesn't have a stock cupboard
    • 22nd Jun 12, 3:25 PM
    Who doesn't have a stock cupboard 22nd Jun 12 at 3:25 PM
    On various internet forums, there are people that say that have no food in the house - not even pasta, a tin of tomatoes etc.

I cannot believe some people don't have a stock cupboard. Not just because if their bank has system problems, but when in situations where you cannot go out because of your ill, injured or snowed in. Plus when you have an unexpected expense such as a bill for the car etc.

I know most of you do. But I bet you know someone that doesn't. So when it comes to doing their weekly shop, they just have literally Oxo cubes, herbs/spices, a few open jars/bottles of jam, ketchup and nowt else.
Page 42
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 12th Sep 12, 8:54 AM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    I always use instant mash in fish cakes or add to home made soups to thicken them up a bit juastamum
    I have also managed to roast tinned potatoes in the past when we were skinter than we are now
    Last edited by Butterfly Brain; 12-09-2012 at 8:57 AM.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
    • Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 12th Sep 12, 8:57 AM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 15,828 Thanks
    Save Dosh
    Justamum i use instant mash sometimes and it really tastes like real potatoes, if you put in butter, pepper etc. I don't use smash, as i really thought it had a fake taste (going back to being a kid, its probably changed). I really like tesk value, but they swapped it for oak lane on a home delivery and its not as nice.
    August GC - Food 55.56/80 Alcohol 17.24/20
    Bulk Funds - Food 19.73
    -
    Save 12k in 2019 1,300/5,000 - #155
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Sep 12, 9:00 AM
    • 12,665 Posts
    • 243,309 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I experimented with tinned potaotes before stocking up and they are fine but I found them very salty. I don't salt my food at the cooking or eating stages so maybe I'm oversensitive but I've now decided to rinse them under the tap to take some of the saltiness away before cooking them. You can also rinse syrup off tinned fruits to reduce the calorie count.

Iceland have those McVities cakes at 2 for 1 at the mo, they're 1 or more each elsewhere. I've had some for pudding with the T*sco Basics custard powder (the one in the 6p sachet) and it's a cheap and tasty dessert.

Storecupboarding is going on as a hedge against inflation. I'm in Year 3 of a total pay freeze and the 2 years prior to that were both at 0.5% which meant that on my p/t salary, I got less increase per week that I would've on the dole. Don't have any hopes of getting even the most modest cost-of-living increase come April 2013, so every year my rent and my bills go up and my income doesn't, so it's running to stay still.

There's a certain ruefulness in finding that friends, colleagues and acquaintances who gently-mocked my thrift in more affluent times are now seeking tips.................
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Justamum
    • By Justamum 12th Sep 12, 9:00 AM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 35,927 Thanks
    Justamum
    I always use instant mash in fish cakes or add to home made soups to thicken them up a bit juastamum
    I have also managed to roast tinned potatoes in the past when we were skinter than we are now
    Originally posted by Butterfly Brain
    That's definitely worth remembering.

Justamum i use instant mash sometimes and it really tastes like real potatoes, if you put in butter, pepper etc. I don't use smash, as i really thought it had a fake taste (going back to being a kid, its probably changed). I really like tesk value, but they swapped it for oak lane on a home delivery and its not as nice.
    Originally posted by Save Dosh
    I haven't had instant potato for many years. I think one night I might just have to mix up a packet and serve it with sausages and gravy and see what type of reception it gets - especially if I don't tell them beforehand what it is.

• Justamum
    • By Justamum 12th Sep 12, 9:03 AM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 35,927 Thanks
    Justamum
    I know what I need for my emergency store cupboard - coffee and tea! I couldn't survive if I ran out of either of them.

