Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Anja
    • By Anja 11th Sep 12, 10:36 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Anja
    • 11th Sep 12, 10:36 PM
    Minimize loo paper
    • 11th Sep 12, 10:36 PM
    Use paper and then a wet wipe. You'll find you're cleaner too!
    • Yorkie1
    • By Yorkie1 11th Sep 12, 10:58 PM
    • 11,055 Posts
    • 20,844 Thanks
    Yorkie1
    • 11th Sep 12, 10:58 PM
    • 11th Sep 12, 10:58 PM
    Go for the deals in the supermarket - compare prices per 100 sheets.

Generally take one sheet at a time and make maximum use of it within the realms of decency and hygiene.

Certainly don't go for the shiny tracing paper as there is absolutely no absorbency there!

I think the cheapest, thinnest brands also mean you can't maximise usage from the sheets and they tear easily, so a false economy to a certain degree.

Not sure about wet wipes - think they would block my plumbing (there's been quite a few posts on the DIY boards about drains being blocked by these).

Over to others ... !
  • NewKittenHelp
    • 11th Sep 12, 11:00 PM
    • 11th Sep 12, 11:00 PM
    I don't use anything but Triple Velvet which I've found to be superior to any other brand and lasts much longer.
    • fab n funky mum
    • By fab n funky mum 11th Sep 12, 11:01 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    fab n funky mum
    • 11th Sep 12, 11:01 PM
    • 11th Sep 12, 11:01 PM
    When you put a new roll on,' flatten' it slightly. This makes it harder for wasteful children to pull off several sheets at a time!
    Linda x
    Crisis is opportunity
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 11th Sep 12, 11:02 PM
    • 9,084 Posts
    • 9,479 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 11th Sep 12, 11:02 PM
    • 11th Sep 12, 11:02 PM
    Regulate your bowels so you go during working hours as much as is possible!
    • mountainofdebt
    • By mountainofdebt 11th Sep 12, 11:10 PM
    • 7,424 Posts
    • 10,794 Thanks
    mountainofdebt
    • 11th Sep 12, 11:10 PM
    I buy my toilet rolls from farmfoods....18 rolls for 4 and decent quality as well.

Always go before I leave work and if I have a wee then I I only use 2 sqaures.
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 11th Sep 12, 11:10 PM
    • 11,541 Posts
    • 48,331 Thanks
    whitewing
    This is a bot bizarre. We have two rolls on the wall holder next to each other. We tend to use less because it is so noticeable against the other roll if you pull a lot off in one go.
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 11th Sep 12, 11:12 PM
    • 9,462 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    • 11th Sep 12, 11:12 PM
    • 11th Sep 12, 11:12 PM
    Nope. I use what I need and will only but triple velvet. It's the one thing I refuse to cut corners with
    Barney is my border collie.
    • marywooyeah
    • By marywooyeah 11th Sep 12, 11:23 PM
    • 2,526 Posts
    • 4,310 Thanks
    marywooyeah
    Well for one thing "spilling the beans" won't help you reduce usage if ya know what I mean!

I tend to leave the cardboard bit of the roll that has been used up by the loo so it's visible how many rolls have been used that week - seems to make you think about how much is being used so subconciously use less.

Have read about the flattening trick on the OS board before, tried it on my OH but he still seemed to use loads!
  • alyth
    some things should never be compromised on - at 2 for quilted velvet in a supermarket, I'll stick to that - what a bizarre money saving question to ask!
    • coolcait
    • By coolcait 11th Sep 12, 11:59 PM
    • 4,249 Posts
    • 13,509 Thanks
    coolcait
    Well, you could give your family imodium [disclaimer: or similar non-branded product] everyday.

However, not only would this be wrong [disclaimer: IMO], it has the potential to breach MSE rules on medical advice.

Nevertheless, I'm curious. In these days of triple velvet; quilted toilet paper; moist wipes specifically designed for post-defecation/urination cleanliness, and who knows what else...

Does the 'ouch-that's-not-comfortable-at-all' tracing paper style toilet paper actually still exist?
    • flossy_splodge
    • By flossy_splodge 12th Sep 12, 12:20 AM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    flossy_splodge
    I was brought up on the '3 sheets is enough' maxim and its stuck (scuse the pun!).
    However in order to stick to this you need a decent quality paper so i use Regina. Not only is it much much thicker than most, it's pretty.
    Is usually on offer somewhere too! I usually pay 1.29 for a 4 roll pack.
    Wet wipes are a BRILLIANT addition to the process!

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
    ― John Wooden
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 12th Sep 12, 12:22 AM
    • 25,165 Posts
    • 101,401 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Go to the bog in the supermarket instead.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • jumpingjackd
    • By jumpingjackd 12th Sep 12, 12:26 AM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 840 Thanks
    jumpingjackd
    Lol , lol, lol this thread is funny!! I have bought triple velvet and the cheapest rolls..............none makes a difference, my OH still bundles it around his hand, for a single wipe, sorry to be crude!! but it doesn't matter what I buy we still go throught the same amount!
  • im-lost
    use an old sponge on a stick, pass it around all the family

on a more serious note, get the cheapest crap you can buy, your
    !!!! doesn't care what its wiped with.. only you do..
    • *max*
    • By *max* 12th Sep 12, 3:56 AM
    • 2,857 Posts
    • 13,467 Thanks
    *max*
    Seriously, there's economising, and there's being a miser.

I personally buy Triple Velvet, if you must know, because it's nice AND cheap (1.99 for 6 rolls at my local chemist's) and I think it really is a case of "you get what you pay for". The really cheap stuff is a false economy.

However, I once lived with a guy who told me I used too much TP.
    Not only did the fact I was paying for it escaped his mind, but really...out of all the things you can pick a fight about...Toilet paper?

I applaud clever money-saving, being savvy, getting the best deal..etc. But there's being savvy and there's being a miser. I'd rather drive a hot poker between my eyes than become the kind of person who's mean about toilet paper. Seriously.
    Last edited by *max*; 12-09-2012 at 4:21 AM.
  • Richard Spud
    Makro deals clean up
    I remember the shiny tracing paper loo roll; it was called "Izal Medicated" and it had a green wrapper with a white first-aid cross on. No absorbancy whatsoever, as it just moved the target substance up your back and woe-betide if you managed to get a sharp crease in the old Izal - a proper sphincter ripper. Best used for tracing and brass rubbing I recall.

Cushelle (with the little koala bears on - why I don't know as Andrex has little puppies on) I find is good quality and I buy in bulk when it's on offer at Makro. 10.99 + VAT @ 20% = 13.19 for 24 rolls = 55p per roll but when on BOGOF = 48 rolls @ 27.5p per roll.

Hope this helps with the paperwork.
    Last edited by Richard Spud; 12-09-2012 at 5:58 AM. Reason: toe curract pour speeling
    • marmitepotato
    • By marmitepotato 12th Sep 12, 6:13 AM
    • 974 Posts
    • 2,034 Thanks
    marmitepotato
    My old granny always had the 'Kent Messenger' cut into little squares in her loo. Maybe we should cut up copies of 'The Sun', it would seem a fitting end to a carp newspaper.....
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 12th Sep 12, 6:18 AM
    • 61,883 Posts
    • 124,626 Thanks
    torbrex
    My old granny always had the 'Kent Messenger' cut into little squares in her loo. Maybe we should cut up copies of 'The Sun', it would seem a fitting end to a carp newspaper.....
    Originally posted by marmitepotato
    You need to be carefull that you didn't wipe more on than you were wiping off

The original question was how to minimise loo paper use? not to compromise on comfort.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,976Posts Today

7,255Users online

Martin's Twitter