Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2012 Holy majoly, where has the year gone?!?!?!?!!?

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the:
    July 2012 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    By request, here is Spiggles wonderful helpful post

We all have different budgets that suit our households. The most important thing to remember is that you set yours according to your needs and finances. It can take time to get to where you want to be too so don't knock yourself out if you go over in the first few months. We are here to support each other and it is not a competition.

I thought it might help to outline where we've come from and the top tips I've learned.

When we started in March 2010 we had spent in excess of £600 in the previous month. This had to stop, (there's only me and him and our two beautiful black cats) something which thankfully my OH completely agreed with so I have been lucky that he has been on board from the start. He gave me his debit card voluntarily and I still keep hold of it until he needs to get something for the home. At the same time we set up a system of pocket money (pm) at £15 each per week which doesn't count towards the GC and which we can each spend as we wish with no comebacks or complaints. OH predominantly uses his pm on his beer and I ferret mine away mostly.

The next step was to set up my own spreadsheet which is absolutely simple onto which I put all spends so that I have a continuous running total for the month and for the year. We initially set our budget at £280 per month and brought it down to £240 where it resides for most of the year it is occasionally increased to allow for extras e.g. Christmas to £260.

The important 'tools' we found greatly helped and continue to do so now are:

Stocktake cupboards, fridge, freezer - make lists and ensure that the older products get used up first. You'll be amazed at what you find squirrelled away and it will help with your shopping list as you'll realise that you don't actually need so much.

Before you go shopping check staples - running out of milk, bread, butter, etc often leads to going into a shop for one thing and coming out £20 lighter. Always check these and if they'll run out tomorrow buy them the same time as getting other things.

Always make a shopping list and stick to it - the supermarkets (sm) try every which way to get us to spend so having a list and strong resolve is the only way to beat them.

Keep every receipt - and then note it down on your spreadsheet/spend diary so that you always know where you are.

When tempted, ask yourself do you NEED it or just WANT it - now this advice goes with two things. Firstly, the things you see in store when shopping that APPEAR to be bargains - if you hadn't planned spending the money then its not a bargain. Secondly, the sm send us loads of vouchers for £X off a spend of £XX - if you had no NEED to spend £XX then have you SAVED anything???

Use my supermarket to compare prices (limited to four of the biggies) - The site may be used to actually do an online shop at whichever of the big four offers the best value or, if you have the time and sm availability, to make up lists for visiting each of the stores so that you can purchase all you need at different stores thus getting the best possible value. (I'd add, do a 'shop' virtually on this site and take the list you create on it with you, whichever one you shop at, it will help keep target prices in your head and allow you to spot bargains. MrM is not included but you can do a virtual list on their website so you know what you're going to be spending.)

Always have a list - this is just as important when shopping online as shopping on foot.

Use Approved Foods online (with a list!) - if you don't mind out of date things (ood) or you can search for only in date items. The only drawback is storing the goods as far as I can tell. Oh, and watch the delivery as it's done on a scaled charge for weight so keep an eye on it. You can of course do an AF order with friends, family, colleagues or like minded neighbours. Other GCers use Big Br*nds 4 Less too.

Invest in a breadmaker - we have saved so much by making our own bread. The prices in the shops are extortionate for bread these days. There's loads of advice on this thread and others in the forum on this.

Use the recipe lists - always posted at the front of a new thread. There are fantastic, tasty, healthy and economical recipes to use on them and there are a number of other threads on the forum such as Weezl's that will help you to eat well on a budget.

Shop locally - the local greengrocer (or preferably market but I don't have one ) is usually cheaper as an option for fruit and veg (f&v) than the sm. Often the prices may look the same but when you look at the quantity for the same price the greengrocer will be cheaper. The same goes for the local butcher. Often you will have far more variety of meat available, advice on how to cook a particular meat can be offered and there is (for me at least) no comparison in terms of quality. We buy our huge FR eggs there and I'm yet to find an equivalent FR egg in a sm at the same or lower price. Obvioulsy if you have your own chicks/know someone who has chicks you can get them even cheaper again.

Grow your own - it's quite simple to grow some f&v at home even if it's only in pots on the patio. There are also supportive threads on the forum for this.

Cook your own - making meals at home from ingredients is far more economical, often tastes better than shop bought and is probably far better healthwise.

Meal Plan - this is something that others can advise on as we don't do it. I have a tremendous capacity for eating the same food over many days but presented in slightly different form. For example, we could buy £7 worth of brisket from the butchers and eat it as pot roast for a couple of days, sliced for sarnies, sliced with a salad, chucked into a casserole or shredded up and fried as crispy beef.

Don't waste food - either only make what you need or use any leftovers for other meals/creations or freeze it for another day.

Withdraw the cash you want to spend - and keep it in a separate purse. This can be particularly effective as you have the money in front of you reducing rather than spending with plastic which is so easy to lose track of. Very useful when you first start out.

Don't go to the shops to browse - this can only lead to pain and hardship!!!

Keep posting and reading the thread - there really is no better supportive, wise and inspirational place to be! I think I saw that somebody mentioned forgetting to read/post. I get around this by using the Advanced button to post, below the window where your text is displayed you will see Additional Options. In the Thread Subscription box use the dropdown to select either instant email notification (this is what I use) or daily email notification before you submit your latest post. Then you will get an email into your inbox from which you can click to the thread to see what others are saying.

Always remember the sm is not your friend - it wants to profit from you and take as much of your money as it can coerce out of you!

So, there you go as a starting point. Others on here will offer tremendous advice on meal planning. And don't forget, the only silly question is the one you didn't ask!

See you all later,
    Spigs
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 #6 and #7 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #8 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 22-07-2012 at 11:49 AM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 20
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 5th Aug 12, 9:08 AM
    • 3,412 Posts
    • 34,917 Thanks
    XSpender
    Hugs to you Jasmin10 - My DH spent money on carp again yesterday and scoffed nearly all the ham I was hoping would last into next week. I understand your frustration xx

Bluegreen143 - That quiche looks gorgeous, mine never come out like that!

Happy birthday craigywv!

£4.16 in Mr S on rubbish as mentioned above.

Made a pot of veggie chilli last night for me and the freezer from store cupboard tins, a wrinkly pepper and some frozen peppers. DH had one of the big tins of meat chilli from Ald1. We had it with HM spicy wedges. My 2 week meal plan has gone a bit of track. I am still eating the same meals just not in the planned order.

Busy day today as we need to list some stuff on ebay, sort some other stuff out to ebay next week and I need to make some cheese bread and soup for lunch and some GF chocolate buns for me for work. Then DS is at a party this afternoon. Will attempt not to buy a drink at the play centre
    October Grocery Challenge - £277.74/£220
    • Loobeyloop
    • By Loobeyloop 5th Aug 12, 9:41 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    Loobeyloop
    Morning! Hope you are all having a lovely Sunday!
    I have lost the plot the last couple of days, had to take my poorly cat to the vets Friday, found out she's got a massive tumour on her kidney, and has probably got cancer elsewhere too, the vet gave her an antibiotic injection and had a repeat prescription for steroids, that came to £42 BF paid gave me £20 towards it. Am so gutted and upset she means as much to me as my ds, so I decided to take a trip to mr T to buy her some nice food, ( I want her to have the tastiest food she likes whilst she's still here) and some comfort stuff for me and ds (had nephew over so bought him stuff to) bill came to £32.57, and spent £6 yesterday...so spent £60.57 on nothing of any real substance....at least my cat is still eating! Back on it now though! Am hoping to not have to buy anything much this week.....
    Hope you are better behaved!
    xx
    August 13 NSD 4 /15.... /4 in a row!!!! Credit cards as of 13/4/12 31/07/12
    Virgin 73.08 0.00 Nationwide 1336.57 1446.201405.23 Tesco 2392.11 2376.91 2761.93 Halifax 2746.05 2774.12 2186.06 B/C 2559.72 2569.62 2341.02 Santander 3221.43 3119.57

Overdraft:800
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 5th Aug 12, 9:42 AM
    • 5,813 Posts
    • 40,382 Thanks
    Caterina
    Update re. How our OHs sometime sabotage us in our OS efforts: I talked to DH with facts and figures, told him that for various reasons in the last few months we have spent double the amount we have saved. Explained that the money to cover this extra spend has come out of our "retirement pot" and that I would like to bring the savings back to their healthy state. Explained the GC and asked him whether he would like to try a NSW/end when the twins go to the festival (promised him lovely and naughty free activities LOL). He is on board!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 5th Aug 12, 9:46 AM
    • 5,813 Posts
    • 40,382 Thanks
    Caterina
    Lobeyloop so sorry about the sad news about your cat. (((((hugs)))))
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • rosieben
    NickJW I've added your Root Veg + Potato rostis to the recipe list (in post #7 for the moment)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • medsdemon
    • By medsdemon 5th Aug 12, 9:54 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 6,133 Thanks
    medsdemon
    Okay This is me returning to try AGAIN and I will make time to post on here and keep track as I am trying to save for a holiday in October and our food spending is erratic to say the least. I am going for a budget of £200 please and am starting today till 31st August. This includes toiletries and cleaning products too but I wont include my OH's energy drinks as they can come from his personal account and are strictly extras imo.

We are low stockwise for meat and fresh stuff but have lots of cupboard staples in. I am going to try and only buy YS bread and get stuff reduced alot so will try and time shopping in the evening with reduction time. I will get back to meal planning and am currently in the middle of doing just that.

Meal Plan-
    Sunday- Chickpea Curry and rice with salad
    Rubharb Crumble
    Monday- Spaghetti pomodoro
    LO Crumble
    Tuesday- Mushroom Soup and fresh bread
    Wed-s mixed bean chilli and rice/tacos
    Thursday-Hoping to do a shop so will plan the rest from there.

For lunches will be LO's or hm soups.
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 5th Aug 12, 10:08 AM
    • 3,310 Posts
    • 29,414 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Mince recipe ideas
    Not sure what to do for dinner today, might have a root in the freezer to see what i've got. Know i have 2 packs of YS mince in there, any idea on some bulk cooking ideas i could make with that? Must be dairy free and not spicy.
    Originally posted by KatyReed+5
    KatyReed+5 - There are several bolognaise recipes on page 1 of the thread under main meals in Rosieben's list and at least four or five other mince recipes under "m" in post 4.

Here's my own suggestion. I used to cook teas for mixed hockey matches (that I was playing in - so they had to be things we could leave) and a favourite was a variation on Pasticcio - others call this pasta bake or bitsa lasagne (because it's made with bits of pasta and not sheets).

I used to make it for under £10 for 24 plus subs (2 teams of 11 and umpires). You basically make your padded out meat-trace bolognaise* a bit wetter than normal by adding water and layer it with pasta shapes (makes dishing it up easier than the sheets in lasagne) and top with a white sauce with strong grated or crumbled cheese sprinkled on top (strong cheddar or italian hard cheese) and then slam it in a hot oven until the cheese goes brown (20 minutes if the pasta is pre-cooked and 45-50 if it isn't).

*meat-trace bolognaise uses half the mince and double the veg.
    If you want a more detailed recipe -
    Pasticcio
    I would fry the following finely chopped items -
    2 med onions
    2 fat garlic cloves
    4 carrots
    4 sticks of celery
    with 50-100g (depends how meaty you like it) minced beef
    sprinkle with
    > ready mix herbs (I mix oregano, thyme, basil and mint and keep them in a jam jar),
    > worcester sauce,
    > tabasco (you can't taste the spice)
    > a crumbled oxo beef cube.
    Then add two tins of chopped tomatoes
    and a good dollop of tomato puree (I use the tins and would use a whole one).
    Season with salt and pepper and add about a can or 2 of water (rinsing the last bits of tomato out!)
    a good handful of red lentils - lid on and bubble for a few minutes
    while you make the sauce (and I pre-cook the pasta shapes -whatever you have - fusili or penne work especially well)

If the kids don't like veg you can process all of it to a puree instead of chopping it and they won't notice. If you want to get them tolerant to spicy food you can use tabasco instead of chilli in chilli and gradually increase it.

Sometimes I add baked beans but this makes it very filling.

The easiest white sauce is to heat a mixture of milk and water (a lotal of just over half a pint) and mix a heaped tablespoon of cornflour with cold water so the cornflour is all mixed in. then pour the hot milk into the cornflour mix and return to the pan untl it thickens. I season with salt otherwise it is bland tasting.

I mix the drained pasta and meat mix together and then into a big dish and cover with the sauce and sprinkle on a good handful of cheese. 200 degree middle of the oven for 20 minutes until the cheese is brown and bubbling.

I always take it out for about 5-10 minutes before I serve it and it thickens as the pasta absorbs any liquid.

It reheats and freezes well and DS eats it cold for lunches when he's at college
    HTH
    SL

Sorry KR+5 - ignore the sauce and cheese if you need to be dairy free
    Last edited by Suffolk lass; 05-08-2012 at 1:43 PM. Reason: re-read and not dairy free. Doh!
    Save £12k in 2019 - #68 target is £7k £8,766.30 after Sep
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target £3k - 57.28% spent after Sep
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 108.23% £43,292.24 including Sep - reducing now to avoid fees
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (£59,998) Q2 £30,085 or 50.14% paid
    My DFD is here
    • Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 5th Aug 12, 11:09 AM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 15,828 Thanks
    Save Dosh
    KatyReed+5 I make up a big batch of mince and then freeze in containers, this can be used for a variety of stuff, to put inside jacket potatoes, to use with wraps and salad, i add to pasta tubes with grated cheese, like someone else said , but omit the cheese if dairy free, shepherds pie, spag bol etc.

Loobeyloop So sorry to hear about your cat, my cat meant the world to me, they do become part of the family - hope they can help her
    August GC - Food £55.56/£80 Alcohol £17.24/£20
    Bulk Funds - Food £19.73
    -
    Save 12k in 2019 £1,300/£5,000 - #155
  • rosieben
    Suffolk lass, I've added your Pasticcio recipe to the temp post #7
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • jumblejack
    free Anchor real dairy cream at asda:
    http://www.facebook.com/anchordairy/app_388604294513613

currently 50p in Asda and the voucher is 50p too!!
    Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
    • chocalicious
    • By chocalicious 5th Aug 12, 1:02 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    chocalicious
    Hi everyone.

This is my first post although I have been lurking for a while lol.

Can I please join the grocery challenge from today until 31/08 at £300?

Things are really tight with only 1 wage coming in and 3 kids to support so we need to start cutting back.

I hope to speak to you all again in other threads.

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 5th Aug 12, 1:46 PM
    • 3,310 Posts
    • 29,414 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    KatyReed+5 I make up a big batch of mince and then freeze in containers, this can be used for a variety of stuff, to put inside jacket potatoes, to use with wraps and salad, i add to pasta tubes with grated cheese, like someone else said , but omit the cheese if dairy free, shepherds pie, spag bol etc.
    Originally posted by Save Dosh
    Good spot Save Dosh - ignore the cheese and sauce for the dairy free version...

Note to self... read more carefully!
    SL
    Save £12k in 2019 - #68 target is £7k £8,766.30 after Sep
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target £3k - 57.28% spent after Sep
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 108.23% £43,292.24 including Sep - reducing now to avoid fees
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (£59,998) Q2 £30,085 or 50.14% paid
    My DFD is here
    • xxlouisexx56
    • By xxlouisexx56 5th Aug 12, 1:46 PM
    • 2,191 Posts
    • 30,133 Thanks
    xxlouisexx56
    BIt late this month, but can I be put down for £230 please?

I spent £55 in tesco yesterday but got that down to £33 with coupons !! And got 2 petrol vouchers back for diesel for the car, OH will fill the tank up next weekend.

We now have enough cereal to last us a few months I think! In my stock cupboard cereal wise I have...
    1x tesco weetabix (48)
    1x box of rice krispies
    3 x coco pops
    1 x fruit loops
    1 x mini max.
    1 x Cheerios

Currently open are...
    1 x crunchy nut cornflakes
    1 x chocolate Cheerios
    1 x sugar puffs
    And about 4 weetabix biscuits left

Freezer is full too. Hopefully this will be a good month!
    • greent
    • By greent 5th Aug 12, 2:19 PM
    • 8,196 Posts
    • 83,273 Thanks
    greent
    Further spending at T's, S's and A!di, meaning month to date total is now £78.38. We're away for a week from next Saturday, though, so should only need a loaf and maybe milk between now and then. We're camping, so I'll take some food and we'll also go to the large Tesco whilst there. (Also still need to add AF order total when that is delivered next week sometime....)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3757/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £532.58/£500
    • jasmin10
    • By jasmin10 5th Aug 12, 2:31 PM
    • 895 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    jasmin10
    So today for dinner we are having toad in the hole, mash, onion gravy and veggies. Pudding - banana icecream I think, or I made two loads of Bread Pudding that is in the freezer, so I could get that out and have it with custard.

Then the next job is ironing and getting all the nappies washed and dried ready for tomorrow, and finally sitting down on here checking for the latest coupons vouchers etc (did very well with the Greens ones so wanting to 'branch out' lol. Then once kiddy winks are in bee bye land it will be a glass of wine (left from my birthday) and catching up on all the posts here and the £7 thread.

Hope everyone has a lovely evening.

I have my list by my kettle in the kitchen and if its not on the list then it doesn't get bought.
    Originally posted by JackieO

lol thats exactly the same place I put my, and also if it's now down it dosent get bought lol

I'm trying really hard to remember with my OH that there's no point saving lots of cash if our relationship goes down the tubes because of nagging/fighting as I'm trying to cut our costs to make our life better, not worse! Hope this all makes sense.
    Originally posted by Bluegreen143

Gosh that is just so true.

Has anybody heard from flo? I am missing her posts.
    Originally posted by Soworried
    Thought Flo was on holiday?? might be wrong

yesterday as was my birthday 40
    Originally posted by craigywv

Hope you had a lovely day.

Hugs to you Jasmin10 - My DH spent money on carp again yesterday and scoffed nearly all the ham I was hoping would last into next week. I understand your
    Originally posted by XSpender

Certainly does make you rage lol

I have lost the plot the last couple of days, had to take my poorly cat to the vets Friday, found out she's got a massive tumour on her kidney, and has probably got cancer elsewhere too, the vet gave her an antibiotic injection and had a repeat prescription for steroids, that came to £42 BF paid gave me £20 towards it. Am so gutted and upset she means as much to me as my ds, so I decided to take a trip to mr T to buy her some nice food, ( I want her to have the tastiest food she likes whilst she's still here)
    Originally posted by Loobeyloop

I so understand where your coming my cat (Jasmin), I had from 6 weeks old until she was 15. I had a rough childhood leaving home at 15 and she was always there, the only thing I had to cuddle and make me feel better when I moved from bedsit and flats etc. She ended up being diabetic and I had to give her insulin shots twice a day. In the end she passed with renal failure. Funny tho as I'm sure we both knew that night it was going to be our last together as I was suppose to have been working overtime but cancelled and came home and that evening she jumped on my lap in a strange way and just kept nuzzling me, we was never that clingy - two hrs later she went to rainbow bridge.

I really hope that you get better news when you next see the vet, it's amazing what wonders they can do on our furry friends.
    Last edited by jasmin10; 05-08-2012 at 3:09 PM.
    [I]TopCashback £1792.63
    My Little World
    • jasmin10
    • By jasmin10 5th Aug 12, 2:37 PM
    • 895 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    jasmin10
    Forgot to say, went out into the garden to pick some plums, blueberries and gooseberries as I was hoping to make some jam, but I think all rain we had last couple of months has taken its toll as I haven't got enough to make two lots, let alone one - had tons last yr, couldn't get rid of them quick enough lol.

Still, will add a couple of apples from the fruit bowl to bring up pectin levels and bulk it out (ooh just realised that I forgot to check the apple tree, only a young one but there may be a few on that too. - perhaps I may get my jam after all.
    Last edited by jasmin10; 05-08-2012 at 3:06 PM.
    [I]TopCashback £1792.63
    My Little World
  • JackieRHE
    A quick update - 3 NSDs so far, £24.45 on cat food, £1 on newspaper and £2.24 on bought sandwich (poor planning)

Total spend £27.69.

Will be back to catch up on the thread and try out some recipes!
    £2 Savers Club 2013 - £28
    20p Savers Club 2013 - £10.20
    January 2013 Grocery Challenge 73.30/180.00
    • Bluegreen143
    • By Bluegreen143 5th Aug 12, 3:39 PM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 12,739 Thanks
    Bluegreen143
    Hello everyone! Happy birthday craigywv! And thanks for the quiche advice, everyone

Received Mr A order today and it was £74.99 this month is not going well so far. In fairness, instead of one medium steak for OH they have given me two large ones I know this can happen when you order by weight but come on! I will freeze the other one but it has bumped my total cost up!

Also (in my inexperience with meat) I ordered a small 500g beef roasting joint thinking "how lovely, I can make my first ever roast beef dinner and 500g of meat is enough for two meals for the two of us (well I usually budget 100-125g each per serving) so it's not THAT pricey at £5" but of course it's arrived and it might be 500g but it just looks absolutely tiny, and I know they shrink when you cook them, so I'm pretty convinced that we will eat it all today I'll have spent £5 on meat for one meal *huffs* plus I got a free range whole chicken to portion for freezer (need breasts for later on this week) and a haddock fillet (for me when OH has the steak) and OMG I have spent £22 on meat and fish this week alone when I only spend around £35 the whole of last month!! Major meal plan/shopping fail!

Sorry for the rant Obviously I am freezing the vast majority of a 1.8kg chicken and a large steak for future consumption, so not quite as bad as I'm making out...

Just felt really difficult when ordering the shopping this week, it was supposed to be a stocking up shop but I left plenty of "like to haves" off as I was horrified by the running total Hopefully all this yummy food will last and I think my problem is I meal planned too many "treaty" meals (steak/breaded fish, roast beef, takeaway style chicken kebabs) in a bid to keep OH happy. Beans on toast and vegetable soup every day next week!!
    Married 1 March 2014 DS born 06 Dec 2014 DD born 14 Dec 2018
  • Mrs Addicted to Spending
    Another £48 spent today, nearly all in Lid1. Meal plan for the week:

Today - Fry up (lunch) and Jacket potatoes, cheese, salad and LO corned beef which needs using up (tea)
    Mon - Thai chicken
    Tues - Cottage pie
    Wednesday - steak*, mushrooms and onions on rolls plus salad (* half price steak from Lid! )
    Thursday - macaroni cheese
    Friday - prawn curry (DH and me), YS fishcakes, chips, veg for DS x2

Saturday still to be confirmed.

Hopefully we won't have to buy much more but with the kids off, we seem to be running out of things quicker than normal so I'm bound to need more soon, even though the main meals are sorted.
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
    • maman
    • By maman 5th Aug 12, 4:18 PM
    • 20,694 Posts
    • 122,958 Thanks
    maman
    Hello everyone! Happy birthday craigywv! And thanks for the quiche advice, everyone

Received Mr A order today and it was £74.99 this month is not going well so far. In fairness, instead of one medium steak for OH they have given me two large ones I know this can happen when you order by weight but come on! I will freeze the other one but it has bumped my total cost up!

Also (in my inexperience with meat) I ordered a small 500g beef roasting joint thinking "how lovely, I can make my first ever roast beef dinner and 500g of meat is enough for two meals for the two of us (well I usually budget 100-125g each per serving) so it's not THAT pricey at £5" but of course it's arrived and it might be 500g but it just looks absolutely tiny, and I know they shrink when you cook them, so I'm pretty convinced that we will eat it all today I'll have spent £5 on meat for one meal *huffs* plus I got a free range whole chicken to portion for freezer (need breasts for later on this week) and a haddock fillet (for me when OH has the steak) and OMG I have spent £22 on meat and fish this week alone when I only spend around £35 the whole of last month!! Major meal plan/shopping fail!

Sorry for the rant Obviously I am freezing the vast majority of a 1.8kg chicken and a large steak for future consumption, so not quite as bad as I'm making out...

Just felt really difficult when ordering the shopping this week, it was supposed to be a stocking up shop but I left plenty of "like to haves" off as I was horrified by the running total Hopefully all this yummy food will last and I think my problem is I meal planned too many "treaty" meals (steak/breaded fish, roast beef, takeaway style chicken kebabs) in a bid to keep OH happy. Beans on toast and vegetable soup every day next week!!
    Originally posted by Bluegreen143
    I'm about to cook a tiny piece of beef (left from cutting up a large joint for freezing) so you have my sympathy. What I'd suggest is that even if you can keep back a tiny amount before you serve up use it for a stir fry (freeze if not on this week's meal plan). That way you do get two meals out of it. I slice up a bit of cooked beef (cut in thin strips) and marinate in soy, ginger, garlic some 5 spice and a sprinkle of stock cube. When I fry the steak and add veg I use the marinade as the sauce and serve with rice or noodles.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,494Posts Today

7,954Users online

Martin's Twitter