Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 23rd May 05, 1:50 PM
    • 1,476Posts
    • 826Thanks
    Cullumpster
    Veggies .........or not ?
    • 23rd May 05, 1:50 PM
    Veggies .........or not ? 23rd May 05 at 1:50 PM
    Hello all,

right my dilemma (which i've mentioned many times before) is my B/f

Mr i don't like the look of that therefore i won't eat it !

Anyway, he's been getting better at eating veggies but still wont eat them if he can see then, which leaves me to blend everything, which is fine.
    He knows that he has to have his 5 fruit and veg portions a day and he knows i blend stuff into the dinner, but he still says he can taste them and doesn't enjoy the meal as much.

He will eat :
    Processed peas
    potatoes ( any kind )
    tomatoes (tinned as he can't see/taste them )
    onions, raw and cooked, i've mangaged to get him addicted to them
    other stuff as well but that's about it on the veggie side of it, although he will eat my HM veggie soups and loves them :confused:

Is there anything i can (ahem) put into his meals that a. he won't spot and b. he wont taste ?

Or any recipies that i can try?

Once i do it once and get away with it he's fine and will eat the meal again, it's just that initial first time.

thanks
Page 1
  • Galtizz
    • 23rd May 05, 2:10 PM
    • 23rd May 05, 2:10 PM
    Was going to suggest THIS thread, but I guess you must have tried all of the ideas on there.

Courgettes are good for hiding. Peel them and them grate them. You won't have to blend them either.

I was cooking pasta bol. last night and I thought how much grated carrott looked like grated red cheese (like red leicester) you could try adding grated carrott to stuff then, just before you serve it add some grated cheese and mix it in and tell him it's cheese, then gradually reduce the amount of cheese until it is all carrott.

Food colouring, I know it's very against old style but could you try adding brown food colouring (or gravy) to meals to make it look like it's all meat? You could make mashed potato with 1/2 pots and 1/2 swede or cabbage or... (there must be lots of other ideas) then mixing a little bit of gravy so that it all goes brown, then cover it with more gravy.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 23rd May 05, 2:14 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 23rd May 05, 2:14 PM
    • 23rd May 05, 2:14 PM
    Oddly enough... there might well be a thread in the Families Board about how to get their children to eat veggies. Imeantersay... just 'cos he's wearing size ten boots...
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • Bendybops19
    • 23rd May 05, 2:15 PM
    • 23rd May 05, 2:15 PM
    Hehehe it sounds like trying to get a child to eat their veggies!

Hmmm...hows about putting chopped up vegatables inside a chicken breast and then smoothering melted cheese on top? (cut in in half and 'stuff!') And then wrapping bacon round? I find it yummy

Has he tried roasted vegatables? My bf hates anything healthy with a passion!! But i've managed to get him to eat roasted veggies, he's says that they apparently taste better and dont look too healthy!! :rolleyes:

I also make home made pizzas (i say home made...what i really mean is buy the base and do the toppings haha!) and hide things like really small cut up mushrooms and some sweetcorn under the cheese then put loads of onions on top! Half the time he doesnt even realise there were the vegatables there

Hth! Maybe look up childrens recipes on google or something?

Does he take supplements to make up for it?

I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers

• cristin
    • 23rd May 05, 2:46 PM
    • 23rd May 05, 2:46 PM
    Have you ever tried covering different types of veggies in a batter and frying them? - like onion rings - if he can't "see" that it is a veg he is eating he might just like it - my 4 year old won't eat onions unless they are onion rings and she loves those with ketchup. So maybe you could try

1) dipping diff veg in batter and deep frying them (very unheathly but lovely)or

2) dipping diff veg in egg, covering in breadcrumbs and deep/frying them or

3) covering them in a tempura batter - I think the japanese do this with their veg - very easy to make apparently, but I have never made it - and you guessed it frying the veg in oil!

HTH
    • Trow
    • By Trow 23rd May 05, 2:55 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Trow
    • 23rd May 05, 2:55 PM
    • 23rd May 05, 2:55 PM
    LOL - I was speaking to my other half about my meal plan - first time I have done one as until now haven't had the time to get organised. His comments?

'I suppose it sounds ok. I would be happy with a mars bar and a paket of crisps' - when I say 'but thats not a meal' he says 'it is to me'.

I can fully sympathise! Although I have to say he's not bad at eating what he gets, and he knows better than to complain!
    • mrcow
    • By mrcow 23rd May 05, 2:56 PM
    • 14,427 Posts
    • 30,435 Thanks
    mrcow
    • 23rd May 05, 2:56 PM
    • 23rd May 05, 2:56 PM
    If he likes onions, try mixing them wth leeks. You treat them in exactly the same way as you would onions, ie. fry them up quickly and then add them to dishes, soups or even into mash (leek and onion cheesey mash potato is lovely). He won't even notice that they are in there as they don't have a strong taste, especially if combining with onion.

I often add frozen sweetcorn into dishes, he'll be able to see it, but the taste IMO is negligable.

BTW....baked beans count towards your 5 a day.

Edit......big tip with leeks - always cut them up small
  • Queenie
    • 23rd May 05, 4:54 PM
    • 23rd May 05, 4:54 PM
    Good old fashioned saying: "Like it, or lump it!" Sorry, that's how I was brought up and there are only 2 things in this world I cannot stomach! (Lemon meringue pie and cider :confused: )

Anyway I can truly empathise because when I married my dh he would *only* eat: meat, potatoes, tinned carrots and tinned peas!

I have sucessfully *hidden* diced parsnips/swede in with casseroles (they take on the meaty flavour with long cooking - not slow cooker though, because that method doesn't melt the veggies the same way)

My dh won't touch onions, so I blitz those in the food processor.

It's a time and patience thing really - you begin by adding a little (like the mash and swede idea) and then gradually increase the ratio until he's "accustomed" to it.

I make meatloaves and *hide* finely grated carrots/courgettes in them so that he doesn't know they are there. Also, finely chopped mushrooms.

I make carrot cakes with a lemon icing (he's big on cakes/goodies )

I'll have to have a longer think and then come back to you on this ... but do remember - our "tastes" change as we age .. so, just because he doesn't think he likes something today ... he may well do in 3yrs time
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • tru
    • By tru 23rd May 05, 5:05 PM
    • 8,766 Posts
    • 46,862 Thanks
    tru
    • 23rd May 05, 5:05 PM
    • 23rd May 05, 5:05 PM
    I hid shredded cabbage in my last batch of spag bol, no-one noticed
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 23rd May 05, 5:08 PM
    • 20,549 Posts
    • 34,343 Thanks
    Spendless
    cullumpster- I know I've answered you before about your OH. Did you say he liked takeaways? What about veg that is not the normal cabbage/carrots type?

Would he eat a chinese spring roll for example? If so then you know he likes beansprouts and could do a stir-fry.

What about a curry? Chicken saag (spinach) for example.

My 5 year old son is starting to get better (and is trying more veg at school).

We decided to risk it the other day after he'd just eaten and enjoyed a bhaji and told him there was onion (that he doesn't like according to him) in it and he was fine about it
  • Lillibet
    Try repalcing any white based sauce in meals with pureed sweetcorn. I have recently discovered this trick, not only is it a lot less faffy to make than a white sacuse (assuming you make it from scratch) it is much lower in fat. You can add parsley/white wine/pepper/onion/cheese/bread etc as you usually would to your white sauce base.

Puree sweetcorn (tinned/defrosted/fresh) in a blender with water until you reach sauce consistancy. If in a hurry use frozen with boiling water but this can leave the skins visable.

So far I know it works in : Fish pie (yummy), lasagne, pasta bakes, over pasta, bread sauce with roast turkey, white wine sauce over chicken, balck pepper sacue with steak & Mexican casserole (which actually calls for pureed sweetcorn & is hwere I got the idea from)

An easy way to get one portion of veg into the daily diet

HTH
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 24th May 05, 8:26 AM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    Thanks for the ideas guys i'll keep trying !

yes he does like takeaways but he won't eat stir fry ( Tried that

I've managed to sneak finely chopped peppers and mushrooms in things, i don't personaly like the taste of sweetcorn either but i'll give it a bash and see what he thinks.

His kids are the complete opposite (Thank goodness) they love any sort of veg and eat more of them than the main meals, so i've done the whole 'i like them and so do your kids so it's going in the dinners' but i always have to chop things so finely that you can't see them!

I might try lentils (Is it the red or yellow ones that are supposed to look like mince?) but i've never eaten them either so that should be a fun experiment

the only problem i'm finding is that because i cant *bulk* the meals out i can only get say and extra 2 meals out of a 1lb of meat so i'm goinng to start being rutheless (Evil smiley grin)

Oh and i forgot, any type of pasta is a no no his spag bol is with noodles what the difference is i don't know but it makes him feel better bless him
    Last edited by Cullumpster; 24-05-2005 at 8:28 AM.
    • moggins
    • By moggins 24th May 05, 8:30 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    Blimey Cullumpster, you have my sympathy. I thought my dh was bad not eating cooked cheese.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
    • Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 24th May 05, 8:33 AM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    lol that's about all he'll eat !!

Oh i forgot no Pork or Lamb allowed either
  • Galtizz
    I don't like pork or lamb, unless it's done in the slow cooker. It is so soft in there it just melts in the mouth.

You could try using lamb mince in the slow cooker and gradually using bigger bits of lamb in lots of sauces to disguise it.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
    • Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 24th May 05, 9:02 AM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    Thanks Galtizz but if i tricked him with that he'd go mad

We went a party once and they had chilli (Which he doesn't like ) and a curry which he does

Anyway he had a plate of *beef* curry adn was so impressed he had another plate..........until he saw the sign next to it in big letters saying LAMB CURRY

he then promptly ran into the loo and was sick !
    • Marmiter
    • By Marmiter 24th May 05, 9:43 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    Marmiter
    I read in my GI book (from the Freebies section!!) that hummus can be counted as one of the 5 a day.

So if you can find a way of sneaking that in somewhere ..... how about kebabs? you could spread a little hummus inside some pitta breads (wholemeal if he eats them!) and put some meat in with a little bit of salad.
    • Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 24th May 05, 9:47 AM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    OOhh i may try that, what is Hummus? is that the fish egg one cause i won't eat that either if it is :confused:
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 24th May 05, 9:59 AM
    • 20,549 Posts
    • 34,343 Thanks
    Spendless
    Thanks Galtizz but if i tricked him with that he'd go mad

We went a party once and they had chilli (Which he doesn't like ) and a curry which he does

Anyway he had a plate of *beef* curry adn was so impressed he had another plate..........until he saw the sign next to it in big letters saying LAMB CURRY

by Cullumpster
    Cullumpster -does that mean he did like the taste but it was the thought of eating lamb that made him sick?

Good luck -he'd have driven me nuts by now!
  • cristin
    Anyway he had a plate of *beef* curry and was so impressed he had another plate..........until he saw the sign next to it in big letters saying LAMB CURRY

by Cullumpster
    Goodnees Cullumpter, what an uphill struggle you have! If I had been in your position I would have given up a long time ago as your b/f sounds very set in his ways and just bought him a really good multivitamin tablet to take instead! I speak from experience - I am a veggie and hubby is not. He could not get me to eat meat no matter how much he hid it/pureed/disguised it and I could not/did not want to convert him to a total vegetarian diet. You could try going on strike for a month and not shopping or cooking and see what he comes up with for a change or simply get him involved with cooking as he is less likely to always turn his nose up when he sees how much time and effort goes into preparing a hm meal!

BTW what does he think goes into your veg soups?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,597Posts Today

7,803Users online

Martin's Twitter