Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 16th Apr 05, 10:37 PM
    • 7,259Posts
    • 8,310Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    Freezing and preserving herbs
    • 16th Apr 05, 10:37 PM
    Freezing and preserving herbs 16th Apr 05 at 10:37 PM
    Has anyone ever frozen basil leaves before or do they know if it can be done? My 89p basil plant is producing leaves faster than I can use them and I'd like a way to keep them. Our household isn't a lover of pesto btw or I'd make a glut of that. Ideas appreciated.

a_b
Page 1
  • Addy
    • 16th Apr 05, 10:55 PM
    • 16th Apr 05, 10:55 PM
    Yep, no problem. OH grows masses and what we can't use fresh, he freezes for using in cooking later. What I THINK he does is freeze it, then crushes it so it's in loose in bits. Doesn't need thawing either, just chuck a handful at the very end. Yummy!
  • trafalgar
    • 16th Apr 05, 11:15 PM
    • 16th Apr 05, 11:15 PM
    I chop it up ,put it in ice-cube tray and add a tweeny bit of water.........when it's frozen you can put the cubes/portions in a bag and you'll have portions of it ready at hands...................just pop out a cube and chuck it in the pot

most herbs will freeze easily
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 16th Apr 05, 11:53 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    • 16th Apr 05, 11:53 PM
    • 16th Apr 05, 11:53 PM
    oh goody, I won't lose all my basil plant then. Thankyou all!
  • sarahmelita
    • 20th May 05, 6:15 PM
    Freezing chilli's and herbs
    • 20th May 05, 6:15 PM
    Thought this was quite MSE and am also proud of myself for thinking of it, so thought I'd post it!
    Instead of pulling my poor herb plants to pieces every day, ( I use herbs a lot) I've started buying the huge bunches of them that you can get at the supermarket for about 99p, chop them up and freeze them in a container 'til you need them, they keep all the flavour and last for ages! You can use them from frozen, just chuck them into whatever you're cooking. I do the same with chilli's too.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 20th May 05, 6:22 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 20th May 05, 6:22 PM
    • 20th May 05, 6:22 PM
    I've always been put off from buying fresh herbs like that because I wouldn't be able to use them all. It never occurred to me that I could freeze them.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • MrsMW
    • 20th May 05, 6:23 PM
    • 20th May 05, 6:23 PM
    I freeze herbs in ice cube trays with a drop of water or leftover wine, then just chuck a few cubes in as required.
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 20th May 05, 7:18 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 20th May 05, 7:18 PM
    • 20th May 05, 7:18 PM
    Root ginger freezes well too, you can grate it from frozen
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 20th May 05, 7:24 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 20th May 05, 7:24 PM
    • 20th May 05, 7:24 PM
    Yeah I've got mine in the freezer already.

Ain't MSE wonderful?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • catznine
    • By catznine 20th May 05, 10:01 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    I have always dried my herbs in the mcrowave but have to say that the frozen ones I have bought do keep their taste and aroma so will go and give that a try.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge 35.77/120
  • Queenie
    I freeze herbs in ice cube trays with a drop of water or leftover wine, then just chuck a few cubes in as required.
    by MrsMW
    I do that (minus herbs) with any left over gravy and any wine that is in danger of not being used/poor quality, then decant all the 'cubes' into a poly bag.

Welcome to old style, great tip sarahmelita
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • catznine
    • By catznine 21st May 05, 9:33 AM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    I have frozen left over wine successfully (yes I do sometimes have some wine leftover - if I can hide the bottle!) It's great for adding to casseroles etc., never thought of adding herbs to the wine though. What a good idea!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge 35.77/120
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 21st May 05, 9:38 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    What Nigella also does is collect up any half full wine glasses at the end of an evening and freezes that too

I've always got some white wine i the freezer as I don't tend to drink that as often and feel it's a waste just to open a bottle to use for cooking, but more often than not I've got a bottle or two of red open so only freeze that if it's one I'm not overly keen on drinking
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Loadsabob
    My boyfriend grows chamomile, peppermint and lemon balm in my garden, for teas. He harvests the leaves of the last two more regularly than he makes the tea, to keep the plants growing, and the flowers of the chamomile as they appear, and uses them from the freezer in his infuser as he needs them. They stay perfectly fresh, and it really extends their season - he had chamomile tea daily for months after the plant had stopped producing flowers!

I have done this with shop-bought herbs too...I heard recommendation of lemon juice to keep the herbs' green colour...I've never bothered with that bit, as by the time I've finished with them they're disguised by whatever I'm cooking them in anyway!
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 23rd May 05, 9:06 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    My boyfriend grows chamomile, peppermint and lemon balm in my garden, for teas.
    by Loadsabob
    can you tell me how to make lemon balm tea? it smells a bit soapy to me....
  • Loadsabob
    All my boyfriend does is stuff a little metal infuser (for holding tealeaves) with some scrunched up lemon balm leaves (about as many as can fit comfortably in there and still let the water circulate...but you can adjust the amount according to taste), pops it in a cup and and pours boiling water over and lets it infuse.

I always think his smells lovely, really lemony. But he has it without honey or sugar - I think I'd need something a little bit sweet! It smells stronger than it tastes, it's quite delicate. Very good to chill you out, appreantly! He does the same with peppermint (good for aiding digestion) and the chamomile flowers (about four flowers a time), good for sleep.
    • MrsMondragon
    • By MrsMondragon 23rd May 05, 10:48 AM
    • 1,855 Posts
    • 3,662 Thanks
    MrsMondragon
    Freezing Food
    I peel and freeze garlic. It comes out a treat. Or sometimes I dont even peel it and freeze it. It peels much more easily when frozen.
  • Sharra
    Freezing herbs
    I now have a windowsill full of basil and parsley - i would like to freeze some of it to keep for if I run out and if the plants produce more than we can use.
    Am I better open freezing it whole, then bagging it up? Or would I be better chopping it up and freezing it in ice cube trays?
    Any suggestions appreciated
    Ta
    Sharra
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 9th May 06, 10:41 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    I'm not sure which is the best method,but I do the ice cube thing with success.You can drop a cube into soups or stews,or defrost in a sieve to use in other recipes.
  • Sharra
    Thanks
    Do you add water to the cubes when you freeze them or just the herbs as they are?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,891Posts Today

7,047Users online

Martin's Twitter