Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 14th Aug 12, 5:56 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: PPI reclaiming getting easier
    • 14th Aug 12, 5:56 PM
    MSE News: PPI reclaiming getting easier 14th Aug 12 at 5:56 PM
    "Providers have improved the PPI reclaiming process, following a campaign by MSE and Which?..."

Read the full story:
    PPI reclaiming getting easier

Page 1
  • julesk123
    • 15th Aug 12, 4:56 PM
    • 15th Aug 12, 4:56 PM
    advice and help please ....... my bank as made me an offer on the PPI that I paid years ago the only problem is its alot lower than the PPI that I paid. can I negosiate (sorry spellings not my strong point) and how? or is their offer the best I can get, thanks
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 15th Aug 12, 6:20 PM
    • 9,114 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    • 15th Aug 12, 6:20 PM
    • 15th Aug 12, 6:20 PM
    "The Ombudsman figures show identical 81% success rates for DIY claims and for those who use claims firms, where the person took the case to the independent arbitrator.

The banks' figures are based on 800,000 cases, which suggest DIY claimants were 3% more successful than those who go via claims companies."

Where is PPIdisgrace now?
  • uptheiron
    • 15th Aug 12, 10:25 PM
    ppi reclaiming getting easier
    • 15th Aug 12, 10:25 PM
    I am currently trying to reclaim ppi on an old loan which was with A + Leicester. I do not have account details, but have payment dates and amounts including final cheque payment to finish the loan. I am dealing with Santander, who are proving to be a lot less than helpful, hiding behind the six year rule! The loan was repaid in May 2001 and my own current account details can only be accessed back to August of that year. Has anybody got any suggestions how i might take this further.
  • Rum_Raisin
    • 15th Aug 12, 10:40 PM
    • 15th Aug 12, 10:40 PM
    I am currently trying to reclaim ppi on an old loan which was with A + Leicester. I do not have account details, but have payment dates and amounts including final cheque payment to finish the loan. I am dealing with Santander, who are proving to be a lot less than helpful, hiding behind the six year rule! The loan was repaid in May 2001 and my own current account details can only be accessed back to August of that year. Has anybody got any suggestions how i might take this further.
    Originally posted by uptheiron
    Don't give up fighting. My cousin has the same problem with Barclays and Santander. I received negative responses from Tesco Bank and Barclays. I have submitted forms to the Financial Ombudsman for their assessment of my cases. Tesco and Barclays say they cannot find any trace of my loan accounts or credit card info. With Barclays I gave them account numbers and still not trace. Don't let the 6 year rule put you off as I've read we can claim up to 15 years and the banks know it. I've been successful with RBS and no problems at all.

Some banks don't just want to pay out and knowing they are in the wrong.
    Last edited by Rum_Raisin; 15-08-2012 at 10:43 PM.
  • patmac
    • 16th Aug 12, 3:57 PM
    reclaiming PPI
    • 16th Aug 12, 3:57 PM
    In 2003 or 2004 I took out a personal loan with Homebase. I believed that Barclays provided this loan. When I phoned their PPI Dept I was told to write a letter containing as much detail as possible and send it in. I did this six weeks ago, (proof of posting) but have still not had an acknowledgement. On phoning, at least ten times this week, I have been passed from pillar to post. I don't have the paperwork any longer, but I know exactly when the loan finished. Barclays can't find any trace of my account. In fact they don't think that they provided the loans at that date. The direct debit was paid to ARG Personal loans. How can I find out who to make a claim against?
  • uptheiron
    • 16th Aug 12, 5:29 PM
    • 16th Aug 12, 5:29 PM
    Thanks Rum. I called Santander again today regarding the loan that was repaid in 2001.Told them that i did not have a policy number but had payment amounts and dates. Gave them name, d.o.b. and address. They could not find anything because it was past the 6 years, but very likely it would be stored in their archives. Finally getting somewhere, i thought, until the advisor said that everything in the archives was stored under account / policy number and that without this they could not find any details. The annoying thing is they have alredy paid out on a more recent loan ( 2006 ), you would have thought that my name, d.o.b. and address would bring up all accounts i have held with them. My experience with Santander is certainly not telling me that the banks are making it easier to reclaim ppi, as stated in an article on this site. But i will not give in and going to approach the ombudsman, with all the information i have, to see if there is any way i can stop them from hiding behind the 6 year rule!
    On a different note, well done to HFC Bank who have agreed to refund me 3,500 on a policy dating from 1996,although i did have the documents for this.
    My message is that reclaiming ppi is not always easy, and some organisations are purposely making it difficult, despite what they are saying publicly!
  • snickersalive
    • 21st Aug 12, 12:02 PM
    • 21st Aug 12, 12:02 PM
    I paid PPi on 3 HFC loans and sent a copy of the agreements (which clearly state we paid PPI) with the claim form. They're now asking for a copy of every payment made as it's from more than 6 yrs ago. I don't have them and can't get them from my bank. I do have a settlement statement for one of the accounts. What are my options? Are HFC just being difficult?
  • Burr
    • 28th Aug 12, 3:03 PM
    • 28th Aug 12, 3:03 PM
    Tried to get some help finding out an old loan agreement number from Homebase today, without any joy. Was told by the call taker that loan details would not be saved with customer services or available to them for security reasons. When I asked what department I should contact she said there wasnt one?!
    She said I would have to contact the 3rd party bank that provided the loan, but I do not know who that was as all my dealings were with Homebase.
    The only thing she would give me was their Customer Relations address to write to, she stated they do not have a telephone number or email address.
    Is there any point in continuing as they obviously are determined to give me the run around and it was ten years ago, so probably not covered.
    If I can find out through my own bank who supplied the loan, would it be better to contact that supplier?

