Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 31st Jul 12, 9:43 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Hotel discount deals under investigation
    • 31st Jul 12, 9:43 AM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Hotel discount deals under investigation 31st Jul 12 at 9:43 AM
    "The OFT is concerned Booking.com, Expedia and InterContinental Hotels Group are limiting discounts..."

Page 1
    • Dave save
    • By Dave save 31st Jul 12, 9:47 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    Dave save
    • 31st Jul 12, 9:47 AM
    • 31st Jul 12, 9:47 AM
    This probably explains why most of us could never find those 'bargains' these companies were proud of advertising.
    • zerog
    • By zerog 31st Jul 12, 12:41 PM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 849 Thanks
    zerog
    • 31st Jul 12, 12:41 PM
    • 31st Jul 12, 12:41 PM
    This probably explains why most of us could never find those 'bargains' these companies were proud of advertising.
    Originally posted by Dave save
    No, it's because you aren't sad enough to spend your whole life online refreshing a page every 2 minutes to see if a new 'bargain' has popped up.
    • leicsmarkyr
    • By leicsmarkyr 31st Jul 12, 5:33 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    leicsmarkyr
    • 31st Jul 12, 5:33 PM
    • 31st Jul 12, 5:33 PM
    Be interesting to see if IHG remove their "find us cheaper anywhere else, we will give you a night free" offer
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 31st Jul 12, 9:18 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 31st Jul 12, 9:18 PM
    • 31st Jul 12, 9:18 PM
    Hotels? Who has the money for hotels?

Hostels, that's the way to go. You should see the backpackers in the Green Tortoise in San Francisco.
    With manicures like those, they were going nowhere near a tent.

Ten years ago, I stayed in student accommodation in Shanghai (empty over summer) for a month: 10 a day including air-con. The restaurant was amazing. Sad thing is, the teachers could only afford cheap noodles, and the students were ordering the good stuff, which were ridiculouly cheap by London standards.

19 a night in Travelodge is my limit.
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 31st Jul 12, 9:43 PM
    • 5,795 Posts
    • 3,725 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    • 31st Jul 12, 9:43 PM
    • 31st Jul 12, 9:43 PM
    What would be the point of ICH giving a small travel agent say 10% if all the agent did was use that commission to undercut ICHs prices. I don't think thats fair really.

If they sell a seperate, more restricted package, fair enough or they can maybe use some of the commission to throw in some extras ie airport lounge access, local attraction tickets, meal vouchers etc to give some value ,but to bite the hand that feeds you isn't a great idea.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,154Posts Today

5,580Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin