Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 7th Jul 12, 2:09 AM
    • 6,671Posts
    • 102,055Thanks
    fuddle
    make do and mend for tougher times
    • 7th Jul 12, 2:09 AM
    make do and mend for tougher times 7th Jul 12 at 2:09 AM
    As the previous thread hit 10 000 posts and growing we've decided to start a new one.

Welcome to 'make do and mend as things get an awful lot tougher' a name suggested by preparedathome

Pink-winged... do your stuff
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
Page 40
    • prepareathome
    • By prepareathome 13th Jul 12, 11:43 PM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 24,925 Thanks
    prepareathome
    Winchelsea my brother-in-law when he was 42 had stents put in and he has never looked back - he is 50 now and has been so much healthier than he has been for years thankfully since then. He leads a full normal life working full time and is kept on his toes with an 11 year old son.

I am so sorry for your loss, for you its so hard but for your friend it was a blessing to go like that no lingering on in pain.

Oh am so tempted with the kemps lucky bags, but do I really need more yarn I have a stash of it, but oh its such a bargain, but where to put it, but prices will go up then I will be sorry........to buy or not to buy that is the question
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z # 1 prepareathome - baker, premium prepper (hence member #1), topic keeper
    Sealed Pot Member1433:2011 £119.12/2012-? Save £12k in 2012 No 126
    Stopped Smoking Wed 25th Jan 2012
    • prepareathome
    • By prepareathome 13th Jul 12, 11:47 PM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 24,925 Thanks
    prepareathome
    Thanks especially to GQ and Bonnie-bumpkins for the sympathy about the interview. I haven't heard so am assuming I haven't got the job but hey, I'm philosophical about it. I have developed a relationship (no, not that kind of relationship!) with one of my referees a bit further as she has been very supportive, so that's a good thing to come out of the experience.

I've been promising myself a long, hot bath all week so I'm going for it right now! As my nerves and tension have now calmed down after the interview I can start to focus on normality again - unfortunately this means I will be cleaning the house tomorrow as it is a tip .

Couldn't find my phone earlier. Turns out it was on the sofa - underneath Bruno! He was lying on it and had managed to ring someone back. I'm expecting the police any moment for a complaint about heavy breathing .... Bruno's snoring !
    Originally posted by smileyt

Don't give up hope yet, some places take a week to make up their minds and they might have been interviewing right up till Friday so not decide to Monday at very least.....

I hope you had a lovely bath and enjoyed every moment of it.

Bruno obviously felt he was not going to have your attention taken off him by you talking on the phone so hid it from you Crafty boy.
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z # 1 prepareathome - baker, premium prepper (hence member #1), topic keeper
    • prepareathome
    • By prepareathome 14th Jul 12, 2:32 AM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 24,925 Thanks
    prepareathome
    [IMG] war time cookery by prepareathomeearth, on Flickr[/IMG]

I forgot when I was at the museum on Wednesday I bought this booklet, it has 34 recipes in it, cost £1 and also a leaflet with recipes on it for 75p which was dear in comparison. I think I have all the recipes in my wartime cookbooks but like to buy something when I go to places and these I felt at least are useful. They also had the Digging for Victory book but I already have it and paid half the price they were asking. They had Digging for Victory notebooks but all they were was the cover of the book on the outside and blank pages inside and wanted £5 and was on a thin A5 size book. I did not buy it, I thought it might have contained info from the book inside, a total rip off.

From the booklet:

1. Keep a vegetable stock-pot with the water from celery, leeks,
    onions, carrots, potatoes, greens and other vegetables.

Never throw these liquids down the sink; they contain valuable
    minerals and vitamins, and partly help to make up deficiency in
    rationed foods.

