Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • jordanchaos
    • 17th Aug 12, 3:23 PM
    • 17th Aug 12, 3:23 PM
    I didn't realise it was totally acceptable to even haggle in a pharmacy in Egypt, it becomes a fun part of the game I still end up doing it now out of habit. Although, admittedly, not in a pharmacy..
  • kna
    • 14th Sep 12, 8:56 AM
    • 14th Sep 12, 8:56 AM
    I can't stand haggling (at least in the UK), everywhere I've tried it has been met with derision, contempt or sheer surprise that I'm even attempting it.

Buying cars, the salesman has always let me walk away rather than lower the price and I thought cars were always a sure-fire haggle win!

I haggle with car insurance/TV packages but it always feels a hollow victory as I know they've got rules meaning they can go a lot lower, so I don't feel like I'm haggling just pushing them to give me the proper price and not the inflated one.

How people accomplish it with any regularity in the UK, I'll never know.
    • Beetlemama
    • By Beetlemama 14th Sep 12, 9:35 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 2,417 Thanks
    Beetlemama
    • 14th Sep 12, 9:35 PM
    • 14th Sep 12, 9:35 PM
    Silliest thing I ever haggled was a red pepper on the market ("I've got 38p, will that do?") but the best is always Virgin, press "I'm thinking of leaving" and then tell them it's cheaper to leave and come back as a new customer. Our package went from £65 a month wired to £54 wireless with a speed upgrade.

I don't mind having a go at a lower price, but to be honest, I buy so few things new that I don't get the chance mostly, ASDA aren't in to haggling and most of the rest of the stuff I get in charities, and it seems a bit above and beyond to try to haggle a charity shop down, lol
    "There is no substitute for time."

Competition wins:
    2013. Three bottles of oxygen! And a family ticket to intech science centre. 2011. The Lake District Cheese Co Cow and bunny pop up play tent, cheese voucher, beach ball and cuddly toy cow and bunny and a £20 ToysRus voucher!
  • art_for_arts_sake
    • 15th Sep 12, 8:13 AM
    • 15th Sep 12, 8:13 AM
    I can't believe there are only 3 replies to this thread. Any true MSE will haggle, surely? I went in a gents' outfitters the other day and after trying on a few jackets the salesman offered me one jacket at a much reduced price as it was clearly more of a summer item. I was tempted but the jacket I liked better wasn't reduced. I kept my nerve and asked if I bought them both would he do a discount on the two. Result - a saving of about £65.
  • art_for_arts_sake
    • 15th Sep 12, 8:17 AM
    • 15th Sep 12, 8:17 AM
    Buying cars, the salesman has always let me walk away rather than lower the price and I thought cars were always a sure-fire haggle win!
    Originally posted by kna
    If you walk away you haven't lost, you only lose if you pay the full price.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,543Posts Today

8,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin