Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 4th Sep 12, 9:24 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Government considers tougher benefit sanctions
    • 4th Sep 12, 9:24 AM
    MSE News: Government considers tougher benefit sanctions 4th Sep 12 at 9:24 AM
    "The Government may strengthen penalties for some benefit claimants who refuse to try to find work ..."

Page 1
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 4th Sep 12, 9:41 AM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    • 4th Sep 12, 9:41 AM
    • 4th Sep 12, 9:41 AM
    The contempt that I hold this government in deepens every day. Their relentless attack on the sick, disabled, poor and elderly, is vindictive and is on the brink of genocide. We are now living in Berlin just before the war.
    God help us all, because when they have finished with those who can't fight back they will come for the rest of us.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • DannyboyMidlands
    • 4th Sep 12, 9:49 AM
    • 4th Sep 12, 9:49 AM
    "...........the brink of genocide".

Erm yes, either that or they're cackhandedly trying to save taxpayers a few quid.
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 4th Sep 12, 9:53 AM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    • 4th Sep 12, 9:53 AM
    • 4th Sep 12, 9:53 AM
    No, you don't think so? Thousands have died already either while fighting an appeal, committing suicide, or just plain gave up. You must be a Tory........... Why haven't they gone after the tax evaders, the banks, the big companies who get away with billions every year. They have gone for the easiest target the ones who don't have power, clever accountants or money to fight back.
    Last edited by Butterfly Brain; 04-09-2012 at 9:55 AM.
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • princessdon
    • 4th Sep 12, 10:09 AM
    • 4th Sep 12, 10:09 AM
    The contempt that I hold this government in deepens every day. Their relentless attack on the sick, disabled, poor and elderly, is vindictive and is on the brink of genocide. We are now living in Berlin just before the war.
    God help us all, because when they have finished with those who can't fight back they will come for the rest of us.
    Originally posted by Butterfly Brain

Their relentless attack on workers is pretty dire too. No increase in wages, increase in living, changes to pensions, changes to working benefits etc etc.

I don't think they are singling groups out- they cutting from all angles (well apart from the mega rich - but that is a different thread).
  • dandelionclock30
    • 4th Sep 12, 10:13 AM
    • 4th Sep 12, 10:13 AM
    They wont get in next time thats for sure. Did anyone see George Osbourne getting booed at the para olympics?
    Im particularily looking forward to Nick Clegg losing his seat.
  • Dunroamin
    • 4th Sep 12, 10:17 AM
    • 4th Sep 12, 10:17 AM
    They wont get in next time thats for sure. Did anyone see George Osbourne getting booed at the para olympics?
    Im particularily looking forward to Nick Clegg losing his seat.
    Originally posted by dandelionclock30
    I don't really think that the Paralympics is particularly representative of the country at large.
  • Face1992
    • 4th Sep 12, 10:22 AM
    • 4th Sep 12, 10:22 AM
    This country owes a trillion pounds. Who exactly should be excluded from having any cutbacks? Only the disabled and the poor? There is a poor disabled person on here who drives a 7 seater, has an ipad, has a smart phone, has lots of trips out to various high-costing themeparks, gets 300 a week in benefits as well as the OH's salary.
    • BigAunty
    • By BigAunty 4th Sep 12, 10:24 AM
    • 7,941 Posts
    • 14,422 Thanks
    BigAunty
    • 4th Sep 12, 10:24 AM
    • 4th Sep 12, 10:24 AM
    I don't really think that the Paralympics is particularly representative of the country at large.
    Originally posted by Dunroamin
    I agree but since they are a govt responsible for significantly reducing spending on benefits when a significant proportion of the country receives them, and the introduction of 9k tuition fees for Uni students in England, I don't think they'll get in a second term.

Labour coasted along for so long because of EMA, winter fuel allowance, tax credits, generous LHA compared to historic HB and so forth.

12% of the population live in social housing and those on HB with a spare room (quite a large minority) will also be aware that they will have to start paying for their unoccupied rooms.

Also, next year will see the end of full council tax discount for many groups who will be expected to pay something towards CT out of their existing benefits, which will be yet another struggle if they are a council/HA tenant with a spare room.

The fact that Labour led us into a situation where more was paid out in benefits than received in income tax receipts was of no concern to anyone receiving benefits who are now paying the price of Labour's spree and negligent banking system - the conservatives will be spanked for correcting an unaffordable benefits spree.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 4th Sep 12, 10:26 AM
    • 3,849 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    MABLE
    Whether we like it or not the country just cant afford all these benefits.
    Its should be up to everyone to do their bit.

Surely anything has to be better than just sitting at home focusing on ones ailments.

My message to these people is try some form of work and you never know it may make you feel better.
    • RuthMarianna
    • By RuthMarianna 4th Sep 12, 10:28 AM
    • 542 Posts
    • 1,107 Thanks
    RuthMarianna
    I Agree
    Originally posted by Butterfly Brain
    I so agree with this. My husband is disabled and we live in constant fear and worry about upcoming changes.

