Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 24th Jul 12, 4:10 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Visa-only card warning for Olympics
    • 24th Jul 12, 4:10 PM
    MSE News: Visa-only card warning for Olympics 24th Jul 12 at 4:10 PM
    "If you're heading to the Olympics or Paralympics, the only way to pay at venues is using a Visa card or cash..."

Page 1
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 24th Jul 12, 4:29 PM
    • 10,018 Posts
    • 2,981 Thanks
    chanz4
    • 24th Jul 12, 4:29 PM
    • 24th Jul 12, 4:29 PM
    Are we sure its not labour making these choices, as type of rubbish they would come out with
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
    • photome
    • By photome 24th Jul 12, 4:47 PM
    • 13,959 Posts
    • 9,482 Thanks
    photome
    • 24th Jul 12, 4:47 PM
    • 24th Jul 12, 4:47 PM
    Seb Coe and his cronies have a lot to answer for, yes its great to get the Olympics to the UK, but they havent done badly out of it
    • Hump
    • By Hump 24th Jul 12, 6:53 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    Hump
    • 24th Jul 12, 6:53 PM
    • 24th Jul 12, 6:53 PM
    First Group Games Travel who appear to be providing parking services with London 2012 (links via the official website) accepted a Mastercard payment last night
    • ic
    • By ic 24th Jul 12, 7:32 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 1,350 Thanks
    ic
    • 24th Jul 12, 7:32 PM
    • 24th Jul 12, 7:32 PM
    Seb Coe and his cronies have a lot to answer for, yes its great to get the Olympics to the UK, but they havent done badly out of it
    Originally posted by photome
    This article is interesting on the subject, especially the video mid way down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18182541
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 24th Jul 12, 7:47 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    • 24th Jul 12, 7:47 PM
    I'd imagine they haven't done badly out of it no - it's the biggest sporting event on the planet... I'm convinced people think the only work managers/bankers do are the brief stints that are broadcast on TV, they do a hell of a lot more than that and are paid as such. That's how any form of capitalism works, surely people should be starting to get to grips with it now - it's not a new concept!

Are we sure its not labour making these choices, as type of rubbish they would come out with
    Originally posted by chanz4
    Yes we are sure it's not Labour making these choices.... It's an Olympic rule (as long as Visa keep sponsoring them so much anyway!) - whether they be held in London, Madrid, Tokyo or Damascus, the only payment card allowed to be accepted is Visa.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 24th Jul 12, 7:47 PM
    • 9,469 Posts
    • 11,383 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Let's hope David Gauke has a Visa card then or he'll be going hungry ... he doesn't like paying with cash.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 24th Jul 12, 11:18 PM
    • 7,084 Posts
    • 3,919 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 24th Jul 12, 11:18 PM
    • 24th Jul 12, 11:18 PM
    yes its great to get the Olympics to the UK
    Actually I don't think it is.
    • JezR
    • By JezR 25th Jul 12, 8:35 AM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    JezR
    • 25th Jul 12, 8:35 AM
    • 25th Jul 12, 8:35 AM
    Coca Cola was a sponsor of the 1948 Olympics. So for that matter were Guinness and Craven A cigarettes. So what is new ....

There are Visa kiosks at many venues that will sell you a pre-paid Visa card which you can pay for with MC/American Express, although I guess both of those would want to lump their charges on for the privilege of doing so.
    • grey gym sock
    • By grey gym sock 25th Jul 12, 10:32 AM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 4,000 Thanks
    grey gym sock
    If you don't have a Visa card and you need to spend, withdraw cash first but be sure to pay back a credit card withdrawal quickly or you'll be hit with high interest charges.

that should of course read:

If you don't have a Visa card and you need to spend, withdraw cash first but not using a credit card, because you'd be crazy to borrow for spending on entertainments.
    • bailey70
    • By bailey70 25th Jul 12, 12:36 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    bailey70
    Personally I don't think that restricting purchases to a particular type of card is an issue if it's only restricted to official locations, my problem lies with the stories I'm hearing that apparently there are restrictions on what can be sold in public areas within the Olympic zone too... such as UPS being the only organisation being allowed to carry out deliveries or only McDonalds being allowed to sell certain foods. Event sponsorship is one thing when it's related directly to an event but it should not be allowed to impact on people's day to day lives or the ability of businesses to operate.
    • billbennett
    • By billbennett 25th Jul 12, 9:52 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    billbennett
    So what are we going to do this summer, Brain?

Same thing we do every summer, Pinky...

...Try to make everyone pay with Visa cards!!
    In "Monopoly", what makes the "Super Tax" so super?
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 29th Jul 12, 6:18 PM
    • 4,163 Posts
    • 3,549 Thanks
    Kite2010
    The visa stands are probably all to happy to accept Mastercards/Amex to sell you a pre-pay Visa card which makes the Ryanair card look like a best-buy.
    • aquila99
    • By aquila99 25th Aug 12, 9:46 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    aquila99
    Visa and Locog created a monopoly
    Hi - read with interest all the comments re this issue. Are we all so lilly livered not to see this monopoly for what it is, and also overlook the fact that is would be very easy to turn the tables on them.!?!

I have spoke with my bank requesting that they supply me with a none VISA debit card. HSBC say that the only offer Visa debit cards. I have told them I feel so strongly about this monopoly I will change banks. They say they will respond to my request seriously, but we will see.

I call upon MSE fans and followers to take a similar stand. I also call upon Martin Lewis to facilitate a nationwide stand by featuring the issue on the main website. Afterall we should all understand that any monopoly will always lead to more cost for the consumer.
    • marksmith99
    • By marksmith99 28th Aug 12, 10:22 AM
    • 148 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    marksmith99
    this monopoly I will change banks.
    Originally posted by aquila99
    Might need to look up the definition of a monopoly.
    Last edited by marksmith99; 28-08-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: quote wrong again
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,782Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin