Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Special_Saver2
    • By Special_Saver2 21st Jun 07, 4:53 PM
    • 1,164Posts
    • 4,775Thanks
    Special_Saver2
    Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!
    • 21st Jun 07, 4:53 PM
    Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List! 21st Jun 07 at 4:53 PM
    The information from this post has now been moved to:
    Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Special Saver 2
    Last edited by Special_Saver2; 28-11-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Page 1
    • Lazy Runner
    • By Lazy Runner 21st Jun 07, 9:39 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    Lazy Runner
    • 21st Jun 07, 9:39 PM
    • 21st Jun 07, 9:39 PM
    Well done Special Saver 2

I vote to make this a sticky!
    If you are at a poker game and you cannot figure out who is the patsy then guess what...you're the patsy - Warren Buffet
  • RayWolfe
    • 22nd Jun 07, 8:45 AM
    • 22nd Jun 07, 8:45 AM
    First class piece of work. Well done and thanks.
    • steady__eddie
    • By steady__eddie 22nd Jun 07, 1:38 PM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 527 Thanks
    steady__eddie
    • 22nd Jun 07, 1:38 PM
    • 22nd Jun 07, 1:38 PM
    In the Too late ! Now closed to New Savers section, how about the Target Saver from Ipswich ?
    I have two months left to maturity on mine and had a browse through the T + Cs after reading this post. Under the section entitled, "What happens at the end of the year ?" is the following, "Unless otherwise notified, your Target Saver will remain open, so if you wish to, you can continue with your regular savings on the same terms for a further year."
    To the best of my knowledge, I haven't been "otherwise notified" and as the gross is still in the region of 8.45%, I think I may have another 12 months worth.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 22nd Jun 07, 1:58 PM
    • 8,755 Posts
    • 30,748 Thanks
    Primrose
    • 22nd Jun 07, 1:58 PM
    • 22nd Jun 07, 1:58 PM
    Great piece of research. Many thanks.
    • mary
    • By mary 22nd Jun 07, 2:25 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    mary
    • 22nd Jun 07, 2:25 PM
    • 22nd Jun 07, 2:25 PM
    In the Too late ! Now closed to New Savers section, how about the Target Saver from Ipswich ?
    I have two months left to maturity on mine and had a browse through the T + Cs after reading this post. Under the section entitled, "What happens at the end of the year ?" is the following, "Unless otherwise notified, your Target Saver will remain open, so if you wish to, you can continue with your regular savings on the same terms for a further year."
    To the best of my knowledge, I haven't been "otherwise notified" and as the gross is still in the region of 8.45%, I think I may have another 12 months worth.
    Originally posted by steady__eddie
    Just spoken to a knowledgeable CS rep at Ipswich in light of what you wrote.
    I have the 8.45% Target Saver, plus the 7.35 and 6.9 as well My last payment goes out on July 2st. At maturity they will notify you, but you can keep the SOs going but effectively it will become a second Target Saver 3 at 6.9%. It is only permitted for maturing accounts. In short you will have 2 x 6.9% accounts. However, you cannot walk in off the street and open up a 2nd account, it is only for those who already have a maturing account. Your lump sum of 3,000+ will automatically go into a Premier 30 account and you can take the money out, do what you want with it from then on.
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 22nd Jun 07, 2:39 PM
    • 7,806 Posts
    • 9,846 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    • 22nd Jun 07, 2:39 PM
    • 22nd Jun 07, 2:39 PM
    special saver 2 might like to note that ipswich BS dropped their locals only policy some time ago, pity cambridge BS wont follow suit

also of note anyone who is a member of leek BS or local to a leek BS branch can still open new Leek BS 1 year regular savers paying fixed 7.5% gross per year
  • kanchhelskis
    • 22nd Jun 07, 2:51 PM
    • 22nd Jun 07, 2:51 PM
    i agree with lazy runner this should be a sticky. well done.
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 22nd Jun 07, 7:08 PM
    • 3,054 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    • 22nd Jun 07, 7:08 PM
    • 22nd Jun 07, 7:08 PM
    Well done - sticky this.

Will need constant updating though
    • carpy
    • By carpy 23rd Jun 07, 11:28 AM
    • 890 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    carpy
    this is great!!

how many regular saver accounts do people have?

how many is it realistic to have?

i was thinking of opening a few more and funding them from my ICICI savings
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 23rd Jun 07, 12:12 PM
    • 7,806 Posts
    • 9,846 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan

how many regular saver accounts do people have?

how many is it realistic to have?
    Originally posted by carpy

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=477833
    • max2002ad
    • By max2002ad 24th Jun 07, 9:38 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    max2002ad
    Whats the best feeder account available at the mo?
    Ie high interest rate savings account that lets you do transfers to other accounts not just a nominated account.
    My Motto in Life:

Make Every Penny Count !!!!
    • Special_Saver2
    • By Special_Saver2 25th Jun 07, 11:14 AM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 4,775 Thanks
    Special_Saver2
    Feeder accounts
    I am interested in including something on feeder accounts for this thread, particularly as I can see that people have just posted a question about this in 3 separate threads.

At the moment, I am using a Coventry First account paying 6.10% but my first year bonus rate will end later this year and I am going to need to either reduce the amount that I am paying in to my regular savers or find a good feeder account.

I suppose I could close down the Coventry First account and re-open it to get another first year bonus. If I remember correctly, the terms and conditions on the Coventry First account say that they will keep the account open for a month after you ask them to close it so that all transactions are up-to-date when they close it. So you would have to wait a bit before closing and re-opening the account and they could always refuse to open a new account for you. Also, reopening the account would involve a credit check as there is an automatic 250 overdraft with the account. Have any of you closed and re-opened a Coventry First account? Was the hassle worth it?

The best account that I currently have is an old Cahoot savings account that I have not used in some time. I used to use it as a feeder account when it had a competitive interest rate and it worked very well, allowing me to make transfers directly without needing to transfer money to a current account first. That account is currently paying 5.50% gross AER.

Can any of you do better than that?

I am sure that you can! Post your answers here and I will incorporate it into the first post of this thread.

Let me also take this opportunity to thank bristolleedsfan again (who has pointed out the Bath, Leek United, Britannia, BMW accounts) and mary for post 6 above. I have now updated the first post in this thread to include the information from all the posts above including all the Ipswich information (have put it all into the last part of the Ipswich Target Saver 3 entry). I have also added a line in the introduction where I will thank people.
    • mary
    • By mary 25th Jun 07, 11:30 AM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    mary
    Coventry First. The 1 year excellent rate, cannot be repeated by closing and opening 1 month, or 3 months or whatever later. It is a once in a life time event! I'm in the same position, come August, when my anniversary is due. Been excellent. Originally I was told, there's nothing to stop you closing one day and opening a second one the next day, but upon further enquiry, that isn't apparently the case.
    • Special_Saver2
    • By Special_Saver2 25th Jun 07, 2:36 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 4,775 Thanks
    Special_Saver2
    Feeder Accounts
    Well, it sounds like Sainsbury's Bank might have the best account for a feeder account - I have just seen that many of you have already been discussing it here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=475213

Mary, thanks for your message above - it looks like I won't be able to rely on Coventry First once my first year runs out. I am glad I joined this forum!
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 25th Jun 07, 8:41 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    Just a small point about the HSBC regular saver.You must have your monthly salary or pension paid in to your current account in order to open this savings account.

My second issue is about to come to full term.As a very long standing member of the HSBC i can fully recommend this one.
  • jdavtz
    You can only pay up to £150 per month into the Skipton Christmas Saver according to their website.
    • Special_Saver2
    • By Special_Saver2 26th Jun 07, 7:55 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 4,775 Thanks
    Special_Saver2
    Thanks Froglet and jdavtz, have updated the first post of this thread with your info.
  • jdavtz
    Can we ask one of the mods to sticky this post like the Best Mini Cash ISA one is stickied in the ISAs forum?
    • mary
    • By mary 27th Jun 07, 2:50 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    mary
    Abbey RS Issue 6 now at 7.25%
    Better keep an eye on this one, as on Moneyfacts it's showing as 7.25%, but on Abbey's own website it's still 7%

http://www.moneyfacts.co.uk/searches/savingdetails.aspx?moneyfactsid=SAVINGS001159401On Maturity
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

868Posts Today

7,030Users online

Martin's Twitter