Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • ic
    • By ic 22nd Aug 12, 2:18 PM
    • 2,660 Posts
    • 1,352 Thanks
    ic
    • 22nd Aug 12, 2:18 PM
    • 22nd Aug 12, 2:18 PM
    do price rises before winter surprise anybody any more? Up in autumn by lots, down a little in spring. Rinse-and-repeat...
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • RHYSDAD
    • By RHYSDAD 22nd Aug 12, 2:23 PM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 2,951 Thanks
    RHYSDAD
    • 22nd Aug 12, 2:23 PM
    • 22nd Aug 12, 2:23 PM
    Thank god for my woodburner and a plentiful supply of free wood....
    "Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

Chinese Proverb

• Basil1234
    • By Basil1234 22nd Aug 12, 2:54 PM
    • 1,123 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    Basil1234
    • 22nd Aug 12, 2:54 PM
    • 22nd Aug 12, 2:54 PM
    so the yearly up it goes starts how long before the others do now???

why can't we get some nuclear investment in the uk to make us all some cheap electric???
    • cally6008
    • By cally6008 22nd Aug 12, 3:06 PM
    • 7,516 Posts
    • 11,387 Thanks
    cally6008
    • 22nd Aug 12, 3:06 PM
    • 22nd Aug 12, 3:06 PM
    Good news for Ebico users ... Ebico are not putting prices up

• welshee
    • By welshee 22nd Aug 12, 3:10 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    welshee
    • 22nd Aug 12, 3:10 PM
    • 22nd Aug 12, 3:10 PM
    Good news for Ebico users ... Ebico are not putting prices up
    Originally posted by cally6008

not yet !!!!
    • cally6008
    • By cally6008 22nd Aug 12, 3:20 PM
    • 7,516 Posts
    • 11,387 Thanks
    cally6008
    • 22nd Aug 12, 3:20 PM
    • 22nd Aug 12, 3:20 PM
    Ebico Ltd

about an hour ago

We are aware that our supply partner, SSE plc, has announced that its energy prices will be rising with effect from the 15th October 2012. These increases do not apply to Ebico customers. The wholesale cost of energy has risen over recent months and the costs of, both, using the energy networks and meeting the Government’s social and environmental targets are increasing. However Ebico remains committed to keeping our customers’ energy costs as stable as we can for as long as we can, and we have no plans at present to increase the prices of EquiGas or EquiPower.

And even if they did put them up, it's one of those things you just have to deal with,

• apt
    • By apt 22nd Aug 12, 3:44 PM
    • 3,087 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    apt
    • 22nd Aug 12, 3:44 PM
    • 22nd Aug 12, 3:44 PM
    You know what 'we have no plans at present' means.
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 22nd Aug 12, 4:28 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    • 22nd Aug 12, 4:28 PM
    • 22nd Aug 12, 4:28 PM
    so the yearly up it goes starts how long before the others do now???

why can't we get some nuclear investment in the uk to make us all some cheap electric???
    Originally posted by Basil1234
    Because while the power itself is cheap, the cost of building the station, and perhaps more importantly the cost of looking after radioactive waste (and what to do with it!) certainly isn't!
    • gazzebo69
    • By gazzebo69 22nd Aug 12, 5:44 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    gazzebo69
    Sse
    I was toying with the idea of changing to EDF from SSE a few months ago when the fetched out the price promise. Worked out I would save about 50 quid. Not sure if I thought it was worth it. Todays decision by SSE has just swung it in the favour of EDF.

Was a no brainer a couple of months ago, its certainly a no brainer now. Am still thinking there must be a catch somewhere as especially as you can leave anytime, but I cant find one. Anyone know of a catch. At this rate, if my bills go up about 9%, then this EDF thingy is about 100 quid a year cheaper.
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 22nd Aug 12, 6:14 PM
    • 3,225 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    lets just be honest................there simply greedy b44stards
    • visidigi
    • By visidigi 22nd Aug 12, 7:28 PM
    • 5,710 Posts
    • 3,586 Thanks
    visidigi
    I was toying with the idea of changing to EDF from SSE a few months ago when the fetched out the price promise. Worked out I would save about 50 quid. Not sure if I thought it was worth it. Todays decision by SSE has just swung it in the favour of EDF.

Was a no brainer a couple of months ago, its certainly a no brainer now. Am still thinking there must be a catch somewhere as especially as you can leave anytime, but I cant find one. Anyone know of a catch. At this rate, if my bills go up about 9%, then this EDF thingy is about 100 quid a year cheaper.
    Originally posted by gazzebo69
    SSE just lost me as a customer - submitted a switch to EDF Blue - predicts £198 annual saving and £21 quid Top Cash Back through uSwitch.

