Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 25th May 05, 11:10 AM
    • 4,736Posts
    • 15,803Thanks
    r.mac
    General Pizza tips & Quick Questions
    • 25th May 05, 11:10 AM
    General Pizza tips & Quick Questions 25th May 05 at 11:10 AM
    I have been using up various bits and pieces in my cupboard in a storecupboard challenge kind of a way (enforced through overspending at the begining of the month!)

One thing I used was a packet mix to make pizza dough/base. The packet originally cost me about 80p for 2 servings. You add water, mix, kneed and then let rise for 15 mins, then add the toppings and cook for at least 20 mins. It was nice, but bland, a bit soggy and nothing on a tesco already made pizza.

On Monday on Ready sSeady Cook (a treat to watch as normally at work at that time) one of the chefs made a quick pizza by mixing some plain flour with a dash olive oil and some water. Rolled it out really thin then cooked in a dry frying pan until it crisped up. He also used a blow torch , but i just turned it over to do the other side. :lol:

Anyway, this made an amazing pizza base, took less than 5 mins to make and cook before adding the topping and shoving in the oven for 10 mins. It was crispy yummy and cheap! I have to say I am amazed that something shown on tv actually works, and that it was a cheap option!

HAs anyone else made a similar discovery?
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
Page 1
    • moggins
    • By moggins 25th May 05, 11:16 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    • 25th May 05, 11:16 AM
    • 25th May 05, 11:16 AM
    It was Ready Steady Cook that taught me how to chop onions easily and quickly, used to love that programme but I never have the chance to watch it anymore.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
  • Galtizz
    • 25th May 05, 11:30 AM
    • 25th May 05, 11:30 AM
    Me too moggins, I always chop my onions up ready steady cook style

I made up 2 pizza bases last time I had pizza and froze one with the tomato puree and cheese on (uncooked) so all I had to do was add the topping, had it last night and it was fantastic, not sure if it was because I hadn't had the hastle of having to make the dough or because it was frozen but it was yum.

I am going to make a big batch and freeze them (they don't take up much room at all because thy are thin, perfect freezer food)
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
    • purplepatch
    • By purplepatch 25th May 05, 11:39 AM
    • 2,524 Posts
    • 1,507 Thanks
    purplepatch
    • 25th May 05, 11:39 AM
    • 25th May 05, 11:39 AM
    It was Ready Steady Cook that taught me how to chop onions easily and quickly, used to love that programme but I never have the chance to watch it anymore.
    by moggins
    Any chance of a description of the chopping method? I'm intrigued to know if it's different from my normal method taught by my Food and Nutrition teacher more years ago than I care to remember!
  • Badgergal
    • 25th May 05, 11:46 AM
    • 25th May 05, 11:46 AM
    So its literally just some flour, olive oil and water? Wow, sounds fab. Maybe will try tonight, but I can see myself messing it up. I often mess up stuff that involves dough!

Also intruiged about chopping method, what is it?!
  • Galtizz
    • 25th May 05, 11:55 AM
    • 25th May 05, 11:55 AM
    Peel the onion, chop the top bit off, chop it in 1/2 long ways, put one 1/2 on the table chopped side down. slice the onion long ways (towards the root at the bottom) but don't slice it all the way (so it just holds together at the root), turn it round and slice it the other way (across the onion) then repeat with the other 1/2, hey presto, a finely chopped onion.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
    • purplepatch
    • By purplepatch 25th May 05, 12:02 PM
    • 2,524 Posts
    • 1,507 Thanks
    purplepatch
    • 25th May 05, 12:02 PM
    • 25th May 05, 12:02 PM
    Same way that Mrs Young taught me, so obviously she did something right! Also, I peel the skin back to the root, but not off completely, so that I've got something to hold it by when chopping - stops your fingers getting chopped too.
  • Bendybops19
    • 25th May 05, 12:04 PM
    • 25th May 05, 12:04 PM
    That sounds like a seriously easy way to make dough! Would it work to make dough balls? Aaaah i love the dough balls in pizza express!!

I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers

• r.mac
    • By r.mac 25th May 05, 12:17 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    • 25th May 05, 12:17 PM
    • 25th May 05, 12:17 PM
    couldn't make dough balls out of it, as this method requires it to be as thin as possible, but you could make a base and just top with garlic butter - yummmy
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • needmoney
    Thanks for this tip rmac, gonna try it I think this maybe the one you're talking about just had a look at the site if anyone else fancies a go here's the link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/flatbreadpizza_74310.shtml
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• needmoney
    made one today but got myself mixed up between two different recipes there's one recipe that says to add 2 teaspoons of salt to 2 cups of flour, I only made a 1 cup one for me and added a teaspoon of salt, and boy! was it salty as I use very little salt in anything these days I could really taste it, but definitely would make again handy if maybe you've run out of bread.

Thanks again r.mac, there was no mention of the water in the recipe though he probably just did that on the tele and no quantity of olive oil I was quite worried at first that I was putting too much but towards the end I switched from the oil to the water. as I don't like a soft or thick base this is ideal for me.
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• furrypig
    somewhere I have a recipe for a pizza, where the base is made from left over mash potatoes,very easy and very yummy (bet I can't find that recipe either now!!)

like the sound of this one so thanks
  • raeble
    The method described by the original poster sounds like making a chappati - except you wouldn't use oil. Just flour, salt and water - roll it out thin then cook on both sides. When I was little we used to make these all the time, sometimes we would turn them into pizzas with a bit of ketchup and cheese then under the grill until it bubbled.
  • Oscar
    needmoney

If you click on your link and look at other pizza recipes,I think it is the base used in the Hawaiian pizza.
  • filigree
    somewhere I have a recipe for a pizza, where the base is made from left over mash potatoes,very easy and very yummy (bet I can't find that recipe either now!!)
    by furrypig
    I found this recipe in In Praise of the Potato by Lindsey Bareham:

700g King Edwards, mashed
    25g butter
    50g parmesan
    1 beaten egg
    150g sliced tomato
    50g sliced mozzarella
    8 thin slices salami
    25g finely slice mushrooms
    salt, pepper, oil, oregano

Mix the mash with the salt, butter, parmesan and egg. Press the mixture in a lightly floured 9 inch pizza pan and give it a slightly raised edge by tapping the base all round 1 cm from the edge. Top with tomato, then cover with the sliced cheese, salami and mushrooms. Sprinkle on oregano, pepper, salt and a trickle of oil.

Preheat the oven to 230C/gas mark 8 and bake for 20 minutes.

According to the book, this is a genuine Pizza Express recipe. I haven't cooked it myself so don't blame me if it mings!

So long as you follow the basic instructions I suppose you could use whatever toppings you like.

I can recommend the book for all fans of potatoes
  • Badgergal
    I gave this a go last night (the ready steady pizza). I think I needed to get the base thinner, but it was hard cos it kept falling apart when I lifted it to put into the pan (told you I was rubbish with dough). As I did it it was a little bit too thick - still nice though and really cheap. I have a slice for lunch at work today!
    • elona
    • By elona 26th May 05, 9:18 AM
    • 11,150 Posts
    • 63,453 Thanks
    elona
    I make pizza dough in the bread maker - it takes 1 and a half hours and then time to rise - another 30 mins to cook but it is GREAT!!!!
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • renegade
    Cannot find the receipe on url given. Help please would love to try this pizza
  • Jay-Jay
    The recipe is 4oz plain flour, splash of water, splash of olive oil.

Mix together to form a dough, roll out thin (5mm) and dry fry in a pan for 2/3 mins each side.

Place on baking sheet and add pizza topping, cook in 220 degree oven for 5 mins.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 26th May 05, 9:40 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Cannot find the receipe on url given. Help please would love to try this pizza
    by renegade
    To see the page you want please Click Here
    There's a link to other pizza recipes at the bottom of this page
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

67Posts Today

2,117Users online

Martin's Twitter