2. Use the liquid from the boiled vegetables to dilute tinned soups.

2. When serving soup and vegetables at the same meal, cook the
    vegetables in the soup.

3. Steam root vegetables.

4. Cook potatoes in their jackets.

5. Save all the fat from cooking meat; refine it and use it for
    other cooking purposes.

6. Cook meals as far as possible with one ' "unit" of heat, e.g. in
    one large steamer on a low fire or single gas ring you may cook:
    a meat roll, steamed jacket potatoes, boiled or steamed suet
    pudding; or in one oven you may cook; baked meat, casserole
    of mixed vegetables, fruit pie or pastry, scones.

Introduce into the menu as often as possible the following foods:

Meat - Tripe, cow-heel, ox-tail, liver, kidney, hearts, tongues,
    rabbits, calves' and sheep's head, fresh bones.

Fats - Olive Oil, vitaminised margarine, dripping suet, nuts, fat from
    boiled mutton and beef, oily fishes ( such as herrings, sprats,
    bloaters), cheese.

Cereals - Wholemeal flour, semolina, barley, oatmeal, macaroni,
    rice.

Vegetables - Carrots, swedes, beets, celery, parsnips, onions,
    leeks, turnip-tops, spring greens, tinned spinach, dried
    pulse vegetables and raw salad vegetables in season.

Fruits - Tomatoes, figs, dates, raisins, prunes, dried apricots,
    currents and citrous fruits.

Fish - Kippers, herrings, bloaters, cod and herring roes, sardines,
    sprats, mackerel, tinned salmon.

If you want I will post some recipes from the booklet and from my books on wartime cookery - or if the forum not the place will put them on my blog/website and post a link to it in my profile instead of my dairy.

Hugs, Love and healing xxxxxxx
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 14th Jul 12, 5:46 AM
    • 6,671 Posts
    • 102,055 Thanks
    fuddle
    Really interesting pah. I'd love to read some recipes, whereever you would like to post them.

I'm having difficulty with my bread making. It just doesn't rise very much. I have been using a recipe from bakingmad and thought to look on http://www.bacheldremill.co.uk/ as I'm using their flour. It seems I need to knock it back etc. Will try their recipe later his afternoon.

I would also like to try making crumpets and muffins too.

Hundreds of UK flood defence schemes unbuilt due to budget cuts There's cuts and there's cuts IMO. For me, flooding poses a massive problem and sees ordinary, every day people displaced. Flooding causes so much anguish and not to mention public health and safety, especially rat displacement. I despair sometimes.
    Be like a tree.
    • prepareathome
    • By prepareathome 14th Jul 12, 6:13 AM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 24,925 Thanks
    prepareathome
    Anything to save money these days and pay bigger salaries to the top officials that to me is why they do this, only so much money available so its the top people take a cut or don't have annual increase or bonus and things get done or the pay out the big bucks and nothing gets done properly. Then of course money has to be found to clear up the mess after flooding. They don't care about ordinary people only how many noughts there are on their bank account.

I was sorting my tins and for a change writing down exactly what I have, less than I thought of some things and came across my vacumn sealer which I had totally forgot I had bought. I bought it from a on-line friend who was trying to earn some money selling them. I didn't open it for a few months when I got it as went through a bad patch and when I did found the instructions were in foreign language - which one has gone from my head at the moment - and pictures were useless. I had left it so long I didn't like to ask the woman how to use it then so it got stuck in cupboard, but have been looking on you tube and will take it out of its box later and see if I can work it going by the videos I have watched. Could save me so much space in the freezer especially if I get the dehydrator up and running ok. I found the place where I bought the dehydrator sells the plastic for them. I didn't realise they were so dear, I only paid £15 for mine.

You are doing so well with your bread making. Yes you need to let it rise, then knock it back then let it rise again. If you every feel anxious or panicky then kneading bread is a great way to let out the feelings, I don't think you can pound bread to much.