TBH, I'd been lazy, I did do a EDF blue quote but just like you it wasnt worth the effort. Now though, SSE just keep pushing and its simply not worth it anymore...that £198 saving is before the hike too.
  • rchddap1
    Am with E.on and honestly not sure what to do. Is it worth fixing with them?
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 Now seemingly a normal little monster.
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
    • Dustykitten
    • By Dustykitten 22nd Aug 12, 8:48 PM
    • 16,409 Posts
    • 281,332 Thanks
    Dustykitten
    Today's news made me get on with my switch, going from EON Saveonline9 ending mid September to Scottish Power Fixed until Nov 2013.

Fingers crossed now for no hiccups and a nice little payout as we are in credit since EON took it upon themselves to up our DD when the previous figure worked out perfectly.

The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
    • A.Penny.Saved
    • By A.Penny.Saved 22nd Aug 12, 9:28 PM
    • 1,689 Posts
    • 881 Thanks
    A.Penny.Saved

Originally posted by gazzebo69
    Utterly crap billing system? I thought about EDF and decided it was not worth all the potential hassle. I went with Scottish Powers deal instead. Currently in the process of switching and I'm meant to be a SP customer as of Thursday.

I've just switched from SSE as well.

SSE are not usually so quick to raise their prices, they usually wait until the other suppliers have all announced their increases before doing anything.
    Last edited by A.Penny.Saved; 22-08-2012 at 9:30 PM.
  • Terrylw1
    Ebico Ltd

about an hour ago

We are aware that our supply partner, SSE plc, has announced that its energy prices will be rising with effect from the 15th October 2012. These increases do not apply to Ebico customers. The wholesale cost of energy has risen over recent months and the costs of, both, using the energy networks and meeting the Government’s social and environmental targets are increasing. However Ebico remains committed to keeping our customers’ energy costs as stable as we can for as long as we can, and we have no plans at present to increase the prices of EquiGas or EquiPower.

And even if they did put them up, it's one of those things you just have to deal with,
    Originally posted by cally6008
    Maybe, however once one supplier issues a press release about rises, other suppliers generate statements to stop all their customers calling them since "increase in wholesale price" affects them all.

Wait and see what they do over the next couple of months,
    It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!
    • actoplacto
    • By actoplacto 22nd Aug 12, 11:55 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    actoplacto
    I am coming to the end of my edf saver v2 , can i use uswitch.com to switch to edf blue ( ie the same company) and still get my £40 worth of wines?
    • rogerblack
    • By rogerblack 23rd Aug 12, 1:35 AM
    • 9,273 Posts
    • 9,438 Thanks
    rogerblack
    I am coming to the end of my edf saver v2 , can i use uswitch.com to switch to edf blue ( ie the same company) and still get my £40 worth of wines?
    Originally posted by actoplacto
    No.
    Don't wine about it.
    (sorry)
    • rogerblack
    • By rogerblack 23rd Aug 12, 1:37 AM
    • 9,273 Posts
    • 9,438 Thanks
    rogerblack
    Maybe, however once one supplier issues a press release about rises, other suppliers generate statements to stop all their customers calling them since "increase in wholesale price" affects them all.
    Originally posted by Terrylw1
    It really depends on how they buy their energy.
    If they buy largely on the spot market, then yes.
    If they've already locked in their prices, then no.
    Electricity companies can buy 'fixed' future contracts, just like we can.
    • rogerblack
    • By rogerblack 23rd Aug 12, 1:41 AM
    • 9,273 Posts
    • 9,438 Thanks
    rogerblack
    Am with E.on and honestly not sure what to do. Is it worth fixing with them?
    Originally posted by rchddap1
    Was/am also with Eon.

You don't get (typically) cashback, new customer bonuses, or anything if you stick with your existing supplier.

In general, go to uswitch.com (other switching sites are available), now enter your details, and find the cheapest suppliers after entering your usage details.

Then go to topcashback.co.uk (other...), and find out which suppliers are offering cashback, on what terms.

After doing this (I was also on Eon) the cheapest way for me for the next year (fix till Nov 13) was to do topcashback, to get 40 quid cashback.

And then as there is no cancellation fee, if, once the cashback is paid, I may look around again, and see if there is any other cashback available, rather than sticking till the end of the fix.

This process will take maybe 10 minutes, and may save you an additional 50 quid or more, over just switching.
    Last edited by rogerblack; 23-08-2012 at 1:45 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,549Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin