Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    silverlady
    TOOOOO Many Tomatoes, Help Please
    • 28th Sep 04, 2:11 PM
    TOOOOO Many Tomatoes, Help Please 28th Sep 04 at 2:11 PM
    Help, I know I shouldn't complain but our tomato plants have gone mad this year and we have zillions of tomatoes, some weigh over 1lb each ( I think that's about 500gms)
    I have given loads away to friends and family but still have loads.
    Being a good money saver ;D I can't let them go to waste so can anyone suggest some quick recipes I can make and freeze, or store in any way?
    I have made tomato sauce, the type for pizza and one I use with pasta but any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks
Page 1
    • Angela
    • By Angela 28th Sep 04, 3:07 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 5,378 Thanks
    Angela
    • 28th Sep 04, 3:07 PM
    Re: TOOOOO Many Tomatoes, Help Please
    • 28th Sep 04, 3:07 PM
    I too have had a bumper harvest this year and have been making tomato soup twice a week for the last month.

Recipe
    1 1/2 lbs of tomatoes
    2oz butter
    2oz flour
    4oz onions
    1 1/2 pts vegetable stock(made with stock cubes)

Remove core of tomato and put cross on bottom of tomato place in boiling water for 15 secs remove put in cold water then remove skin,chop roughly.
    Melt butter add roughly chopped onions cook till soft.
    Add flour and cook gently for 2 mins.
    GRADUALLY(otherwise it will go lumpy)add the veg stock and allow to thicken each time.
    When all liquid has been added put tomatoes in season and simmer for 10 mins.
    Liquidize and freeze.
    I freeze in plastic containers when frozen take out (run under hot tap for a few secs to help) and place in plastic bag,so in effect you have a big tomato soup ice cube.
    HTH
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 28th Sep 04, 3:27 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    • 28th Sep 04, 3:27 PM
    • 28th Sep 04, 3:27 PM
    What about roasting in trays, cut in half or quarters. Sprinkle with herbs/spices, whatever you have handy, drizzle of olive oil. Bake about 30-40 mins. (Once cool, get rid of the skin.)
    Freeze. Then use in pasta/pizza, stews or soups.
  • apsie
    • 28th Sep 04, 6:15 PM
    • 28th Sep 04, 6:15 PM
    This is fab with mature cheddar, in sandwiches, with salads, and pretty easy too.

Fresh Tomato Chutney - makes 2 jars, keep in the fridge.

900g - 1kg tomatoes, chopped
    1 onion, peeled and chopped
    3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
    3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
    1 heaped tablespoon granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon of salt
    cayenne pepper - to taste, as hot as you like, I tend to use about half a teaspoon - medium spicy!

In a large pan, fry the onion in the oil until softened. Add all the other ingredients, stir well and cook uncovered on a medium-high heat for about 30 - 45mins, until the mixture looks fairly thick. Stir regularly throughout. Ladle into jars (one large or 2 smaller). Leave until cold then seal.

• mink35
    • 28th Sep 04, 6:22 PM
    • 28th Sep 04, 6:22 PM
    Make your own 'sun-dried' tomatoes. Chop in half/quarters depending on size of tomatoes. Bake in oven on low heat all day. Store in jars either on their own or in olive oil or olive oil with basil. Luvverly! Go lovely in fresh bread like this too. ;D
    • MimiJane
    • By MimiJane 28th Sep 04, 6:43 PM
    • 7,628 Posts
    • 49,803 Thanks
    MimiJane
    • 28th Sep 04, 6:43 PM
    • 28th Sep 04, 6:43 PM
    You lucky person! With all the publicity recently about how good tomatoes are for us (help prevent cancer, strokes, etc., if you eat 8 a day or more), your family should be extremely healthy!

• Js_Other_Half
    • By Js_Other_Half 28th Sep 04, 9:19 PM
    • 3,076 Posts
    • 2,314 Thanks
    Js_Other_Half
    • 28th Sep 04, 9:19 PM
    • 28th Sep 04, 9:19 PM
    Don't try and eat huge amounts in a short period of time if you can avoid it; I know a man who actually became so allergic to tomatoes that he developed arthritis - they had grown their own too.

• cathy
    • 28th Sep 04, 10:11 PM
    • 28th Sep 04, 10:11 PM
    http://www.freerecipe.org/Side_Dishes/Vegetables/Tomatoes/index.html

found this

knock yourself out ;D
  • silverlady
    • 29th Sep 04, 1:03 PM
    • 29th Sep 04, 1:03 PM
    Thanks everyone,
    Spent most of yesterday in the kitchen using all your ideas, well not all of Cathy's, there were quite a few!! but I'm sure I'll use some of them, thanks again.

MimiJane, sad to say my husband is not too well,he has asbestosis and then had a heart attack earlier this year so I try and grow fruit and veg, so we can eat a healthy diet to keep him/us as well as possible.
    • By 16011996 29th Sep 04, 1:10 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    sorry to hear about your husband, take care. and thanks for the thread, i have loads left over too.
  • silverlady
    I think I'll start getting lunch soon, Tomato soup I think ;D
    • MimiJane
    • By MimiJane 29th Sep 04, 1:21 PM
    • 7,628 Posts
    • 49,803 Thanks
    MimiJane
    Thanks everyone,
    Spent most of yesterday in the kitchen using all your ideas, well not all of Cathy's, there were quite a few!! but I'm sure I'll use some of them, thanks again.

MimiJane, sad to say my husband is not too well,he has asbestosis and then had a heart attack earlier this year so I try and grow fruit and veg, so we can eat a healthy diet to keep him/us as well as possible.
    Sorry to hear you're husband's not well and good for you growing your own fruit and veg ... he's lucky to have such a caring wife!

:-*
  • silverlady
    Hubby and I have been together over 30 years, I don't think I do anything special, we just care for each other the best way we can.
    • By 16011996 29th Sep 04, 2:38 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    no, you are. asbestosis is a terrible disease to live with, and you are a very brave and thoughtful lady. and 30 years is something to be very proud of.
  • silverlady
    awwww :-[ thanks 160
    • By 16011996 5th Oct 04, 4:57 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • blueknitter
    • By blueknitter 10th Oct 04, 1:44 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    blueknitter
    Re: TOOOOO Many Tomatoes, Help Pleasehttp://www.po
    Tomato marmalade : http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_07/tomato_marmalade.html

Very tasty.

Tomato preserves:
    http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,tomato_preserves,FF.html

Green tomato mincemeat:
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04274/387773.stm

Good to have going into the holidays.

HTH a bit.
    • N9eav
    • By N9eav 11th Aug 05, 5:34 PM
    • 4,671 Posts
    • 26,420 Thanks
    N9eav
    What to do with lots of tomatoes
    I have loads of Tom's ripenning at once. What can I do with them all? Any good tommy soup recipees? I made chutney last year, but I still have plenty of that. shame to waste them
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 11th Aug 05, 5:50 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    From the Cooking section of the MEGA Index...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=55331#post55331
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • N9eav
    • By N9eav 11th Aug 05, 5:54 PM
    • 4,671 Posts
    • 26,420 Thanks
    N9eav
    Did a search but came up with nothing, Obviously should have thought of harvest time 2004!
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,697Posts Today

8,287Users online

Martin's Twitter