• lilmisskitkat
    • By lilmisskitkat 12th Sep 12, 9:05 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    lilmisskitkat
    We've got some tinned potatoes too. Not had those before I don't think. I've got some parboiled potatoes in the freezer - when I do roast potatoes I freeze the extra parboiled ones for future use. I do the same when potatoes are starting to 'go over' a bit.
    Originally posted by Justamum
    We use tinned new potatoes for adding to Spanish Omelette for a super-quick meal. I often make a huge one, cut it into wedges and DD and DH take it cold in packed lunches.

Drain and slice the potatoes, fry in a little oil with some onions until they crisp up then add your eggs and cook until set.

K xx
    • Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 12th Sep 12, 9:22 AM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 15,828 Thanks
    Save Dosh
    Originally posted by Butterfly Brain
    Well, i have only in the last few months started doing a roast on a Saturday. My children have always gone to their grandparents on a Sunday, so i never learnt to do roast. I did last Saturday use tinned potatoes, as i read somewhere they came out nice, but it was a total dsaster - I swear they were exploding in the oven and it was really dangerous, big loud bangs, i was scared to open the oven, they were Tesk value tinned, and they were like biting into fat balls. If anyone knows how to get these right, i would appreciate it, as i like the idea.
    August GC - Food 55.56/80 Alcohol 17.24/20
    Bulk Funds - Food 19.73
    -
    Save 12k in 2019 1,300/5,000 - #155
  • Ollycob

Milk is roughly the price of gas/petrol for us.
    Originally posted by wondercollie

For those who have limited space for their stores what would you say the absolute essentials are? My entire store has to fit into one cupboard!
    • Possession
    • By Possession 12th Sep 12, 9:43 AM
    • 3,140 Posts
    • 41,491 Thanks
    Possession
    Justamum I feel just the way you do about instant mash, my main memories of it are at primary school where I was finally given permission not to eat it as it made me sick! But Tesco value stuff is just about edible for me, and much more so for DH and the children who have no idea it isn't fresh. I mostly avoid it but I know I can eat it if I have to. DS eats my portion!

Ollycob for me the essentials are: flour, pasta, rice, tea, sugar, passata and tinned toms, baked beans, value rice pud and custard (DS's favourites!), noodles, instant mash, dried milk, a few Basics tinned soups, some tinned fruit, toilet rolls. I'm sure there's more I've forgotten but those are my core items.
    Last edited by Possession; 12-09-2012 at 9:46 AM.

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 12th Sep 12, 10:17 AM
    • 6,736 Posts
    • 102,881 Thanks
    fuddle
    P, exactly my cupboard staples. For me I'd add bread flour, yeast, salt and stardrops cleaner
    ~ Be like a tree. Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf. Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing. ~
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 12th Sep 12, 10:22 AM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 35,927 Thanks
    Justamum
    Justamum I feel just the way you do about instant mash, my main memories of it are at primary school where I was finally given permission not to eat it as it made me sick!
    Originally posted by Possession
    At my primary school we had lumpy mashed potato - it was made fresh though as the lumps were usually the eyes which hadn't been dug out when they were peeling them. Yuck!

• D&DD
    • By D&DD 12th Sep 12, 10:38 AM
    • 4,347 Posts
    • 30,026 Thanks
    D&DD
    Olly I always like to have salt in as its so handy for defrosting frozen paths and preserving if needed as well as for cooking I can't live without copious amounts of coffee..I just don't function so thats top of the list too and chilli flakes for some bizarre reason

Justamum just leafin' through my recipes so may be a while posting them all to start you off tho...

Storecupboard Fishcakes
    14oz can tuna or salmon (although I've made these with chilli mackerel too yum)
    1/2 cup dried milk
    1/2 cup instant mash (I usually buy the cheapest)
    Pinch of onion salt/dried onions/whatever you have in
    good size pinch of salt,pepper,and I usually add chilli flakes
    a little water to bind

*Now I don't completely drain the tin as I use fish in oliveoil/sunflower oil and it helps to bind these without the use of an egg.*

Flake fish and add dried milk,dried potato,and seasonings.
    Squidge together with a fork and add enough water so that the fishcakes stay in a decent patty shape..this varies as I use different fish but around about 4fl oz.
    I flour my hands,roll them into balls then flatten with my palm.

Heat a frying pan and using a bit of oil,fry til golden brown.

I've tried these with some of the dried onion I got from Approved and they were lovely,I blitzed the onion first til it was almost powdered
    Last edited by Dⅅ 12-09-2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
    • D&DD
    • By D&DD 12th Sep 12, 11:39 AM
    • 4,347 Posts
    • 30,026 Thanks
    D&DD
    Doodle Bugs (hillbilly housewife)

1 cup instant potato flakes
    1 1/2 cups boiling water
    2 tblspns oil
    1 tspn salt
    1 cup flour
    1 1/2 tspns baking powder

in a large bowl combine potatoes and water stir well add the oil and salt.
    Add flour and baking powder stir until a soft dough.
    Heat some oil in a pan and shape the potato mixture into patties.
    *I make mine into sausage shapes* Cook until browned.

more to follow you've got me started now
    • Possession
    • By Possession 12th Sep 12, 11:42 AM
    • 3,140 Posts
    • 41,491 Thanks
    Possession
    P, exactly my cupboard staples. For me I'd add bread flour, yeast, salt and stardrops cleaner
    Originally posted by fuddle
    Yes bread flour and yeast for me too, had forgotten them.

• Justamum
    • By Justamum 12th Sep 12, 11:45 AM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 35,927 Thanks
    Justamum
    Justamum just leafin' through my recipes so may be a while posting them all to start you off tho...

Storecupboard Fishcakes
    Originally posted by D&DD
    I forgot to mention that we're vegan That's such a good idea though - I could maybe use mashed up chickpeas instead of the fish.

• she who can not cook
    Yes bread flour and yeast for me too, had forgotten them.
    Originally posted by Possession
    just been to aldi this morning the latest leaflet got some baking stuff in it they are doing thier own STRONG WHITE FLOUR @59p i have been off the bread but that and the yeast @63p for 8 isn't that bad
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
    • Possession
    • By Possession 12th Sep 12, 11:51 AM
    • 3,140 Posts
    • 41,491 Thanks
    Possession
    just been to aldi this morning the latest leaflet got some baking stuff in it they are doing thier own STRONG WHITE FLOUR @59p i have been off the bread but that and the yeast @63p for 8 isn't that bad
    Originally posted by she who can not cook
    Thanks, I have quite a lot but might be forced to get more!

• D&DD
    • By D&DD 12th Sep 12, 11:54 AM
    • 4,347 Posts
    • 30,026 Thanks
    D&DD
    http://www.potatoes.com/recipesandnutrition.cfm?Section=D

this link has a few including few lush breads and desserts

Another thing you can do if just trying to use them up is to add a tablespoon of the powdered one in place of your bread flour when making bread I often do this if I find an odd packet has escaped and is a bit out of date..like years

I've got my nose in a new book I've been waiting for from the states which has just arrived called Put 'em up so forgive me keep disappearing!

More to come *you'll wish you never asked*
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 12th Sep 12, 11:57 AM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 35,927 Thanks
    Justamum
    http://www.potatoes.com/recipesandnutrition.cfm?Section=D

this link has a few including few lush breads and desserts
    Originally posted by D&DD
    I suppose being a potato commission they have to come up with all sorts of ways to use them up.

I've just had a flash of inspiration - I think - the Hairy Bikers did a potato bread on their Europe tour, and I haven't got round to making it yet. I should imagine instant mash would work just as well. I think I'll try that too. I might just be converted to instant mash yet

• Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 12th Sep 12, 2:02 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    D&DD I lurve your apple braid recipe and have used a jar of apple sauce when I haven't got any apples and then I throw some walnuts on top
    So I trust your recipes wholeheartedly. Got any more grovel )
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,557Posts Today

8,050Users online

Martin's Twitter