Thanks for any advice!
    • Zoee
    • By Zoee 21st May 13, 7:35 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Zoee
    Phone number for claiming PPI on an ex MBNA loan
    I too attempted to claim back possible PPI on a loan taken out in 2005 (Thank you Martin for the encouragement!)

I used the number given for MBNA in this thread: How to find out if you've had PPI and went around in circles with an automated machine as well as finding out that it's a telephone number for open MBNA accounts

As my MBNA account is now closed and for any of you with an ex MBNA loan PPI query, like meself, here's an updated (May 2013) direct telephone number that I used today and got to speak with a human straight away:

0800 389 9100

Sadly, I was advised over the phone that "there's none on your ex loan and sending the paperwork for you to see for yourself within 10 working days"

So there maybe no PPI claim for me, however, this MBNA loan number may give good news for you.

Zoee
  • Barneyrubble
    Rocklaw
    I have had several phonecalls from the Rocklaw company. They told me I had been misold ppi several times. To cut a long story short they said I was owed around 7.500 but they wanted me to 495 on my credit card which would be refunded later on. How do they get this information about me. When I said I did not agree to the payment they said they could not process any further. Now im wondering am I owed any money????
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 7th Oct 14, 3:40 PM
    • 9,114 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    They are in Swansea.

It seems that everything from Swansea is a scam.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 7th Oct 14, 4:06 PM
    • 7,399 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I have had several phonecalls from the Rocklaw company. They told me I had been misold ppi several times. To cut a long story short they said I was owed around 7.500 but they wanted me to 495 on my credit card which would be refunded later on. How do they get this information about me. When I said I did not agree to the payment they said they could not process any further. Now im wondering am I owed any money????
    Originally posted by Barneyrubble
    It's just an attempt at "advance fee fraud" - they take your money on the promise of big later, maybe do some work, maybe not, close the company and keep your cash - when you try and get your fee back the company doesn't exist any more and they are operating under a new name.

Legitimate PPI companies (who you should NOT use) will get a cut of any refund you get so do not need any money up front.

If you have a PPI claim then put it in yourself for free
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 7th Oct 14, 4:15 PM
    • 98,332 Posts
    • 66,588 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Originally posted by Barneyrubble
    They dont. Its a scam.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • dipsy
    • By dipsy 8th Jul 15, 10:19 AM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 9,711 Thanks
    dipsy
    mbna
    Finally got around on ringing MBNA about missold PPI, they have said they will come back to me by the 24th July and this will be passed to their insurance company.

Is this the normal process?

thanks in advance
    2007 1749
    2008 291.99
    2009 JanMasscara 7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 20 XFactor tkts x 2 58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation 7.99
    total so far for 09 92.99
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 8th Jul 15, 10:46 AM
    • 98,332 Posts
    • 66,588 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Finally got around on ringing MBNA about missold PPI, they have said they will come back to me by the 24th July and this will be passed to their insurance company.

Is this the normal process?

thanks in advance
    Originally posted by dipsy
    It is normal for them to acknowledge a complaint, then look into the complaint and then respond at a future time.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,486Posts Today

6,254Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin