Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 15th Aug 12, 4:05 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Jobless total lowest for a year
    • 15th Aug 12, 4:05 PM
    MSE News: Jobless total lowest for a year 15th Aug 12 at 4:05 PM
    "Unemployment has fallen after a big jump in the number of people in work..."

Read the full story:
    Jobless total lowest for a year

Page 1
    • westv
    • By westv 15th Aug 12, 4:08 PM
    • 4,914 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    westv
    • 15th Aug 12, 4:08 PM
    • 15th Aug 12, 4:08 PM
    Also a record number of people in part time work - because they can't find full time work?
    • scooby088
    • By scooby088 15th Aug 12, 4:37 PM
    • 3,244 Posts
    • 3,568 Thanks
    scooby088
    • 15th Aug 12, 4:37 PM
    • 15th Aug 12, 4:37 PM
    Also a record number of people in part time work - because they can't find full time work?
    Originally posted by westv
    Part time work would suit me right now, but ideally want a full time job as money is the key.
  • shmeeko69
    • 15th Aug 12, 5:19 PM
    • 15th Aug 12, 5:19 PM

Read the full story:

Originally posted by MSE Helen
    They are also experts in manipulating figures and I don't think they include DLA as part of their analysis, so the true figure would be well over 3 million.
    Lao Tzu - "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime"

Derek Bok - "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"
  • dandelionclock30
    • 15th Aug 12, 5:24 PM
    • 15th Aug 12, 5:24 PM
    Well its all a bit of a swizz isnt it.
    Real figure is about 11.something million as there are 9 million economically inactive adults apart from those officially classed as unemployed.
  • trillion
    • 15th Aug 12, 5:28 PM
    The UK's biggest retailer (as well as some others, including one who sells burgers) have a current policy of only taking new starters on on 'flexible' contracts with (in the case of Tesco) as few as 7.5 'core' hours.
    The deal is that you are then offered further shifts as required, but with as little as 24 hours notice.

It looks fine, I suppose, until you take on board the fact that if you refuse more than 2 shifts (ever, not per week!) you're taken off for an 'informal meeting' which kicks off a disciplinary procedure, so it's not like you can even take another part time job on.

The effect on the employee is that they are expected to sit by the phone 24/7 on the offchance of a call, unable to make plans more than a day ahead.
    And Job Centres send people to apply for these 'jobs'!

The effect on the employer is that they've got a huge pool of people they can bring in at short notice and they have to pay minimal holiday pay.
    The effect on the unemployment figures is that 5 people are removed from the statistics when it really only amounts to one full time job.

Makes you wonder what's going to happen when Dave finally puts a stop to Gordon Brown's 'profligate' Tax credits.

• wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver
    • By wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver 15th Aug 12, 5:28 PM
    • 5,607 Posts
    • 10,481 Thanks
    wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver
    The Govt has manipulated the unemployment statistics for time immemorial so this is a political stunt mean't to induce us into thinking our economy is recovering when in fact it is like an alcoholic relapsing into it's old wealth depleting habits. Neoliberal exploitation and useless policies for the disabled and unemployed.
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    [B]Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
  • dandelionclock30
    • 15th Aug 12, 5:39 PM
    • 15th Aug 12, 5:39 PM
    Absolutley, theres very little round here and what there is is like 4 hours per week etc or 10 hour per week. What good is that to anybody apart from students? Its all a load of total rubbish.
    It would be more honest if the Government said 1/4 of all adults will stay on benefits for the forseeable future or take jobs that pay less than benefits and suck it up.
    Last edited by dandelionclock30; 15-08-2012 at 5:41 PM.
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 15th Aug 12, 5:44 PM
    • 1,660 Posts
    • 789 Thanks
    Mersey
    • 15th Aug 12, 5:44 PM
    • 15th Aug 12, 5:44 PM
    The JSA Claimant Count is largely static. It rose by 6,000 last month and down by 5,000 in today's figures.

But remember they're for April-June, so we have to wait 'til mid-October for August's figures.
  • falko89
    Interesting, the main headline on our local news was Unemployment rises for the 7th straight month.

They just said what I already knew, low skill based jobs are the worst affected, their is growth at the top of the ladder apparently.
    Last edited by falko89; 15-08-2012 at 6:40 PM.
    • CCFC_80
    • By CCFC_80 15th Aug 12, 6:54 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    CCFC_80
    The way the government manipulate figures is a joke. They don't count people out of work who are not eligible to claim JSA. The true figure out of work is probably around 5 million
    • 1940sGal
    • By 1940sGal 15th Aug 12, 7:13 PM
    • 2,315 Posts
    • 5,338 Thanks
    1940sGal
    Part time work would suit me right now, but ideally want a full time job as money is the key.
    Originally posted by scooby088
    Hear Hear!
  • MissSarah1972

Read the full story:

Originally posted by MSE Helen
    Only means the level of JSA claimants has decreased not that they all have jobs at all
    • rogerblack
    • By rogerblack 15th Aug 12, 10:20 PM
    • 9,273 Posts
    • 9,438 Thanks
    rogerblack
    They are also experts in manipulating figures and I don't think they include DLA as part of their analysis, so the true figure would be well over 3 million.
    Originally posted by shmeeko69
    DLA is not an out-of-work benefit.
    I am unable to find good numbers on the DWP site, despite a few minutes of searching.
    Certainly over 10% of working age claimants of DLA work.
    I am attempting to become one of them myself.

The change over to PIP and the reduction in eligibility for DLA will mean that some people will not be able to afford to continue working.
    Last edited by rogerblack; 15-08-2012 at 10:24 PM.
  • hamster2
    People aren't claiming benefit because they are working part time or are doing work experience.

I qualified as a teacher 6 years ago, but can not get a full time job. Next year I will be working 4 days a week on a contarct. 4 days a week is better than none. I am lucky, many experienced teachers are being forced out of the job market because they are too expensive relative to a newly qualified teacher.

I have 2 children just left Uni with good degrees and a host of A grades at A level and GCSE. One works 13 hours a week and the other 11 in a shop with some overtime. The contracted hours are just enough to keep them off benefits! The overtime they are grateful for.

They are both also doing work experience, working on projects that require considerable skills and will hopefuly improve their CVs. They are fortunate that they can fit this in around their part time work and the company pays a small amount of expenses that helps with transport costs and feeds them (many are not so lucky). They are both keen and talk with enthusiasm about 'going to work'. They also both work really hard, juggling commitments and searching and applying for 'real jobs'. If young people are doing work experience, they can not claim benefit as they are not available for work, so will not appear in the statistics. It has been proven that work experience is looked for by employers when considering applicants for posts.

It is hard for me to manage on less money, but I really feel sorry for young people.

I hope 'underemployment' and 'work experience' are going to get a lot of press.
    • subway98
    • By subway98 16th Aug 12, 7:25 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    subway98
    People on JSA who are in a couple, with one working other not. Will only get 6 months of JSA Conts. Then nothing because they cant go onto income based.
    ESA claimants- NOT COUNTED
    IS lone parents- not counted
    DLA ONLY Claimants not counted.
    Only ones counted are actual people signing on, so you go off the radar after 6 months. Oh and also claimants who are sanctioned for a few weeks when these figures are given, are also not counted.
    Its all figure fixing to make economy look good. I should know. I work for them!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

2,066Users online

Martin's Twitter