Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bargain Rzl
    • By Bargain Rzl 24th May 05, 7:55 PM
    • 6,174Posts
    • 21,392Thanks
    Bargain Rzl
    Moneysaving Stir Fry ingredients
    • 24th May 05, 7:55 PM
    Moneysaving Stir Fry ingredients 24th May 05 at 7:55 PM
    Am staying with my mum this week. Since my brother went to uni last year she has stopped receiving tax credits, child benefit AND my dad's maintenance payment, which has halved her income and meant she's had to go back to her old moneysaving ways.

Anyway, we had a yummy stir-fry this evening, and as a costcutting experiment we tried shredded swede as an alternative to bamboo shoots. IT REALLY WORKS! It had a very similar texture and was delicious.

Mum said that all we have to do now is find a cheap substitute for water chestnut and we're sorted
Page 1
    • catznine
    • By catznine 24th May 05, 8:09 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 24th May 05, 8:09 PM
    • 24th May 05, 8:09 PM
    A good tip thanks! Wonder if that would work with the Kohlrabi I got in this weeks organic box! Wish I could suggest an alternative for water chestnuts tho! Sorry!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge 35.77/120
  • Loadsabob
    • 25th May 05, 11:42 AM
    Water chestnut alternative?
    • 25th May 05, 11:42 AM
    A good tip thanks! Wonder if that would work with the Kohlrabi I got in this weeks organic box! Wish I could suggest an alternative for water chestnuts tho! Sorry!
    by catznine
    Has anyone ever tried radish in stir-fries? I don't like radish, but it struck me that the texture might be close to water chestnuts?...the crunch?
    • catznine
    • By catznine 25th May 05, 8:53 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 25th May 05, 8:53 PM
    • 25th May 05, 8:53 PM
    I have just done a google search (as per advice from Squeaky) for recipes using Kohlrabi and guess what? One site suggested using it peeled and cubed to replace water chestnuts in a stir fry! I guess we both have our answers now Bargain Rzl.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge 35.77/120
  • Trying2Save
    • 25th May 05, 9:48 PM
    • 25th May 05, 9:48 PM
    Yes I have used radishes in stir fry when I planted too many seeds. They taste great. What I say is if its a veggie put it in a stir fry!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

2,136Users online

Martin's Twitter