People are failing to protest at the changes as they believe the biased propoganda which is building hatred in the country against disabled and sick people. What will be next gettos and ....
    No 314 in "This Will Be Mine In 2009"
    Beginning my first full year of comping so hoping to follow in the footsteps of all the previous lucky winners on here!:rolleyes:
    • Invalidation
    • By Invalidation 4th Sep 12, 10:30 AM
    • 575 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    Invalidation
    This country owes a trillion pounds. Who exactly should be excluded from having any cutbacks? Only the disabled and the poor? There is a poor disabled person on here who drives a 7 seater, has an ipad, has a smart phone, has lots of trips out to various high-costing themeparks, gets 300 a week in benefits as well as the OH's salary.
    Originally posted by Face1992
    Well we could chop India's foreign aid for a start. Maybe they could start paying our poor foreign aid? Now there's a good idea.

By the way. I'm disabled, does that mean I cant drive a nice car simply because I'm receiving that which I paid in for in the First Place? called 'National Insurance?. I dont call it benefits because it isnt.

I drive a Cobra by the way.
    The DWP = Legally kicking the Disabled when they are down.
    • RuthMarianna
    • By RuthMarianna 4th Sep 12, 10:35 AM
    • 542 Posts
    • 1,107 Thanks
    RuthMarianna
    It is these kinds of anecdotal evidence (whether true or not)
    which makes people believe that all disabled people have a cushy life. I have yet to meet anyone with these levels of benefit income. These stories lead to hatred of the very people who cannot fight back.
    No 314 in "This Will Be Mine In 2009"
    Beginning my first full year of comping so hoping to follow in the footsteps of all the previous lucky winners on here!:rolleyes:
  • Face1992
    which makes people believe that all disabled people have a cushy life. I have yet to meet anyone with these levels of benefit income. These stories lead to hatred of the very people who cannot fight back.
    Originally posted by RuthMarianna
    If you've yet to meet one, try looking at some of the threads on here.

The supposed hatred of disabled people as you call it is because of the vast number of layabouts who claim for things like headaches, badbacks and stress because they get 50% more on a disability benefit than they would on JSA..

THOSE people are the reason there has been a rise in feelings about disability payments.

I don't think there will be very many in this country who think that truly deserving disabled people should not get extra money.
  • Face1992
    Well we could chop India's foreign aid for a start. Maybe they could start paying our poor foreign aid? Now there's a good idea.

By the way. I'm disabled, does that mean I cant drive a nice car simply because I'm receiving that which I paid in for in the First Place? called 'National Insurance?. I dont call it benefits because it isnt.

I drive a Cobra by the way.
    Originally posted by Invalidation
    Chopping India's aid would be a great start, why the heck should we be giving them money for their poor people when they are in the Space Race!

National Insurance payments are for a contribution towards a state pension. Not everybody has worked for 30 years then started claiming for disability either. Some have chosen to never work in their lives.
  • Dunroamin
    Originally posted by RuthMarianna
    I think that the idea that people with disabilities can't fight back is incredibly patronising. Everyone has a vote and everyone can be politically active in some way if they so choose. Encouraging people to see themselves as helpless victims really isn't helping them.
    • jasonwatkins
    • By jasonwatkins 4th Sep 12, 10:57 AM
    • 2,044 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    jasonwatkins
    I think the point of the OP has been somewhat lost here. While i'm certainly not in any way supportive of the government's war on the disabled and sick, if you look at the article literally it actually does make a fair amount of sense.

If you're placed in the WRAG then it's on the understanding that you will make a reasonable effort, in line with an advisor, to make your way back in to the workforce.

If you refuse to do that then there will be sanction which I have to say is fair enough. Obviously if you have what you feel is a valid reason for refusal then I would hope that this is dealt with accordingly. Obviously with anything like this, it won't be as black and white as they'll make out, but if the sanction is used properly for those people who maybe look at the WRAG as an "easy ride" then I would certainly not have a problem with it.
  • dandelionclock30
    Originally posted by Dunroamin

Its representative of a lot of disabled people and their relatives/friends all who are part of society.
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 4th Sep 12, 11:09 AM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    The bankers those with off shore accounts, companies that don't pay tax in this country....they are exempt and the richest had a tax cut....That's fair is it?
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • annie1975
    They dont know who to claw money back off next..We in this country are too busy giving to other country's,too busy letting every Tom,!!!! and Harry in and handing benefits out to them.
    People are working for peanuts,not only having pay freezes but having pay cuts, having their hours cut..
    And when they start making these young ones earn their benefits by doing 30 hours a week,people will be getting the sack to make way for this cheap labour.
    i dont think benefits should just be handed out,people should do a bit for their money,but at what cost to the working people.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,769Posts Today

9,092Users online

Martin's Twitter