Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 24th May 05, 2:30 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    £20 Free advertising on Google
    • 24th May 05, 2:30 PM
    £20 Free advertising on Google 24th May 05 at 2:30 PM
    Just a quick one. You can get £20 worth of free advertising on Google here.

However, do be careful - monitor the amount that you've been given, as once you spend past the £20 you start paying from your own pocket.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
  • DJV
    • 27th May 05, 2:18 PM
    • 27th May 05, 2:18 PM
    I've just registered for the £20 discount, only to find that it takes up to 3 days to arrive via email ! I would have thought that google would have had this process fully automated with an instant response ? Maybe there are technical reasons that prevent them doing this.

Assuming I go ahead with their advertising, I'll come back to this forum to advise others of how successful it has been at promoting my rental apartment in La Manga, Spain.
    • skylight
    • By skylight 28th May 05, 10:34 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 16,875 Thanks
    skylight
    • 28th May 05, 10:34 PM
    • 28th May 05, 10:34 PM

My 3 days has passed (as of 1pm this afternoon) - and no code yet!!!

I'll wait until 1pm Tuesday - (the working day scenario) and see what happens.

Come on google! I wanna advertise!!!!
  • pricefighter
    • 29th May 05, 6:12 AM
    • 29th May 05, 6:12 AM
    Its nearly 5 days now and i am still waiting for mine!!!!!!
    PF.
    • skylight
    • By skylight 31st May 05, 2:55 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 16,875 Thanks
    skylight
    • 31st May 05, 2:55 PM
    • 31st May 05, 2:55 PM
    Got it this morning! SO excited!!!!
  • lellie
    • 1st Jun 05, 8:39 PM
    • 1st Jun 05, 8:39 PM
    not got mine
    • digp
    • By digp 1st Jun 05, 9:48 PM
    • 1,961 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    digp
    • 1st Jun 05, 9:48 PM
    • 1st Jun 05, 9:48 PM
    not working anymore
  • DJV
    • 1st Jun 05, 11:29 PM
    Got mine
    • 1st Jun 05, 11:29 PM
    My voucher came yesterday. Having gone through the google adwords tutorial and seeing the from 4p per click pricing, I was shocked to see them suggesting a figure of £2.95 per click to guarentee a top level listing ! I think that I had been a bit nieve though, as I thought that I was going to get one of the highlighted sponsered links at the top of the search page ! What you need to be aware of, is the fact that there are many sponsered links down the right hand side of the search page Ė up to 50-60 for some of the keywords that I have entered ! A 4p per click advert will appear somewhere towards the back of this list, i.e. about 8 search pages back. Today Iíve upped my pence per click rate to 5p (hey big spender !), but that doesnít seem to have much effect on the listing position. Iíve also added a load of new keywords (the google suggestion option was really good for this), so Iíll see if things improve.

The good news is that Iíve still got £15 worth of credit left (original free £20 minus the standard £5 activation fee), so at least all of this experimentation is not costing me anything yet !

If I find a magical solution and start to receive a significant increase in the number of clicks/hits, I'll come back and let everyone know how I did it.
    • chris73
    • By chris73 2nd Jun 05, 1:43 AM
    • 355 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    chris73
    • 2nd Jun 05, 1:43 AM
    • 2nd Jun 05, 1:43 AM
    Try and pitch your keywords to be less 'obvious' and more of a niche area. for example if you sell Digital Cameras then your first instinct is to use the phrase 'Digital Camera' on Adwords. Thus joining another 1000 other adwords users all clammering for the same phrase and the keyword value goes up tenfold.

Instead use less obvious and slightly less relevant keywords which may have been overlooked by the masses. Okay your traffic may be less but so will your keyword cost - and not everybody uses the most obvious searches on Google (especially when it produces 1,456,000 matches) and your carefully chosen keywords may appeal to those visitors who don't!
    My Karma ran over your Dogma
  • DJV
    Thanks for that. I've already added 2 more specific/niche keywords, and I'll add more as I think of them.
  • Ickle_Steve
    Make sure you use more than one keyword word on each keyword line. For example "moneysaving expert" not "moneysaving" and "expert" as seperate keywords otherwise you'll be competing with anyone offering moneysaving or expert services. Also making use of the phrase "" marks will target searches on "moneysaving expert" rather than "expert at moneysaving", etc.
    It's better to have the Ad show up less times but more targeted otherwise you'll be paying for people clicking your Ad to see if it's what they're looking for.
    Steve
    • digp
    • By digp 4th Jun 05, 10:56 AM
    • 1,961 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    digp
    can i just add if you use the bank transfer option there is no need to give card details and you can not go over the free money they give!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th May 06, 9:54 AM
    • 61,076 Posts
    • 43,633 Thanks
    soolin
    Just a note to say the post by James18 has been reported to abuse.

Soo
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • ukbill69
    • By ukbill69 10th May 06, 6:52 PM
    • 2,633 Posts
    • 1,310 Thanks
    ukbill69
    Doesnt work now
    Kind Regards
    Bill
    • rustypenny
    • By rustypenny 20th Aug 07, 8:29 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    rustypenny
    You can now get £30 worth of free Google adwords by visiting http://www.google.co.uk/adwords-go
    • save-a-lot
    • By save-a-lot 20th Aug 07, 11:31 AM
    • 2,506 Posts
    • 2,287 Thanks
    save-a-lot
    You can now get £30 worth of free Google adwords by visiting http://www.google.co.uk/adwords-go
    Originally posted by rustypenny
    Thanks - just registered my interest with G
  • scbk
    It aint as "free" as they make out. You have to pay a £5 fee to activate your account, then to get the £30 you have to top up your account with atleast £10

The money seems to get spent fast aswell - I've seen some costs per click as much as £2.50!
    I have my daily limit set at £1 though
  • aeuerby
    It aint as "free" as they make out. You have to pay a £5 fee to activate your account, then to get the £30 you have to top up your account with atleast £10

The money seems to get spent fast aswell - I've seen some costs per click as much as £2.50!
    I have my daily limit set at £1 though
    Originally posted by scbk
    That happens if you choose "pre-payment" method as your billing preference.
    If you choose "post pay" payment method the £5 activation comes out of the £30.
    But yes, not quite as free as the advert suggest!
  • aeuerby
    I must be missing something here.
    I signed up for the free (or not so free) £30 voucher which I got yesterday.

I set it all up with 17 keywords - most of which are letters as we target motorbikes.

By yesterday 3 were made "inactive" and I had to "improve quality" or "increase my bid to £5" which I'm not entirely sure what that means but it sounds expensive!

Today, the rest of my keywords have been made "inactive" for the same reasons and the increase bid vaires from 15p to £5

So does it mean I have to increase the "cost per click" amount?

So unless I am doing something horrendously wrong I am not impressed with google at all.
  • nickswift
    dont think your alowed to post that info about your site but
    you would get number 1 spot if you were to put 'cannock car breakers' into your title tag rather than

'hello we mainly deal in fiestas but will undertake any job on a car holding a blue oval badge,we have lots of used parts in stock in our online shop and we also have a forum come along and join our community'

your compertition is very very low 19,900 (the number of other web pages competing) so i would expect you to get to the top with just changing the title tags - go for other phrases as well such as 'scrap yard' 'breakers yard Staffordshire' 'spare parts' etc PM me and i'll give you some advice....

the phrase that i go for has 27 million compertition - and i have been number 1 for it last week - although back to the top of page 2 now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,178Posts Today

6,738Users online

Martin's Twitter