Hugs, Love and healing xxxx
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 14th Jul 12, 6:19 AM
    • 6,671 Posts
    • 102,055 Thanks
    fuddle
    I felt myself getting worked up in the coffee shop yesterday pah I was overwhelmed by all the coffees and didn't know what to say. I'm getting ridiculous. Anyway, I remembered what was said about an elastic band round my wrist. I didn't have one but started hitting my wrists together... bizarrely, it distracted me out of it - if not making me look completely stupid lol. I have found a forum full of people who have anxiety and panic attacks so I'm perusing there for support and ideas. I will beat this, or at least deal with it.
    Be like a tree.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th Jul 12, 6:40 AM
    • 15,431 Posts
    • 150,554 Thanks
    mardatha
    Prepping sites opened my eyes and I dont find them scarey at all, just really interesting. I believe in looking after yourself, not in sitting waiting for the govt - or council or whoever- to do things for you...people like farmers for instance have everything on hand to fix stuff. Old people, like my dad, were always prepared for emergencies and be able to cope. I like that.
    Just learning that you can buy stuff to purify water, hexi tablets to cook on when you have nothing else, where to buy solar security lights/headlights so you can see your way to the coalbox in a powercut without struggling to carry a bloody torch as well is all very handy!
    Somebody was talking about butterflies and buddleia - mine isnt even OUT yet, and my lilac is just coming out now!!
    • Popperwell
    • By Popperwell 14th Jul 12, 6:49 AM
    • 4,637 Posts
    • 48,466 Thanks
    Popperwell
    Fuddle sometimes even someone without panic attacks or anxiety can be affected. And there can be too much choice.

As for the bread there are lots of good sites and videos but I bet it's what has been suggested, it needs knocking back a little more...

I did find a video by the Baker Boys on Channel 4's player but there are some good recipe's on the good old BBC website...some of the websites I used have been lost when my pc was repaired.
    Last edited by Popperwell; 14-07-2012 at 6:57 AM.
    • Popperwell
    • By Popperwell 14th Jul 12, 6:52 AM
    • 4,637 Posts
    • 48,466 Thanks
    Popperwell
    Mardatha,
    Must look for those water purifing tablets...something else for my store room...A site I visited suggested adding bleach to water but it was a little more complicated than that...that would be dangerous if the rest of the advice was not followed...The site was genuine and meant for the residents of San Francisco.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th Jul 12, 7:37 AM
    • 15,431 Posts
    • 150,554 Thanks
    mardatha
    I think you buy them on Amazon, I always meant to get them but haven't yet EEK
    • Possession
    • By Possession 14th Jul 12, 7:51 AM
    • 3,140 Posts
    • 41,491 Thanks
    Possession
    I felt myself getting worked up in the coffee shop yesterday pah I was overwhelmed by all the coffees and didn't know what to say. I'm getting ridiculous. Anyway, I remembered what was said about an elastic band round my wrist. I didn't have one but started hitting my wrists together... bizarrely, it distracted me out of it - if not making me look completely stupid lol. I have found a forum full of people who have anxiety and panic attacks so I'm perusing there for support and ideas. I will beat this, or at least deal with it.
    Originally posted by fuddle
    That's great you managed to pull yourself out of it. And you're doing absolutely the right thing by tackling it as panic attacks have a tendancy to spread and you don't want them encroaching into any other areas of your life. You CAN do it.

• Mrs Chip
    Fuddle -try this recipe,it is dead easy, and makes lovely bread! The trick is when you take it out to use it will be very soft and you just shape it gently (you can find vids on You Tube showing this) and place on the tray it will cook on - and thats's it!. As you keep it in the fridge you always have dough ready to make bread, rolls or pizza.

--------------------------
    Five minute bread

Authors: Jeff Hertzberg and ZoŽ Francois

Chuck in a large bowl: 3 cups water, 1Tbsp yeast, 1Tbsp salt and 6.5cups of plain flour.
    Mix until combined.
    Cover loosely.
    Let rest for 2hrs.
    Shove it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

To bake: take out some dough using as light a touch as possible.
    Leave it to rise for about an hour on an oven tray.
    Put an empty baking tin in the oven and heat oven to max.
    When oven is hot, put the tray with dough in it and pour some hot water in the baking tin.
    Bake until golden (depends on the size of your loaf ...about 30min for me)

Right, there you have it: no copyright breach as it's in my own words and it's a simplified version anyway.

Having said that, seriously guys just type 'Master boule recipe' into Google and you get the original recipe.
    -----------
  • katieowl

vacumn sealer ...and see if I can work it going by the videos I have watched.
    Originally posted by prepareathome
    There is a very clear one on the Lakeland website, as I was looking at it yesterday. I'm contemplating buying an Excalibur dehydrator with the money Mum sent me for my birthday....and of course if I buy one I will also need a dehydrator eventually...

Kate
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Jul 12, 8:11 AM
    • 12,530 Posts
    • 241,325 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    GQ you made my day I havent laughed so much in ages, the thought of you calling the police cos you have folded some one up will stay with me now
    Originally posted by ginnyknit
    They'd potentially be in trouble if I can remember my aikido as there are some armlocks with only two ways out; being a darn sight better at aikido than me or being prepared to break your own arm/ dislocate your shoulder to escape. I'd be tempted to take it up again but I couldn't do it in glasses as you tend to get smacked face-first into the mats. And as I see badly without them, I'd have to have contacts at least for class and it starts getting expensive.

I spent quite a bit of time in my late teens/ early twenties exp why I had friction burns on my elbows and knees (flying over cotton tatami covers, not a raunchy love life). One of my funniest practices was when we had a new guy join us for the first time. He did a lot of different martial arts and was, not to put too fine a point on it, an @rse. The sensei can refuse to teach anyone who they think is likely to use the skills for the wrong reasons but mine was a wily Scottish electrician and decided that a bit of humiliation for the guy would be better, to drive him away because his dignity was offended. And if he could get past having his ego dented, maybe he was good enough to be trained.

So he partnered the guy to me, an ungraded white belt, for some practise on some throws he knew I was particularly accomplished at. And I spent a happy 10 minutes throwing him around the hall, which offended His Machoness so much he never came back to class...........Aikido is fun and I regularly used to get trounced by a woman in my class who was 4 foot 10 (a foot shorter than me). Short people have power because of their lower centres of gravity. And a woman's centre of gravity is lower than a man's, even if they are the same height, so we have an advantage when it comes to throwing people about.

I always treasured the tale of the 13 y.o. girl who was grabbed on the street by a grown man with evil intent. She did judo and threw him over her shoulder; he landed badly and broke his arm and was arrested. A happy ending to what would have been a disaster for the child. Go her!

Really interesting pah. I'd love to read some recipes, whereever you would like to post them.

I'm having difficulty with my bread making. It just doesn't rise very much. I have been using a recipe from bakingmad and thought to look on http://www.bacheldremill.co.uk/ as I'm using their flour. It seems I need to knock it back etc. Will try their recipe later his afternoon.
    Fuddle, I had a thought; are you using wholemeal flour? If so, it won't rise like white bread. I was told by a professional craft baker than not all craft bakers can "do" wholemeal bread. Also, commerically-produced bread is treated with flour improvers to make it take up water and air and produce a large, airy loaf. Water is cheap and air is cheaper and you pay for that.

I'm using my wholemeal windmillers' flour from the farmer's market and it's lovely, nutty flavour, you can almost feel it doing you good. But my bread rolls look like cobblestones.

Right, I have rationed myself to t'internet as I have some stuff to do (I'm going to the Army Surplus store te he) so must run off.

Catch up later, GQ x
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Mrs Chip
    We don't do a fully wholemeal loaf in the machine, it is usually half and half or 60/40 wholemeal - this makes a good flavoursome loaf with a good texture that is not too dense. All wholemeal does tend to be a bit brick-like!

All this talk of dehydrators is making me twitchy to get one again, but not sure I have enough need for one (especially this year from the garden) - what, apart from the usual veg do people dry in them?
  • Sunshine4
    Morning everyone,
    Well we did have sunshine for a few mins now its dark and black so rain is on its way again.
    PAH That list was very interesting would love to see some recipes.
    Would love to get a dehydrator, can you let me know where you got your please.As I know I would use it alot.

Fuddle I think you doing very well, not letting the panic attacks take over.

Got given some small balls of cotton yarn, so I am knitting some dish clothes with them. They are so soft.
    Not used to being home all the time, so I am trying to keep busy with knitting and decluttering.
    I am really looking at things we have and seeing if we really need them and are they useful if not they are going .
    C.R.A.P. R.O.O.L.Z. Member. 21 Norn Iron deputy h
  • Mrs Chip
    Oh forgot to say, re wartime recipes, The Works have got 'We'll Eat Again' a book of wartime recipes selected by Margueritte Patten for £2.99 - not a big book but quite interesting.

I can put up some recipes from there too if anyone wants them.
    Last edited by Mrs Chip; 14-07-2012 at 8:49 AM. Reason: Typo
  • katieowl
    We don't do a fully wholemeal loaf in the machine, it is usually half and half or 60/40 wholemeal - this makes a good flavoursome loaf with a good texture that is not too dense. All wholemeal does tend to be a bit brick-like!

All this talk of dehydrators is making me twitchy to get one again, but not sure I have enough need for one (especially this year from the garden) - what, apart from the usual veg do people dry in them?
    Originally posted by Mrs Chip
    Fruit....Think of all the times you see exotic fruit marked down, and how expensive dried fruit is to buy? (Mind you we could be in double cream territory here - I was thinking to myself yesterday at how long it had taken you to find a reduced cream mountain) You can also make fruit leathers. I thought we might be able to use our home dried fruit in cakes.

I though mushrooms would be something we'd do a lot of, not brave enough to forage, but again I often see them reduced.

Herbs... Apparently do well

Lots of the raw foodies make crackers and stuff in them...

Kate
    • SDG31000
    • By SDG31000 14th Jul 12, 8:53 AM
    • 986 Posts
    • 12,768 Thanks
    SDG31000
    Morning all from rain drenched Leicester

I'm slightly bleary eyed this morning. DH got home at 6pm, then rushed past me at 7pm saying "No time for dinner, have to go to London. Bye" The he slammed the door and I saw him again at 2.30am this morning. Of course my body clock then wakes me up at silly o'clock, so I'm drinking tea in the largest mug I have in the hopes of waking up at some point.

I've managed to resist the lure of Kemps lucky bags so far as I'm waiting to get some patterns from a lady at Knit and Natter on Tuesday. Then I'll see what I need to order. I don't mind making something multi coloured as a beginner's piece.

I'm meant to be going to a birthday party today. Our friends/neighbours son is 4 and I have to make an appearence at some point. DH juggles/makes simple balloon animals and they wanted him to be the entertainment for 8 4-5 year olds The sole entertainment I hasten to add. I found out yesterday that they had no games planned or even what sort of games that you play at kid's parties. Another friend has taken charge of that thank goodness. Such a pity DH is on call and can't do it . In fact he is going around another friend's house to hide for a few hours. He normally wouldn't mind helping out for an hour, but this child is a complete brat. He swears, he throws tantrums, he insults people and I have to bite my tongue to stop myself from telling him off. I can normally find something nice to say about any child, but after his one glared at me and ordered me around in my own house, I really can't with him. Hopefully the rain stops and the little darlings can play on the bouncy castle they have ordered to replace DH.

I should pop to the shops at some point to just pick up a few bits for dinner tonight. I'll see what the weather is doing later and then decide.
    I'm waiting for DH to surface so I can have a shower and get dressed. He gets up all ready to start the day and I look like the lazy one as I'm still in my pjs despite having being up for a few hours.
    Take care everyone. xxx
  • katieowl
    pointy things?
    You asked.... http://everyday-carry.com/

They must be wearing substantial belts, cos' if you bunged this lot in your pockets your trousers would fall down!

Kate
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,374Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin