Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 7th Aug 12, 1:01 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Energy prices outlook - time to fix?
    • 7th Aug 12, 1:01 PM
    MSE News: Energy prices outlook - time to fix? 7th Aug 12 at 1:01 PM
    "There are fears the price of energy could jump later this year, which has prompted some experts to urge worried households to consider fixing their gas and electricity prices ..."

Page 1
  • Plushchris
    • 7th Aug 12, 2:27 PM
    • 7th Aug 12, 2:27 PM
    So three experts commented, only one goes on to say they think there will definately be price rises and which one is it?

Oh yeah, the new owners of the site...

That explains the headline then...
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently!
    • shadowspy24
    • By shadowspy24 7th Aug 12, 3:01 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    shadowspy24
    • 7th Aug 12, 3:01 PM
    • 7th Aug 12, 3:01 PM
    I think it's a good time to fix as winter's coming up so prices are only headed in one direction and it won't take long for the energy companies to pass on these rises onto the customer blaming wholesale costs etc. However if by some miracle prices do fall, it's bloody unlikely that the energy companies are gonna pass on the cuts saying that they buy the energy in advance and therefore it will take six months to pass on a 1% cut.

So when my tariff runs out in a couple of weeks I will definitely be fixing.
    • mirabelle
    • By mirabelle 7th Aug 12, 3:07 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    mirabelle
    • 7th Aug 12, 3:07 PM
    Fixing with Scottish Power
    • 7th Aug 12, 3:07 PM
    I've fixed with Scottish Power because my Eon Save Online 9 has finished and this was the next best deal at 8% increase, no cancellation fees, so free to move to a better deal if it comes up. This deal is one of the best on the market at the moment.
  • YoYoY
    • 7th Aug 12, 3:52 PM
    • 7th Aug 12, 3:52 PM
    So three experts commented, only one goes on to say they think there will definately be price rises and which one is it?

Oh yeah, the new owners of the site...

That explains the headline then...
    Originally posted by Plushchris
    He who pays the piper...
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 7th Aug 12, 7:46 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 7th Aug 12, 7:46 PM
    • 7th Aug 12, 7:46 PM
    I've fixed with Scottish Power because my Eon Save Online 9 has finished and this was the next best deal at 8% increase, no cancellation fees, so free to move to a better deal if it comes up. This deal is one of the best on the market at the moment.
    Originally posted by mirabelle
    It's very odd. E.On hasn't had a competitive deal since SaveOnline 9. It's like they have given up trying to get customers on price. Do they go into pubs and blackjack them into signing up for HMS E.On?

On the other hand, what with FixOnline 4, 6, 8 and SaveOnline 9,
    I must have been rather unprofitable for them. Perhaps they are just waiting for me to jump ship.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 7th Aug 12, 8:56 PM
    • 5,397 Posts
    • 5,024 Thanks
    thescouselander
    • 7th Aug 12, 8:56 PM
    • 7th Aug 12, 8:56 PM
    Gas prices are tanking over in the US (as evidenced by the performance of my BG Group shares) so its quite possible the outlook for energy prices could be on the down side.

Still not sure whether to fix or go for another type of deal when our EDF fix ends in September. It might be a good idea to avoid deals that would lock you in though.
    Last edited by thescouselander; 07-08-2012 at 9:03 PM.
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 7th Aug 12, 8:59 PM
    • 10,031 Posts
    • 2,986 Thanks
    chanz4
    • 7th Aug 12, 8:59 PM
    • 7th Aug 12, 8:59 PM
    Okay yes go fix, everyone follows like sheep. However for example fix now at a higher rate say 10p a unit, and say it doesn't go up until say November. So between now and November your paying a higher rate for your units, who saves you or the supplier....answer is the supplier.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

83Posts Today

1,225Users online

Martin's Twitter